People need to wake up and stop hating on this D!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prophet76. Show Prophet76's posts

People need to wake up and stop hating on this D!

I'm listening to the Hub last night on my nightly drive and someone calls in talking draft and how we have to do something pretty big  in order to improve our Defense. Now I understand the idea of grabbing another key cog to bolster it up but honestly this D as currently constituted has tremendous potential once the D Line is healthy and is playing pretty lights out missing some key pieces. 

Over the last 4 games they've only given up 40 points with 27 of those points going to the Packers which was an off game execution wise for the D and it didn't help they were missing some bodies up front.

Over the last 4 games teams have only averaged 189 passing yards against.

Over the last 4 games teams have averaged 116 rushing yards against which you could say is a point of concern (patchwork D line), but there are things to consider that alot of the yardage was gained in passing situations etc...

Over the last 4 games the D has taken the ball away 16 times.

In summary the last month of the season...
    Only giving up 10 points a game on average, and averaging 4 turnovers a game. 

WHAT MORE DO THESE PEOPLE WANT????  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RahZid. Show RahZid's posts

Re: People need to wake up and stop hating on this D!

In Response to People need to wake up and stop hating on this D!:
    I'm listening to the Hub last night 
    Posted by Prophet76

That was your first mistake.

The D is fine, next year we will have Bodden and Ty Warren coming back as 2 major contributers, with all of the other great talent that we have.  I still wouldn't mind seeing a DE drafted high, but we have way too many needs along the O Line (LT/RT [if Vollmer moves to LT, due to the potential departure of Light], LG [Mankins leaving], RG [Neal's last season], C [Koppen's last year on his deal]).

For the first time in a while, defense is not the issue heading into the draft.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PerryM. Show PerryM's posts

If we are so bad, how come we have 4 Pro Bowlers on our D

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: People need to wake up and stop hating on this D!:
    If we are so bad, how come we have 4 Pro Bowlers on our D
    Posted by PerryM

In the eyes of the public:  No one appreciates a good lineman (Vince), Meriwether didn't seem to deserve it (I can't really say I would disagree), Mayo isn't flashy enough for he average fan, and DMC is a rookie (although probably the most deserving of the group through the eyes of your typical fan).

Personally, I love the D.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Didn't you know?  PHat Rex has told us that passing yards allowed is the key stat for judging a defense.

lol

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PerryM. Show PerryM's posts

Didn't you know?  PHat Rex has told us that passing yards allowed is the key stat for judging a defense. lol
    Posted by BBReigns

True, Ol' PhatRex must really think that applies when Brady throws for 163 yards in and entire game, but 3 TD's. Yeah PhatRex really hits that on the head, give up yards or points. I like the way our D plays it....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Hey prophet,

Not sure you've heard but the Pats have a stockpile of picks heading into next years draft and we're currently rebuilding...

So aside from the very pleasant surprise that the Pat's are today 13-2, have secured homefield in the AFC, and have 6 players selected to represent the AFC in the Pro Bowl (4 of how are defensive players). After entering the season with many pudits picking them to finish 3rd in the division with at best an 8-8 record. Which almost to a man was qualified as being due to the "suspect defense" that was to young and not ready to compete at a high level.

Here's the deal, I too think the Pats should and will target a DL and I wouldn't be shocked to see them trade up to do so...but like you I also think there's plenty of time to talk about the draft...

Our young defense has and will continue to get better. After the years over and on draft day the final piece of the puzzle is drafting a guy that teams game plan thier blocking scemes for...Wilfork is a force, but none of our other DL are impact players or one that command double teams...Also our d-line is getting a little long in the touth...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

The huge number of passing yards we allow has nothing to do with teams playing catch up after the 1st quarter.....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Umm, and how is that?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

When did hate start taking a preposition?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Hey prophet, Not sure you've heard but the Pats have a stockpile of picks heading into next years draft and we're currently rebuilding... So aside from the very pleasant surprise that the Pat's are today 13-2, have secured homefield in the AFC, and have 6 players selected to represent the AFC in the Pro Bowl (4 of how are defensive players). After entering the season with many pudits picking them to finish 3rd in the division with at best an 8-8 record. Which almost to a man was qualified as being due to the "suspect defense" that was to young and not ready to compete at a high level. Here's the deal, I too think the Pats should and will target a DL and I wouldn't be shocked to see them trade up to do so...but like you I also think there's plenty of time to talk about the draft... Our young defense has and will continue to get better. After the years over and on draft day the final piece of the puzzle is drafting a guy that teams game plan thier blocking scemes for...Wilfork is a force, but none of our other DL are impact players or one that command double teams...Also our d-line is getting a little long in the touth...
    Posted by Beantowne

What about Ty Warren (for double teams)?  He will be 30 at the start of next season, so not young, but not old either.  Wilfork will be 29 when next season starts.  Brace has shown potential this year at DE when healthy (and is very young, he'll be 25), although that would certainly be the place to upgrade the D Line.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Umm, and how is that?
    Posted by BBReigns

If that was aimed at me, I was being sarcastic.  There was no eyeroll face to drive home the sarcasm.  I thought the ... would be enough.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Ahh. My bad. We get such a large batch of troll work here, I thought maybe it was a troll attempt.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

In Response to Re: People need to wake up and stop hating on this D! : What about Ty Warren (for double teams)?  He will be 30 at the start of next season, so not young, but not old either.  Wilfork will be 29 when next season starts.  Brace has shown potential this year at DE when healthy (and is very young, he'll be 25), although that would certainly be the place to upgrade the D Line.
    Posted by JB-3

Honestly, I feel it's a health question.  Gerard Warren is older, but could be cheaper and healthier than Ty.

I think this comes down to what they get in the draft. If they go DT or DE in the 1st rd, can sign Gerard for 1-2 years pretty cheaply, then I think Ty Warren may be too costly under his deal.

Ty Warren is a very sound 3-4 DE here, but he's been dinged up for basically 2-3 seasons now.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prophet76. Show Prophet76's posts

In Response to People need to wake up and stop hating on this D! : That was your first mistake. The D is fine, next year we will have Bodden and Ty Warren coming back as 2 major contributers, with all of the other great talent that we have.  I still wouldn't mind seeing a DE drafted high, but we have way too many needs along the O Line (LT/RT [if Vollmer moves to LT, due to the potential departure of Light], LG [Mankins leaving], RG [Neal's last season], C [Koppen's last year on his deal]). For the first time in a while, defense is not the issue heading into the draft.
    Posted by RahZid

I enjoy the Hub. I was a longtime listener of EEI and still listen to the interviews off patriots.com throughout the week. I just grew very tired of the grumpy old blowhards in the morning, and the big screaming over one another show in the afternoon when all callers are not allowed to get a word in edgewise. Also, the rhetoric that is consistently spewed in those timeslots is not exactly my cup of tea!

As far as the O Line I'm really hoping they can lock up Mankins!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In Response to Re: People need to wake up and stop hating on this D! : What about Ty Warren (for double teams)?  He will be 30 at the start of next season, so not young, but not old either.  Wilfork will be 29 when next season starts.  Brace has shown potential this year at DE when healthy (and is very young, he'll be 25), although that would certainly be the place to upgrade the D Line.
    Posted by JB-3

Hey JB,
    Warren's a solid, oft injured player, not a guy that commands double teams. we have some good young DL, all have the potentail to be good players, none of them I'd consider impact types though...All I was trying to say was that if there's a 3-4 DE on the board that is in the mold of Seymour I'd be really surprised is the Pat's passed on him...not hating the defense or the current personnel, just looking at it from a longterm perspective...We've got a solid core of young linebakers, corners and safties all of whom are under the teams control for 3 to 5 years...our d-line has some good young players...adding an impact type along with the core of youth we have and we'll be set up to contend well into the next decade...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

D has been steadily improving over the course of the season and has been quite strong in December.  As so many others have pointed out in this thread and others, BB doesn't really care about the yards surrendered. What he does care about is not surrendering the big play and keeping the oppostion out of the end zone.  Since the second half of the Detroit game, this D has, for the most part, performed extremely well in that regard.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Well I was a big fan of Dean Pees and was sad to see him go, but it does seem like the D is better at finishing games this year than when he was around - although the D was pretty good at finishing regular season games under Pees too.  Anyway, I hope this D is better at finishing playoff games than Pees' defenses were.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

The NE D gives up a ton of yards (27 in the NFL), but they don't give up a ton of points (13th) and only seem to be getting better. 

For all the media attention that the Jets' D receives, they give up 19.8 PPG, the Pats' D?  20.4, a whopping .6 more than the so called elite D.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Posted by JB-3

I wouldn't bank on Ty Warren at this point. I can barely remember the last time he played at a dominant level (think it was an away game at Kansas City 4 years ago). I always liked the guy until he decided to go to college this off season; insted of working out and getting his hip fixed (I believe it was a lingering thing). To me, if you make 4 to 8 million a year at your day job, then you should focus on that and go back and get your degree in a few years when your career is over. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Ty has been treading down for years.  I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't crack the starting lineup next year.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

hard to believe there are still nay-sayers. It may not be a shut-down defense, but its not to far away. +27 turnove ratio, and 15th in scoring defense.

Sections
Shortcuts