Pats to Meet with McDaniels this weekend

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

Re: Pats to Meet with McDaniels this weekend

Not with our 2 TE's.  If we could get a #2 outside reciever fairly cheap(either through FA or2nd or lower pick) then our O will be scarry, whoever the O coordinator is.  Save our dollars and high picks for the D.  We need S, OLB, DE/DT in the worst way with our top 3 picks, and a splash in FA at either S or OLB/DE.  A couple of little things go our way in Off season, and this team could be scarry good.  We could still win this year, but we are a flawed team.  The only reason I feel we can still win is all of the teams are flawed this year.  Teams are either offensive or defensive this year, virtually no one is balanced(giants are closest with steelers injuries).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from boomerst3. Show boomerst3's posts

In response to "Re: Pats to Meet with McDaniels this weekend": [QUOTE]McDaniels is not the man for OC for the Patriots. He failed miserably since going to Denver and ruined thr team. He hasn't fared much better with the Rams. I hope he does not return. Posted by OlderbutWiser[/QUOTE] Deion Branch was a failure when he left the Pats. He has done great since he came back. It can happen

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Moss07. Show Brady2Moss07's posts

In response to "Re: Pats to Meet with McDaniels this weekend": [QUOTE]He caused a lot of conflict with players in Denver. It was a one-way road with him. He failed miserably judging player talent. He drafted Tebow as a quarterback in the first round and the guy cannot play the position. Almost everyone in Denver said don't waste a first round draft pick on Tebow but he insisted because he can make a quarterback. His record does not support his ego. He wanted Cassel to play in Denver over Cutler. KC is now washng its hands of Cassel. Marshall ran away to Miami. A promising RB went to play in Cleveland. He showed his true self in Denver and the city celebrated when he was fired. He did nothing notable in St. Louis. Has anyone ruined a team quicker than McDaniels did with the Broncos? His record speaks for itself. Posted by OlderbutWiser[/QUOTE] I think he went to Denver and tried to be BB. It didn't go over well with the players there. Some of them likely premadonnas. Cutler and Marshall. I sort of look at it like belichicks first go around in Cleveland. I think mcdaniels will do better with a second shot at hc. Luv to have him back in ne.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

But.....Patsfan66 assured us that McDaniels would never come back because it's not a career advancement and we don't know anything about how that stuff works on this forum. LOL

But seriously, I agree, take this one with a grain of salt as Albert Breer is not exactly a Pulitzer type of reporter. Bringing him on in the middle of the playoffs wouldn't make any sense either, unless he was there to fill up the gatorade coolers and listen in...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

He was too YOUNG in Denver. Don't you need a little cred in this league...? BB had trouble in Cleveland. It takes a while... I think this trend of young head coaches has maxed out. Mcd actually took his name out of the running for hcs during the 2007 playoff run. I think he was 12 then... Mcd should just use the experience to be a BETTER OC. There is no shame in that. Again, use BB as an example when he reunited with parcells which worked out ok. He should feel glad the opportunity is there and jump at it. How the logistics play out is interesting and a bit juicy... Belichick was real short with any comments about the OC situation. I think he's pissed. Press conference at Penn st? I think he will have a press release of his own today . Once the details with mcd are set, BB will seize the opportunity of this bye week to replace obie with mcd.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

McDaniels would be better than O'B. But what I'm leery of is McDaniels flat out failed at Denver, and could only get two wins in St. Louis. He's not the miracle worker everyone thinks he is.

Any decent OC could come in into NE, and look great with the offense BB has built.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bilbosr. Show Bilbosr's posts

Just wanted to say thanks to all previous posters. Enjoy the fact that people shared opinions, agreed and disagreed and. Did not take this thread down with personal agendas or yelling at each other. Enjoy reading comments on this forum but tired of good topics/discussions turning into stupid pointless finger pointing and name calling Having said this I am sure it will lead to all the people that partake in this behavior to take this discussion down too.... Anyways need to recognize those that did not do it before now I think BB is evaluating the trade off of a distracted Obie which means he has to cover for him or bringing on MCD now and still have to cover for him a bit. The difference MCD would be motivated to succeed here and our opponents would not know what to suspect At least TB is a constant and that helps either way. Go Pats no more one and done, ever

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourjays30. Show fourjays30's posts

I would agree that you can't trust anything coming out of breer's mouth but Mike Lambardi has been saying this all week on the NFl network and I really believe Mike gets all of his information from BB since they go way back to their time in Cleveland. Besides this makes sense in regards to the development of Mallet. Josh is being brought back to develope Brady's successor.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to "Re: Pats to Meet with McDaniels this weekend": [QUOTE]But.....Patsfan66 assured us that McDaniels would never come back because it's not a career advancement and we don't know anything about how that stuff works on this forum. LOL But seriously, I agree, take this one with a grain of salt as Albert Breer is not exactly a Pulitzer type of reporter. Bringing him on in the middle of the playoffs wouldn't make any sense either, unless he was there to fill up the gatorade coolers and listen in... Posted by BostonTrollSpanker[/QUOTE] BTS... Your second paragraph may need a spanking since this team is famous for "OC by committee" or mystery OCs and of course the famous quote: "The plays will get called " by you- know -who in 2005 when noone was named to replace Weis.... Of course this situation is not ideal but neither was benching Welker last year. The point being that this is belichicks show. He being the detail wizard, probably has a plan for an OC having a heart attack. (and the team has done drills for that exact situation...lol) having mcd step in is a relative luxury. hmmm... We'll see... It's not boring.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogi3333. Show yogi3333's posts

I personally find it difficult to evaluate coaches, let alone coordinators in the NFL. Three Superbowl rings always helps, but how many coaches are frontmen delegating everything to subordinates? How many coaches are puppets of the owners? How many coordinators are managers versus leaders, the brains of the machine or just a cog implementing the plan of someone else?

What I do know is that few first time head coaches are successful. In fact, you would almost always rather have had a coach that failed somewhere else and made all their (rookie) mistakes. If their egos can handle the demotion, working the sidelines as a coordinator, proving themselves again is a win-win situation for them and the team they go to.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

Agree ... I expect mcd is better off having been through his experience ... And hopefully its noticeably in the results going forward.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Rapid reaction: Josh McDaniels

A few quick-hit thoughts on ESPN's report, from NFL Insider Adam Schefter, that Josh McDaniels is expected to return to the Patriots (link here): 

1. Great move. This was a slam dunk. I previously wrote strongly on the possibility because it looked like it had a realistic chance of happening with all the stars aligning (link here). While it hurts to lose offensive coordinator Bill O'Brien following the playoffs, this eases the blow, and sets up the possibility for a long-term net gain for the Patriots. 

2. Immediate start. This is the most compelling aspect of Schefter's report -- McDaniels is expected to start working now. I wondered if Bill Belichick would shy away from this, the idea of tweaking the overall coach-player dynamic, and the staff dynamic, heading into the playoffs. This speaks to Belichick's trust in McDaniels. 

3. Looks like the Rams just give the Patriots a gift. In a case like this, one wonders why the Rams wouldn't request some form of compensation from the Patriots for something so valuable. They didn't have to hold McDaniels "hostage", but they would have been doing what was best for the Rams by at least getting something in return. Perhaps they did and it simply isn't known at this point. 

4. What can McDaniels provide now? In his work as Rams offensive coordinator this year, McDaniels drew up plans against these playoff teams -- Giants, Ravens, Packers, Saints, Bengals, Steelers and 49ers. There is significant value in McDaniels' work for the Patriots in this regard. 

5. McDaniels-Belichick bond. The two coaches remained close since McDaniels departed to become Broncos head coach. In the documentary "Bill Belichick: A Football Life", there was the scene where Belichick met with McDaniels before the game and they talked about passing on the game-ending handshake. Belichick wanted to avoid the media circus. The two later had dialogue on trades, and would convene at league meetings, their bond remaining strong

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In Response to Re: Pats to Meet with McDaniels this weekend:
    [QUOTE]I wonder if there's any possibility of McDaniels coming back during the playoffs as an assistant to O'Brien?  If he and O'Brien can work together (rather than butt heads), it might help with the transition, provide an additional point of view as they game plan for the playoffs, and ensure that someone is in charge if O'Brien gets distracted by his new job.  If they trip over each other, however, it will just create a distraction that no one needs.  Without knowing either of the two guys I'm not sure which would be a better situation, but it's something I guess I'd consider if I were BB.  
    Posted by prolate0spheroid[/QUOTE]

Guess I got my answer Smile

I like the move . . .  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

pro... Assistant means asst to BB not O'Brien. Mcd would never come here to be asst to a position he formerly held. O'Brien is history .

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

[QUOTE]pro... Assistant means asst to BB not O'Brien. Mcd would never come here to be asst to a position he formerly held. O'Brien is history .
    Posted by coolade2[/QUOTE]

Yeah . . . I understand that.  But for this playoff session, I suspect O'Brien will still be taking the helm as OC, but McDaniels will assist him (and BB) with the game planning. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

[QUOTE]There's no way they would bring him in and give him the reigns right away.  He'd be an "offensive assistant" and observe.  It'd be great to have his expertise on our side again... Can't wait to see what they do officially.  But they aren't going to effectively castrate Bill O'Brien like that.
    Posted by Ytsejamer1[/QUOTE]
    I have to gloat...if for no one else but myself here! :)  Carry on.  Good day for the Pats all around.  I can't complain whatsoever.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to "Re: Pats to Meet with McDaniels this weekend": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pats to Meet with McDaniels this weekend : I have to gloat...if for no one else but myself here! :)  Carry on.  Good day for the Pats all around.  I can't complain whatsoever. Posted by Ytsejamer1[/QUOTE] I wouldn't gloat yet... The bye week isn't over ...lol... Those balls aren't safe yet...

Sections
Shortcuts