PC in NFL RIDICULOUS!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Re: PC in NFL RIDICULOUS!!

PC is much worse in your workplace than the so-called "ridiculous" NFL. Try calling your colleague the N word in the break room and get your pink slip. 

"you sound like a true liberal. "i believe in free speech that i approve of""

This is not a free speech issue. Companies have every right to regulate what speech is acceptable in their workplaces. Whether it's a good decision or even hypocritical, well that is open to debate for sure. 

But the NFL is not infringing on free speech in any way by doing this. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Let's not get too awfully hung up on the term 'free speech.'  We as Americans are guaranteed the right by the 1st Amendment to our constitution to freedom of speech without government interference.  That said, that right, like every right is not absolute.  Those limitations have repeatedly withstood Supreme Court scrutiny

Freedom of speech in the work place is not now nor has it ever been a 'right.'  If you call your boss 28 kinds of a motherf**ker to his face you have more than a reasonable expectation of being shown the door. (Yes, I had an employee do that.  I allowed her to finish her rant, asked her if she was finished and when she said 'yes', I promptly fired her sorry a_ss.) 

Similarly, employers have an obligation to control the working environment.  Disruptive speech, regardless of its nature, is counterproductive at best.  However, it all boils down to how you define 'disruptive'. 

Prohibiting the use of racial slurs in an NFL game may or may not be something that is practical given the common usage of certain terms.  It strikes me as an area worthy of exploration by both the league and the union.  If reasonable controls can foster a better working situation for all players then great.  And if it's not practical than it isn't.  However, suggesting an attempt to address abuses in this area is an exercise in political correctness is just plain silly. 

And before anyone starts throwing labels around, I'm nobody's 'liberal' (whatever the he11 that means.)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHAMPSXLVIII. Show CHAMPSXLVIII's posts

As a religious person I find all curse words offensive- especially when someone takes the lord's name in vain. I think these words should be penalized as well.

Prohibiting the use of slurring the lord in an NFL game may or may not be something that is practical given the common usage of certain terms.  It strikes me as an area worthy of exploration by both the league and the union.  If reasonable controls can foster a better working situation for all players then great.  And if it's not practical than it isn't.  However, suggesting an attempt to address abuses in this area is an exercise in political correctness is just plain silly.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

CHAMPS - you're welcome to quote me at any time and I can understand why you would apply what I wrote earlier to your beliefs.  Might sit a little better all around, however, if you'd at least attribute the quote.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHAMPSXLVIII. Show CHAMPSXLVIII's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:

CHAMPS - you're welcome to quote me at any time and I can understand why you would apply what I wrote earlier to your beliefs.  Might sit a little better all around, however, if you'd at least attribute the quote.

oh i was just making a point to you as you know- but then preteneded you didnt -

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

And how many refs are actually going to slow down a game that much by flagging that language?

Even if it becomes a rule, refs will likely never flag this play.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to CHAMPSXLVIII's comment:

i think they are really more concerned about the gay curse word- and you cant blame them- the gay issue is exceedingly important to the media- imagine the negative publicity for the league if players start calling michael sam the  f word

well there's the loophole, gay people aren't a race they are a sexual orientation

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

oh i was just making a point to you as you know- but then preteneded you didnt -

Actually if you read my response after you made 'your point' you would have seen that I did get your point but was trying to be respectful in the way I responded.  

Regardless, a little common courtesy would have been in order after you quoted an entire paragraph of mine without attributon.  But that is apparently a point you missed; or did you?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Sorry but I don't see this as 'PC' but human decency. I suppose you are fine if the person sitting next to you at a sporting event with your family is yelling at the players 'f__ing N___'?!

If not then why should that behavior be any better among the players?

There is this strange idea that sports and especially football exist in a magical realm outside the bounds of our civic society and that any behavior by the athletes and coaches should not be held to the same standards of real society. And my question is why?

I doubt any of you would use that language in a pick-up game at the local gym or on a city court. What makes it OK with professional players?

Players complained when they were forced to clean up their act when female reporters were allowed into the locker rooms - is anyone going to argue that that was a bad thing?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to NEGAME2's comment:

to texas pat--why is it ok to make racial slurs to anybody , anyplace, anytime??  It won't be condoned in your workplace, my workplace, why should it be allowed  in the NFL.  the workplace for the players is on the field.  Why do you all think it's ok to demean people.

I think the NFL should take a year before enforcing this,  let the refs police it and remind players what will happen if it continues. It should be an educational process not a penalty at this time. 

Stop it! Do you want to see a game decided because a referree thinks he heard somebody using "the n word" before, during, or after a play? What about if a white player was insulted in a similar fashion? Do you think that a slur against a white person would be as vigorously enforced? Football is not general society. It's a form of controlled warfare that is rough, tough, and at times brutal. Tons of things are said in anger, or to throw other players off of their games.

Can we agree that the officials already have far too much power to decide the outcome of games? Do you advocate giving them more? What would constitute a "racial slur"? Where do you draw the line?  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

I don't like the fact that it's ok for blacks to call each other the "N" word, but if a white guy says it (cooper)  he's raked thro the coals, yet he hears it all the time in the locker room and on the field.  I don't think riley Cooper is a bigot, he just used a ok word that he's heard over and over.

and the African Americans need to start caring more about themselves,  stopping it on the field of play is a good start.

RESPONSE Apparently, the push to end racial slurs on the field is now being limited to just use of the "n word". Cue the attacks on the "Redskin" nickname again. ENOUGH of this media driven garbage!! Aren't these players adults? Most NFL players are African-American anyway...and call themselves the "n-word" in normal conversations. Once you let the speech police get their foot in the door, where does it end?

You would think that the Rules Committee would be far more focused on doing something about the high percentage of knee injuries (now that they've outlawed head shots), the awful PI calls, and the poor officiating in general that we saw during the past season: http://nypost.com/2014/02/22/nfl-aiming-to-crack-down-on-racial-slurs/ 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME2. Show NEGAME2's posts

WELL if the Players stop doing it !!!!  The refs won't have to make the call--will they.  that's the point of the putting the rule in place.  I know if I've made a racial slur, and I'm sure you do too, you probably have many in your vocabulary.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

WELL if the Players stop doing it !!!!  The refs won't have to make the call--will they.  that's the point of the putting the rule in place.  I know if I've made a racial slur, and I'm sure you do too, you probably have many in your vocabulary.

Why should the players have to be made to stop using the "n-word", when they consistently use it with each other both on and off the field, in their normal course of conversing? Why? Because somebody or some group out there doesn't like it...not because it is so offensive that it brings players to their knees. Once stuff like this is allowed, where does it end? 

Is this that far removed from policing speech in the form, for example, of criticism of our current President? What if it is deemed by those in power that criticism of the President  has become so vile and unpatriotic that it becomes a fine-able, or jailable offense? Would you be okay with that?  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME2. Show NEGAME2's posts

The Fritz Pollard Alliance, an influential group that promotes diversity and job equality in the NFL, called on players Thursday to stop using the N-word on the field after highly publicized incidents involving the Miami Dolphins and Washington Redskins.

Harry Carson and John Wooten, the organization's executive director and chair, respectively, released a statement saying a number of game-day officials commonly have heard players use the the N-word, from Charles Barkley and Michael Wilbon to Jay Z. S

"As former players (along with thousands of others) who have worked hard in different eras of the game to leave proud legacies for those who follow us, we are appalled and extremely disappointed to learn that the worst and most derogatory word ever spoken in our country is being used during games as well as casually in the locker room," the statement reads.

The Alliance also has called on the league to punish players who use the racial slur on the field through immediate ejections and subsequent fines, league sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10012596/fritz-pollard-alliance-asks-nfl-players-end-n-word-u

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from APpats22. Show APpats22's posts

In reality what racial slurs are used in the NFL? The N word? I doubt anything else. That's the one used the most. I'm fine with the players using with each other during a game. TexasPat says it best:

"Stop it! Do you want to see a game decided because a referree thinks he heard somebody using "the n word" before, during, or after a play? What about if a white player was insulted in a similar fashion? Do you think that a slur against a white person would be as vigorously enforced? Football is not general society. It's a form of controlled warfare that is rough, tough, and at times brutal. Tons of things are said in anger, or to throw other players off of their games."

Are they truly trying to hurt each other by saying it? No, it's just stuff that comes out when they're pumped with adrenaline. Horrible decision by the NFL.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PhatVirginian. Show PhatVirginian's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

More Goodell nonsense and over-reaction, as the NFL is thinking about flagging players 15 yards for making racial slurs on the field. I kid you not: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/22/nfl-may-impose-15-yard-penalties-for-racial-slurs-on-the-field/

Hey, TexasPat - my apologies for starting a different thread on the same subject.  It was inadvertant - as I didn't even know what your thread was about. My bad.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME2. Show NEGAME2's posts

"Are they truly trying to hurt each other by saying it? No, it's just stuff that comes out when they're pumped with adrenaline. Horrible decision by the NFL."

are you black?  and you know this because you have been on the field with them?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from APpats22. Show APpats22's posts

"Are they truly trying to hurt each other by saying it? No, it's just stuff that comes out when they're pumped with adrenaline. Horrible decision by the NFL."

are you black?  and you know this because you have been on the field with them?

Nope Puerto Rican but played alot of sports and been around alot of people in question who would fall under this catagory. NFL? No but is it any different from a regular college or high scholl game? They say the same stuff. These are new times. The N word isn't the same anymore. It's one thing if it's an "er" ending than one ending with "a". The "er" isn't acceptable but "a" is. No matter how much you detest it, it's the truth. Is it racist if a black guy says it to another black guy? Nope. Black guy to white guy? Nope. What matters is how it's said and that goes for any word. If you wanted to you could call some a marshmellow with enough distain to make it seem offensive and vulgar.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHAMPSXLVIII. Show CHAMPSXLVIII's posts

Actually if you read my response after you made 'your point' you would have seen that I did get your point but was trying to be respectful in the way I responded.  

Regardless, a little common courtesy would have been in order after you quoted an entire paragraph of mine without attributon.  But that is apparently a point you missed; or did you?

a little common courtesy would have been in order
      that is apparently a point i missed; or did i?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

I am not for a rule that dictates what specifically cannot be said on the field

BUT

there is unsportsmanlike conduct rules and frankly if one takes that literally then there should be some guidlines.

Frankly I believe there is wayyyyyy too much lack of ehtics and wayyyyy too much hostility and holier than thou hate in this country and I think it would be good to counter it with some desire to be better people

you sound like a true liberal. "i believe in free speech that i approve of"

Better to keep your conversations to sports. Judging people by a sentence is moronic. So is using a label as if every person who tends to be politically liberal or politically conservative is good or bad. Too many simple minded fools ... to you everything is a knee jerk reaction and an absolute judgement.

My point was that we have both in our country and in the NFL generally a concept of sportsmanlike conduct and unsportsmanlike conduct. If you take it as anything other than meaningless then there is at least a reason to discuss the issue.

Join the adult world and stop throwing labels like they were bombs and then beating your chest like you said something insightful or significant.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Let's not get too awfully hung up on the term 'free speech.'  We as Americans are guaranteed the right by the 1st Amendment to our constitution to freedom of speech without government interference.  That said, that right, like every right is not absolute.  Those limitations have repeatedly withstood Supreme Court scrutiny

Freedom of speech in the work place is not now nor has it ever been a 'right.'  If you call your boss 28 kinds of a motherf**ker to his face you have more than a reasonable expectation of being shown the door. (Yes, I had an employee do that.  I allowed her to finish her rant, asked her if she was finished and when she said 'yes', I promptly fired her sorry a_ss.) 

Similarly, employers have an obligation to control the working environment.  Disruptive speech, regardless of its nature, is counterproductive at best.  However, it all boils down to how you define 'disruptive'. 

Prohibiting the use of racial slurs in an NFL game may or may not be something that is practical given the common usage of certain terms.  It strikes me as an area worthy of exploration by both the league and the union.  If reasonable controls can foster a better working situation for all players then great.  And if it's not practical than it isn't.  However, suggesting an attempt to address abuses in this area is an exercise in political correctness is just plain silly. 

And before anyone starts throwing labels around, I'm nobody's 'liberal' (whatever the he11 that means.)

Some very good points.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

As a religious person I find all curse words offensive- especially when someone takes the lord's name in vain. I think these words should be penalized as well.

Prohibiting the use of slurring the lord in an NFL game may or may not be something that is practical given the common usage of certain terms.  It strikes me as an area worthy of exploration by both the league and the union.  If reasonable controls can foster a better working situation for all players then great.  And if it's not practical than it isn't.  However, suggesting an attempt to address abuses in this area is an exercise in political correctness is just plain silly.

You are a religious person? Really? I am very surprised. Very. You use labels in an attempt to demean people ... and people you dont even know, based on a sentence here or there. What moral precepts do you live by? You might go to a place of worship on some schedule. You might embace your so called religion. But there is a real question as to whether you actually embace the underlying principles of your religion.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to mia76's comment:

Sorry but I don't see this as 'PC' but human decency. I suppose you are fine if the person sitting next to you at a sporting event with your family is yelling at the players 'f__ing N___'?!

If not then why should that behavior be any better among the players?

There is this strange idea that sports and especially football exist in a magical realm outside the bounds of our civic society and that any behavior by the athletes and coaches should not be held to the same standards of real society. And my question is why?

I doubt any of you would use that language in a pick-up game at the local gym or on a city court. What makes it OK with professional players?

Players complained when they were forced to clean up their act when female reporters were allowed into the locker rooms - is anyone going to argue that that was a bad thing?

Good points

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Evidently courtesy is not a valued trait in CHAMPSXLVIII's religion. Can't be. He/she is not and they claim to be "religious". Not sure what that means to them!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

The Fritz Pollard Alliance, an influential group that promotes diversity and job equality in the NFL, called on players Thursday to stop using the N-word on the field after highly publicized incidents involving the Miami Dolphins and Washington Redskins.

Harry Carson and John Wooten, the organization's executive director and chair, respectively, released a statement saying a number of game-day officials commonly have heard players use the the N-word, from Charles Barkley and Michael Wilbon to Jay Z. S

"As former players (along with thousands of others) who have worked hard in different eras of the game to leave proud legacies for those who follow us, we are appalled and extremely disappointed to learn that the worst and most derogatory word ever spoken in our country is being used during games as well as casually in the locker room," the statement reads.

The Alliance also has called on the league to punish players who use the racial slur on the field through immediate ejections and subsequent fines, league sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10012596/fritz-pollard-alliance-asks-nfl-players-end-n-word-u

So?? And your point is?

How about some of the lyrics in rap music? How about certain tatoos? Aren't they every bit as offensive to many people as the "n word"? Where does it stop? This is a slippery slope to start down on.

Sections
Shortcuts