PEPPERS

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brad34. Show Brad34's posts

PEPPERS

There was a lot of rumours around NE interest in Peppers the previous offseason before he signed for big money with the Bears. Did NE make a big mistake not paying to bring him in?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Re: PEPPERS

I was in favor of it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from patthepatriot666. Show patthepatriot666's posts

what about jonathan joseph or dashon goldson- how are they doing this year- we couldve had those guys

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

Would he have helped? Of course, he's a great player but I wouldn't say they made a big mistake not shelling out 90 million bucks for one guy

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I wanted him, but then again I was glad they got Haynesworth. The truth is I'm just stunned at the lack of effort made to boost that front seven. This year was the year I thought...we'll see 2 defensive linemen taken in the first 3 rounds.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Moss07. Show Brady2Moss07's posts

Yes it was a mistake

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In Response to PEPPERS:
    [QUOTE]There was a lot of rumours around NE interest in Peppers the previous offseason before he signed for big money with the Bears. Did NE make a big mistake not paying to bring him in?
    Posted by Brad34[/QUOTE]
    Who knows.. unfortunately 20/20 hindsight is too late.  Besides, the most common reason for not getting Peppers is $$$$.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I'd pay 90 mill to see Peppers chase Sanchez around, he would've been worth it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Sure, but...

I think a bigger mistake though was letting Richard Seymour go!  They should have kept him.  I know things would have been different the past couple years - esp if they kept one of the 'core' players here and Seymour was one of them.  Plus Seymour wouldn't have been J. Peppers money either....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I didn't want Peppers purely because of money.

Truthfully they might have made him an offer but we have no clue how far they were off in terms of years and salary. As far as we know it's was 2-4 years 4mil/year difference.

The ones that really kill me are Roth and Goldson this year. We made them offers but it wasn't good enough. Considering they both signed 1 year deals at minimal cost how far off were we in reality? Would 2 years instead of 1 done it or an extra 1 million this year? How much would those guys helped with Roth across from Carter and Goldson replacing Brown. The worst part is that we had the extra money to sign them too and cheaped out in the end.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In Response to Re: PEPPERS:
    [QUOTE]I didn't want Peppers purely because of money. Truthfully they might have made him an offer but we have no clue how far they were off in terms of years and salary. As far as we know it's was 2-4 years 4mil/year difference. The ones that really kill me are Roth and Goldson this year. We made them offers but it wasn't good enough. Considering they both signed 1 year deals at minimal cost how far off were we in reality? Would 2 years instead of 1 done it or an extra 1 million this year? How much would those guys helped with Roth across from Carter and Goldson replacing Brown. The worst part is that we had the extra money to sign them too and cheaped out in the end.
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

You are exactly correct. Those 2 guys would have made a big difference on this defense and they were both ours for the taking. It kind of reminds me a bit of the Gaffney deal, although Gaffney was on the team at the time, they let him walk for $500k. In the end, we were left with Reche Caldwell in the AFCGG and we all know how that panned out.

I think Peppers was aksing way too much. I don't think we could have signed him plus keep the rest of the core in place. In terms of Seymour, his play + what he wanted indicated we had to move him. I think it came down to us either paying Vince or Seymour, and Vince was the wiser move for lots of reasons.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I don't understand the mentality here.  You can do this with any player that is playing well.  I admit in the past I have traveled the road of reinventing the team in my mind, but it NEVER helps, and takes away from my enjoyment.  Really, the team this year is what it is.  It will win what it wins, go as far as it will, and I'm just going to watch, try to enjoy, and hope they go all the way.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

doesn't make a difference at this point, the ship sailed a while back

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

It's just not wise to pay that kind of money on a player that you really don't know how well they will do in your system. 

A lot of good players fail to play well in NE for various reasons so shelling out too much money isn't wise.

NE likes guys like Peppers though and I'm sure they put in a decent offer for him. 

Overall the Pats would be better off shelling out money to proven players on their own team to prevent them from leaving IMO. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]I don't understand the mentality here.  You can do this with any player that is playing well.  I admit in the past I have traveled the road of reinventing the team in my mind, but it NEVER helps, and takes away from my enjoyment.  Really, the team this year is what it is.  It will win what it wins, go as far as it will, and I'm just going to watch, try to enjoy, and hope they go all the way.  
    Posted by Davedsone[/QUOTE]

If it was a player they were far off on the contracts or they didn't even make an effort to sign then I agree completely.

But, with Goldson and Roth they obviously wanted them and they couldn't have been that far off on the contract desires so it's a different case. As Lifer pointed out it's the difference between Cadwell vs Gafney which imo would have made a difference in the AFCCG.

Like I said if we're talking big contracts that's one thing but when we talk about players that were signed for a bare minimum cost and we made them an offer that could only have been slightly less then it's worth discussing. Esp considering the amount of no risk options we bring in every year that never work out, so why not those 2 that had talent and were productive before this year.

Don't forget if you don't learn from past mistakes you are bound to repeat them (Branch not offering him a little more for the extension, Gafney not offering that extra 500K, Roth, Goldson, Boldin having the deal done but not willing to give him a little more in an extension. It all adds ups)

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Moss07. Show Brady2Moss07's posts

I think the issue was having the money to pay wilfork at the time

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from maine12. Show maine12's posts

The Pats could have a chance to make up for loosing out in the Pepprers deal. They could try and get a guy who I think is even better. Mario Williams, and he could come for less money then Peppers because he went on the IR this season. He can play DE or the OLB in a 3-4. Interesting situation here because the Pats have to re-sign Welker and need to address safety or the pass rush in the off season. I doubt they go after Williams but then again we will be in this same situation next year wondering where were going to generate a pass rush.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

our defense and offense are both too sophisticated for mere mortals like Peppers to succeed in. bb is still waiting for the human species to evolve, and expects that to happen well within brady's prime.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bradythebest. Show Bradythebest's posts

I don't think they risk signing Peppers for that huge amount after Adalius Thomas experiment. Mario Williams will be awesome if he is healthy

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188. Show Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to PEPPERS : Who knows.. unfortunately 20/20 hindsight is too late.  Besides, the most common reason for not getting Peppers is $$$$.
    Posted by agcsbill[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure if the Patriots would have utilized him correctly anyways

He'd have been Adalius Thomas 2.0 in our system, then blamed for "not falling in line" when he's poorly deployed

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: PEPPERS : I'm not sure if the Patriots would have utilized him correctly anyways He'd have been Adalius Thomas 2.0 in our system, then blamed for "not falling in line" when he's poorly deployed
    Posted by Artist-Frmrly-Knwn-As-NickC1188[/QUOTE]

If Thomas was so good and the Pats were just misusing him why wasn't he picked up after he was let go.  The guy was 30 when he signed with NE and clearly lost a step after his first season in NE.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

After Peppers played out his final year at Carolina, the Pats never really had a shot at him.

Remember, Carolina franchised him prior to the 2009 season and there were rumors flying around about the Pats trading for him. BB was even asked about it at a press conference, and in a fit of unusual candor he said, "the best thing he can do right now is sign his tender offer from Carolina." That was BB's "wink-wink" to Peppers saying that if he signed the offer, the Pats would try to get him in a trade.

But he didn't sign the tender until much later in the process (if I'm not mistaken he actually signed it AFTER the regular season began), and by then the Pats had already moved on to other roster/salary cap moves for that season.

By the time Peppers became a FA in 2010, the Pats had re-signing Brady and Wilfork on their plate, and there was no way the cap money was going to be there for Peppers, too, after those deals were done.

Too bad....if Peppers had signed the tender offer earlier, the Pats could very well have worked out a deal for him with Carolina and made the numbers work cap-wise.

Sections
Shortcuts