Pats will NOT over pay for Welker

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Pats will NOT over pay for Welker

I just want to say this, whether it’s Wes Welker or Tom Brady or Logan Mankins or any player, when we decide what our limit is on what we can afford to pay a player, it’s not like whatever we don’t pay to that player the Kraft family are putting in their pockets. It’s about trying to build a team and have certain disciplines, and knowing that you need a team of 53 players on your roster. So whatever money we don’t give to Wes Welker is going to go to other players to build a team. - Bobby Kraft

I'm sure they'll work it out, but Kraft is standing firm with those comments.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Re: Pats will NOT over pay for Welker

I wonder where WW fits in on this list. Right noe he's having a better year than alot of these high paid WRs

http://www.numeroten.com/top10/sports/files/top-10-highest-paid-wide-receivers-in-the-nfl-2011.html

here's the stats:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=RECEIVING&conference=null&season=2011&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=RECEIVING_YARDS&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-n=1

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

You can't overpay Wes Welker.  He is worth every penny they give him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from e4smith. Show e4smith's posts

Given how underrated he is, I'm not sure it's possible to overpay for him.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

I don't think it would be a deal breaker for Welker if he was given a reasonable deal. He wants to win, he loves the Pats and he's not going to go out shopping if he gets a reasonable deal. He could end up getting a couple mill more on the free agent market but I don't see him going out and testing it. The guy likes to win. There are not many guys in the league who put winning up there with salary, but both Brady and Welker are those kinds of guys. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerh5. Show jerh5's posts

I might be the biggest Welker fan. That being said, I wouldn't break the bank for him. He is a slot receiver, who in the next couple of years, will start to see a decline in his abilities. Also, (Welker has said this himself) He wouldn't be the same receiver without Brady throwing him the ball. 
        I think if we offer him a fair and descent contract, he will be finishing his career here in New England.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from smorgan86. Show smorgan86's posts

In Response to Re: Pats will NOT over pay for Welker:
    [QUOTE]I don't think it would be a deal breaker for Welker if he was given a reasonable deal. He wants to win, he loves the Pats and he's not going to go out shopping if he gets a reasonable deal. He could end up getting a couple mill more on the free agent market but I don't see him going out and testing it. The guy likes to win. There are not many guys in the league who put winning up there with salary, but both Brady and Welker are those kinds of guys. 
    Posted by Macrawn[/QUOTE]

Don't assume Welker doesn't want to get paid what he's worth and don't be naive enough to think there is some undying team loyalty here. Sure, they all want to be "Patriots". Mankins loves the Pats now right?? Sure, because he got PAID. Same for Wilfork few years back. Both of those guys would have bolted for the door if the money didn't materialize. All the "love and harmony" with Welker and the organization will turn ugly fast if the organization decides to play it's usual contract games with Welker..don't let it get to that. Pay the man at the higher end of the WR scale..don't make the guy beg for cryin out loud!

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

I think Welker realizes it's the perfect fit for him here, loves playing with Brady, and knows he has a shot to catch 100+ balls every year. I would say 8mil per year for 4 years for him, or maybe a more front loaded deal, kind of like Brady's last one, that pays most of the money right away.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

Don't overpay Welker, but give Ochocinco  6 mill a year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

A lot of people thought Deion Branch would not leave (part 1).

A lot of people thought David Givens would not leave.

The Pats need to make a strong offer to WW.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pats will NOT over pay for Welker : I agree with this and I think it happpens. Mankins had this attitude that he was underpaid under his rookie deal and then the Evans thing gave him  some sort of leverage. He won and he used it to the nth degree, but as you can see he is overpaid. I don't see Welker pulling a Mankins.  He easily could, no doubt,  but I don't see it. I see NE being aggressive with a 4 year type deal that is great for him and NE, but I jjust don't see Welker leveraging the fact he was underpaid against the Pats.  Mankins will always be a sore spot for me for how he did that. Anyone know who his agent is?
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing[/QUOTE]

UM, Mankins WAS underpaid from his rookie deal, what are you talking about? He didn't need leverage, he is probably the best guard in the game. Actually Mankins might be the best offensive linemen in the game today, when we run, we run behind Mankins... I don't know why you always feel the need to justify your over the top anti Mankins statements. The guy is amazing and we are lucky to have him protecting Brady. 

I applaud the guy for NEVER holding out. His contract was up and he fell into an unfortunate situation in 2010. I don't blame him or V-Jackson for not playing when they were due a contract. It is bad business to risk you assets with no guarantee. That is what we asked Mankins to do after he fulfilled a 6 year contract where he was VASTLY underpaid.

I like what you have to say about this team and we agree on a lot of subjects, but have you ever admitted when you were wrong about something?

Let it die dude.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

Yea... I kinda posted this as a respect to that they have a system they follow.  Pay so much fo a player at a certain position. 

It's not a perfect model but it's a model that doesn't strap you either from making future transaction.

I think Welker gets top 10WR money, and he takes it. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pats will NOT over pay for Welker : UM, Mankins WAS underpaid from his rookie deal, what are you talking about? He didn't need leverage, he is probably the best guard in the game. Actually Mankins might be the best offensive linemen in the game today, when we run, we run behind Mankins... I don't know why you always feel the need to justify your over the top anti Mankins statements. The guy is amazing and we are lucky to have him protecting Brady.  I applaud the guy for NEVER holding out. His contract was up and he fell into an unfortunate situation in 2010. I don't blame him or V-Jackson for not playing when they were due a contract. It is bad business to risk you assets with no guarantee. That is what we asked Mankins to do after he fulfilled a 6 year contract where he was VASTLY underpaid. I like what you have to say about this team and we agree on a lot of subjects, but have you ever admitted when you were wrong about something? Let it die dude.
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

"I applaud the guy for NEVER holding out."  Actually he and Vjax held out for the firtst 10 weeks last year if I remember correctly.  But we get your point.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

They were not under contract.....they were victims of the "no cap" year. Mankins fulfilled his 6 year contract.04-09 and was then told to play at whatever rate we gave him. In our defense we offered him a contract but he didn't accept.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tonetone. Show tonetone's posts

Could be wrong, but isn't there still cap room this year ? If so, extend him and up him a little now and a little later. Make sense ?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

[QUOTE]They were not under contract.....they were victims of the "no cap" year. Mankins fulfilled his 6 year contract.04-09 and was then told to play at whatever rate we gave him. In our defense we offered him a contract but he didn't accept.

And then signed the prorated amount to accure another season.  I mean it depends on what you consider a 'hold out", but I'll chalk him up for a hold out. Technicalities at the end of the day. 

Again, I'm happy for he's still here and got what he wanted.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Strictly for the sake of discussion :0....the way I remember it is that he never signed his tender? till week whatever??? Which would indicate he was in fact never under the binding terms of a contract, until he signed and played a prorated portion of the year...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

[QUOTE]Strictly for the sake of discussion :0....the way I remember it is that he never signed his tender? till week whatever??? Which would indicate he was in fact never under the binding terms of a contract, until he signed and played a prorated portion of the year...

"Strictly for the sake of discussion" I was hoping you'd bite man.... I'm phukin bored at work right now. 

While you are absoluetly correct that he didn't have to sign the tender, he was still under the teams rights regardless.  So in theory he was under the teams control as it was a sort of transition tag that would allow another team to sign him for a first rounder and a thrid rounder if the Pats wanted to deal.  So min theory he was techincally 'pushed' to sign that tender to accure his 6 year to be eligigible for FA that following year, which he did do by signing the tender 10 weeks into the seaosn.  This way he got paid and finisahed out the final year of that admittingly BS tendered contract to be a FA.

Hope that made sense?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

"Bored at work" You and me both, I'm out now though...

Yeah I guess technically you are right but I think most of us would agree that a guy honors his contract throughout the duration of its 6 years....and I mean ENTIRELY, did he even miss a game in 6 years??? A practice??? He was surely hornswoggled by being asked to perform a 7th year without the prototypical payday!

Anyway Mr. Kraft,BB and co. obviously felt he deserved the payday and how many times have they thrown big money at players? So in the end both parties did what was right and what they had to do....

Enjoy the rest of the night brother, I'm gonna drink a cold one!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mungomunro. Show Mungomunro's posts

I wouldn't be surprised if the biggest problem isn't the lenght of the contract.