Pats to Meet with McDaniels this weekend

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats-bilbo. Show Pats-bilbo's posts

Pats to Meet with McDaniels this weekend

NBC's Pro Football Talk is saying that St. Louis has agreed to let McDaniels meet with Pats this weekend.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/06/patriots-will-speak-to-mcdaniels-this-weekend/

It says he could join team immeadiately.

Do you think this will happen immeadiately? If so is it a good idea to do this now?

I think it would be really risky to do it in the middle of the playoffs, but with O'Brien Distracted it may be the lesser of two evils.

What do you think?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmasschilly. Show wmasschilly's posts

Re: Pats to Meet with McDaniels this weekend

Interesting, I'm not surprised they want him back after the way BB praised him when he left, but I would definitely be surprised if he comes back for the playoffs--also I'm a little skeptical as this is being reported by Breer...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

If he does, he won't be calling plays or anything like that, probably more to observe and learn what has changed since he left.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Seems like a long shot for McD to return for the playoff run, but if he did I'd actually be all for it.  Maybe not let him do the play-calling, but just let him tweak a few things here and there...maybe throw in a couple new plays that NE hasn't shown this year just to give the opponents a little more to think about.  Could be interesting.  I'm all for him returning as the OC, just don't let him anywhere near the war room on draft day!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

I hope they sign him so they can release O'Blivious now.  This way Billy can start the failing process at Penn State immediately. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from xBruzer77. Show xBruzer77's posts

In Response to Re: Pats to Meet with McDaniels this weekend:
    [QUOTE]I hope they sign him so they can release O'Blivious now.  This way Billy can start the failing process at Penn State immediately. 
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

Hilarious tcal!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

There's no way they would bring him in and give him the reigns right away.  He'd be an "offensive assistant" and observe.  It'd be great to have his expertise on our side again...

Can't wait to see what they do officially.  But they aren't going to effectively castrate Bill O'Brien like that.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

I view McDaniels as a potential successor to Belichick so it would be nice to bring him back into the fold

I also view him as a huge upgrade over O'Brien

Win win all around.  I hope the Chiefs don't get him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

[QUOTE]I hope they sign him so they can release O'Blivious now.  This way Billy can start the failing process at Penn State immediately. 
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

Right on Tcal2  = I'd like to see McD back in NE.  I do think it's an upgrade over O'Brien - and now that HC experience that McD does have now, will only help!  Can't hurt - eventhough it wasn't that long.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlderbutWiser. Show OlderbutWiser's posts

McDaniels is not the man for OC for the Patriots. He failed miserably since going to Denver and ruined thr team. He hasn't fared much better with the Rams. I hope he does not return.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

[QUOTE]McDaniels is not the man for OC for the Patriots. He failed miserably since going to Denver and ruined thr team. He hasn't fared much better with the Rams. I hope he does not return.
    Posted by OlderbutWiser[/QUOTE]

Yeah he was a failure in the Patriots system.......

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

[QUOTE]McDaniels is not the man for OC for the Patriots. He failed miserably since going to Denver and ruined thr team. He hasn't fared much better with the Rams. I hope he does not return.

Sure, he failed outside of NE, but I think just the opposite here by coming back to NE, - I think he'll excel by coming back.  I feel the Pats think so too!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlderbutWiser. Show OlderbutWiser's posts

He caused a lot of conflict with players in Denver. It was a one-way road with him. He failed miserably judging player talent. He drafted Tebow as a quarterback in the first round and the guy cannot play the position. Almost everyone in Denver said don't waste a first round draft pick on Tebow but he insisted because he can make a quarterback. His record does not support his ego. He wanted Cassel to play in Denver over Cutler. KC is now washng its hands of Cassel. Marshall ran away to Miami. A promising RB went to play in Cleveland. He showed his true self in Denver and the city celebrated when he was fired. He did nothing notable in St. Louis. Has anyone ruined a team quicker than McDaniels did with the Broncos? His record speaks for itself.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

[QUOTE]I view McDaniels as a potential successor to Belichick so it would be nice to bring him back into the fold I also view him as a huge upgrade over O'Brien Win win all around.  I hope the Chiefs don't get him.
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188[/QUOTE]

Absolutely.  Getting McDaniels either right now, or in the offseason would be freakin' fantastic.  Good grief, you get a guy who's already familiar with many of the strengths & weaknesses in the skill-sets of NE players.  You get a guy who's already familiar with the way things work in NE's overall organization, and with how Belichick thinks and what he wants, and with the base system, schematics, and structure Belichick has had in place.  And finally, you're able to acquire a guy with botth new wealth & fuller wealths of what(?!?)=now 2-3 seperate NFL systems, and ALL the things about those teams specifically, Plus ALL the things (players, coaches, plays and schemes) that Josh McDaniels worked on and tinkered with, saw even the smallest successes and/or varied drawbacks inside the attempts, innovations, and executions thereof and in.  And lastly, you can GET all of this from a person, who's already BEEN the "New prodigy flavor-of-the-month Next NFL Head Coach", and 1 whose services as a head coach have already been tried, and subsequently largely dismissed.  It IS an absolute no-brainer and ideal situation by going after JM and hopefully getting him. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to "Re: Pats to Meet with McDaniels this weekend": [QUOTE]I hope they sign him so they can release O'Blivious now.  This way Billy can start the failing process at Penn State immediately.  Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE] lol... O'blivious... I like it. ( Hopefully gandalf understands it) Really like the clean break / hit the ground running move. I speculated on this earlier today. Why wait..? Mcd is 4 years older since 2007 and wiser (aka not as boneheaded). having a new guy who knows the job ( hello...? He did it already) come back 100% committed is better than the distractions of koko the monkey performing his antics half a$sed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

Better now than the soon to be ex-offensive coordinator and with a much higher ceiling.I never understood that constant barrage of complaints about McDaniels when he was the coordinator.Yes,he was young and did some things that mystified me but I thought he displayed incremental improvement and certainly seemed to have the support of the players at the time of his departure.From his standpoint this appears to be a much better career move than going to the Rams.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Agree McD is an upgrade who light years ahead at a younger age... 2007 was very impressive up until the final game.  He's the last guy to get anything from Maroney, I think he's be great.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4Adam13. Show 4Adam13's posts

[QUOTE]He caused a lot of conflict with players in Denver. It was a one-way road with him. He failed miserably judging player talent. He drafted Tebow as a quarterback in the first round and the guy cannot play the position. Almost everyone in Denver said don't waste a first round draft pick on Tebow but he insisted because he can make a quarterback. His record does not support his ego. He wanted Cassel to play in Denver over Cutler. KC is now washng its hands of Cassel. Marshall ran away to Miami. A promising RB went to play in Cleveland. He showed his true self in Denver and the city celebrated when he was fired. He did nothing notable in St. Louis. Has anyone ruined a team quicker than McDaniels did with the Broncos? His record speaks for itself.

I agree on the Tebow pick. But isn't it a one-way road with BB?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SANPAT. Show SANPAT's posts

In response to "Re: Pats to Meet with McDaniels this weekend": [QUOTE]McDaniels is not the man for OC for the Patriots. He failed miserably since going to Denver and ruined thr team. He hasn't fared much better with the Rams. I hope he does not return. Posted by OlderbutWiser[/QUOTE] He failed after he left; so he will succedd when he comes back. I loved his play calling. Now a days i can guesstimate what play is next. With mcdaniels it was very very difficult.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[QUOTE]He wanted Cassel to play in Denver over Cutler. KC is now washng its hands of Cassel.
    This is not true at all, he went on IR and did not feel like they could really go anywhere Palko.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

[QUOTE]He caused a lot of conflict with players in Denver. It was a one-way road with him. He failed miserably judging player talent. He drafted Tebow as a quarterback in the first round and the guy cannot play the position. Almost everyone in Denver said don't waste a first round draft pick on Tebow but he insisted because he can make a quarterback. His record does not support his ego. He wanted Cassel to play in Denver over Cutler. KC is now washng its hands of Cassel. Marshall ran away to Miami. A promising RB went to play in Cleveland. He showed his true self in Denver and the city celebrated when he was fired. He did nothing notable in St. Louis. Has anyone ruined a team quicker than McDaniels did with the Broncos? His record speaks for itself.

His problems in Denver probably had more to do with his personnel role than it did his coaching skills.  They gave him too much power and matched him with a rookie GM to boot.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pats to Meet with McDaniels this weekend : Absolutely.  Getting McDaniels either right now, or in the offseason would be freakin' fantastic.  Good grief, you get a guy who's already familiar with many of the strengths & weaknesses in the skill-sets of NE players.  You get a guy who's already familiar with the way things work in NE's overall organization, and with how Belichick thinks and what he wants, and with the base system, schematics, and structure Belichick has had in place.  And finally, you're able to acquire a guy with botth new wealth & fuller wealths of what(?!?)=now 2-3 seperate NFL systems, and ALL the things about those teams specifically, Plus ALL the things (players, coaches, plays and schemes) that Josh McDaniels worked on and tinkered with, saw even the smallest successes and/or varied drawbacks inside the attempts, innovations, and executions thereof and in.  And lastly, you can GET all of this from a person, who's already BEEN the "New prodigy flavor-of-the-month Next NFL Head Coach", and 1 whose services as a head coach have already been tried, and subsequently largely dismissed.  It IS an absolute no-brainer and ideal situation by going after JM and hopefully getting him. 
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium[/QUOTE]

*LIKE*

I've been saying this on ESPN Boston's comments since the story first surfaced.  Like Belichick, McDaniels experienced a little success in Denver (that 6-0 streak) but ran into problems and learned from them. 

He's worked with a couple decent defensive minds (Mike Nolan and Steve Spagnulo) and hopefully gained some knowledge on that side of the ball.

Furthermore, Belichick loves him.  Brady loves him.  He's a great quarterbacks coach (worked with Brady, Cassel, Hoyer).  He's best friends with Caserio, the guy who might be GM if he should ever take over (and Caserio or someone else would have to be GM because McDaniels is not a good personnel evaluator or manager).

All in all, the best move the Patriots could make.  A distant second would be if a great defensive coordinator fell into their laps, but Crennel looks like he'll stick in Kansas City.  I view them as a serious threat if McDaniels isn't viewed by Belichick as a future successor and/or if McDaniels is looking for somewhere to prove himself on his own outside New England to land a coaching job other than New England.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

BB failed in Cleverland than became a DC for a while.  Now he is thought of as one of the best coaches in football.  McD.  would be learning from the master again.  He is smart.  He will learn from his mistakes.  I would be excited to see him back.  I think our offense was never a question under him.  Hopefully he would be able to grow under BB and eventually take on a bigger role. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

I wonder if there's any possibility of McDaniels coming back during the playoffs as an assistant to O'Brien?  If he and O'Brien can work together (rather than butt heads), it might help with the transition, provide an additional point of view as they game plan for the playoffs, and ensure that someone is in charge if O'Brien gets distracted by his new job.  If they trip over each other, however, it will just create a distraction that no one needs.  Without knowing either of the two guys I'm not sure which would be a better situation, but it's something I guess I'd consider if I were BB.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Here comes more shot gun spread offense.

Rusty?