Pats versus Steelers - Why we Win on Sunday

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from alex978. Show alex978's posts

Re: Pats versus Steelers - Why we Win on Sunday

i hope bb hid some tapes because we're going to need them against pitts. 
    pitts not only plays harder, like 100MPH harder, but their players have killer instincts. maybe our young kids are skilled and are becoming BB technically sound, but to be a superior team you need the intangibles that pitts players have. we're not even close. we're getting by teams that shoot themselves in the foot. another regular season of being paper tigers. 

can anyone tell me why our defense has been terrible for the last 4 years? 
    no legit pass rush or shut down corner. homeland defense seems like a distant dream more than an old memory.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

"terrible"?

After 2008, he was trying replace FOUR former Pro Bowl veterans.

The 2007 D went to the Super Bowl.

You're comments are as goofy as your photo.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATKILLER92. Show PATKILLER92's posts

In Response to Re: Pats versus Steelers - Why we Win on Sunday:
    Better WRs?  Absolutely not. Name their 3rd WR.  Randel El?  Please. Branch, Welker, Hernandez (a WR essentially), Tate and Edelman?    Edelman can't even see the field because of Hernandez. Pitt does not match up well against NE. Even their own fans concede this.
    Posted by BBReigns

WATCH OUT FOR MIKE WALLACE #17 FAST FASTER FASTEST!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Good thing you unearthed your account for the first time in 2 years. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 19andNo. Show 19andNo's posts

Disagree completely.  Graham is a solid kicker. I can't believe how overrated the concept of a kick off is.  Graham has been around and can kick. Mankins is back. Do people watch the Pitt games this year?  Atlanta took them to OT, Baltimore handled them in Pitt and New Orleans handled them in NOLA. They beat up on Cleveland. Ok. Nice job. If Shipley does not fumble, they lose to Cincy, a team NE plastered. Huge game, NE plays better in games like this than against a team they should beat. NE will be the underdog, BB will have them ready. Pitt's run game is able to be contained and they can gameplan for Roethlisturd.  Keep him into a pocket. He likes to try to slither through, so they;ll need to keep a spy on him underneath. Is Chung ready?
    Posted by BBReigns

Boy are you delusional.

First, the Steelers beat the Falcons with their 3rd string QB.  They did what they had to to win.  No shame there.  Try winning a game with whoever your 3rd stringer QB is.

Second, the Steelers were beating Baltimore with their backup QB before losing on the last play of the game.  No shame there either. 

Third, Losing to the reigning Super Bowl champs on primetime at their house after an embarassing loss the prior week to Cleveland is nothing to be ashamed of.  It happens.

Forth, they were punishing the Bengals, in primetime, in their house on their 3rd staright road game before they let their foot of the gas.  In the end the defense made a stop and they walked away with an ugly win. 

Do we need to go over the Patriot wins?  A total Miami special teams meltdown in the 2nd half, the Chargers not only drop a live ball they run away from a backward pass, the Vikings player misses an easy interceptions which falls into the lap of Tate then shortly after that Brady throws a prayer to him which is answered.  Not impressive wins by any means.  You saw what happens last weekend when teams don't hand the Patriots the game.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I'm still itching to see Edelman come around on a reverse, stop, and chuck it downfield to an open Hernandez. I mean is that SO HARD to call!?
    Posted by apdynasty23

Its hard to call if your name is O'Brien...But you are absolutely right. Why not utilize all the strengths of our players? Edelman can throw, so why not let him on some trick play. Defense will have to play him honest because he is a legit WR. 

I would also like to see some creativity sprinkled in with this offense. They have a bunch of quick players who can do multiple things, so why not use them accordingly...we'll never know.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

Grogan.. I couldn't disagree more. They have a chance against Pittsburgh but they'll need the help of a TD from special teams/DEF to do it.  24-21 kind of game.  New England does NOT match up well against Indy.  The only saving grace is that they play in Foxboro. Detroit is NOT and automatic W.  See Cleveland. Beating the Jets at home will be the defining moment of the season.  Do that and take care of  CHI,GB,MIA, BUFF 3 out of 4, you got 11-5 a likely outcome.  That may be enough to win the division and get a home game as a #3 seed. The problem with that position is you will likely get NYJ/BALT/PITT for the Wild Card Round. 
    Posted by SShoreLurker

Lurker, if the Pats were playing a healthy Colt team in Indy, then I would see it as the toughest matchup for the Pats this season.  But the Colts are injured and are coming to foxboro.  Pittsburgh on the other hand is a team with a strong D and solid running game, a combination thats been hurting the Pats for quite awhile now.  As far as Detriot goes, I will always take the Pats over weak defensive teams, and Detriot is one of them.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

The Pats offense has gone from the best in the nfl to one of the worst. I'm praying that we get out of this and find a way to score points

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Pittsburgh is good and I have them as about 4 point favorites at home, the same as Vegas.  Here are a few non-numeric factors, mostly in the Patriots' defense:

Pittsburgh keeps moving its offensive line around because of injuries.  They and not Big Ben are the heart of the offense, but now Max Starks joins the parade off of the line.  Quite a bit of the team has not practiced this week.  A number of Pittsburgh players may take the field but they may not be at 100%, nor will their timing be guaranteed.

Cleveland had two weeks to prepare for the Patriots.  Pittsburgh has 6 days.  The Patriots are a notably unusual team.  The Patriots are deliberately hard to prepare for, with either a tiny tailback or with Fred Taylor on different downs, with pulling guards in Steve Neal and now Logan Mankins, both of whom are excellent run blockers, with an oversized blocking receiver in Hernandez, with several lateral explosion receivers in Welker, Edelman, Woodhead, with a huge and strong pass-catching tight end in Gronk, and with a quarterback who regularly throws to 8 or 10 different receivers.   

The Patriots looked absolutely injured last week.  I don't know how much they will recover but I'm hopeful.  Fred Taylor is practicing this week, an upgrade over the Law Firm.  Wilfork looked awful and could probably use a week of rest.  Logan Mankins was worse than useless out there last week.  Hopefully Mankins needs to knock the rust off. 

(Worse case, he's begging BB to sit down for the rest of the season so he can sign a real contract without any damaging nicks on his body, as in, "you pretend to pay me and I'll pretend to play.  Deal?"  If Mankins is dogging it in real games I think he'll be yanked before the half ends.)

(The other negative for the Patriots was losing Ghost.  This loss subtracts maybe 20 yards of ground, all told, from the Patriots.)

The rookies were all genuine rooks last week.  Brandon Deaderick looked bad.  Gronk was stupid but that could be a rookie needing humble pie.  Hernandez dropped too many.  Cunningham was bad.  McCourty was bad too.  These guys all may improve in seven days with a little glowering by the coaching staff.

So, that's the case for the Patriots playing a lot better, and for Pittsburgh's timing being a little off through lack of practice and through shuffling of positions

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SmokingJoe. Show SmokingJoe's posts

The PATS were humbled last Sunday and all this week by BB
    The PATS will be highly motivated and focussed this week.

I think this is a Season Defining Game.... Equal to the Game in Indy last year.  Hopefully with a different outcome.

If we win this one, against the "vaunted" steelers, this will be a huge confidence booster.  Will definitely set up the 2nd half of the season.

We win because we match up well with the Steelers.  Steelers on short rest with some key injuries is good news for us.  I can't wait until Sunday....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Grogan.. I couldn't disagree more. They have a chance against Pittsburgh but they'll need the help of a TD from special teams/DEF to do it.  24-21 kind of game.  New England does NOT match up well against Indy.  The only saving grace is that they play in Foxboro. Detroit is NOT and automatic W.  See Cleveland. Beating the Jets at home will be the defining moment of the season.  Do that and take care of  CHI,GB,MIA, BUFF 3 out of 4, you got 11-5 a likely outcome.  That may be enough to win the division and get a home game as a #3 seed. The problem with that position is you will likely get NYJ/BALT/PITT for the Wild Card Round. 
    Posted by SShoreLurker

I say a likely loss vs. steelers. .....and GB is not a gimmee either.Laughing

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TroyBrown80. Show TroyBrown80's posts

Depends.  If the N.E. team that played Cleveland shows up, forget it.  If the normal team does, they should be able to do it.  I'm betting the normal team shows.  These are the fires that victors are forged in.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from whitetrashgang. Show whitetrashgang's posts

Because BB can easily gameplan around a zone blitz.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SmokingJoe. Show SmokingJoe's posts

Pats will WIN on Sunday.... Pittsburgh is Over-rated, Pats match up well with the Steelers and the Steelers have lots of injuries.  Pats are focussed and motivated...

Taylor back in the fold... all signs favorable.

No huddle, 4 WR spread Offense and it will deflate the Blitzburgh Pass Rush....

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

The Steelers D are pretty healthy. They should be able to handle the Pats running game.

The O-line, Gronk and Crumpler will need to block and protect Brady, who need to be very accurate this week. The key will be the ability of the WR's to get open and catch the ball.

Pats D took a step back last week, but against a weak Steelers O-line the Pats should be able to stop the running game and hopefully pressure Röthlisberger.

If Pats D give Röthlisberger time then he will eventually get a big play off of a broken play.

It will be interesting to see how Pats special teams play works out with new LS and kicker.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leonard15. Show Leonard15's posts

Call me a troll, or a lurker or whatever, but I don't see a win vs. Steelers.  Will likely win vs. Detroit, but I only say that knowing their QB situation...  Then again, NE's defense has a way of making lesser QB's look like Montana.  Don't get caught up in stats like scoring average... look at the product on the field.  It starts with Bill O'Briens inept playcalling.  Everything just looks out of sync and uncreative. You have an O line that was designed to pass protect.  They've never been great at run blocking, but now, they even struggle in pass protection... Here again, don't get caught up in stats on the low sack numbers on Brady.  The big reason the screen game isn't working is that most of the time, Brady is throwing while falling backwards to avoid being crushed.  That's why most of his short screen stuff is hitting the dirt a yard short of the receiver.  Matt Light is a revolving door against speed edge rushers and barely holds his own these days against average D's, which Pittsburghs is NOT.  No, Brady isn't getting sacked a lot, but that doesn't mean he has time to throw... Most of the time he doesn't and when he does, he has a rookie TE drop the ball. This is a one dimensional team that has to cover for the D with an offense that has no identity yet.  You have a defense with no solid defensive end.  You're basically looking at 3 nose tackles on the D line, so there's no edge speed.  There's no real threat of a pass rush from the LB corps.  And we all know the db's are young.  Not much semblance of a real running game and that certainly isn't going to change against Pitt's D. You can all say that BB served them up a batch of humble pie this week and they'll be motivated...  THEY SHOULDN'T NEED TO BE MOTIVATED.  They should've been motivated to put their heels into the throat of a lesser team last week and have a killer instinct, which they seem to lack terribly, on both sides of the ball.  They were flat out man-handled and out-hustled and out-coached last week by what should have been an inferior team, which begs the question of maybe they aren't as good as the record indicates. I'm not nearly as concerned with Pittsburgh torching our D as I am with seeing Brady laying in a crumpled heap because he doesn't even have enough time to dump off a screen pass. And yes, Indy may be dinged up, but it doesn't matter much if Peyton has no pass rush in his face...  He'll torch this D if they can't find a way to get to him, which they haven't demonstrated yet this year. Of course it doesn't help that the Raiders are dropping that first round pick of ours lower and lower with each passing week, but it doesn't matter much anyway, as I'm sure BB will pass on a stud LB (see Clay Matthews) or RB and trade it down for a "value" pick.  Pile on me now, but I see Pitt winning 24-13
    Posted by manowar333

I pretty much agree with your assessment on this Sunday's game and the outlook for the remainder of this season as I recognize the flaws and they need to addressed in order for this team to win another Superbowl anytime soon.

As far as this weeks game goes, well the O-line will be hard pressed to give Tom the protection that he needs as the only way the Pat's score is if they throw early & often in an attempt to attack the Steelers only weakness on defense which is their corners in pass covereage as Ike Taylor, Bryant McFadden and Willie Gay can be beat. But with that being said the Pat's WR's can't seem to get open and thus it's gonna mean Tom either has to eat it or get rid of it early for a minimal gain or just an incomplete pass and thus have to end up punting. I am not going to even mention running the ball as for starters you can't against the Steelers defense and also we have no consistent running game. As far as people stating the Pat's are second in the league in terms of ppg, well that is a very deceiving stat as the only games in which the Pat's offense scored with consistency was the Cincy game and the Bill game and also the 40 pts put up on the Dolphins were mainly from the special teams and defense. As far as the Pat's defense goes, well they can't stop the pass as they continue to not be able to find CB's who can replace Ty Law, Ty Poole and Asante Samuels and thus they just get thrown on repeatedly. It doesn't help when you can't stop the run or rush the passer. So Fat Head Ben will most likely light up the Pat's defense and also look for Rashard Mendenhall to have big gains much like Peyton Hillis did last week.

It's funny how people saying we have to be patient with this young defense but I don't buy that for 1 minute as this team has shown it was unable to replenish it's players that won them 3 Superbowls and thus they are now left with junk. Look at the Steelers as they always find away to replace their linebacker and DL men, as the only area on defense where they are suspect is the CB position.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

You have an O line that was designed to pass protect.  They've never been great at run blocking, ...
    Posted by manowar333

Actually it's not the O-line.  Steve Neal and Logan Mankins are both nasty run-blockers, and they can run, which means they can pull and block elsewhere.  Next, BB is very often going with TE Alge Crumpler, who is essentially another tackle, with Gronk, who is also essentially another tackle except he can run like a wide receiver and has soft hands, and with Hernandez, who blocks ok at 245 pounds. 

It's what runs behind the O-line that is the problem.  BJGE is an undrafted free agent that made the team.  I don't expect miracles out of him.  Everybody ahead of him is apparently injured or traded away.  This week marks the return of Fred Taylor. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I agree, Paul. I don't get why people say they aren't built for run blocking when Mankins and Neal are arguably the best duo in the AFC for Guards.

You add it Crumpler, Gronk, etc, on the edges with Light and Vollmer, and it's a very nasty unit.

O'Brien just needs to commit to it early and to avoid straying from it.

I also like the zone blocking options they implement, which is why many backs look good in that particular scheme.

Run the ball dammit!

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from steelersnumber1. Show steelersnumber1's posts

Big day for Woodhead... Very Laughable...

... Nobody Runs on Pittsburgh.
    Brady will have to get good protection and throw over 45 times and be right on all game long... for the Pats to have any shot at all.

Steelers 38 Patsies 30

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from steelersnumber1. Show steelersnumber1's posts

"Because BB can easily gameplan around a zone blitz."

Yes... He's a Genius. Had a great game plan in Cleveland last week too.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I don't think he gameplanned 2 turnovers that swung the game to 14 points for Cleveland, Einstein.

But, yes, we know he's a genius.   He's only been to SEVEN Super Bowls as a coach.

"SteelersNumber1".  My word. What are you, 15 years old?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from steelersnumber1. Show steelersnumber1's posts

"SteelersNumber1".  My word. What are you, 15 years old?
    ---
    Nah, but I know that infuriates you know-it-all Bean-Towners.
    Speaking of Belicheat... he was not a genius in Cleveland when he coached there... Methinks Tom Brady makes him look smarter than he actually is... that and "Illegally Taping" the Steelers in the first part of the decade.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

You mean "legally" taping the Steelers, Corky.

The one Matt Walsh tape we saw had Pittsburgh appropriately providing him with a specified location, LEGALLY.  Gee, I am confused.

Pitt stadiume personnel properly gave a NE intern legal filming position at a sideline view.

This is what idiots like you don't get.

Filming is legal.

The location where some teams ended up filming from on the road, started to become illegal based upon changes to the original rule.

Glad I could help you forget the fact that Bill Cowher got caught with his pants down FOUR TIMES AT HOME DURING AFC TITLE games? It was an annual right of passage for him, apparently.

Blame him and your immature teams, not some intern legally shooting a game that your team is shooting also.

Pathetic excuses. As usual.

Was a camera needed for blocked FGs, punt returns for TDs, INTs or anything else in those games?  lol

Do we need to mention Pitt's entire 70s teams were gacked up on illegal steroids and were busted for trying to deceive the salary cap in the 1990s???

Hmmm.

I'd pipe it down, Mr. pasty face. Back to the trucker sandwich and iron city beer as you wait on that yellow towel to stop tumbling in the dryer for Sunday.

Keep overlooking the Pats. It's what you rubes are good at, apparently.

P.S. When Belichick was scapegpated out of Cleveland by Modell, his new QB (Testaverde) was set to go to Pro Bowls.

HIs unpopularity and media scapegoating has nothing to do with the facts. He cleaned an aging expensive team at the dawn of the cap era and had them in the playoffs moving forward.

I'd read and learn before opening your yap.  Good luck in 12th grade next year.

Sections
Shortcuts