Pats v Saints game plan

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Pats v Saints game plan

Whats it look like tonight?
    Do the Pats play cover 2, dont give up anything behind them but allow anything in front of them?
    But try to take away the run and Shockey?
    Assuming Brees will be on target anyways, probably makes sense to stack the line and try to take away the run.
    Will we see the Pats run 50 times tonight trying to keep Brees off the field?
    I expect 2 key players tonight to be Gostowski and Hansen...touchbacks on KO's and angled punts (no long FG attempts) out of bounds inside the 20 to lengthen the field for Brees.
    Will Morris be healthy enough to carry 15 times?
    Get a few screens to Maroney!
    Remember the draw!
    Mayo needs 15 tackles tonight...Guyton 10
    Pats need 2 turnovers
    Pats need 3 sacks
    Watson/Baker need 4 catches
    Anyway it falls tonight, big win yesterday for the Bills to take the Dolphin pressure off

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

Re: Pats v Saints game plan

Defense:Key is getting to Brees. Can't not cover every receiver every time, have to make Brees pay on every play, rush him, sack him, get in his face. We have beaten him before.

Schemes will be mixed to confuse Brees as much as possible.

Offense:Get Wes going early. Once that is done then Randy will be open and running and screens will open up. Tom has to have "some" time, not a lot, which is why Wes is key, quick outs. Running, anything we can get to make it a threat will be a plus.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

I don't like Cover 2 the whole way because the Saints have the speed to exploit the seams.  It's of the utmost importance to make life as difficult as possible for Brees by disguising everything.  I know he might have success anyway, but they can't give him free license to do as he pleases.

I think it would be HUGE if the Patriots can grind it out with the Saints.  They could run a no-huddle, but milk the play clock and control time of possession.  In this way, they could prevent the Saints from substituting (they only have a right to MATCH the Pats' substitutions) but also keep Brees off of the field while also wearing down their defense.

Eyes on Sharper - I bet they can use his aggression against him and get him to jump routes.

Getting Welker and Moss into the slot and into trips to get them matched up against backup DB's will be big.  It'll also be big to recognize man coverage and exploit it.

Maroney - this is your night to shine.  I fear the Saints' ability to control the clock with their running game and I think the Pats need to match this strength with strength of their own.

Springs - this may also be your time to shine.  We haven't seen you really since Buffalo on opening night against T.O., but Colston seems like a very similar matchup and we need you to do your thang.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from AsylumGuido. Show AsylumGuido's posts

In Response to Re: Pats v Saints game plan:
    Defense: Key is getting to Brees. Can't not cover every receiver every time, have to make Brees pay on every play, rush him, sack him, get in his face. We have beaten him before. Offense: Get Wes going early. Once that is done then Randy will be open and running and screens will open up. Tom has to have "some" time, not a lot, which is why Wes is key, quick outs. Running, anything we can get to make it a threat will be a plus.
    Posted by gmbill

Excuse me?  The Patriots have beaten Brees before?  Brees is 2-0 in his career versus the Patriots.  He defeated the Patriots 21-14 in San Diego on 9-29-2002 and once again defeated the Patriots at New England 41-17 on 10-2-2005.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

I don't like Cover 2 the whole way because the Saints have the speed to exploit the seams.  It's of the utmost importance to make life as difficult as possible for Brees by disguising everything.  I know he might have success anyway, but they can't give him free license to do as he pleases. I think it would be HUGE if the Patriots can grind it out with the Saints.  They could run a no-huddle, but milk the play clock and control time of possession.  In this way, they could prevent the Saints from substituting (they only have a right to MATCH the Pats' substitutions) but also keep Brees off of the field while also wearing down their defense. Eyes on Sharper - I bet they can use his aggression against him and get him to jump routes. Getting Welker and Moss into the slot and into trips to get them matched up against backup DB's will be big.  It'll also be big to recognize man coverage and exploit it. Maroney - this is your night to shine.  I fear the Saints' ability to control the clock with their running game and I think the Pats need to match this strength with strength of their own. Springs - this may also be your time to shine.  We haven't seen you really since Buffalo on opening night against T.O., but Colston seems like a very similar matchup and we need you to do your thang.
    Posted by NickC1188

Great over view Nick, I agree with all. Not a fan of cover 2 with Saints either. Also we have to acount for their secret weapon as per Guido, I have him on ignore but I can channel him when needed, The aints have a "special feeling for eahc other......

"In Response to Re: the pats fast start,and slow finish vs the saints slow start and strong finish.who has the edge? : I knew there would be someone incapable of understanding.  First of all, it has been impossible to get Saints tickets for years except by aftermarket means.  Those 70,000 fans are likely made up of around 90% of the same people that were there on that Monday night four years ago for the first game, post-Katrina, against the Falcons, and the same 70,000 that have been there every game.  You are clearly speaking from ignorance of the facts. You simply do not understand the special bond between these players and their fans and city.  It is real.  The fact that you don't believe it makes it no less real.  You have no idea how many players came to the Saints over the past couple of years for less than they could have gotten elsewhere just to be part of something special.  Name another team that would spend 2 hours meeting fans after arriving home from an away game late on Sunday night?  This is a regular occurences.  Thousands of Saints fans regularly great the team at the airport.  So, keep your cynicism to yourself, or not if you wish to make yourself seem foolish.
    Posted by AsylumGuido

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

9/29/02:

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/scoreboard?seasonYear=2002&seasonType=2&weekNumber=4

LT beat us that day (27 car, 217 yds, 2 tds). Seems like Brees was...wait for it...a game manager in that one.

10/2/05:

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=251002017

Again, let's look at the running game. I don't think you can say Brees beat us.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from AsylumGuido. Show AsylumGuido's posts

9/29/02: http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/scoreboard?seasonYear=2002&seasonType=2&weekNumber=4 LT beat us that day (27 car, 217 yds, 2 tds). Seems like Brees was...wait for it...a game manager in that one. 10/2/05: http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=251002017 Again, let's look at the running game. I don't think you can say Brees beat us.
    Posted by apdynasty23

No, I am responding to the poster that said that the Patriots have beaten Brees before.  I was pointing out the fact that the Patriots have never beaten Brees.  In no way did I imply that Brees was the ONE that beat them.  I simply stated the irrevocable fact that Brees is 2-0 versus the Pats.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlanfromBigEasy. Show AlanfromBigEasy's posts

The noise in the SuperDome tonight will be louder than any of the Patriots have ever experienced (except a very few in college).  So loud it can be felt#.  Emotional fans and a concrete dome roof to focus the noise back to the field.

No audibles, no radio info, and even huddles will be difficult for Brady. Silent count.

At a gut level, the noise also has an effect. Positive for the Saints, not so for the Patriots.

The Patriots offense will be affected by the lack of adjustments (except at half time), so shifting defenses will be effective.

Quite frankly, the Saints want this game much more than the Pats do.

Best Hopes,

Alan

# I was in the Dome for the 1991 Sugar Bowl, the National Championship between #2 Alabama (-17 point spread) and #1 Miami.  There were several reasons for the rout, but crowd noise was certainly one factor.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pauldeba. Show pauldeba's posts

"The noise in the SuperDome tonight will be louder than any of the Patriots have ever experienced (except a very few in college).  "

I guess that's why they have never been beaten at home in the past 40 years.  By far, the greatest home field advantage in the history of sports and the most storied franchise in the NFL. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

The noise in the SuperDome tonight will be louder than any of the Patriots have ever experienced (except a very few in college).  So loud it can be felt#.  Emotional fans and a concrete dome roof to focus the noise back to the field. No audibles, no radio info, and even huddles will be difficult for Brady. Silent count. At a gut level, the noise also has an effect. Positive for the Saints, not so for the Patriots. The Patriots offense will be affected by the lack of adjustments (except at half time), so shifting defenses will be effective. Quite frankly, the Saints want this game much more than the Pats do. Best Hopes, Alan # I was in the Dome for the 1991 Sugar Bowl, the National Championship between #2 Alabama (-17 point spread) and #1 Miami.  There were several reasons for the rout, but crowd noise was certainly one factor.
    Posted by AlanfromBigEasy

Also this http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from soyi3oy. Show soyi3oy's posts

9/29/02: http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/scoreboard?seasonYear=2002&seasonType=2&weekNumber=4 LT beat us that day (27 car, 217 yds, 2 tds). Seems like Brees was...wait for it...a game manager in that one. 10/2/05: http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=251002017 Again, let's look at the running game. I don't think you can say Brees beat us.
    Posted by apdynasty23

'Cause it's not like the Saints have a top 5 rushing attack now.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from AsylumGuido. Show AsylumGuido's posts

In Response to Re: Pats v Saints game plan : 'Cause it's not like the Saints have a top 5 rushing attack now.
    Posted by soyi3oy

Touche'

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

My big concern is the health of the offensive line. If we're missing more than one of the Vollmer, Kaczur, Light trio (all three of whom were on the injury report this week) I think we may have problems on offense.  We need good run blocking and good pass blocking to score points and control the ball. If the offensive line is weakened by injury, we'll have to win with defense and that scares me against this offense. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I think you will see Light, Vollmer, Kaczur and Neal all play tonight. I think Taylor is obviously out....everyone else COULD play. It will be interesting to see the inactive list....
    I dont think the Saints D-line is so physical that if healthy the PAts O-line could have their way in ball control.
    Pats could score over 30 on this Saints D..but do they want to? Or rather they play keep away/ball control and win 20-17?

Sections
Shortcuts