Peppers or Seymore? Take your pick!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

The Pats have Seymore, Wilfork, and Mankins heading towards free agency. If BB intends to sign all of these guys, there is no way we get Peppers.

If the only way we can sign Peppers is to let one of these guys walk, I am of the opinion that we let Seymore go. In my opinion, he hasn't exactly lived up to the gigantic contract he signed. He's also not getting any younger.

Wilfork is imperative at the Nose to run an effective 34 defense and Mankins is a dominant guard in the prime of his career. Can the Pats grab a 2 gap tackle in the draft or FA to replace Seymore? Maybe not the Seymore of old but we can find someone who can be effective.

Bottom line is, if we want Peppers, there is no way we can sign Seymore, Mankins, and Wilfork. If we let one walk in order to sign peppers, what do you do?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

replacing Mankins is not as easy as you guys make it out to be, mankins could be a hall of fame LG like Hannah was and we havent had one of those in a long long time. he is the best o linemen we have and he is still very young for a gaurd and he has no injury history. The Seahawks thought that they could replace Hutchstein when they let him go to the Vikings and they havent made it back to the super bowl since he left. Mankins is the best LG in football and it wont be easy to replace him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

Grogan, you're crazy man! I can see someone picking Seymore over Peppers after a long struggling decision but "by a landslide"? C'mon man!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

[Quote]Grogan, you're crazy man! I can see someone picking Seymore over Peppers after a long struggling decision but "by a landslide"? C'mon man![/Quote]

This isn't just about comparing both players on a talent level, if the Pats pickup Peppers it will be a big part of their budget for players for years to come. I would rather have solid veterans and backups for depth then to put everything in to one superstar. Rosie and A.D. should have taught us fans that your playing with fire when you sign guys to such huge contracts, because all it takes is one injury and your left with castoffs starting late in Dec. The Pats need to just sign Jason Taylor and a few quality vets an keep their #34 pick, if they move up they can pickup another Mayo, that's the way it needs to get done for another trip to the big dance.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from killridemaster. Show killridemaster's posts

Mankins

Wilfork

Seymour

in that order. It's very close between the firs two guys, but quality o-line play is soo important.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Agree with KYLECLERIC on this one. I'd say the odd man out in a potential deal for Peppers would be Mankins because a good OG is easier to find than a good 3-4 DE (Seymour) or NT (WIlfork). Think about it, the only reasonably good 1st round 3-4 DE is Tyson Jackson and the only 3-4 nose I would want Raji. For one year we will have an awesome defense. After that it's anyone's guess. Would you rather have Seymour or James Harrison might be a more appropriate question. (eg; pass-rushing OLB). Keep in mind Harrison was barely in the league three years ago; you can't say that about Peppers. My only concern in all of this is can Peppers play the 3-4 OLB ? ; if BB thinks he can't, he won't end up here despite what his agent says or does. Also don't want the Pats in cap hell.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

I would rather let Seymore walk and resign Wilfork and Mankins in that situation but if the question is simply who would i rather have Seymore or Peppers? My answer will always be Seymore as he is the best 3-4 DE in football.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

I say keep them both.The pats need a new identity on defense.many teams around the league have steller defenses,and the pats also need one.im a seymour fan,but the pats need someone like peppers.he had 14 sacks this past season.half of what the pats whole defense put up.its time to take the training wheels off the defense.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

Can't compare, Seymor DE and Peppers would come here to play OLB. If you are talking about Peppers as a DE in a 3 4 it wouldn't happen. He's not big enough for it, and also Seymore is key to that defense. Can't compare the two, they are two different type players but out of the two I rather have Seymore brings to the line.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

MVP: Agreed, Seymore is "CAPABLE" of being the best 3-4 DE in football. I think Peppers will bring more "game changing" playmaking ability to the defense therefore I'm in the camp of sign Peppers and let Seymore walk.

While I am fully aware of what Seymore's responsibilities are and they happen to be underrated and unnoticed by many fans, I think we can replace him with someone who can be effective enough.

Peppers is just a freak of nature. I would love to see BB use him the EXACT same way he did with lawrence Taylor!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

m

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

I want make three things abundantly clear; 1) Mankins is easily our best offensive linemen and if given the choice between uncapped years forever (keeping Wilfork, Seymour and Mankins for a long time) and any other alternative; I chose the former over the latter; 2) No one seems to be stating the obvious: this could all be gamesmanship on the part of Peppers' agent, 3) This is far from being a done deal and a siginificant part of me believes the Panthers brass will want more (a first in 2010) than high 2nd.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from uncommon-sense. Show uncommon-sense's posts

Seymour all day without thinking twice. I love how people refuse to recognize that he was a beast last year... he tied his career high for sacks 8 and had more than a few clutch third down stops. Those who want him to have crazy numbers don't realize that his limitations are system imposed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

Seymour by a landslide!!!!!!! No Peppers in NE!!!!!! Right now I'm feeling pretty good that this deal isn't going to happen, word is the Panthers won't take just a 2nd rd pick and Peppers wants to get paid!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

nah man I agree with Grogan i would take Seymore by a landslide. Think of it this way delux, how many team leaders have we lost this offseason? how many three ring players have we lost?

Vrabel**
    Paxton
    Izzo**

and the list goes on, Seymore is a huge team leader and he has all 3 super bowl rings. We count on our veterans to police the locker room, that is how we are able to bring guys like Moss in because we have a veteran locker room who police themselves and what will we do if we start letting all of our leaders go? so what? so we can replace them with "stars"? screw that, the Pats moto is "We are here to build a team not collect talent" look it up. Seymore is too much of a team leader for us to just let him go, we are getting short on team leaders and after this year when Bruschi calls it quits we will be hurting even more for team leaders so we abosolutly cant aford to lose Seymore or Wilfork they are leaders on that D.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

Peppers is not comong to the Pats. Never was. Why people believe half of what comes out of the mouths of sports 'reporters' is beyond me. About 10% know what they're talking about. The rest are full of crap.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

d

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bunchofpixels. Show bunchofpixels's posts

I'd rather have Seymour on the roster than Peppers.

If I had to choose 1 of the three to go, it would be Mankins.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Maybe people are jumping the gun here. First off, it's only speculation at this time. We don't actually know what the cap hit would be for Peppers. I'm sure in any case BB will not jeopardize the cap for any one player. If they can find a way to make it work financially, I'm all for it. But one way or another they need to address OLB. I doubt they'd do like KC did with Cassel, and trade before an agreement was in place!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

m

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jonhoop74. Show jonhoop74's posts

Keep Semour, Mankins and Wilfork and pick Conner Barwin at #34, he has faster 40 times than Mayo and he is a hell of a lot cheaper than Peppers.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

[Quote]nah man I agree with Grogan i would take Seymore by a landslide. Think of it this way delux, how many team leaders have we lost this offseason? how many three ring players have we lost?

Vrabel**
    Paxton
    Izzo**

and the list goes on, Seymore is a huge team leader and he has all 3 super bowl rings. We count on our veterans to police the locker room, that is how we are able to bring guys like Moss in because we have a veteran locker room who police themselves and what will we do if we start letting all of our leaders go? so what? so we can replace them with "stars"? screw that, the Pats moto is "We are here to build a team not collect talent" look it up. Seymore is too much of a team leader for us to just let him go, we are getting short on team leaders and after this year when Bruschi calls it quits we will be hurting even more for team leaders so we abosolutly cant aford to lose Seymore or Wilfork they are leaders on that D.[/Quote]

MVP: I hear you on the leadership thing but we have new leaders emerging like Mayo, Mankins, Light, Koppen, and of course we still have Brady and BB! Peppers is a freak. BB would utilize him just like he did with Lawrence Taylor. I can just imagine what he would do to opposing offenses!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rdf63. Show rdf63's posts

I would love to have Peppers join the Patriots but realistically we can't afford him. We have to keep Makins, Wilfork and possibly Seymour and the Peppers situation won't happen. Lets look at the Finances alone, Peppers wants a long term deal most likely in the $12 - $16 million a year range and that would be a big problem. Sign the veterans, keep the draft picks and getting four draft picks in the first 2 rounds wont be as much of a financial burdern. I like Peppers but he is too expensive.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

[Quote]Seymour isn't likely competing with the others for an extension. his costs would go down with an extension and future costs just aren't very important right now. For Seymour, the question is will they extend him or will they let him go. Peppers isn't part of the argument. He is perhaps part of the argument with Wilfork and Mankins. The ideal situation is to extend Seymour and Peppers and then one of the other two, probably Wilfork, and franchise the other one, probably Mankins.[/Quote]

WOW- you're the first guy to name the player (i.e. Seymour) in question correctly. One might guess that if one were unsure about the spelling of a player's name, they might look it up...shame and a sin.

Sections
Shortcuts