Perspective of a 50-year Pats Fan

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Re: Perspective of a 50-year Pats Fan

And all I wanted to do was simply acknowledge what a wonderful time it is to be a Pats fan.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

In Response to Re: Perspective of a 50-year Pats Fan:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Perspective of a 50-year Pats Fan : None of my business, harley  (Oh . . .   and just say "Hey" and by the way, whatever happened to the original Harleyrodeking?      That guy hates me), but I find this guy (patsfansinceiwokeupyesterday) as annoying as most everyone else on this site does, and it occurs to me that a better way to combat his idiocy -- rather than responding to his sad, desperate attempts at fishing for any kind of response he can get -- would be to simply pretend he's not even here. Just a thought.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

Still the same HRK and I don't hate anyone. We had disagreements that I can't even remember what is was about. Your posts here are spot on most of time and I agree will you more than not.    peace

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

ATJ ~my apologizes for that. But this Patsfansince1966 is a dooosh that doesn't belong here. Again sorry for ruining your thread.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hoyle. Show hoyle's posts

[QUOTE]I agree with ATJ.  I've been a fan for 46 years now, and it's been a bumpy ride overall.  I remember being in a bar in the 1980's in Syracuse, NY, and I left my Pats jacket on a chair as I went to the men's room.  In the jacket pocket was a Sony Walkman (remember those?).  When I came back, tehWalkman was gone but my Pats' jacket wasn't...that tells you right there even crooks didn't respect them! I remember going to two games at Sully Stadium in 1987, one of them being a replacement game (vs. Buffalo) and one a real game vs. The Jests in December.  Grogan threw five TDs in the first half and almost had a sixth, as he missed a wide open Irving Fryar at midfield.  The high/low point sof those first years had to be the first Super Bowl season in 1985.  I was living in a house with four undergraduates (I was a grad student): one loved the Gints, another the Bills, a third the Dolphins, and the fourth wasn't into football.  I remember all the grief they gave me after the Super Bowl loss.  I was so bummed. Then came the tough times in the late 80's early 1990's, starting with 1989.  Raymond Berry released Tony Eason half way through the season and I wrote a letter to Victor Kiam voicing my displeasure over that move.  He actually replied.  That seemed to send the team spiraling downward, as Flutie was also released a few weeks later (I never LIKED him).  The futility lasted until Parcells arrived and the hope was snatched away when Parcells let us down by looking for another job instead of concentrating on getting the team ready to win the Super Bowl.  I really feel that we should have beaten the packers that year.  I remember there was a sequence in that game that has ired me to this day: we were up 14-10 in the second quarter and we had the ball.  What do we do?  Rather than put together a nice drive that kils some clock, we threw three straight passes, all of which were incomplete.  The Pats then put and GB takes it down for a TD.  We were never ahead after that.  That was the turning point. All that changed in 2000 wiith the arrival of BB and the drafting of Brady.  Contrary to what anyone will tell you, BB wanted Brady to be his starter in 2001, but Kraft had just written Bledsoe a huge new contract.  BB doesn't want t a player on his roster that he feels that he can beat if that player was on another team, and that is how he felt about Bledsoe.  He also felt the same way about Bernie Kosar in Cleveland.   Brady got his chance thanks to Mo Lewis and we moved the Statue to Buffalo.  i know some of you out there loved Bledsoe, but I was really only impressed with him when he was a rookie.  After that, he kind of lost it in my eyes, as he couldn't win the big game.  He was kind of a predecessor of Manning in his own way. This run that we have been on is great.  I hope it continues, but I know that it won't.  One day we'll be on the bottom, but hopefully not for a long time.  Last night was one of the most satisfying moments for me as a Pats fan, as I think we shut a lot of people up.  I truly would have like to have heard what Cris Carter and Tom Jackson had to say after that game.  I knew both would pick the Jests, but as usual, Ditka picked the Pats. Not that I want to brag, but I did have the feeling that the Pats were going to score 40 on the Jests, and they beat my prediction: they scored 45.  I also felt the D would be much improved if they could just hold on to some of those passes that tehy were almost intercepting.  The last thing I will say that irks me is this: last night on ESPN radio, they were talking about how the Jests had a field day "running the ball" with over 150 yards.  Well, I would say that most of that over 150 running yards came after the game had been decided, including the last Jests drive where they just basically ran out the clock.  That is the first time i can remember since perhaps the 1980's(?) where a team way behind hasn't gotten into what I call a run up the score mode when behind.  In the "old days", when  ateam was way behind, they would just run the ball to end it.  Now, even when too many scores behind, teams are still passing, and trying to score, which generally leads to scores for the other team.  I give kudos to the Jests for just running the ball at teh end and not trying to score a meaningless TD. I hope this ride never ends.  Since I have been out of work since the end of April, this team has been one of the bright spots in my life.  The Pats are 10-2 and the best.  On to Chicago!
    Posted by Patsfansince1966[/QUOTE]

We should start a  pats 1966 fan club on the forumWink
    Poor old 1966 is such a easy target ...... 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Perspective of a 50-year Pats Fan : Still the same HRK and I don't hate anyone. We had disagreements that I can't even remember what is was about. Your posts here are spot on most of time and I agree will you more than not.    peace
    Posted by harleyroadking1[/QUOTE]

Merry Christmas, my brother.

Is it just me . . .   or is it awesome to be a Pats fan?

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I'm going to ask that we dispense with the sniping.  If it continues I'm going to ask that my thread be closed. 

All I really intended this thread to be was an acknowledgement of how truly great it is to be a Pats fan at this point in time. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Closing the thread.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from coatesfan. Show coatesfan's posts

[QUOTE]Closing the thread.
    Posted by ATJ[/QUOTE]

Great Post ATJ!!  thank you!!

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BS10FAN. Show BS10FAN's posts

In Response to Perspective of a 50-year Pats Fan:
    [QUOTE]Allow me to begin by saying that simply because I've been a fan for 50 years doesn't necessarily mean I know more about the game.  We all know this forum is loaded with highly knowledgeable and articulate Pats fans who make their points with clarity and precision.  I say that because I very much do not want to come across as 'preachy'.  That said I would offer that those of us fortunate enough to be Pats fans are witnessing something extraordinary and there be those among us who do not truly appreciate what we have here.  And what we have is the following: A world class owner.  Robert Kraft is without question among the most foresighted, capable and wise franchise owners not merely in the NFL but throughout professional sports.  He has developed a fine balance between responsible ownership with an appreciation for his responsibilities and rendering unto Caesar (or Belichick) that which belongs there.  He lets his football people  do their jobs. A magnificent coach/general manager.  Is Belichick perfect?  He11 no.  Is he the best coach and general manager I've ever seen?  Bar none.  I offer what he did when Brady went down in 2008.  Matt Cassell?  Matt Cassell? He who hadn't started a football game since high school for crying out loud and the team goes 11-5 and misses making the playoffs only because of the luck of the draw.  He then turns his attention to remaking an aging defense.  Conducts a complete overhaul, has the youngest D in the league and the team is 10-2 with an inside track for not only makling the playoffs but having home field advantage throughout.  (And, yes, you're right; I shouldn't be getting ahead of myself.)  But I ask you, do the Patriots rebuild or do they simply reload?  I would suggest the latter. A once in a generation quarterback. Again is he perfect? No. But look at the guy's body of work will you please.  Look at this performance against the league's top teams, not merely this year but historically.  Look at this performance in the playoffs.  Look at his game management, his precision passing, his cool head, his eye on the prize approach (f**k the stats, win the game), his leadership, his enthusiasm.  Not only have the Pats never had anyone like him, I'm not entirely sure the game has had anyone like him, ever. I post this thread because, from my perspective, these are wonderful days to be a Pats fan, and, trust me those of you younger than I (most of the known universe), 'twasn't always thus.
    Posted by ATJ[/QUOTE]

All I can say that is that I pretty much agree..I have been a fan for 35+ years..and what is happening this year is truly remarkable..it never gets old..you may question the decisons and the course but never the outcome..I would have never imagined that the defense this year would complement the offense..I knew the defense would grow up but how fast was always the question..They are growing up fast and have been playing some great football against some very good teams and they are learning very quickly and having success which builds confidence.

Tom Brady has just been playing out of his mind lately..can you imagine what this team will look like after another solid draft..I told my 13 year old son you have to watch these games you may never see a Patriot team like you have witnessed over the last decade and certainly not a QB coach tandem like this..awesome!

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Contacted editorial staff via email and requeted that the thread be closed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southnpatsfan. Show southnpatsfan's posts

This was a walk down memory lane. The first game I went to in 63 "The Babe" was the QB. I remember Jesse Richardson was the only one exempt from wearing a face mask. I think the game was played at BU field.

This was a good read, thanks for the memories!!