Percy Harvin...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Re: Percy Harvin...

In response to dapats1281's comment:

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

In response to dreighver's comment:

And if anybody asked me who I'd rather between Cruz and Welker, I'd take Cruz 100 times over. 

Cruz has a Superbowl Ring, Welker is 0-2.

Absolute nonsense... Silly, silly argument. Correlation does not mean causation. 

But I'd tend to agree... I think I'd take Cruz over Welker, and I'd definitely take Harvin over Welker. 

I dunno, BB was very much afraid of Victor Cruz in the SB. I've never heard a coach yell "We've got to stop Welker" before, heck, DCs don't even respect him. Wade Philips echoed what I'm sure NFL DCs think of him. 

You can say Cruz is better than Welker, but Welker has been the focal point of the Patriots offense since 2007. For the better part of those 6 seasons, Welker was the main priority for defenses to stop. Stop Welker and you disrupt Brady's rhythm. Gronk has come along in the last two years, but I think it's a bit foolish to say DC's don't respect Welker.

I think that's the problem with our offense, a 5'9 WR with limited speed is the guy our offense is designed around. That's why defenses just stuff the box and man cover us, what's Welker going to do? Go deep? He'll do that once a game, but he won't beat you with it. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

The thing I don't get about this speculation that we may go after Percy is that he is a locker room cancer. He has blown up on both his head coaches in the NFL and had something similar happen in college.  Writers in Minnesota feel as if he was not put on injured reserve this year for his ankle injury, but rather to get him away from the team...I imagine they did this to not create a distraction or ruin his trade value. Keep in mind that Percy wants a new contract and any team that acquires him will have to pay him - it is believed he wants 10 million per season. This is also a guy that has been hurt a lot.

Belichick does love him as a player though, according to what I've read, still I'd be a little surprised if we get him. I wouldn't give more than a third rounder for him, he sounds like a headache.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

The thing I don't get about this speculation that we may go after Percy is that he is a locker room cancer. He has blown up on both his head coaches in the NFL and had something similar happen in college.  Writers in Minnesota feel as if he was not put on injured reserve this year for his ankle injury, but rather to get him away from the team...I imagine they did this to not create a distraction or ruin his trade value. Keep in mind that Percy wants a new contract and any team that acquires him will have to pay him - it is believed he wants 10 million per season. This is also a guy that has been hurt a lot.

Belichick does love him as a player though, according to what I've read, still I'd be a little surprised if we get him. I wouldn't give more than a third rounder for him, he sounds like a headache.

So Percy wouldn`t be a great fit in New England?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to PATSchampsSB's comment:

In response to mthurl's comment:

So Percy wouldn`t be a great fit in New England?

Well I guess you have a point, I mean no one is going to blow up on Belichcick...it's not like he's Ryan or any of the other 50 head coaches that have been hired and then fired in the AFC east. So you might have a point.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Per rotoworld...

Toward the end of the 2012 season, one NFL personnel man estimated that Percy Harvin will probably fetch a second- or third-round pick on the trade market.

Harvin is theoretically every bit worth a first-rounder -- perhaps even a top-ten pick -- but the facts that he's entering a contract year, and comes with character and injury red flags will inevitably impact his trade value. We suspect GM Rick Spielman would happily accept a second- and fourth-round pick as compensation, but the bidding could grow fierce for such a dynamic talent. NFL trades can be executed beginning March 12, the first day of free agency.   Source: ESPN 1500 Twin Cities Feb 10 - 5:13 PM    

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

2013 Patriots Draft Picks

This is the list of the Patriots draft picks going into the 2013 NFL Draft:

Updated: January 21, 2013

1st Round (#29 Overall)
    2nd Round (#59 Overall)
    3rd Round (#91 Overall)
    7th Round (Bucs – Aqib Talib)
    7th Round

Picks traded away:

4th Round – (Bucs – Aqib Talib)
    5th Round – (Redskins – Albert Haynesworth)
    6th Round – (Bengals – Chad Ochocinco)

So if the Patriots give up a 2nd or 3rd round pick for Harvin that leaves a 1st, 2nd or 3rd and two 7th round draft picks.  Not great!

Harvin played 9 games last season, a full season the previous year, 14 games in 2010 and 15 in 2009.  Averages 70 catches a season and never broke 1,000 yards a season.  a 5'11 receiver.  If not going to resign Welker then he might be a good Welker replacement, better then Edelman or Amendola, imo,  but I still don't like the risk involved.  I don't see him as a mid to deep threat that I feel the Pats need so the only spot I see him playing is Welkers and for a run at the title now I still say you keep Welker and look for a mid to deep threat.  I don't like the risk involved. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

Yeah only 4 draft picks isn`t good

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Could happen

Trade suitors for Percy Harvin Patriots among teams that should pursue Vikings' dynamic receiver Originally Published: February 11, 2013 By Sam Monson | ESPN Insider

History can have a funny way of repeating itself. Back in the 2005 offseason, the Vikings finally had enough of superstar receiver Randy Moss and shipped him to Oakland in a trade that ultimately benefited neither side. This offseason, it seems that Minnesota might be heading in the same direction with Percy Harvin, as rumors have surfaced that the Vikings may try to trade their Swiss army knife on offense.

Harvin might be the most explosive player in football with the ball in his hands. He missed the last seven weeks of the season because of injury, but the incredible finish to the season from Adrian Peterson has left many forgetting already that it was Harvin, not Peterson, who was garnering talk of MVP over the first half of the season. At that time, everything that Minnesota did on offense flowed through the versatile receiver.

Despite missing the final seven games of the season, Harvin led the league in missed tackles forced by a non-running back with 22. That is five more than the next-best receiver, Brandon Marshall, who had 56 additional receptions on which to make people miss. That statistic also doesn't count the five additional misses Harvin forced when running the football lined up in the backfield or the damage he did as a return man.

As a return man, Harvin was a devastating weapon, scoring a touchdown and averaging more than 35 yards each time he ran it back. As a receiver, only Philadelphia's Jason Avant, who didn't drop a ball all season, had a better drop rate. In 81 targets through nine games, Harvin dropped just one pass, or 1.59 percent of the catchable balls thrown his way. Compared to other high-volume underneath targets like Wes Welker (11.28 percent), Davone Bess (11.59 percent), Dexter McCluster (11.86 percent) or Victor Cruz (12.24 percent), Harvin was a far more reliable target.

But just like Moss all those years ago, Harvin comes with baggage, and you have to buy into more than just his obvious talent and playmaking ability. Tensions between him and the Vikings have brewed for a while, and with his contract expiring after the 2013 season, a trade market may be emerging.

Even if Harvin brings more than just mercurial talent, a queue of teams should try to make a trade, so let's look at a few of the likeliest suitors:

New England Patriots

To see the top potential suitors for Percy Harvin, plus to gain access to all of Insider's NFL content, become an ESPN Insider today.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ultpatfan. Show ultpatfan's posts

And if anybody asked me who I'd rather between Cruz and Welker, I'd take Cruz 100 times over. 

True...Cruz is a playmaker...welker isn`t a playmaker...

Not that Welker isn't a playmaker, it's just the fact that Harvin is Welker...but with speed and that takes a safety out of the box and gives Ridley more room to run. Welker is too darn slow, too short and, since he was known for reliable hands, now he's not even a sure bet to make a catch anymore. 

Love to have all three, Cruz, Harvin and Welker (plus Groink and Hern)?  Wow!  That would be undefendable, no?!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

In response to ultpatfan's comment:

True...Cruz is a playmaker...welker isn`t a playmaker...

Not that Welker isn't a playmaker, it's just the fact that Harvin is Welker...but with speed and that takes a safety out of the box and gives Ridley more room to run. Welker is too darn slow, too short and, since he was known for reliable hands, now he's not even a sure bet to make a catch anymore. 

Love to have all three, Cruz, Harvin and Welker (plus Groink and Hern)?  Wow!  That would be undefendable, no?!

unaffordable too

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Oh yeah we really want this guy:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/11/harvin-is-expected-to-hold-out-under-current-deal/

LOL NO!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

If they decide to let Welker go, then Harvin is a great weapon to persue. Maybe go after him and Mike Wallace. Both have the speed that the Pats have been lacking. And at this point, the TE's open up the field, but aren't downfield guys. If you have everyone (Welker, Lloyd, Gronk and Hernandez) going on short routes, it definitely makes for a lot of confusion, but it also clogs up the passing lanes with that many defenders. One of the things the Pats were great at in the golden years was spacing the field and Brady finding the best target.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

Harvin could replace Welker in the slot and bring even more talent to the team, but injury historic, off field issues,... it`s a high risk high rewaard bet

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

We had the 23th draft pick in the draft, when the Vikings took Harvin we trade down out of the first round, this means something... BB now has the chance to take the guy he really wanted.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Just a thought on this guy...he's got some baggage and he wants to get paid, but this is a very talented and productive player we are talking about here. And he's young. I have to think that if he had a real quarterback throwing to him he could be something pretty darn special. Harvin was largely considered to be the Viking's mvp player this year (not Peterson) up until his injury. In an earlier post I said I wouldn't give more than a third for him, I've changed my mind...this is not your typical 60 catch a year slow slot guy.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

he is fast... 4.41 seconds to run the 40 yard dash, this guy could replace welker and add even more to this offense, he can play in the slot or outside, very versatile...BB loves this guy, hope he comes to the Pats

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Has anyone stopped to consider why Harvin was shelved for the season with a relatively minor injury . . .  or to wonder how an actual NFL coach (as opposed to Leslie Frazier) might react to a player who likes to get in his face whenever he isn't seeing exactly what he wants on the field.

Oh . . . just say "hey" and by the way, it may be true that Harvin doesn't miss a lot of games because of his "migraines," but he sure does miss a lot of practice.

Just sayin'.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to ClarkGriswold's comment:

In response to TFB12's comment:

Aren't you one of the people who always brings up Welkers drops?  Welker dropped 7.6 of his passes this past season, Cruz droped 11.6% of his passes this past season. 

Cruz intimedates DBs and coaches, Welker does not. Welker also runs "hand-off" routes, it's near impossible for Brady to not get the ball in his hands. 

Welker does not? Are you insane? Look, I don't think they should play into the market that Welker will demand, but teams don't gameplan around Victor Cruz because he had 1 good year.

Cruz did jack squat in last year's SB, too. At least Welker produced. 

Welker absolutely commands teams gameplanning around him and as for years. It's he and Gronk who provide that. Anyone saying otherwise has been asleep the last 5-6 years.

Part of the problem with Welker and Brady's relationship is that Welker is always Brady's 1st read. Someone like Cruz is not in their offense for Eli Manning.

cruz had a td in the sb

and it's not what he did so much as the threat of what he can do that makes him a problem and it opened the field for nicks and manningham and eli in general in sb46

after all there was a reason bellichick himself said "don't let cruz beat us" before that last drive

22. This post has been removed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

According to ESPN 1500 Twin Cities, the "word circulating in league circles" is that Percy Harvin wants at least an annual $10 million in his new contract, with the "real goal" perhaps being $12 million or more.

$12 million annually would make Harvin the league's highest paid receiver not named Calvin Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald. Beat writer Tom Pelissero confirms Harvin's suspected contract demands are a "bigger issue" in trade talks than the draft picks it would take to acquire him. An AFC personnel executive "guesses" the Vikings could get a second- or third-round pick, along with another selection to "sweeten the pot." For his part, Pelissero thinks the situation could still go either way, ending in "reconciliation" with the Vikings or a one-way ticket out of town. Pelissero believes Harvin's unique skill-set, checkered medical history and "well-documented pattern of insubordination" will conspire to limit his market.

You don't pay this type of money just for a good player. You pay it for a good player who is also a club house leader. This guy has had off field issues dating all the way back to high school. Clearly he hasn't changed. You only trade for Harvin if you're going to sign him long term. Risky investment...especially considering we don't know how he'll act after getting paid.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:

According to ESPN 1500 Twin Cities, the "word circulating in league circles" is that Percy Harvin wants at least an annual $10 million in his new contract, with the "real goal" perhaps being $12 million or more.

$12 million annually would make Harvin the league's highest paid receiver not named Calvin Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald. Beat writer Tom Pelissero confirms Harvin's suspected contract demands are a "bigger issue" in trade talks than the draft picks it would take to acquire him. An AFC personnel executive "guesses" the Vikings could get a second- or third-round pick, along with another selection to "sweeten the pot." For his part, Pelissero thinks the situation could still go either way, ending in "reconciliation" with the Vikings or a one-way ticket out of town. Pelissero believes Harvin's unique skill-set, checkered medical history and "well-documented pattern of insubordination" will conspire to limit his market.

You don't pay this type of money just for a good player. You pay it for a good player who is also a club house leader. This guy has had off field issues dating all the way back to high school. Clearly he hasn't changed. You only trade for Harvin if you're going to sign him long term. Risky investment...especially considering we don't know how he'll act after getting paid.

no way

25. This post has been removed.