Percy Harvin and the Patriots

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Percy Harvin and the Patriots

According to 1500 ESPN Twin Cities, the Vikings' intention was never for Percy Harvin to play out the fifth and final year of his rookie contract without an extension.

The Vikings habitually address expiring contracts a year early for top players. Judd Zulgad of 1500 ESPN Twin Cities believes Harvin has played his last game in Minnesota after adopting Randy Moss' world view over the past couple of years. Zulgad fully expects the Patriots to go after Harvin if he hits the trade market. Bill Belichick "loves Percy," adds Zulgad.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

Re: Percy Harvin and the Patriots

Dude has fallen off big time ever since those migraines but when healthy and motivated he could be a nice option for Tommy and someone who could soften the blow of losing Wes. I hope there is some truth to this but I also dont know how much to expect from him. Maybe he just needs a fresh start.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Would be interesting. Guy is a stud, so it might take a 1st/2nd round pick.

Would definitely take care of the kick/punt return needs.

Also, this guy is an absolute matchup nightmare like Hern and Gronk. He lines up in the slot, out wide, and in the backfield.

That being said, I believe he played the Z for about half a season or so and found that he was much less effective there as opposed to the slot.

So it could be Harvin or Welker if the Pats due indeed have interest. In my opinion, Welker would be the better bet. You wouldn't have to give up draft pick(s), Welker will most likely come at a contract with less guaranteed, and we at least know Welker can play in this system.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:

According to 1500 ESPN Twin Cities, the Vikings' intention was never for Percy Harvin to play out the fifth and final year of his rookie contract without an extension.

The Vikings habitually address expiring contracts a year early for top players. Judd Zulgad of 1500 ESPN Twin Cities believes Harvin has played his last game in Minnesota after adopting Randy Moss' world view over the past couple of years. Zulgad fully expects the Patriots to go after Harvin if he hits the trade market. Bill Belichick "loves Percy," adds Zulgad.  

Harvin for Welker? The Vikings would be dumb to make that trade, but if they're dumb enough to let Harvin walk they're dumb enough to do anything. 

Plus, Harvin and Hernandez made Tim Tebow at Florida, can you imagine what they would do with Brady? Look what Peyton did with Decker and Thomas in Denver. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

Dude has fallen off big time ever since those migraines but when healthy and motivated he could be a nice option for Tommy and someone who could soften the blow of losing Wes. I hope there is some truth to this but I also dont know how much to expect from him. Maybe he just needs a fresh start.

I disagree a bit, he had nearly 700 yards this season in 9 games. He was on 1,000 yard pace and was still doing well with kickoffs. He missed the season because of a sprained ankle. Still think he's dynamic as ever, and probably has 1300 yard potential with a better QB.

That being said, Minn is so thin a WR and they are really leaving their "franchise" QB without weapons if they trade him

I don't know how respected Zulgad is, but I have trouble seeing them ship him off without a nice return. But then again, the Dolphins traded away their best WR and left their "franchise" QB with almost no one to throw to

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

In response to dapats1281's comment:

Harvin for Welker? The Vikings would be dumb to make that trade, but if they're dumb enough to let Harvin walk they're dumb enough to do anything. 

Plus, Harvin and Hernandez made Tim Tebow at Florida, can you imagine what they would do with Brady? Look what Peyton did with Decker and Thomas in Denver. 

I said Harvin or Welker. In other words, Pats would have to make a decision to trade for Harvin or resign Welker.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

BTW, I'm suggesting a straight up trade for Harvin with Welker. The Pats can't afford to keep Welker next season if they franchise him. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Fallen off? He was among the leaders in receptions and rec yards when he got hurt.  

That said, I don't see how the Pats trade for him unless the Vikings are willing to take 2014 picks or the Pats are willing to basically forego this year's draft. They have very few picks left. Or they take a player or two, but those trades are rare.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

Fallen off? He was among the leaders in receptions and rec yards when he got hurt.  

That said, I don't see how the Pats trade for him unless the Vikings are willing to take 2014 picks or the Pats are willing to basically forego this year's draft. They have very few picks left. Or they take a player or two, but those trades are rare.

Im sorry, I dont mean this year. I mean he had a buzz a couple years ago and was always on sportscenter and I havent heard much from him. Maybe because the Qb play there but he was very explosive and may still be but I just never see him when I watch MInny Games....idk

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

aside from agreeing to a deal with the Vikes, the Pats would also have to pay the man. I assume he is looking for Vincent JAckson type money. Do the Pats pay that to a WR that hasnt proven he can stay on the field? I do not think they do.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

aside from agreeing to a deal with the Vikes, the Pats would also have to pay the man. I assume he is looking for Vincent JAckson type money. Do the Pats pay that to a WR that hasnt proven he can stay on the field? I do not think they do.

I agree. They're better off just ponying up for Welker and keeping their picks.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

don't need him the Pats have Demps on IR

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

Pats have bigger needs at Safety, DE, and DT. That's why I would rather the Pats hold onto at least their 1st round pick

Welker would be my first choice.

I'm not too high on Jennings, he's been too injury prone and will be 30 september next season. Probably playing for his last big contract, so I expect him to seek at least 4 years.

Also, I feel like the Pats use Hernandez in a lot of the same ways that Vikings use Harvin (slot and HB)...Obviously Harvin is much faster, but the Pats dont need him that badly

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Harvin is a good player but he's not a great player. Depending on what they want of course I'd rather have Harvin over Edelman to replace Welker but Harvin also has an attitude that won't cut it on the Pats. That is one of the reasons Minn would be willing to let him go and that type of me first ego just won't mesh here. Frankly for what they'd have to give up in a trade and then pay him on top of that it might be worth it just to go after Amendola and see what Demps can bring.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

I like Harvin more than Welker, Harvin reminds me of Victor Cruz in that he stretches the field. We can't say the same for Wes, plus, 25 > 33. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

I like Harvin more than Welker, Harvin reminds me of Victor Cruz in that he stretches the field. We can't say the same for Wes, plus, 25 > 33. 

Well, different roles.  But anyway, it's less about upside and more about the price. Plus, who knows how Harvin fits in, always a guess with receivers and this offense it seems.  We know how Welker fits in.

Demps may well fill the field stretcher role, and they can also use a pick on somebody with some giddyup.  And maybe Edelman can stay healthy, he brings a lot of what Harvin does (including, unfortunately similar availability issues).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rbetourne. Show rbetourne's posts

Harvin has break away speed--very explosive.  He did have an attitude this year because he thought AP was not going to play and the Vikes really didn't do too much to improve.  He has had prima donna deals before--in high school the other teams knew how to get under his skin and he would "Melo-out" and get tossed from games.  He was a good soldier at Florida though.  I am not sure I would throw the towel in on Welker though.  He should be a priority. And we do have Demps waiting in the wings to help on returns.  That being said, I would prefer him over Edelman in a heart beat.  And maybe w/Spikes and Hernandez on the team it would help him.  I would give up a second rounder for him.    Imagine   him, welker, Hernandez, Gronk and Lloyd----wow, that would be an unstoppable machine.   

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

I guess my thinking is they already have about the best offense in football, and if you're going to be spending valuable resources to improve the team, the bigger bang for the buck is on the other side. Harvin is better than Edelman, sure, but I don't know if he's so much better that I'd want to give a second rounder (and give him a large contract) when there are bigger issues that need to be addressed.  And if you pay Harvin, what does that mean for Welker? Can't pay them all.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

Well, different roles.  But anyway, it's less about upside and more about the price. Plus, who knows how Harvin fits in, always a guess with receivers and this offense it seems.  We know how Welker fits in.

Demps may well fill the field stretcher role, and they can also use a pick on somebody with some giddyup.  And maybe Edelman can stay healthy, he brings a lot of what Harvin does (including, unfortunately similar availability issues).

Isnt Demps a RB and has he even played a down of NFL football?? I think its a bit premature based on a couple preseason games( that I didnt  notice much) that he can A.) convert to WR and B.) be a deep threat.

I think he is capable of playing the slot, but deep threats line up outside and I doubt he can do that with his build. Lets just let the guy come into camp next year and see what he can do. I wouldnt be penciling him in anywhere in the offense at this point. Just be happy that he may be able to upgrade our Kickoff returns. Way too many people overhyping this guy based on what? Speed??  It takes more than that.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

He would've probably been a top 3 WR in football if he stayed healthy this year...

Bill would need a change of pants every Sunday because of all the versatility Harvin possesses...

Would be a phenomenal addition...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Harvin has not fallen off. He is one of the most explosive players in the league. He is a real game breaker... A real deep threat. He even has good ability to run the ball some. ANd is a very veyr good KO returner.

Man, if they could get him without breaking the bank I would say YES big time.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

Harvin has not fallen off. He is one of the most explosive players in the league. He is a real game breaker... A real deep threat. He even has good ability to run the ball some. ANd is a very veyr good KO returner.

Man, if they could get him without breaking the bank I would say YES big time.

Nope, just checked his numbers and he hasnt fell off just has less explosive plays than previous years but the main thing is every game ive watched this year I didnt see him so thats my main concern is health but he does play hurt, I'll give him that.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

no thanks.  There are better players who will play the full schedule

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to msteven's comment:

no thanks.  There are better players who will play the full schedule

I agree he is not the most durable. But almost no one plays the full schedule anymore. Everyone gets hurt. If he were on this team he would not be out there as often as he is in Minnesota or with other teams because we use different packages that would not call for him all the time.

Here he might catch 50-70 passes with less time on the field. I think it is a great fit but I get your point. It is still valid. I am more concerned about the cost. I expect someone will pay a higher price. And if he is not going to be on the field often enough due to packages or injuries then it might be easy to over pay.

So not a wild disagreement but maybe a small one.

Sections
Shortcuts