Payton Suspended for One Year and Williams Barred Indefinitly!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

Payton Suspended for One Year and Williams Barred Indefinitly!

Well I guess BountyGate is pretty bad after all.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Re: Payton Suspended for One Year and Williams Barred Indefinitly!

Great!!!  I wanted Greg to be suspended for a year so they did go a little hard on him, IMO but warranted and an imperative thing to show Goodell DOES care about player safety.

I didnt expect Payton to get that much either but he was HEAD of operations and HAD to know what was happening so I just commend Goodell for holding coaches to the same standards as players.

Now the hard part, is how do you determine the players involved, how do you punish them, and will N.O. be able to field a defense next year...lol

Oh Well!

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

In Response to Re: Payton Suspended for One Year and Williams Barred Indefinitly!:
    [QUOTE]Great!!!  I wanted Greg to be suspended for a year so they did go a little hard on him, IMO but warranted and an imperative thing to show he DOES care about player safety. I didnt expect Payton to get that much either but he was HEAD of operations and HAD to know what was happening so I just commend Goodell for holding coaches to the same standards as players. Now the hard part, is how do you determine the players involved, how do you punish them, and will N.O. be able to field a defense next year...lol Oh Well!
    Posted by JayShizzle45[/QUOTE]

That's for sure.  I'm glad it was much more than fines and losses of draft choices for these offenses.  Even though football is a rough sport, paying people to intentionally cause bodily harm is wrong on all counts. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NCPatsFan1971. Show NCPatsFan1971's posts

In Response to Re: Payton Suspended for One Year and Williams Barred Indefinitly!:
    [QUOTE]Wonder what Jack Tatum would have gotten if Goodell was the Commisioner then.
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]

Tatum was a Dirt Bag. 

He might not have gotten punished by Rozell but a power even greater then the NFL eventually got him.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Wow and a 2nd this year and a 2nd next year.

That's hitting them hard.

NO now won't pick until the 3rd. Thinking NO might want to trade their 1st next year for #48? I'd take their 4th, 6th this year and 1st next year for #48

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Goodell managed to stick it to the Pats with this punishment too.  Now we'll have to endure a year of "why didn't BB get suspended for a year......"  Arghhhh

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

They got the hammer for sure.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

[QUOTE]Goodell managed to stick it to the Pats with this punishment too.  Now we'll have to endure a year of "why didn't BB get suspended for a year......"  Arghhhh
    Posted by carawaydj[/QUOTE]

Um, because hiring hitmen could be considered felonious.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]Goodell managed to stick it to the Pats with this punishment too.  Now we'll have to endure a year of "why didn't BB get suspended for a year......"  Arghhhh
    Posted by carawaydj[/QUOTE]

Easy response caraway. Tell them that BB only filmed while Payton could have gotten people seriously injured or killed. Then ask them if they think peeping is more serious then attempted murder. That should shut them up quick

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

"WHO DAT! WHO DAT!!!!!!! WHO DAT!!!!!!!!!

no seriously guys who dat? where is coach payton?"

Week one saint fans

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

[QUOTE]Wow and a 2nd this year and a 2nd next year. That's hitting them hard. NO now won't pick until the 3rd. Thinking NO might want to trade their 1st next year for #48? I'd take their 4th, 6th this year and 1st next year for #48
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

Y'know that's a pretty good thought. You figure with no head coach, no assistant head coach for six games, and a disgruntles QB, they may just be picking in the top half of the 1st round next year!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

Am I the only one who thinks Goodel STILL punished the Pats more harshly--in some areas--for their misdemeanor rules violation than he punished the Saints today?

First of all: No docking of any first round picks involved here.

Think about this. Without Sean Payton on the sideslines next year the Saints already are a weaker team. Throw in the free agent losses and the possibility that Brees might holdout and you're looking at a team that could slip to .500 or worse, which would make their 2013 #1 pick a much higher selection than previously thought.

Losing two second rounders it tough, to be sure, but "superstars" usually come out of the first round, and the top-half of the first round in particular.

If the Saints do, in fact, tank next season, they'll be in a strong position to bounce right back in 2013 with a Top 10 pick on hand and with Payton coming back.

No, the two second rounders isn't enough IMO....should have been a 2nd this year and a #1 next year; OR, just a #1 next year if the former penalty sounds too harsh.

Also, here's how the monetary penalties were handed down:

"Spygate"---$500K to Belichick and $250K to the Pats' organization ($750K in total)

"Bountygate"--$500K

What's wrong with THAT picture?

I agree that the penalties to the individuals involved are harsh, but the organization needed to pay a stiff penalty here IMO.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

[QUOTE]Am I the only one who thinks Goodel STILL punished the Pats more harshly--in some areas--for their misdemeanor rules violation than he punished the Saints today? First of all: No docking of any first round picks involved here. Think about this. Without Sean Payton on the sideslines next year the Saints already are a weaker team. Throw in the free agent losses and the possibility that Brees might holdout and you're looking at a team that could slip to .500 or worse, which would make their 2013 #1 pick a much higher selection than previously thought. Losing two second rounders it tough, to be sure, but "superstars" usually come out of the first round, and the top-half of the first round in particular. If the Saints do, in fact, tank next season, they'll be in a strong position to bounce right back in 2013 with a Top 10 pick on hand and with Payton coming back. No, the two second rounders isn't enough IMO....should have been a 2nd this year and a #1 next year; OR, just a #1 next year if the former penalty sounds too harsh. Also, here's how the monetary penalties were handed down: "Spygate"---$500K to Belichick and $250K to the Pats' organization ($750K in total) "Bountygate"--$500K What's wrong with THAT picture? I agree that the penalties to the individuals involved are harsh, but the organization needed to pay a stiff penalty here IMO.
    Posted by hardright[/QUOTE]

Losing Payton for the year is worse than any penalty that was levied on NE.  Your point about the money isn't considering that Payton isn't getting paid next year (6 mil) so overall I think the Saints got whacked harder than NE did and it isn't really that close.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

[QUOTE]Also, here's how the monetary penalties were handed down: "Spygate"---$500K to Belichick and $250K to the Pats' organization ($750K in total) "Bountygate"--$500K What's wrong with THAT picture? I agree that the penalties to the individuals involved are harsh, but the organization needed to pay a stiff penalty here IMO.
    Posted by hardright[/QUOTE]
    250K fine for Pat... 500K fine for Saints.  Saints fined twice as much.

500K fine for Belichick.  1 year UNPAID suspension for Payton = 7.5 MILLION dollars forfeited.  Payton effectively fined FIFTEEN times as much.

No penalties to other individuals for Pats.  Saints GM suspended (without pay) for 8 games; Assistant head coach Joe Vitt suspended (without pay) for 6 games and fined additional $100k.  Gregg Williams (no longer with team) suspended indefinitely (minimum 1 year without pay).  Individual players may still receive penalties.

Pats lose 1 first (ended up being #31); Saints lose 2 2nds (59 this year? plus 1 that, as you say, could well be in the top half of next year's 2nd round).  Pretty much a wash.

The Saints penalties absolutely dwarfs what the Pats received.  It's not even close.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

Oh, and one more point about the draft picks.  The Pats loss of their first was somewhat mitigated by the fact that they owned the 49ers' first in the 2008 draft.  The Saints loss of their second is made worse by the fact that they have no first in the 2012 draft.  Those factors shouldn't have weighed in to the penalties (except for the fact that Goodell couldn't take away the Saints' 2012 first), but they do end up being somewhat more painful to the Saints than the Pats.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Suspending the coach for a year pretty much puts that team in disarray.  Huge, huge penalty.  Way more severe than what the Pats got.  Imagine if BB couldn't have coached in 2007?   Would we have had the season we had that year without Belichick? 

(Of course, if you talk to Rusty, he may tell you we would have won the Super Bowl because who ever filled in for BB would have run the ball more . . . )

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Payton Suspended for One Year and Williams Barred Indefinitly! : 250K fine for Pat... 500K fine for Saints.  Saints fined twice as much. 500K fine for Belichick.  1 year UNPAID suspension for Payton = 7.5 MILLION dollars forfeited.  Payton effectively fined FIFTEEN times as much. No penalties to other individuals for Pats.  Saints GM suspended (without pay) for 8 games; Assistant head coach Joe Vitt suspended (without pay) for 6 games and fined additional $100k.  Gregg Williams (no longer with team) suspended indefinitely (minimum 1 year without pay).  Individual players may still receive penalties. Pats lose 1 first (ended up being #31); Saints lose 2 2nds (59 this year? plus 1 that, as you say, could well be in the top half of next year's 2nd round).  Pretty much a wash. The Saints penalties absolutely dwarfs what the Pats received.  It's not even close.
    Posted by MattC05[/QUOTE]

OK, good point about the monies....I didn't factor in Payton losing his salary, which certainly is huge.

I still think the draft pick penalty should have been their 2013 #1 pick (I would even have let them keep their 2012 #2 pick in exchange for docking the 2013 first rounder).

That 2013 first rounder is going to be a valuable chip for N.O. to get back into contention after what's likely going to be a debacle of a 2012 season.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Not to bang my own drum but Payton and Williams got exactly what I said on the subject last month and only half of the $$$ fine I expected a million. I was surprised by the GM and Asst HC but I had not at the time did not even think of them.
    I'm surprised there is nothing about other D coaches like LB coach and DB coaches?????
    It is going to be a long year in the French Quarter this year.

If anyone fights this as is their right, IMHO they'd be making this worse for thee whole of the NFL even if they get their suspensions/fines/etc... reduced.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

[QUOTE]Wonder what Jack Tatum would have gotten if Goodell was the Commisioner then.
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]

Different era different game

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from patthepatriot666. Show patthepatriot666's posts

this is way harsh

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Wow! A whole year seems a bit much to me.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

I realize this is a big penalty for the Saints, but if I read it correctly Payton loses his salary.   Don't the Saints owners save the money that they would otherwise pay to him?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

[QUOTE]I realize this is a big penalty for the Saints, but if I read it correctly Payton loses his salary.   Don't the Saints owners save the money that they would otherwise pay to him?
    Posted by nyjoseph[/QUOTE]
    That's one way to look at it.  The other is that services they had negotiated for will not be provided to them.  They'll have to use some of that budget savings to pay somebody else to be the head coach, AND at a point in the off season where there are no desirable candidates available (not that any HC with any credentials would want to touch the job with a ten foot pole).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

Suspensions were warranted given the knowledge and participation of the coaches, even after they were warned and busted. I don't think penalties levied are harsh.
    What will Greg Wilams need to do to get back into the game? And should he return to the NFL?
    Didn't Goodell have Michael Vick basically beg him to return?
    It will be interesting to see if players involved in the bounty hunt get fined and /or suspensions. I don't think any player will get close to a year.
    Wild in the NFL today. Definitely not dull.

Sections
Shortcuts