Payton Suspended for One Year and Williams Barred Indefinitly!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

Re: Payton Suspended for One Year and Williams Barred Indefinitly!

I expect fines for every one of the players, 50k-100k.  Although with the NFLPA involved, they will likely end up less.  Only players who helped administer the bounty plan (Vilma) will receive suspensions.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mighty2012. Show mighty2012's posts

I've always hated that f***ing d***bag Payton.  Glad someone finally smacked that a**hole in his stupid puckered lips.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

There's a laundry list of things that are wrong with this thing, with everything from what it means to a kid in Pop Warner and the creepy, sinister vibe of them implementing the program, possibly ruining people's careers/livelihoods, going over a salary cap and then lying about it.  A ton of stuff is wrong with this.

The lying is what put Goodell over the top. 

Everyone knows the league is sitting on over 30 lawsuits, some that could be legit, and the Saints are running around after a lockout with Drew Brees as a head union rep looking like morons basically compromising any former player's lawsuit being a part of the bounty program.

I am sure those ex-players are thrilled. lol

I figured Williams was done, but I am surprised Payton got the year.  But, again, he and Williams definitely lied, upfront. They only caved in when caught lying.

That put Goodell over the top.  This makes the overblown Spygate look as minor as the Colts pumping in crowd noise.  Saints are pretty much done. I have no idea why Broderick Bunckley just signed there for 5 years. lol

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

In Response to Re: Payton Suspended for One Year and Williams Barred Indefinitly!:
    Am I the only one who thinks Goodel STILL punished the Pats more harshly--in some areas--for their misdemeanor rules violation than he punished the Saints today? First of all: No docking of any first round picks involved here. Think about this. Without Sean Payton on the sideslines next year the Saints already are a weaker team. Throw in the free agent losses and the possibility that Brees might holdout and you're looking at a team that could slip to .500 or worse, which would make their 2013 #1 pick a much higher selection than previously thought. Losing two second rounders it tough, to be sure, but "superstars" usually come out of the first round, and the top-half of the first round in particular. If the Saints do, in fact, tank next season, they'll be in a strong position to bounce right back in 2013 with a Top 10 pick on hand and with Payton coming back. No, the two second rounders isn't enough IMO....should have been a 2nd this year and a #1 next year; OR, just a #1 next year if the former penalty sounds too harsh. Also, here's how the monetary penalties were handed down: "Spygate"---$500K to Belichick and $250K to the Pats' organization ($750K in total) "Bountygate"--$500K What's wrong with THAT picture? I agree that the penalties to the individuals involved are harsh, but the organization needed to pay a stiff penalty here IMO.
    Posted by hardright

Yeah, the money seems low, but I disagree with the two 2nd rders.  THe lack of a 1st rder this year will hurt them enough, but not picking to the 3rd rd? Their drafts will be bad in the next 2 years, which sets them back. That's not a young team.

Then, you add in Brees losing a season here at age 33 and that doesn't help either.  They're pretty much screwed.  I was just talking about how the NFC is stronger as of right now, but things can change quick. Here's one NFC team about to lose its edge and fade.

It doesn't take much in this league to lose your structure.  When Goodell overreacted and punished the Pats with the 1st rder, I seriously think he did that because he knew BB had two of them.  I think he may have gone lighter in that area if we didn't have the 2 1st rd picks.

There is no real science behind the Spygate witch hunt and punishment. But, he did handle this a whole lot better than Spygate. He took his time, had facts and knowledge of the situation and then methodically came down with the punishment.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d827c28ff/article/commissioner-go

Wow! Someone from another team actually e-mailed the Saints and placed a bounty on Rodgers through them.  Holy Moley!
    Other Qb's targeted were Favre, Cam Newton, Warner.
    Whom ever that other team was needs to be sanctioned too.
    Players punishment TBD, still.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

In Response to Re: Payton Suspended for One Year and Williams Barred Indefinitly!:
    Goodell managed to stick it to the Pats with this punishment too.  Now we'll have to endure a year of "why didn't BB get suspended for a year......"  Arghhhh
    Posted by carawaydj

Maybe because it was Goodell's first major decision of dealing with arrogant 'I am greater that the NFL' coaches. He had to build this to a crescendo. If Spygate had come at the present time, BB & Co. would be facing a much stiffer penalty than first one handed down. I think players, coaches and GMs should know where they stand now and remember WHO they are.

This is the very reason why we have laws to keep civility amongst the natives. The same applies to rules befitting to protect players and to maintain a less barbaric culture. Clean and legal hard hits should be part of this great game, but bounties are for animals.

While watching the NFC championship game vs. GB, I kept turning to my cohorts and questioning the abusive beating Favre took in that game. High/low hits and late hits were the order of the day and the officials just let it go. I thought is was because the whole league was tired of Brett's retiring and not retiring antics. The way he was beaten it reminded me of Rodney King. His ankle,ribs and back were a single contusion and BF never whimpered and said it was part of the game. His best friend Sharper laid two uncalled late hits on him and he asked Sharp 'what are you doing man?'

Some how I thought that the officials allowed and continued to let the QB get pummelled at every opportunity. Just imagine if that was Tom Brady. The NE fanbase and non fans would have wanted justice for what was permitted to go on on the playing field.

Jonathan Vilma may be the first to face suspension. Tape after tape shows him involved in overly aggressive play and in many cases non legal play.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

wow this is surprising.....i agree with the barring of williams, but the one year suspension for payton seems a bit much.....well i guess they needed to make example out of someone

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

This is a preliminary to the players' punishment; RG had to be over the top because the players will now be encouraged to speak up (whistleblower) for this type of misconduct.  Vilma will get hammered as will others.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Wow and a 2nd this year and a 2nd next year. That's hitting them hard. NO now won't pick until the 3rd. Thinking NO might want to trade their 1st next year for #48? I'd take their 4th, 6th this year and 1st next year for #48
    Posted by PatsEng

i too was feeling predatory. i don't think they will want to give up their first next year. they'll probably want a first round pick this year now that they don't have a second. perhaps offer them #31 for their 2014 first (this could be a high pick) + third next year + 4th this year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

In Response to Re: Payton Suspended for One Year and Williams Barred Indefinitly! : Yeah, the money seems low, but I disagree with the two 2nd rders.  THe lack of a 1st rder this year will hurt them enough, but not picking to the 3rd rd? Their drafts will be bad in the next 2 years, which sets them back. That's not a young team. Then, you add in Brees losing a season here at age 33 and that doesn't help either.  They're pretty much screwed.  I was just talking about how the NFC is stronger as of right now, but things can change quick. Here's one NFC team about to lose its edge and fade. It doesn't take much in this league to lose your structure.  When Goodell overreacted and punished the Pats with the 1st rder, I seriously think he did that because he knew BB had two of them.  I think he may have gone lighter in that area if we didn't have the 2 1st rd picks. There is no real science behind the Spygate witch hunt and punishment. But, he did handle this a whole lot better than Spygate. He took his time, had facts and knowledge of the situation and then methodically came down with the punishment.
    Posted by BassFishing

I'm convinced the Pats punishment was more a factor of Belichick ignoring the 2006 NFL memo supposedly clarifying the taping rule than with any competitive advantage the Pats gained (of which, I believe there was NONE).  Same thing with the Saints; they not only ignored warnings from the league to cease and desist, but lied and attempted a cover-up.  Belichick was pretty straightforward with Goodell as soon as he was caught.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

this is way harsh
    Posted by patthepatriot666

no it's not. nfl was wise to do this.

first, the saints denied it happened

second, the big big reason - economics. this behavior could prematurely end careers. nfl could have been exposed to future liability if they did not show determination to end this kind of activity. this is the reason for the focus on concussions. it is the reason why malicious intent to harm players will not be tolerated.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

i actually would not be surprised if explicit encouragement to cause physical harm, someone actually attempting it as a result and rewarding it actually crossed any legal lines. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

In Response to Re: Payton Suspended for One Year and Williams Barred Indefinitly! : I'm convinced the Pats punishment was more a factor of Belichick ignoring the 2006 NFL memo supposedly clarifying the taping rule than with any competitive advantage the Pats gained (of which, I believe there was NONE).  Same thing with the Saints; they not only ignored warnings from the league to cease and desist, but lied and attempted a cover-up.  Belichick was pretty straightforward with Goodell as soon as he was caught.
    Posted by MattC05

I don't think BB was "caught" doing anything other than messing with the Jets after the 2006 inicident in Foxborough. The thing that people who want to be jealous of the Pats forget is, there is/was a major tiff between the Jets and Pats, and in particular Manboobs and BB.

Yeah, he shouldn't have been being so petty with a rival team and coach, but this stuff has happened before with burned bridges between coaches, etc.  Maybe not in that way, but we've heard the stories.

The way Manboobs left, why would BB kiss Manboob's butt? Tecnically, NE can't shut down NY's camera, because the road team has to be given the same kind of legal location.  So, this little angle started the year the memo came out. NE can't really shut down any opponent's camera. THe NFL personnel can, but home teams physically can't.   So, this means the NFL shut it down, right or wrong, and then never reported it to Goodell.

I mention this, because NY violated the technicality in the rule that NE did the following year.  So, it wasn't just BB ignoring a memo, as it's framed so incorrectly by the media.   All 32 teams were reminded of the rule, but if you didn't see any violations enforced, why would you think it was so serious?   Estrella was in broad daylight, so there is no way BB is getting "caught" doing anything.  It's the fact that the memo talked about locations, yet the NFL never enforced the sideline one.

Plus, Goodell acknowledge other teams were in violation, which would reflect the story about the tapes sent in by BB showed these teams in violation.    If that's true, why didn't Goodell stay consistent in the punishments? Was it to appease the teams behind the scenes goading Goodell on? Why was the punishemtn sent down so fast?  Why didn't Goodell learn more about the way teams legally scout one another?  Why didn't Goodell see the poorly worded rule itself?

This leads a logical person to believe that Goodell wanted the rule to be followed specifically and not just so the tape never left the camera during the game. Fair enough, but I also dont think BB had any idea whatsoever, in a million years, Goodell would make a mountain out of a molehill, as long the tapes never left the camcroders and the integrity of the game wasn't compromised by using video for future scouting.  So, basically by him messing with Mangini with a guy in a YELLOW vest, triggered an overblown thing.

Someone said soon after BB did that to make Manboobs think his signals were compromised, simply to mess with him, which means this video thing with the potential for sign stealing was well known by all NFL teams.  Hence, the defense of those signals, with decoys, etc.   If there was such concern of a home team's cameras, one that is never checked by NFL personnel, to capture signals on video, why is it allowed? lol

I can see why Goodell was embarrassed and why he looked dumber and dumber as the thing carried on. He let NFL teams tell him what to do. 

This time, he didn't. He had evidence, hard proof and a context to know that New Orleans was the only team in violation.

Lastly, there was a huge grey area in the wordking of the rule and how it was written in the Constitution and Bylaws. Finally, wouldn't it be easier to just not allow taping at all if this was so egregious?

There is no way other teams weren't filming NE, even accidentally.  No way on earth.  

Regardless, we now see how overblown Spygate was and why it was so.  It was because the media didn't like how BB treated them and it was a sexy story that the very professional and consistently successful Pats organization was in violation of a technicality in a rule.  A stupid technicality, which was location of the cameraman.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxxcrwn. Show xxxcrwn's posts

Wonder what Jack Tatum would have gotten if Goodell was the Commisioner then.
    Posted by bobbysu

Probably 2 bloody fists from pummeling Goodell's face concave. ;-)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

In Response to Re: Payton Suspended for One Year and Williams Barred Indefinitly! : That's for sure.  I'm glad it was much more than fines and losses of draft choices for these offenses.  Even though football is a rough sport, paying people to intentionally cause bodily harm is wrong on all counts.   
    Posted by NCPatsFan1971

Sorta hard for something to be "much more than just fines and losses of draft choices", when- Because uhmmm, Question: "WAS there any fines and/or losses of draft choices, at all?"

Strange, very strange "scale of Goodell justice" here.  No...suspending the astoundingly genius greatest football coaching mind of Sean Payton for all of 1 Season, Is NOT in any way, shape, or form, MORE detrimental to the NO's Saints organization, Then taking away draft picks and fining the coach and owner seperately for $100's of 1000's-millions of dollars.  In relation the the committed crime?!?  A: Even less detrimental when compared to SpyGate.  There IS no equal comparison here <the first guy who compares the notion of suspended Belichick being worse than taking away the draft pick + the fines, please take a quick mental check and come back only after ya can figure why "bountygate" was worse than taping the other team for a 1/2 game longer than the league said ya could in an ambiguously contradicting series of statements, o.k.?).

This IS a perfect Goodell move-  It's a "WOW" Big & Long suspension....
    ....of 1 individual, without regards to punishing the franchise which housed that coach and assistant coach, and continued to allow it to occur even after numbered reports of them finding out after-the-fact (but before the public's and league office's full knowledge).

This is the eye-candy punishment severity: Looks good to the public, and tastes good to the Saints Org, and smells wonderful for the league and their head Front Office Commissioner guys.  Becomes thrown excessively on 1 guy, to remove notions of some exacting extendable punishments on any of the bigger boys, who might be lesser accomplices no doubt, But can be punished now in a much more minimal or just nonexistant way, under this initial outward guise of hammering down a couple middle men, guilty more than the others, But not so much to be THE sole guys to have to pay any and all forms of penance.        

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

Oh, and one more point about the draft picks.  The Pats loss of their first was somewhat mitigated by the fact that they owned the 49ers' first in the 2008 draft.  The Saints loss of their second is made worse by the fact that they have no first in the 2012 draft.  Those factors shouldn't have weighed in to the penalties (except for the fact that Goodell couldn't take away the Saints' 2012 first), but they do end up being somewhat more painful to the Saints than the Pats.
    Posted by MattC05

Which one is it, ya know?  The final sentence "btw" of: "These factors shouldn't weigh into the penalties," OR the rest of the post and the sentiment behind it that: "The loss of the pats first is somewhat mitigated by the fact that they owned their own and the 49'ers 1st in 2008; While the Saints already used this year's first, so they have none"???

I was never the greatest proponent of grading people on curves, just because one person's smart and/or more driven and/or more prepared and/or more thorough and/or thus, more successful than some other guy in a situation which could offer them=The Exact Same Chances to do the very same.  Sorta hard sell to me...Neither the fully accepted A grade worsened to a B in the classroom, the results contingent not on me or the actual performance I gave- NOR the greater philosophy of hammering Job into a b00dy pulp b/c he was such a good person and servant of God that he needed to be tested far more brutally and fully- 

Ya see, these never really were the biggest of sellers in my Fairness and Equality Righteousness Department.

Sections
Shortcuts