Pay Welker

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: Pay Welker

In response to gman101019's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Its ez to say pay welker, but at what % of your salary cap? Paying welker can potentially stop us from paying ridley, spikes, vollmer,chung etc. This is a tough negotiation cuz both parties have legit arguments. I personally think they let welker walk after this season.  I dont agree with it but I do understand it. BB is smart thats y he locked up gronk and hern and not welker, if you could have 2 of the 3, who would u take?  We cant afford to pay each of them $9 mil per.

[/QUOTE]

yep, i said the same thing wehen this discussion began last year

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

Does anyone really know how far apart they really were. Did it get personal? Welker may be happy here (especially if they return to the super bowl this year). I agree that the return of Hernandez and his health may be the deciding factor because I can't see Edelman as really being good enough to replace Welker. Welker returned from a terrible injury and had his best season ever last year and is on pace for his second best season ever this year. Another 120 catches and 1500 yards might make Bill soften his stance some especially with injuries to Welker's "replacements". Belichek has determined a value for Welker at this time and Welker disagrees with it. If it never got personal maybe there is some wiggle room for both of them to get a fair contract done after the season.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to Mighty2013's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He was the difference maker on 3rd down.  No one else can do what he does.  Meet him halfway  and get a deal done.

[/QUOTE]

I haven't read this thread but I agree with you Mighty. Welker is a special....very special football player. I don't think he will be here next year unless he decides he is willing to take less, and I don't blame him for not doing that. I wish we could pay him top dollar but dont thinK we can. Grok and Hern were the right( young) players to lock up and BB the GM always locks up the core " future" talent for long term.

In any case I am enjoying the WW show while it lasts.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bradysgirlforreal. Show Bradysgirlforreal's posts

Message to Mr. Kraft:  Give Welker a 30 million  $ signing bonus and a 3 year deal at 5-6 million a year or TB will be pissed! BTW we know you have the dough. Better yet  just give Wes every nickel from the parking fees at all the home games for life?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to ccnsd's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Does anyone really know how far apart they really were. Did it get personal? Welker may be happy here (especially if they return to the super bowl this year). I agree that the return of Hernandez and his health may be the deciding factor because I can't see Edelman as really being good enough to replace Welker. Welker returned from a terrible injury and had his best season ever last year and is on pace for his second best season ever this year. Another 120 catches and 1500 yards might make Bill soften his stance some especially with injuries to Welker's "replacements". Belichek has determined a value for Welker at this time and Welker disagrees with it. If it never got personal maybe there is some wiggle room for both of them to get a fair contract done after the season.

[/QUOTE]

they were widely apart. ww and his agent were stumped as to why he didnt get what ww thinks he deserved (10 plus mil over several years)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I love Welker as much as anyone and I wanted him paid back pre 2011. I thought a 4 year deal front loaded after the lockout would have been perfect but that's not what they did. At this point in his career you are playing with a time bomb for his receiving life. He could last another 4 years or another 1 but he takes a ton of hits and those knees he uses to quick cut aren't getting younger. I'd put the same offer back on the table of $16mil over 2 years but this time around I'd only make the first year fully guaranteed and the second only a quarter in roster bonus. If Welker is looking for more I'd let him go. The reasons I say that are:

• As fans we always say pay the man and think they can play forever, well they can't. Welker is a WR in his 30's who's taken a ton of hits and was worked like a RB (in terms of reps). That's going to eventually catch up and it might be a fall off the cliff moment
    • We now run a two TE set and come next year we'll have 4 starting caliber TE's (notice I said starting caliber not pro-bowl in 2 of the cases) in Hern, Gronk, Fells, and Ballard. Now something has to give and the obvious choice is Hern moves out to be a HB/WR. If you are running a 2 TE set with an RB then you can only have 2 WR's on the field at a time. With the amount of money you put into Hern are you really going to have Hern sitting on the sidelines with Welker getting those reps?
    • If Hern is moving to the #2 WR position and as a swing RB in spread then you're limiting the role to the point for Welker that there wouldn't be a huge drop off to Edelman as opposed to if you kept Hern as a TE and Welker was still your #2 WR on the field. This might sound cruel but you don't pay a WR $9+ mil no matter who that WR if his role is going to be limited to the amount of times you run spread
    • Paying Welker $9+ mil limits what you can do in the off-season. Lets face it we could use either a new RG or C on the OL, Jones could use a book end, we need a coverage LB on passing downs, Wilfork could use a starting caliber DT/NT to play next to him, they need to resign Spikes and Chung or they have to find replacements, and the CB's might need some fine tuning this off-season. That's a fair amount of work and I don't think we currently have the players on the team to do that next year without hitting FA. Additionally you aren't going to find all those people via the draft. At most you might get 1-3 players who can start out of the gate but you can't find them all. Welkers money is better spent somewhere else

I'm not saying I don't love what Welker has done but football is a cruel business and both the players and owners know that all to well. It seems to be mostly the fans who lose track of that in settlementality. In football you pay for expected performance based on the size and length of the contract as well as weigh the benefit of putting money into one player verses spreading the money to the team. As much as Welker has earned the contract for being the loyal soldier as BB constantly reminds us loyality only goes so far when it comes down to contract and sometimes you need to put what's best for the team first. As tough as it would be to see him in another uniform if he wants more then they are willing to give as they progress away from a spread O then it's time to part ways with no hard feelings as I'm sure someone will be willing to pay him. Either way he'll get paid just might not be with the Pats