Pats will trade up in this years draft

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Re: Pats will trade up in this years draft

In Response to Re: Pats will trade up in this years draft:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pats will trade up in this years draft : Aldon Smith is far too small to play 34 DE, he'd need to kick outside to LB.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07[/QUOTE]

The other thing with him is his character. I wasn't impressed with his off field read.

He talked about loving playing video games all night or something. Not 1st rd material or Pats material in the 1st rd anyway.

He's a question to me as a run stopper at OLB. I see him more as a 4-3 DE.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]I'm thinking he trades up 2 or 3 spots to grab Jordan if he feels he'll be gone by 17, but trading up far enough to grab Watt seems like a stretch to me at this point. The walterfootball.com mock which was updated Wed, has Watt going to the Vikings at 12 and Jordan going to the Pats at 17. I'd be perfectly fine with that scenario but as we know mocking a Pats draft is pretty much impossible. Anyway, here's what that mock has the Pats taking. I'm not crazy about Watkins as the 27 year old thing screams out at me, but I love the Jordan, Ayers, Leshoure, and Gates picks! 17 Jordan 28 Akeem Ayers 33 Mikel Leshoure 60 Danny Watkins 74 Joseph Barksdale 92 Edmund Gates 124 Shiloh Keo 156 Jeremy Beal 188 Devon Torrence
    Posted by Prophet76[/QUOTE]

Nice one, except I don't think Watkins lasts that far.

Maybe.

Not big on Ayers as a 3-4 OLB, but he is an athlete so it may work.   He may be one you can develop the run D with later.

Solid intelligence with him.  Honor roll and a History major.  Plus.

Anyone have a link to Wonderlic scores?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Killa! You're listing all skill position players?!? What are you, an ESPN talking head? You're way off base here! Just kidding obviously.

I was of the thought that drafting a RB or WR would be very stupid, but then I saw Ingram at his pro day. If he's the right guy (and I'm not saying he is...but he looked pretty good) then I wouldn't lose sleep over it. 

[QUOTE]Julio Jones is another beast of a player I would love to get
    Posted by MVPkilla4life[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]Only guy I see the Patriots trading up to get would be if Nick Fairley slides past the #5 spot of the Cardinals. It would be a huge splash that would steal Day 1 Headlines but highly unlikely. However, with character issues it could make him slide further than expected based on the recent trend over the past few years of top 10 talent with "character risks" falling: (ie: Dunlap, Michael Johnson, Dez Bryant, DeSean Jackson).   Other than that there is not much added value in trading up for a DE or OLB. This position is deep but drops off drastically after mid 2nd round. Id prefer that they address the DE position with #17 (or before). 
    Posted by Boston-kyle[/QUOTE]

fairley going past 5 is looking more and more likely with the quarterbacks going up, dareus and bowers and miller going up. i see him mocked at 6-8 by 2/3 of the mockers, ie si.com on 3/10/11

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]If I had to bet I'd say that #33 turns into a #1 next year and maybe a #3 this year.
    Posted by Philskiw1[/QUOTE]

if we could get the #1 of carolina, id do that before any other move.
    i dont think carolina gives that up (andrew luck) unless thay take a qb #1 thi year, and even then?? damn a shot at luck is better than any player in this years draft.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pats will trade up in this years draft : Lets think out of the box and addess is isues that have led to the recent defeats...Super bowl.....offensive line..........Baltimore...no pass rush and offensive line.(Maybe just a bad game).....Jests...NO pass rush and offensive line.....Seems like a pattern that has to be addressed......lets say trade up.. get the D help....we have lots of large slow D lineman.....speed kills.....then get bigger stronger players on the O line....    Gonna be a fun draft ...
    Posted by fishers5[/QUOTE]

ya got that rigth fisher5

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]I'd bet the farm if I had one that BB sticks with his present pattern. Talent is a hard thing to judge just by watching a little video or working a guy out. With the NFL you have to throw as many players against the wall as you can and see who sticks! If ever there was an inexact science drafting Players is it. BB likes multiple choice answers so he'll stick with his usual trading down and not up.
    Posted by sportsbozo1[/QUOTE]

except good teams do seem to be able to move up and get stud players.
    yeah it's all a risk. so is taking middle of the road players until brady retires.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Pats will trade up in this years draft : Hasn't history shown us to not bet the farm on anything BB does? I pretty much said that same thing entering the 2007 draft, too. If I had to put money on it, I'd gamble that he trades up (if he has to) secure a Jordan or a Watt in the 1st round. You gotta come out of this 1st rd with strong, immediate need selections, not necessarily the best player. Like, if AJ Green or Mark Ingram fall to 17, do you take one of them?  I guess you'd sort of have to in that case.   But, after those hypotheticals, there really won't be "he's the best player but it's not at the top of your list for need" types after the top 15 picks. The top 10 is usually "he's the best player at the position" picks. But, I am not convinced all the DEs, especially the talented yet not slam dunk fits like a Clayborn or Heyward, are what you want for a Round 1 pick. In other words, get what you really need in this draft, not just the best player. The best player is better when you aren't this close to a legit SB run.
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

thank you!

"In other words, get what you really need in this draft, not just the best player. The best player is better when you aren't this close to a legit SB run."

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]Right. I was just giving an example of top tier, prime players being considered #1 at their positon. At WR it's Jones and Green. At RB,it's Ingram. I am just saying, unless one of those kinds of players drops, it appears the best and safest bet both for need and quality, is to work on the lines in this first round. I don't see BB missing at all at DE or OL in Round 1.  He never has before and he won't this year. In fact, if he goes OL and DL in Round 1, I bet he scores two legitimate Pro Bowl caliber players right off the bat.
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

"In fact, if he goes OL and DL in Round 1, I bet he scores two legitimate Pro Bowl caliber players right off the bat."

he should or he's losin it!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

Will there be a draft if there is a lockout? I suppose they can still draft but no contract will be done for players selected.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

The draft takes place even though the teams have instituted a lockout(after the NFLPA decertified the union),which may well be overturned by Judge Doty who has shown a clear bias towards the players in just about every past decision.This situation in my opinion is a case study of spitting into the face of the goose that laid the golden egg.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

In Response to Pats will trade up in this years draft:
    [QUOTE]I think were going to see the pat go against what they usually do by trading down in drafts.  With this years multiple picks there is already plenty of picks in the 2nd and 3rd rnd and no need for Belicheck to stockpile later round picks.  I also think the Pats are begining to feel some desperation.  I think the Pats realize the window of opportunity is closing every year older Brady gets and if another run is going to put together then some big issues need to be filled with quality talent.  With that being said I believe Belicheck will package some picks (and maybe Mankins) to move up and grab a guy like Von Miller.  He is the right size, good speed and has produced as a high level pass rusher from the stand up outside linebacker position.  We always here about how some rookies will need to transition from the DE to outside lineback postion and how that transition can be difficult.  This guy will not need to make that transition.  Last year I was fiending for Sergio Kindle (Apparently a mistake on my behalf) but I think this guy is twice that talent.  This guy will be like Merriman was before injuries dragged him down.
    Posted by prob2236[/QUOTE]
    I agree.  Miller would be worth the pair of 1sts it would likely take to go up with ARI and get him.  With 4.42 speed and 28 sacks the past season, he's 6-3, 246 (just 4 lbs lighter than Colvin, which he will quickly add).  Miller will likely play at 250-255 once he gets a little bigger up top.  His legs are immense already.  Miller would be like an elite corner coming on a blitz without losing a CB in coverage.  Even the best OTs will have trouble with him.  Teams will have to adjust by bringing a TE over or a RB over to help block him.  Miller addresses the one big glaring hole on defense, rush OLB. 

We'd still have a pair of 2nds, one at 33, and a pair of 3rds to address OL and a couple of skill players.  The value for RBs and WR is the 3rd and 4th round. 

I tend to disagree with your later comments about Watt.  He is a special player and far more athletic than Mike Wright.  JJ Watt is the next Richard Seymour once he adds 10-20 lbs.  The man had 6 batted balls, a bunch of TFLs, an INT, a FF and 7 sacks.  He is a penetrating 34 DE all the way.  If there was any way to get both Watt and Miller, I'd almost give up our 4 top picks to do it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

I'd rather just wait at 17. Someone like Watt, Jordan, Aldon Smith, or Ingram will fall.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

[QUOTE]What is it about Watt the excites you so much?  I think I would rather have Kerrigan or Jordan before id want Watt.  Id even say reach for another position like Julio Jones at Wr before pursuing Watt.  Watt doesn't address pass rush.  Hes a Mike Wright type player.
    Posted by prob2236[/QUOTE]

I've Watt labelled as the best 5 technique defender in the draft, which is exactly the type of guy we need at DE in the 3-4.

I'd bet my house that BB would never even think of passing on Watt to draft any WR in the first round.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Pats will trade up in this years draft : I agree.  Miller would be worth the pair of 1sts it would likely take to go up with ARI and get him.  With 4.42 speed and 28 sacks the past season, he's 6-3, 246 (just 4 lbs lighter than Colvin, which he will quickly add).  Miller will likely play at 250-255 once he gets a little bigger up top.  His legs are immense already.  Miller would be like an elite corner coming on a blitz without losing a CB in coverage.  Even the best OTs will have trouble with him.  Teams will have to adjust by bringing a TE over or a RB over to help block him.  Miller addresses the one big glaring hole on defense, rush OLB.  We'd still have a pair of 2nds, one at 33, and a pair of 3rds to address OL and a couple of skill players.  The value for RBs and WR is the 3rd and 4th round.  I tend to disagree with your later comments about Watt.  He is a special player and far more athletic than Mike Wright.  JJ Watt is the next Richard Seymour once he adds 10-20 lbs.  The man had 6 batted balls, a bunch of TFLs, an INT, a FF and 7 sacks.  He is a penetrating 34 DE all the way.  If there was any way to get both Watt and Miller, I'd almost give up our 4 top picks to do it.
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

faucet and all,

" If there was any way to get both Watt and Miller, I'd almost give up our 4 top picks to do it."

WHAT DO YOU MEAN ALMOST?"

Do you know what you can do with 2 elite players added to our team?

compare that to adding several avg nfl rookies to our already young team.

we may or may not win some games in the playoffs.

with elite olb and de, our team increases DRAMATICALLY.

just add some o line talent too!

(i dont care about giving up several mid round picks this yr and next, if we get teh difference makeers we need).

peace,

cbdam/brdbreu

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Army2LT. Show Army2LT's posts

I think that BB will trade #17 and #33 for future picks.  The more I read about this draft class, the more I am disappointed.  I feel like all the players that I really like (Watt, Dareus, Quinn) will be taken by 17.  Others that people suggest don't really fit our team (Kerrigan, Reed, Beal are all too slow for OLB and too small for DE).  From what I read, Jordan is too soft.

The players who fit us are-
    Aldon Smith(perfect size+speed combo, very raw, played hurt last year)
    Mark Ingram(I would be happy to see the Pats get him at 17)
    Greg Romeus(also perfect size+speed combo for DE, dealt with alot of issues last year, should be available at #60)

I really don't like what I read about just about anyone else.  I predict BB will trade out of this draft class.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cantstopme. Show cantstopme's posts

i'm not thrilled about trading up unless it was only a couple a spots and involved late round picks. i wouldn't even be surprised to see bb trade down a few spots in the first round to a team looking to geta qb like mallett, locker, or kaepernick.

1a. ideally one of watt/jordan/a.smith/quinn falls to ne. assuming they are gone then i would either trade down and/or take a versatile olineman like pouncey, castanzo, or carimi, or i take either INGRAM or LESHOURE. both imo are 3 down backs who can carry the offense if needed. add one of these guys in with bge and woody and ne's 11' backfield is looking dangerous.

1b. HANKERSON/baldwin/heyward/wilkerson. 2 offensive picks in round 1???? hankerson imo would represent bpa while also filling a need. he has great size, attitude, hands, route running, and overachieved expectations in the 40 yd dash at the combine. he is a day one starting wr. it's all about brady baby and after adding ingram, hankerson, and a couple olineman in later rounds brady will busting out with a lot better dance moves than what he showed us in brazil.

2a. HOUSTON or AYERS. after miller, quinn, and smith, olb gets iffy. houston has all the measurables, and is a monster rushing the qb, but is raw is pass coverage. ayers also has good measurables and is great in pass coverage, but only had 4/5 sacks his senior year (note: clay matthews only had 4/5 sacks his senior year for usc). both could be gone before this pick but after ayers poor performance at the combine i think one or both could be available with the 1st pick of the 2nd round.

2b-7. olineman/dlineman/db