Peppers to Pats talks heating up?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Re: Peppers to Pats talks heating up?

faucetman, to get the deal done as you suggest, the Panthers are the ones who would have to sign him to a reduced contract/extension. otherwise, we have to clear the cap space equivalent to Peppers franchise tag. That would be around $12 million in cap we'd need to find. If we're looking at pure cuts, they'll have to lose Jarvis Green, Kevin Faulk, Stephen Neal, Ellis Hobbs, Tedy Bruschi, Nick Kaczur, Pierre Woods, Al Johnson, and Sam Aiken to get Peppers. Some playing with the cap could save a few players. Guaranteeing salary to Brady, Light, and Koppen might bring a couple of million in relief and save one or two of the key players.

The deal could perhaps have been done back when Jarvis Green or Kevin Faulk would have been the only loss of a player. Now, though, too many guys are under contract and too little cap space remains for the Pats to be able to make a deal that works.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Faucetman. Show Faucetman's posts

[QUOTE]faucetman, to get the deal done as you suggest, the Panthers are the ones who would have to sign him to a reduced contract/extension. otherwise, we have to clear the cap space equivalent to Peppers franchise tag. That would be around $12 million in cap we'd need to find. If we're looking at pure cuts, they'll have to lose Jarvis Green, Kevin Faulk, Stephen Neal, Ellis Hobbs, Tedy Bruschi, Nick Kaczur, Pierre Woods, Al Johnson, and Sam Aiken to get Peppers. Some playing with the cap could save a few players. Guaranteeing salary to Brady, Light, and Koppen might bring a couple of million in relief and save one or two of the key players. The deal could perhaps have been done back when Jarvis Green or Kevin Faulk would have been the only loss of a player. Now, though, too many guys are under contract and too little cap space remains for the Pats to be able to make a deal that works.
    Posted by KyleCleric2[/QUOTE]

I confess to not know whether or not the Pats would have to clear the $16.5MM first before a trade could be approved.  I thought Peppers could be restructured as part of the trade but assuming you're right, it could still be done.  $16.5MM is the number and we have $4.3MM now so we need to find $12.2MM.  Perhaps we throw Light in instead of Kaczur.  Here's how.

Included in the trade:
    Neal $2MM
    Green $2MM
    Light $3.8MM

This $7.8MM moves at the same time so $4.4MM more is needed.  Faulk and Bruschi both life-time Patriots in their final year of their contracts are brought into this.  Told they will be cut and re-signed at the same numbers after Peppers contract is redone.  Together they clear $4.4MM. 

Peppers is a direct replacement to Green plus fills our need at OLB when in 3-4 sets.  To replace Neal and Light we do this.

#23  LT William Beatty or Eben Britton
    #34  ILB James Laurinaitis
    #47  RG Eric Wood
    #58  Traded to Carolina for Peppers

You're right Kyle.  This is crazy.  If they have to clear the $16.5MM first this deal won't happen.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

That's why I said that if they were going to do it, they would have done it a while ago. Once they signed Springs, Bodden, Johnson, Galloway, Baker, Sanders, etc, it just isn't an option anymore. The cap flexibility is spent. They may be able to work with Brady, Light, and Koppen to free up a bit more space for Wilfork and/or Mankins and/or Seymour extension. That's much easier to negotiate. Peppers though requires the team at this point to pretty much be devastated and would likely both anger the team relative to the management and to Peppers.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hoier. Show Hoier's posts

Screw it, they don't heve the money.  They will get some quality defensive players in the draft, . I feel thaat is the way to go. Tgis way they enhance the current team without dismentaling it.  Getting Peppers they will have to part with current players and potential be unable to keep players likke Wolfolk next year.Is this really a gain?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

you have to wonder how much cap will be releived once the roster is cut down to 53 players?then the question is which players get released?a third of the pats draft picks will be traded.which ones remains to be seen.so if,and if peppers was traded.if his contract was re-done by the season opener.it wont be so bad.the redskins signed haynesworth,and the corner cant think of his name,but anyways there total contracts added up to 150-million.the redskins had 2.8 million in cap space at that time.how it all works is beyond me.but if 2.8 in cap space can buy 150-million dollars.in two contracts.surely 4.4 million in cap space can buy a 16 million contract until its re-done.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Moss Effect: The cap relief once the roster is trimmed will not help in any trade scenario for Peppers.They don't need Peppers any way,thye signed TBC and they have a reserve of semi retired linebackers on call,Seau,Colvin,and you can add McGinnest if he doesn't sign with anyone.I like Peppers and Taylor but I just don't see a match....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

[QUOTE]you have to wonder how much cap will be releived once the roster is cut down to 53 players?then the question is which players get released?a third of the pats draft picks will be traded.which ones remains to be seen.so if,and if peppers was traded.if his contract was re-done by the season opener.it wont be so bad.the redskins signed haynesworth,and the corner cant think of his name,but anyways there total contracts added up to 150-million.the redskins had 2.8 million in cap space at that time.how it all works is beyond me.but if 2.8 in cap space can buy 150-million dollars.in two contracts.surely 4.4 million in cap space can buy a 16 million contract until its re-done.
    Posted by mosseffect43[/QUOTE]

acquiring Peppers is a two step process as opposed to signing free agents which is a one step process. First we trade for Peppers and then we sign him to an extension. in each move there is a cap check. for the Redskins, they just needed to sign them. we need to actually create $12m in additional cap space. The Redskins did not have to do anything like that.

As for finding how much cap space we'd have for the roster. Make a 53 man roster of what we have using pats cap. estimate the rookie contracts. it shouldn't be too hard.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

[QUOTE]Moss Effect: The cap relief once the roster is trimmed will not help in any trade scenario for Peppers.They don't need Peppers any way,thye signed TBC and they have a reserve of semi retired linebackers on call,Seau,Colvin,and you can add McGinnest if he doesn't sign with anyone.I like Peppers and Taylor but I just don't see a match....
    Posted by sportsbozo1[/QUOTE]

yes they can live without peppers, tully will be a great fill in.Mcginest comeing here remains to be seen,and would probably have to win a spot on the roster.im not saying the trade for peppers will happen for the pats,but that its possible if they want him bad enough.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

To make things a bit easier, I came up with these draft pick cap estimates. To determine the cap hits if the player is released, subtract $0.310m base salary for the prorated bonus and find the signing bonus, whether 3 years or 4 years.

Around –
    #23: $1.270m
    #34: $0.910m
    #47: $0.730m
    #58: $0.559m
    #89: $0.475m
    #97: $0.460m
    #124: $0.415m
    #170: $0.333m
    #199: $0.324m
    #207: $0.323m
    #234: $0.316m

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

With the roster and draft I posted in the ideal draft thread, I came up with $3.6M in cap space. A little less than $123.4M in salary and little more than $2.5M in dead cap.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 347pg. Show 347pg's posts

Excellent article comparing the Jared Allen trade last year to the Peppers situation:

http://www.heraldonline.com/247/story/1262327.html

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsRfineIn09. Show PatsRfineIn09's posts

[QUOTE]The problem is you have to have the 16.5 Mil cap space to make the trade. You may restructure after the trade but you still need the space. After the Moss trade, they restructured but still needed the 10 Mil in cap space to make the trade. Peppers is not coming to Foxboro.
    Posted by tartarus12[/QUOTE]

Hey, you copied my avatarYell

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

[QUOTE]NFL Network's Total Access suggested yesterday that Peppers to the Pats could still be a possibility.  The Panthers are in cap he!! with the $16MM+ they have set aside for Peppers.  They can't do anything in free agencey with this holdout.  Carolina lost 4 OL during the off season, have no depth behind their starters on the DL and they only have 5 picks in the draft, the first of which is at 59. The Pats have 11 picks (4 that are higher than the Panther's first pick), 14 OL under contract (will carry only 9-10) and are the only team where Peppers said he'd go in the AFC.  I would not be surprised to see a draft day trade of Peppers to the Pats at 23 or 34 IF Robert Ayers is on the board.   To pay for Peppers the Pats could include in the trade one of more of these players, Stephen Neal (he would start at RG for CAR), Nick Kaczur (top back up at RG), Jarvis Green (would start in the spot vacated by Peppers) or some other back-up like Yates or Britt.  Trading the top three players I mentioned clears $5.8MM of cap to go along with the $4.3MM we have in cap space now which could pay for Peppers.  The Panthers could take over these contracts and free up $10MM of their cap gaining 2 starters, a top back-up and a higher pick than they now have. 
    Posted by Faucetman[/QUOTE]

With Brady coming off of a major knee injury I can't see BB shaking up the O line to get him. We simply cannot afford him. Besides BB loves those 2nd and 3rd round cap freindly picks and it will take a lot to get him to part with them.