Peppers for Wilfork straight up

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dafoe. Show dafoe's posts

Re: Peppers for Wilfork straight up

In Response to Re: Peppers for Wilfork straight up:
    'just wow... give me some of what YOU ARE SMOKING if you dont think any of those guys help us..." Weren't Burgess and AD supposed to "help" the Pats?  AD had one great game as I recall, the 2007 Super Bowl.  We needed more than that, given how much he was paid. Any of those guys would cost too many $$$$ to waste on one position.  In case you've not noticed, the Colts have gotten where they are by not spending big $$$ of VFA's.
    Posted by Patsfansince1966

The Colts are no better off than we are. They were knocked out of the playoffs just like we were. So forgive me if I don't see them as some sort of model for the rest of the NFL.

But I agree that Peppers really woudn't help this team very much. I have no interest in guys that don't give 100% every game and Peppers is one of those guys. The last thing we need on this team is another overpaid player.

I'm not saying our defense doesn't have some issues. I think we do need some help. But there are a few reasons the Colts are better right now:

1) Our defensive playcalling s ucks, quite frankly. Uninspired and predictable. Lack of agression. How many times can you send a 3 man rush and expect to get to the QB? Yes, we probably need a couple of edge rushers. But it's a lot harder to pressure the QB when you are not even trying. I don't even remember the last time this team ran a safety blitz. They used to do it all the time with Harrison.

Far too often the other team is easily completing 3rd and 5 or 6 because our DBs are playing 10 yards off the WRs. Are we really that terrified of the long ball? Really?! That we are willing to give away so many third down completions? Probably the single most irritating thing about the 09 Pats. Other than Matt Light.

2) Offensive playcalling. Like the defensive play calling- very uninspired and predictable. Far too many cases where other teams completly shut us down in the second half. And we were unwilling or unable to make the adjustments. I played high school and Division 3 college ball. I would hardly consider myself a football expert. But towards the end of the year I could predict, with alarming regualrity. what the  Pats were going to run in any given situation. It became a running joke between my friends and I. If a we could predict what the Pats were going to do, I can only imagine what a professional coordinator with hours of film study and years (and in some cases, decades) of experience can do.

3) The first two problem were fixable. Instead Bill decided to not address them. Which in my mind is both ridiculous and frustrating as a Pats fan. And I'm sorry, makes me question his priorities.

4) The Colts offensive line is superior to ours. Our OLine just isn't good enough. When teams want to pressure Brady, they do. And as much as I dislike Maroney, a small part of his issue may have to do with a bad offensive line.

5) Tom Brady. I know I'm going to take a lot of flak for this one. But Tom Brady isn't Tom Brady anymore. 07 seems to have changed him. The encouraging thing is that this is easily fixable.
    But Tom needs to get back to doing what made him great in the first place. Just distributing the ball to the open guy. No more gunslinger. No more trying to air it out to Moss a dozen times a game. No more trying to force it into Moss or Welker. Just go back good solid football. Take what the defense gives you. You can't tell me that Edleman, or Aiken, or whoever is over there at the 3 spot isn't getting open with the coverage that Moss and Welker are getting. Or even Ben Watson. 

Maybe I've got my rose colored glasses on. But I don't think this team is that far away from being a contender. But I also don't think we are that far away from the edge of a cliff either. The good news is that most of our issues are fixable during the offseason. Let's see what happens. The weird thing about 2010 Patriots is , no matter what they do, I don't think I will be shocked either way. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rebels1520. Show rebels1520's posts

In Response to Re: Peppers for Wilfork straight up:
    'just wow... give me some of what YOU ARE SMOKING if you dont think any of those guys help us..." Weren't Burgess and AD supposed to "help" the Pats?  AD had one great game as I recall, the 2007 Super Bowl.  We needed more than that, given how much he was paid. Any of those guys would cost too many $$$$ to waste on one position.  In case you've not noticed, the Colts have gotten where they are by not spending big $$$ of VFA's.
    Posted by Patsfansince1966

I do understand your point i really do... but sometimes you need to take risks. Your right about the Colts not spending money on free agents all that often but they also have the benefit of Dwight Freeney consistently getting to the QB year after year. I also agree that AT was a mistake and Burgess didnt help much this season.. But i dont think that means we dont try and spend money to get a premier free agent

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

dafoe, in regards to, "5) Tom Brady. I know I'm going to take a lot of flak for this one. But Tom Brady isn't Tom Brady anymore. 07 seems to have changed him. The encouraging thing is that this is easily fixable.
    But Tom needs to get back to doing what made him great in the first place. Just distributing the ball to the open guy. No more gunslinger. No more trying to air it out to Moss a dozen times a game. No more trying to force it into Moss or Welker. Just go back good solid football. Take what the defense gives you. You can't tell me that Edleman, or Aiken, or whoever is over there at the 3 spot isn't getting open with the coverage that Moss and Welker are getting. Or even Ben Watson. "

I know this year was not 2007 and I do want Brady to spread the ball more, BUT do you realize this year was his second best year ever?  On better one was 2007.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

The fact that I have to read through all of these Peppers topics is bad enough.  Look guys, it's not going to happen and belive it or not that's probably a good thing.  But now we are hypothesizing trading our best and most reliable defensive player for one that might come here and be a bust is the sound of the door opening to coocoo land. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Forgive me if someone already said this but inorder for both players to be traded they both need to be fanchised. That gives Peppers around 20mil and Wilfork around 7 mil. Now Car won't pay Peppers 20mil so odds are they won't fanchise him unless they have a trade in place. In the end Peppers will be a FA and no team will give him 20 mil a year so trading Wilfork for him would be basically be giving Wilfork away for free. Instead why not just try to sign Peppers outright and trade Wilfork for some picks or another non-FA player that upgrades the team.

Bad trade idea

Sections
Shortcuts