In Response to Re: Pees needs to go.:
[QUOTE]Pete ... your expectations are unrealistic, if not irrational.  Every D, no matter how good, is going to give up a touchdown or a field goal sooner or later.  The better defenses give up fewer points.  It's that simple.   "The D had an awful half in the playoffs three years ago, gave up a touchdown at the worst possible time in the Superbowl, had 5 bad games last year, and allowed 2 90+ TD drives last week ... so let's fire the D coordinator."  Have you ever considered that Pees' defense: 1.  Was in the top 5 in scoring defense in 2006 and 2007, and the top 10 in 2008. 2.  Kept our season alive in 2006, when our top receiver was Reche Caldwell; and kept the highest scoring team, San Diego, to 21 points in the playoffs, while our offense was having a miserable game until the 4th quarter, with Brady throwing 3 picks. 3.  Did not allow a touchdown for 9 straight quarters in the 2007 playoffs. 4.  Has not allowed more than 20 points a game this season, or 17 in 4 quarters, and has, in every game, given the ball back to our offense multiple times in the 4th quarter for a chance to win it. And finally ... you do realize that our "clutch" Ds of yore collapsed in the 4th quarter of the 2001 and 2003 superbowls, letting both the Rams and the Panthers tie the game with under 2:00 to go, and also let McNabb march down the field in the 4th quarter of 2004 to get within 3. But I digress.  You're right.  The handful of examples of poor play from our D over the past few years means one thing ... Fire Pees!
Posted by themightypatriotz[/QUOTE]

Was I being unrealistic when I thought the Pats had the 2006 AFCCG in the bag after a 21-3 halftime lead?

Was I over the top to assume that the Pats had a 19-0 season underwraps when the Giants were buried at their own 17 with 2:17 remaining and needing a TD to win?

As for the SD game in the 2006 playoffs, the Pats had no business winning that game. If McCree had simply batted the ball rather than trying to intercept it, SD would have won. That and Schotty's horrible coaching.

BTW, your regular season stats are irrelvant. A team will face top offenses in the playoffs. The Pats, under Pees' watch, suffer the 1st sign of decline, losing big games to elite teams. It's been the trend for this team since SB 42. Last season's 11-5 mark was a product of their soft schedule. Look at the teams the Pats lost to last season: all playoff teams sans the 9-7 Jets.

Another thing your stats fail to mention is how poorly this D has performed in clutch season-on-the-line situations. I've cited many examples.