Peppers or Seymore? Take your pick!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

SORRY FOR MISPELLING SEYMORE'S NAME! It's drilled into my head from all the years watching "Seymore Butts" videos!

I Miss Shane - before she became weathered!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

"MVP: I hear you on the leadership thing but we have new leaders emerging like Mayo, Mankins, Light, Koppen, and of course we still have Brady and BB! Peppers is a freak. BB would utilize him just like he did with Lawrence Taylor. I can just imagine what he would do to opposing offenses!" - Delux

Delux, how can you say that Mayo is a team leader? Dont get me wrong we all have a big fat man crush on Mayo right now and rightfully so but he is still just a kid, a one year player with NO PLAYOFF experience what so ever. You cant put Mayo in the same league with Vrabel as far as leadership goes after one year of playing pro ball. And I have never once heard Light, Mankins, or Koppen reffered to in the same light as a Mike Vrabel or a Larry Izzo. I am not saying they are not leaders along the O line but they deffently dont command the same kind of leadership respect that a guy like Vrabel does. Brushci will retire next year and then Thomas will be our only super bowl LB left on the team and we lost the SB with Thomas so we will have no more 3 timers on the D and thats a big deal. Seymour is key in that locker room and so is Wilfork. We can draft all the Mayo's we want but they wont be leaders in that locker room for a while and we cant afford to start over at every spot just so we can get some super star OLB thats crazy. Three players for the price of one is not smart football. The Pats are about building a team not collecting talent and thats why we win championships while teh Cowboys cant even win a playoff game.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

The fact that posters a debating who the Pats will keep or let go to bring in Peppers should answer and end this question, he costs too damn much!!!
    Let's keep Wilfork,Mankins, and Seymour and let some other team break the bank for Peppers.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from saigonsmuggler. Show saigonsmuggler's posts

I dont understand this choice. Peppers will not play on the line, as he had already stated. He wants to be OLB. So in NE, he and Seymour will not be in the same role.

Without Vrabel, we're missing one starting OLB. So the choice should be between Peppers and someone like Jason Taylor.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

[Quote]I dont understand this choice. Peppers will not play on the line, as he had already stated. He wants to be OLB. So in NE, he and Seymour will not be in the same role.

Without Vrabel, we're missing one starting OLB. So the choice should be between Peppers and someone like Jason Taylor.[/Quote]

Saigon: This is strictly a financial question. No doubt, Peppers and Seymour play different positions.

BB is in a situation where he needs to decide on whether to extend Wilfork, Mankins, and Seymour. If they want peppers, there is no way they can sign him along with the other three. One of them will have to be compromised in order to sign peppers. That means Peppers AND Seymour would play for one year together! OUCH!

I personally think they should sign Peppers and find another DE that can be effective enough to play a 34 defense. With all the teams that play the 34 defense now, we should be able to pick someone up in FA next year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from killridemaster. Show killridemaster's posts

[Quote]Peppers is not comong to the Pats. Never was. Why people believe half of what comes out of the mouths of sports 'reporters' is beyond me. About 10% know what they're talking about. The rest are full of crap.[/Quote]

I agree, man. The finances and the fact that they can get a very good and younger player with #34 makes more sense.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

[Quote]

This isn't just about comparing both players on a talent level, if the Pats pickup Peppers it will be a big part of their budget for players for years to come. I would rather have solid veterans and backups for depth then to put everything in to one superstar. Rosie and A.D. should have taught us fans that your playing with fire when you sign guys to such huge contracts, because all it takes is one injury and your left with castoffs starting late in Dec. The Pats need to just sign Jason Taylor and a few quality vets an keep their #34 pick, if they move up they can pickup another Mayo, that's the way it needs to get done for another trip to the big dance.[/Quote]

Grogan: I agree with what your saying on not putting all of your budget into one player but I'm guessing that Seymore and Peppers would have contract demands that would be similar. So, you would essentially picking one of the two plus likely signing the core interior players Wilfork and Mankins.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

[Quote]

Can't compare, Seymor DE and Peppers would come here to play OLB. If you are talking about Peppers as a DE in a 3 4 it wouldn't happen. He's not big enough for it, and also Seymore is key to that defense. Can't compare the two, they are two different type players but out of the two I rather have Seymore brings to the line.

[/Quote]
    PATS7393: I'm not comparing the two for the same position. I realize the difference between a DE/OLB in a 4-3 vs 3-4 defense. I'm comparing the two strictly on the financials. My point is, we can't sign Peppers AND Wilfork, Mankins, and Seymore - therefore one will have to be compromised in order to sign peppers.

In my opinion, Peppers is a rare player that has GAME CHANGING ability. Seymore is a wall on the defensive front which of course is very important. But if we can find another DE to take over for Seymore that perhaps isn't dominant but can hold up at the line of scrimmage and stop the run, wouldn't signing a freak like Peppers make sense with his game changing abilities on defense?

I think it's rediculous that people suggest that he may not be able to pick up being a OLB. The dude played basketball for UNC and is extremely atletic. Look what happened with Jason Taylor once he went from a traditional 4-3 DE to a 3-4 OLB. He became the defensive player of the year!

I'd like to have a some Peppers with my Mayo please!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Seymour. How many 310+ lb 3-4 ENDs get 8 sacks? One.

How many 275-85 4-3 Ends or OLBs get 14 sacks? Five or six.

Player of his unique ability are rare indeed, there isn't one Seymour in this year's draft, or last year's draft, or the year before that. And the rest of jumob 3-4 teams struggle along with guys like Canty and Olshansky, and NE fans don't even know how good they have it.

Whereas there is a 14 sack DE/OLB in at least every draft.

But they are both great, and I wouldn't mind having the two. Put them together on one side as a DE and OLB pair, and man alive. The offense would basically need to commit four guys just to keep them from getting back there, and you could forget about running the ball in the direction.

I would also say that landslide is a little much. It is much closer than that. Just like a player like Seymour can make an edge rusher better by drawing doubles. An edge rusher of Peppers caliber can lift a tackle or 3-4 end.

But yes, Seymour if I was choosing.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

You have a weird infatuation with the Patriots.....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

If given the choice Peppers or Seymour. I keep Seymour, but that's not really the choice. This is still just a rumor as far as I know. Now that Peppers has said he wants to play in NE (one of four places) pretty much every team will want him regardless of whether they play a 3-4 or not. Like I said earlier gamesmanship on the part of player and the agent......and maybe BB wants some team to overpay him in the process.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrDoItchBig. Show DrDoItchBig's posts

Seymour deffinitly. Peppers wouldn't be able to play DE in a 3-4. We can find someone in the draft to play OLB so I don't care if Peppers comes or not.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

For me what it comes down to is with the money we would give Peppers we could reup 3 other players and to me no one player is worth the salery of 3 other players. spread the wealth

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Delux i said we all have a man crush on Mayo I wasnt insulting you in anyway. I love the guy just as much as you i just dont think of him as a team leader quite yet thats all i meant.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

[Quote]"MVP: I hear you on the leadership thing but we have new leaders emerging like Mayo, Mankins, Light, Koppen, and of course we still have Brady and BB! Peppers is a freak. BB would utilize him just like he did with Lawrence Taylor. I can just imagine what he would do to opposing offenses!" - Delux

Delux, how can you say that Mayo is a team leader? Dont get me wrong we all have a big fat man crush on Mayo right now and rightfully so but he is still just a kid, a one year player with NO PLAYOFF experience what so ever. You cant put Mayo in the same league with Vrabel as far as leadership goes after one year of playing pro ball. And I have never once heard Light, Mankins, or Koppen reffered to in the same light as a Mike Vrabel or a Larry Izzo. I am not saying they are not leaders along the O line but they deffently dont command the same kind of leadership respect that a guy like Vrabel does. Brushci will retire next year and then Thomas will be our only super bowl LB left on the team and we lost the SB with Thomas so we will have no more 3 timers on the D and thats a big deal. Seymour is key in that locker room and so is Wilfork. We can draft all the Mayo's we want but they wont be leaders in that locker room for a while and we cant afford to start over at every spot just so we can get some super star OLB thats crazy. Three players for the price of one is not smart football. The Pats are about building a team not collecting talent and thats why we win championships while teh Cowboys cant even win a playoff game.[/Quote]

MVP: I remember these same concerns about "leadership" when they let go of Lawyer Miloy, Willie Mac, Ty Law, and even Bryan Cox! Bottom line is, new leaders emerge and step up to the plate.

Yes I have a "man crush" on Mayo and I do think he's VERY capable of being a leader on this team.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from STAUGGY. Show STAUGGY's posts

SEYMOUR BACKERS DO NOT HAVE TIVO. ???????????

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

It said Grogan posted so where the hell is his post damn it!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

[Quote]

MVP: I remember these same concerns about "leadership" when they let go of Lawyer Miloy, Willie Mac, Ty Law, and even Bryan Cox! Bottom line is, new leaders emerge and step up to the plate.

Yes I have a "man crush" on Mayo and I do think he's VERY capable of being a leader on this team.[/Quote]

Mayo is the future of this team, and a hell of building block to make a run at a few more superbowls. We as fans get attached to certain players, Seymor and Wilfork are great Patriots and hell of players but neither is the best in the NFL. The might be the best at a certain part of DE and DT but all around no. They can sure stop that run, would I like to see them both go offcourse no I think they are one of the top 5 DLs in football. Should we sacrifice the future of the team to sign them, no. Have we not learned that take one guy out and another one steps in. BB will draft guys who will learn for a year just in case. The draft will bring this D back to the top.