Pats Working To Secure Wilfolk

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Pats Working To Secure Wilfolk

From NFL.com, the Pats are reportedly in serious negotiations with Vince Wilfolk's agent, in hopes of locking up the fine NT: http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d811b4781&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Re: Pats Working To Secure Wilfolk

Hopefully a deal gets done this month. Vince has proven he is arguably the best at his position, and they need to keep him in Foxboro. We all know the Jests, Browns, Broncos, and Chiefs would all sign him quickly should he be allowed to reach FA! The Brace signing is nice, but I'd rather he be brought along behind Wilfork until he's acclimated to this defense. This is the key signing of all the potential FAs for 2010. I'm glad to see it's the first one they are addressing.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

Vince and Brace side by side for the next four years would be pretty sweet.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

In Response to Pats Working To Secure Wilfolk:
         From NFL.com, the Pats are reportedly in serious negotiations with Vince Wilfolk's agent, in hopes of locking up the fine NT: http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d811b4781&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true
    Posted by TexasPat3

TEX: The question is, how many years is he seeking? What do you think?
    I'd say he inks a 3 year extension deal by the end of AUGUST. Good NT's are few and far between.
    Albert Haynesworth, Jamal Williams, & Vince are the top 3. Beyond those guys I dont see it. Maybe add Casey Hampton in there too. Sure can't include any Indianapolis Colt in this topic, that's for dang sure.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Pats Working To Secure Wilfolk:
    In Response to Pats Working To Secure Wilfolk : TEX: The question is, how many years is he seeking? What do you think? I'd say he inks a 3 year extension deal by the end of AUGUST. Good NT's are few and far between. Albert Haynesworth, Jamal Williams, & Vince are the top 3. Beyond those guys I dont see it. Maybe add Casey Hampton in there too. Sure can't include any Indianapolis Colt in this topic, that's for dang sure.
    Posted by jbolted

My guess is that it will be 4 years, in the $28mil.range, with $15mil. guaranteed. Vince would be wise to take this if offered. Like every other player, hes' a knee injury away from being derailed...and the odds of that occurring are greater at his position.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

Vince and Brace side by side for the next four years would be pretty sweet.
    Posted by themightypatriots

That's what I'd like to see.  A big 4-3 front four with Mayo behind them to clean up whatever is left.  Similar to Baltimore in '00 with Siragusa/S. Adams and Ray Lewis at MLB.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastplant. Show beastplant's posts

In Response to Re: Pats Working To Secure Wilfolk : That's what I'd like to see.  A big 4-3 front four with Mayo behind them to clean up whatever is left.  Similar to Baltimore in '00 with Siragusa/S. Adams and Ray Lewis at MLB.
    Posted by ShiningWizard

although the pats do have defensive flexibility, they haven't the proper defense end physiques to play a real 4-3 defense, at least not since the 01 team when willie mac and teddy b could play d end with enough speed off the edge to pressure qb's.  now that we sign d burgess that could resurface as an effective option.  it's just that t warren and r seymour are too big and not fast enough to be a real 4-3 edge rusher.  so that base will never happen here with this bunch, it will remain 3-4, with sprinklings of 4-3 and whatever exotic belichick schemes may also come to pass.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

I think Green and Thomas can play effective 4-3 ends as well. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastplant. Show beastplant's posts

I think Green and Thomas can play effective 4-3 ends as well. 
    Posted by themightypatriots

maybe thomas, although i don't know if he's had any experience there.  green has the experience but not the speed or the technique to be consistently effective.
    signing burgess makes this defense more flexible than recent memory would serve.  if healthy, he could roam the field going from stance to standup at will like willie mac once did....exiting.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

you guys are right about the increased flexibility on D.  Over time Pat Chung can hopefully be a big factor in this also.  He lined up pretty much anywhere on the field as a rover in Oregon's D.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from beastplant. Show beastplant's posts

you guys are right about the increased flexibility on D.  Over time Pat Chung can hopefully be a big factor in this also.  He lined up pretty much anywhere on the field as a rover in Oregon's D.
    Posted by siestafiesta

i wonder, as TheMighty suggested, if they'll experiment with thomas at end.  this is a dream for BB, as he is at his best when his linebackers are most flexible.  this defense, if healthy, including chung, as you said, could be special.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriots. Show themightypatriots's posts

I disagree.  Green has both the speed and the technique to be an effective 4-3 end.  He is our best pass-rushing pure defensive lineman.  Thomas has been used as a DE also. 

The great thing about the additions of Brace and Burgess is that if we do use multiple fronts, we have a lot players who can rotate in and out of the D-line to keep each other fresh for four quarters (a big reason we were able to get that last TD in the Super Bowl was that the Giants 3 stud linemen were all gassed by the time that drive got going). 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking111. Show Harleyroadking111's posts

What is nice is Wilfolk honoring his current contract and not holding out and disrupting camp and the locker room. Get it done Floyd.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

What is nice is Wilfolk honoring his current contract and not holding out and disrupting camp and the locker room. Get it done Floyd.
    Posted by Harleyroadking111

im hopeing they do get it done.wilfork may not be haynesworth,at least not yet,but he is very good.some will say DT,s are a dime a dozen.well yes they are,but the real good ones are very few.if anything he may get tagged next season.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/24/wilfork-kaczur-present-conflicting-situations-for-the-pats/

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

My only concern is will this extension(if signed) affect what the Pats do with Seymour and Mankins next year. I am guessing one of the two could be gone. Vince is a great NT so keeping him around is good idea. I thought he was arguably our best defensive player in 08.

Sections
Shortcuts