Pats Young defense & Junior

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lsulifer86. Show lsulifer86's posts

Pats Young defense & Junior

it occurred to me that the Pats D got quite young this year (I think AD is the oldest).. but the O got older (thanks for the contribution Joey).. sigh..

I am really concerned we'll sign Junior and make our defense smarter but slower..
    (love the guy but the human body is subject to the gravities of time; evidence the game against Seattle last year where Junior looked good initially but was beaten on key plays from the right sideline - dont recall the Seattle player)
    So, I think it would be awesome to have Junior coach the new crop rather than have him on the field..

Thoughts ?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaritimePatsFan. Show MaritimePatsFan's posts

Re: Pats Young defense & Junior

I like the addition of Junior if it materializes. He brings leadership, and much needed experience to the middle of the field. Once Mayo comes back Seau won't play a whole lot just in situational downs I think. I think he would be the best LB on the team at shooting gaps and dropping RBs in the backfield. He plays with so much instinct, has seen everything before. He seems to react before the play develops. That kind of makes up for his lost step. Also, that Seattle player was former Patriot Deion Branch. Easy to say Seau blew it, but it was his first game back and he is a 250lb. LB trying to tackle a 185lb. WR in the open field. There is a reason CBs cover WRs and not LBs.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lsulifer86. Show lsulifer86's posts

Agree that the team gets smarter, but I am worroed it will get too slow.. Also, it does not come for free - we'll need to burn a roster spot.. which we could use to get another WR (3rd) or LB (pass rusher)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaritimePatsFan. Show MaritimePatsFan's posts

In Response to Re: Pats Young defense & Junior:
    Agree that the team gets smarter, but I am worroed it will get too slow.. Also, it does not come for free - we'll need to burn a roster spot.. which we could use to get another WR (3rd) or LB (pass rusher)
    Posted by lsulifer86

I like your thinking when it comes to another receiver, but who could come in without being with the team during the off-season and contribute. There are a few FA WRs out there that can play but carry a lot of baggage. I think Ben Watson is our 3rd receiver for the rest of the year unless ole' Joey gets it in the next few weeks. As for your LB (pass rusher) comment, I think we are playing more and more 4-3 so the pass rush is going to come from D-Line. Guys like Mike Wright, and Myron Pryor. Not really sure who would get the axe if Junior came on board maybe a guy like Eric Alexander. Who's only contributions come on special teams. Seau brings to much to the mental game to not take a flyer on him I think. Could really help Mayo and Guyton develop into much better LBs.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

With signing Seau you don't have to worry about getting slow because he wont be in on passing plays. He still showed last year he was one of the best sure tacklers and when a running back is going between the tackles it isn't going to hurt when you have Seau there to make the play. With Mayo coming back and the way Guyton is playing BB will only put Seau in a position to succeed and fill gaps between the tackles.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

In Response to Pats Young defense & Junior:
    it occurred to me that the Pats D got quite young this year (I think AD is the oldest).. but the O got older (thanks for the contribution Joey).. sigh.. I am really concerned we'll sign Junior and make our defense smarter but slower.. (love the guy but the human body is subject to the gravities of time; evidence the game against Seattle last year where Junior looked good initially but was beaten on key plays from the right sideline - dont recall the Seattle player) So, I think it would be awesome to have Junior coach the new crop rather than have him on the field.. Thoughts ?
    Posted by lsulifer86

I think Junior would only play in running situations or as a pass rusher.  I don't think we'd have to worry about him in coverage.

I also think he can contribute on defense more than Eric Alexander and if I remember right he was willing to play special teams (I remember him on punt coverage?).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

In Response to Pats Young defense & Junior:
    [QUOTE]it occurred to me that the Pats D got quite young this year (I think AD is the oldest).. but the O got older (thanks for the contribution Joey).. sigh.. I am really concerned we'll sign Junior and make our defense smarter but slower.. (love the guy but the human body is subject to the gravities of time; evidence the game against Seattle last year where Junior looked good initially but was beaten on key plays from the right sideline - dont recall the Seattle player) So, I think it would be awesome to have Junior coach the new crop rather than have him on the field.. Thoughts ?
    Posted by lsulifer86[/QUOTE] how does it make it slower?he wont control every position,and have an effect on it.if a player is at OLB,and it is his job to pass rush,and seau is at MLB,and his job is to stuff the run,and this young defense has yet to stop the run.does seau pull out a magic wand and say crable i command you to go slow when rushing the qb?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

Seau was the best pickup this far into the season.  He understands the system and will be used situationally(stopping the run, pass rush).  the Pats needed depth, and Seau was certainly the best option right now.

Sections
Shortcuts