Pats travelling a day early to adjust to altitude.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Re: Pats travelling a day early to adjust to altitude.

In response to coolade2's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to carawaydj's comment:
    [QUOTE]

According to Reiss, this has nothing at all to do with altitude.  The Pats usually do this whenver they are playing a 1PM EST game in a different time zone.  The game is being played at 11:00 AM local time in Denver.

[/QUOTE]

wrong 3pm eastern 1pm mtn.

[/QUOTE]

Indeed.  Nonetheless, the reason for travelling on Friday is due to the time zone difference, not the altitude.  http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4757654/patriots-will-fly-to-denver-today

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I've skied at Vail and Breckenridge many times, and never really felt much, if any effect from the altitude.  A friend of mine got pretty woozy from it at one point, but I didn't feel any different than I do at our local mountains in WA and ID, even though they are much lower elevation.  I guess it affects everyone a little differently.  Getting there 2 days early should help most of the players, at least somewhat.  I'm sure BB will have them as ready as possible.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

There have been studies that three days after arriving is the worst time for your body in that altitiude and has the worst effect. Heard that on the radio the other day, but then again these are professional athletes we're talking about here...plus they have oxygen on the sideline.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauldeba. Show pauldeba's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I've skied at Vail and Breckenridge many times, and never really felt much, if any effect from the altitude.  A friend of mine got pretty woozy from it at one point, but I didn't feel any different than I do at our local mountains in WA and ID, even though they are much lower elevation.  I guess it affects everyone a little differently.  Getting there 2 days early should help most of the players, at least somewhat.  I'm sure BB will have them as ready as possible.

[/QUOTE]

You ski downhill.  Try snowboarding and when you overpass the lift and have to walk up the hill 50-100 feet at the top it can be brutal

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

In response to pauldeba's comment:
    [QUOTE]

5,000 feet isn't that significant, but 2 days is significantly more than 0 or 1.  Costa Rica is almost 4,000 feet and I feel almost nothing running on a treadmill for an hour at the same speed I do at sea level.  I go about twice a year.  By the 3rd day, i have no difference.  And running without stop is a lot harder than shortbursts followed by 40 seconds of rest to recover your oxygen.  The hitting on the line will not be a lung affecting activity, it will be the receivers, running backs and defensive backs only.  There will probably be no effect on the participants during play, unless they have individual issues with altitude, ,maybe a few do, not everyone.

[/QUOTE]

I agree--I've lived in Prscott AZ(5200 feet) and Flagstaff AZ(7000 feet) and I can say that 5000 feet was not a problem for me to acclimate and I was 45?50 years old at the time and not in the shape these guys are in. It starts around 6000-6500 feet where it would effect these types of athletes? No worry in my opnion?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

The altitude near Denver goes way up fast.  A 20 minute drive (on a Saturday morning at least) can get players up to 7,000 feet if they want a jog. 

Yes, altitude has traditionally been a home field advantage for Denver.  However, other teams have had better actual home field numbers, particularly Seattle, San Francisco and Baltimore.  SF and Seattle have this advantage of most non-division teams traveling 3,000 miles out (it's a long, exhausting plane ride).  Also, SF is geared for a perpetual sunny, nice warm field with little wind.  Due credit to SF for surviving Green Bay and a rusty Aaron Rodgers somehow.  Baltimore?  Probably the home crowd works any gullible refs within an inch of their lives.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Or maybe BB's son is into Colorado's new tourism phenomenon.  He got busted once.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

In response to ccnsd's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's not going to make much of a differance. Two days or less is not enough time for your body to adapt a whole lot.

[/QUOTE]

True, the body will not adjust. But it is important for Brady to throw the ball at altitude, espeically with the added adrenaline of playoff football.

If you remember the '05 playoff game in Denver, Tom was overthrowing everything.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Belichick was an assistant coach with the Broncos in 1978. He knows the territory.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

In response to digger0862's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Belichick was an assistant coach with the Broncos in 1978. He knows the territory.

[/QUOTE]

Here's pointing back at you digger. Thanks.

This piece by Denver scribe Woody Paige (2008) is a reminder of how BB started his jouney in the NFL.
    Things about the GHCOAT are rooted in facts we believe are true but BB was really a product of Red Millers coaching tree in Denver, 1978. Some unique tidbits and fun reading here as well.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_8104421

I recommend it. Fun reading.   ;-))

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to NY-PATS-FAN4's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ccnsd's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It's not going to make much of a differance. Two days or less is not enough time for your body to adapt a whole lot.

[/QUOTE]

True, the body will not adjust. But it is important for Brady to throw the ball at altitude, espeically with the added adrenaline of playoff football.

If you remember the '05 playoff game in Denver, Tom was overthrowing everything.

[/QUOTE]

Excellent point.   The ball flies through the air a little different.  Need to adjust to it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In response to palookaski's comment:

Here's pointing back at you digger. Thanks.

This piece by Denver scribe Woody Paige (2008) is a reminder of how BB started his jouney in the NFL.
    Things about the GHCOAT are rooted in facts we believe are true but BB was really a product of Red Millers coaching tree in Denver, 1978. Some unique tidbits and fun reading here as well.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_8104421

I recommend it. Fun reading.   ;-))

Cool read. Thanks!

Sections
Shortcuts