Perspective of a 50-year Pats Fan

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Perspective of a 50-year Pats Fan

Allow me to begin by saying that simply because I've been a fan for 50 years doesn't necessarily mean I know more about the game.  We all know this forum is loaded with highly knowledgeable and articulate Pats fans who make their points with clarity and precision.  I say that because I very much do not want to come across as 'preachy'.  That said I would offer that those of us fortunate enough to be Pats fans are witnessing something extraordinary and there be those among us who do not truly appreciate what we have here.  And what we have is the following:

A world class owner.  Robert Kraft is without question among the most foresighted, capable and wise franchise owners not merely in the NFL but throughout professional sports.  He has developed a fine balance between responsible ownership with an appreciation for his responsibilities and rendering unto Caesar (or Belichick) that which belongs there.  He lets his football people  do their jobs.

A magnificent coach/general manager.  Is Belichick perfect?  He11 no.  Is he the best coach and general manager I've ever seen?  Bar none.  I offer what he did when Brady went down in 2008.  Matt Cassell?  Matt Cassell? He who hadn't started a football game since high school for crying out loud and the team goes 11-5 and misses making the playoffs only because of the luck of the draw.  He then turns his attention to remaking an aging defense.  Conducts a complete overhaul, has the youngest D in the league and the team is 10-2 with an inside track for not only makling the playoffs but having home field advantage throughout.  (And, yes, you're right; I shouldn't be getting ahead of myself.)  But I ask you, do the Patriots rebuild or do they simply reload?  I would suggest the latter.

A once in a generation quarterback. Again is he perfect? No. But look at the guy's body of work will you please.  Look at this performance against the league's top teams, not merely this year but historically.  Look at this performance in the playoffs.  Look at his game management, his precision passing, his cool head, his eye on the prize approach (f**k the stats, win the game), his leadership, his enthusiasm.  Not only have the Pats never had anyone like him, I'm not entirely sure the game has had anyone like him, ever.

I post this thread because, from my perspective, these are wonderful days to be a Pats fan, and, trust me those of you younger than I (most of the known universe), 'twasn't always thus.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from calvinator. Show calvinator's posts

Re: Perspective of a 50-year Pats Fan

In Response to Perspective of a 50-year Pats Fan:
    Allow me to begin by saying that simply because I've been a fan for 50 years doesn't necessarily mean I know more about the game.  We all know this forum is loaded with highly knowledgeable and articulate Pats fans who make their points with clarity and precision.  I say that because I very much do not want to come across as 'preachy'.  That said I would offer that those of us fortunate enough to be Pats fans are witnessing something extraordinary and there be those among us who do not truly appreciate what we have here.  And what we have is the following: A world class owner.  Robert Kraft is without question among the most foresighted, capable and wise franchise owners not merely in the NFL but throughout professional sports.  He has developed a fine balance between responsible ownership with an appreciation for his responsibilities and rendering unto Caesar (or Belichick) that which belongs there.  He lets his football people  do their jobs. A magnificent coach/general manager.  Is Belichick perfect?  He11 no.  Is he the best coach and general manager I've ever seen?  Bar none.  I offer what he did when Brady went down in 2008.  Matt Cassell?  Matt Cassell? He who hadn't started a football game since high school for crying out loud and the team goes 11-5 and misses making the playoffs only because of the luck of the draw.  He then turns his attention to remaking an aging defense.  Conducts a complete overhaul, has the youngest D in the league and the team is 10-2 with an inside track for not only makling the playoffs but having home field advantage throughout.  (And, yes, you're right; I shouldn't be getting ahead of myself.)  But I ask you, do the Patriots rebuild or do they simply reload?  I would suggest the latter. A once in a generation quarterback. Again is he perfect? No. But look at the guy's body of work will you please.  Look at this performance against the league's top teams, not merely this year but historically.  Look at this performance in the playoffs.  Look at his game management, his precision passing, his cool head, his eye on the prize approach (f**k the stats, win the game), his leadership, his enthusiasm.  Not only have the Pats never had anyone like him, I'm not entirely sure the game has had anyone like him, ever. I post this thread because, from my perspective, these are wonderful days to be a Pats fan, and, trust me those of you younger than I (most of the known universe), 'twasn't always thus.
    Posted by ATJ

As a Pat's fan for 40 years the best way to describe your post is right on the button. I was with the Patriots for some pretty lean years but was ALWAYS WITH THEM and as you said this is special!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsNut5480. Show PatsNut5480's posts

Great post ATJ.  I'm 31 and saw my first pats game when they played the Bears in the 86 superbowl.  I like every other die hard fan suffered through the Rod Rust/Dick MacPherson era.  The last 10 years have been really enjoyable and fun to watch.  I hope everyone appreciates what they have done and realize how lucky we are to have Kraft, Belichick and Brady. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BelichickDisciple. Show BelichickDisciple's posts

Well said, brother - I am 50 too, and remember some horrible, lean years as a fan. Remember 1 - 15? Rod Rust? Lisa what's her name? The drug scandals? The dump that used to be Foxboro stadium?

This is a period of sustained excellence that may never be equalled. Sure, Pittsburgh and the Colts have been in the mix for these past 10 years, but nothing compares to the wonderful ride that we have been able to enjoy. I hope it keeps going through this coming February!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lippa. Show lippa's posts

well aim 32 and I remember the days where i was made fun of in school for wearing pats hats and shrits ,so in my eyes I see alot of people just on a band wagon

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaxpat. Show jaxpat's posts

In Response to Re: Perspective of a 50-year Pats Fan:
    In Response to Perspective of a 50-year Pats Fan : As a Pat's fan for 40 years the best way to describe your post is right on the button. I was with the Patriots for some pretty lean years but was ALWAYS WITH THEM and as you said this is special!!
    Posted by calvinator

I too go waaaay back as a Pats fan having seen my first Patriot game in Fenway Park with the qb of Mike Taliarro playing the Buffalo Bills with Dan Daraugh.
    Season ticket holder during the Grogan years and I too have seen it all. There have been more down years than up so this current run makes one truely appreciate the Patriot team and organization.
    I reside in Jax florida now but I did make the trip up to Foxboro a couple of weeks back for the Colts game and had a great time.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from calvinator. Show calvinator's posts

In Response to Re: Perspective of a 50-year Pats Fan : I too go waaaay back as a Pats fan having seen my first Patriot game in Fenway Park with the qb of Mike Taliarro playing the Buffalo Bills with Dan Daraugh. Season ticket holder during the Grogan years and I too have seen it all. There have been more down years than up so this current run makes one truely appreciate the Patriot team and organization. I reside in Jax florida now but I did make the trip up to Foxboro a couple of weeks back for the Colts game and had a great time.
    Posted by jaxpat

I was sitting directly over where the fire started at BC when the Patriots played the Redskins in the pre season. My dad lost me and the Patriots let me sit in the end zone to watch the game. Finally he found me in the second half. They were rough day's but boy we have stories to tell. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

Allow me to begin by saying that simply because I've been a fan for 50 years doesn't necessarily mean I know more about the game.  We all know this forum is loaded with highly knowledgeable and articulate Pats fans who make their points with clarity and precision.  I say that because I very much do not want to come across as 'preachy'.  That said I would offer that those of us fortunate enough to be Pats fans are witnessing something extraordinary and there be those among us who do not truly appreciate what we have here.  And what we have is the following: A world class owner.  Robert Kraft is without question among the most foresighted, capable and wise franchise owners not merely in the NFL but throughout professional sports.  He has developed a fine balance between responsible ownership with an appreciation for his responsibilities and rendering unto Caesar (or Belichick) that which belongs there.  He lets his football people  do their jobs. A magnificent coach/general manager.  Is Belichick perfect?  He11 no.  Is he the best coach and general manager I've ever seen?  Bar none.  I offer what he did when Brady went down in 2008.  Matt Cassell?  Matt Cassell? He who hadn't started a football game since high school for crying out loud and the team goes 11-5 and misses making the playoffs only because of the luck of the draw.  He then turns his attention to remaking an aging defense.  Conducts a complete overhaul, has the youngest D in the league and the team is 10-2 with an inside track for not only makling the playoffs but having home field advantage throughout.  (And, yes, you're right; I shouldn't be getting ahead of myself.)  But I ask you, do the Patriots rebuild or do they simply reload?  I would suggest the latter. A once in a generation quarterback. Again is he perfect? No. But look at the guy's body of work will you please.  Look at this performance against the league's top teams, not merely this year but historically.  Look at this performance in the playoffs.  Look at his game management, his precision passing, his cool head, his eye on the prize approach (f**k the stats, win the game), his leadership, his enthusiasm.  Not only have the Pats never had anyone like him, I'm not entirely sure the game has had anyone like him, ever. I post this thread because, from my perspective, these are wonderful days to be a Pats fan, and, trust me those of you younger than I (most of the known universe), 'twasn't always thus.
    Posted by ATJ

Absolutely!  You could write a book on the circus like acts pre-Chuck Fairbanks.....Remember Bob Gladieux being called out of the stands and there he was returning an opening kick-off?   I guess the some of the credit goes to James Orthwein Busch for hiring Parcells and then selling to the Krafts. We're in good hands.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Bravo!  Great read, great post!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

i would also fully agree with this post...we have had a few good teams in the past and some great players...but there have been many lean years prior to bill getting here... and kraft you couldnt ask for more... so I am fully apreciative of what we have... and to have the greatest coach in the history of the game be affiliated to our team within nfl history you couldnt ask for more...

and i beleive right now we are strating a new good long run with this young team.. who knows what that will bring... but it will be alot of fun to watch...

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Couple of memories for me:

*Transferred from the west coast to east coast in September '71 and having my buddies welcome me home by taking me to the 'Skins/Pats game at Sullivan Stadium.  Plunkett's rookie year.  Reggie Rucker just called up from the 'taxi squad'. Pats beat Billy Kilmer (starting because Sonny Jurgensen was hurt) and George Allen in the rain.  I was drenched, perhaps a little toasted but impressed that the Pats finally had their own statdium, aluminum bench seats and all.

*Final game of the '85 regular seaon, freezing my a ss off on those bench seats along with my son, watching the Pats clinch the wild card by beating Cincy.  Pats ground game was unstoppable (until they got to the Bears in the S/B). Led to their first S/B appearance.

Truly is amazing how far this team has come. 

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

right with ya ATJ! saw teddy ballgame hit a home run his final at bat and saw the pats at fenway too when I was about 12. gawd, remember those football boots from the 50's lol.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

There be those among us?

T'wasn't always thus?

You may not want to come across as "preachy," ATJ, but you certainly do come across as pompous.

Congratulations for being born a long time ago, but age -- in and of itself -- does not necessarily lend informed perspective.

I hate people who pretend they're better fans and have all kinds of sage "advice" for younger people just because they happened to be hanging around when the team sucked.

Of course, this might just be my bitterness surfacing because I've only been a fan for 49 years.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Remember the Sullivans. Kraft is the best owner in the NFL. he gives autonomy to the people that know the game better than him (BB, Reese, Dmitroff Casario). This is just a wise move. Contrast with meddlesome owners like Jones, Snyder et al.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

Posted by ATJ

ATJ,

I feel to same way when some of the local trolls complain about BB, how he was trying to do too much by himself etc, etc, or constant complaining about the Red Sox and Theo/Francona and all the bad deals, Francona not knowing how to handle his pitching staff. They should have been around in the late 1950s up to the Impossible Dream year in 67 with Sox when they were absolutely horrible.If they had  lived through those years, they would appreciate the 89 win season of last year even more and stop groaning for Theo's neck. 

I'm a transplant in Milwaukee from Boston as of 2004, and put up with the pathetic Brewers & Bucks. Atleast the Packers seem to be headed in the right direction, as long as they lose to the Pats.

Hetchinspete.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

There be those among us? T'wasn't always thus? You may not want to come across as "preachy," ATJ, but you certainly do come across as pompous. Congratulations for being born a long time ago, but age -- in and of itself -- does not necessarily lend informed perspective. I hate people who pretend they're better fans and have all kinds of sage "advice" for younger people just because they happened to be hanging around when the team sucked. Of course, this might just be my bitterness surfacing because I've only been a fan for 49 years.
    Posted by p-mike

Wow.

This didn't address the matter to your satisfaction: <<Allow me to begin by saying that simply because I've been a fan for 50 years doesn't necessarily mean I know more about the game.  We all know this forum is loaded with highly knowledgeable and articulate Pats fans who make their points with clarity and precision.>>

And there I thought I made it pretty clear that I acknowledge up front that age doesn't necessarily mean informed perspective.  Will bold type do it better next time?  A footnote perhaps?  A rough draft to you prior to posting then?

I hate people who pretend they're better fans and have all kinds of sage "advice" for younger people just because they happened to be hanging around when the team sucked.

And you drew that inference from what I posted how, exactly? 

What everyone else seems to have concluded (incorrectly if I'm reading you correctly) is that we're living in great times for a Patriots fan and it wasn't always that way.  

Oh, and since you find the use of 'Twas so offensive I'll endeavor to avoid its use going forward. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In Response to Re: Perspective of a 50-year Pats Fan : Wow. This didn't address the matter to your satisfaction: << Allow me to begin by saying that simply because I've been a fan for 50 years doesn't necessarily mean I know more about the game.  We all know this forum is loaded with highly knowledgeable and articulate Pats fans who make their points with clarity and precision . /> /> And there I thought I made it pretty clear that I acknowledge up front that age doesn't necessarily mean informed perspective.  Will bold type do it better next time?  A footnote perhaps?  A rough draft to you prior to posting then? I hate people who pretend they're better fans and have all kinds of sage "advice" for younger people just because they happened to be hanging around when the team sucked. And you drew that inference from what I posted how, exactly?  What everyone else seems to have concluded (incorrectly if I'm reading you correctly) is that we're living in great times for a Patriots fan and it wasn't always that way.   Oh, and since you find the use of 'Twas so offensive I'll endeavor to avoid its use going forward. 
    Posted by ATJ

Please don't take it the wrong way, ATJ . . .  but if you don't want to "sound preachy" it might be a good idea not to "preach."

Just sayin'

No harm, no foul, bro.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In Response to Re: Perspective of a 50-year Pats Fan : Either your Skins-Pats game was an exhibition, if it was in 1971, or was in 1972.  in 1972, the Pats were 3-11, with wins over Washington, Atlanta and New Orleans.  The Washington and Atlanta wins were both by one point, I believe, and occured in weeks two and three of the season.  Rucker was signed as a free agent in 1971 after being waived by the Gints.  He was with the Pats until 1975, then was traded to Cleveland for the 1976 seson, where he really blossomed. The Atlanta game was significant because Bill Bell (who would kick with the Pats in 1973) missed a chipshot FG at teh end of the game that would have won it for the Falcons. Cheers :)
    Posted by Patsfansince1966

Thinking back, and checking the Pats record over the years you're right of course.  The west coast to east coast transfer was in '71 and so was Plunkett's rookie year but the game had to have been in '72. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In Response to Re: Perspective of a 50-year Pats Fan : Please don't take it the wrong way, ATJ . . .  but when you begin your post with "I don't want to sound preachy" it might be a good idea not to preach. Just sayin' No harm, no foul, bro.
    Posted by p-mike

Hoisted aboard and indeed, no harm, no foul.  Feedback taken in the spirit given; no preach intended and regret any portion that was preachy.  (See, what happens when I stay up past my bedtime to watch these guys??)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=832eec10f4ebacdb72683d2ad73493b7&plckUserId=832eec10f4ebacdb72683d2ad73493b7">d76f0152-588c-435d-baee-cb84131b587a.Small.jpg

Patsfansince1966

First: 6/25/2008

Last: 12/7/2010

I agree with ATJ.  I've been a fan for 46 years now, and it's been a bumpy ride overall.  I remember being in a bar in the 1980's in Syracuse, NY, and I left my Pats jacket on a chair as I went to the men's room.  In the jacket pocket was a Sony Walkman (remember those?).  When I came back, tehWalkman was gone but my Pats' jacket wasn't...that tells you right there even crooks didn't respect them!

I remember going to two games at Sully Stadium in 1987, one of them being a replacement game (vs. Buffalo) and one a real game vs. The Jests in December.  Grogan threw five TDs in the first half and almost had a sixth, as he missed a wide open Irving Fryar at midfield.  

The high/low point sof those first years had to be the first Super Bowl season in 1985.  I was living in a house with four undergraduates (I was a grad student): one loved the Gints, another the Bills, a third the Dolphins, and the fourth wasn't into football.  I remember all the grief they gave me after the Super Bowl loss.  I was so bummed.

Then came the tough times in the late 80's early 1990's, starting with 1989.  Raymond Berry released Tony Eason half way through the season and I wrote a letter to Victor Kiam voicing my displeasure over that move.  He actually replied.  That seemed to send the team spiraling downward, as Flutie was also released a few weeks later (I never LIKED him).  The futility lasted until Parcells arrived and the hope was snatched away when Parcells let us down by looking for another job instead of concentrating on getting the team ready to win the Super Bowl.  I really feel that we should have beaten the packers that year.  I remember there was a sequence in that game that has ired me to this day: we were up 14-10 in the second quarter and we had the ball.  What do we do?  Rather than put together a nice drive that kils some clock, we threw three straight passes, all of which were incomplete.  The Pats then put and GB takes it down for a TD.  We were never ahead after that.  That was the turning point.

All that changed in 2000 wiith the arrival of BB and the drafting of Brady.  Contrary to what anyone will tell you, BB wanted Brady to be his starter in 2001, but Kraft had just written Bledsoe a huge new contract.  BB doesn't want t a player on his roster that he feels that he can beat if that player was on another team, and that is how he felt about Bledsoe.  He also felt the same way about Bernie Kosar in Cleveland.   Brady got his chance thanks to Mo Lewis and we moved the Statue to Buffalo.  i know some of you out there loved Bledsoe, but I was really only impressed with him when he was a rookie.  After that, he kind of lost it in my eyes, as he couldn't win the big game.  He was kind of a predecessor of Manning in his own way.

This run that we have been on is great.  I hope it continues, but I know that it won't.  One day we'll be on the bottom, but hopefully not for a long time.  Last night was one of the most satisfying moments for me as a Pats fan, as I think we shut a lot of people up.  I truly would have like to have heard what Cris Carter and Tom Jackson had to say after that game.  I knew both would pick the Jests, but as usual, Ditka picked the Pats.

Not that I want to brag, but I did have the feeling that the Pats were going to score 40 on the Jests, and they beat my prediction: they scored 45.  I also felt the D would be much improved if they could just hold on to some of those passes that tehy were almost intercepting.  The last thing I will say that irks me is this: last night on ESPN radio, they were talking about how the Jests had a field day "running the ball" with over 150 yards.  Well, I would say that most of that over 150 running yards came after the game had been decided, including the last Jests drive where they just basically ran out the clock.  That is the first time i can remember since perhaps the 1980's(?) where a team way behind hasn't gotten into what I call a run up the score mode when behind.  In the "old days", when  ateam was way behind, they would just run the ball to end it.  Now, even when too many scores behind, teams are still passing, and trying to score, which generally leads to scores for the other team.  I give kudos to the Jests for just running the ball at teh end and not trying to score a meaningless TD.

I hope this ride never ends.  Since I have been out of work since the end of April, this team has been one of the bright spots in my life.  The Pats are 10-2 and the best.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

No-one cares to read your garbage Patsfansince1966
    Posted by harleyroadking1

None of my business, harley  (Oh . . .   and just say "Hey" and by the way, whatever happened to the original Harleyrodeking?      That guy hates me), but I find this guy (patsfansinceiwokeupyesterday) as annoying as most everyone else on this site does, and it occurs to me that a better way to combat his idiocy -- rather than responding to his sad, desperate attempts at fishing for any kind of response he can get -- would be to simply pretend he's not even here.

Just a thought.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts