Peter King calls BB out for not drafting a RB

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from murghkhor. Show murghkhor's posts

Peter King calls BB out for not drafting a RB

Peter King of SI in his MMQB column

I think I have one question for Patriots fans: Do you think Laurence Maroney has incriminating photos of someone? Kidding, but really, they've got 12 draft picks and can't get someone to threaten the job of the terminally disappointing Maroney?

Read More:http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/05/02/offseason/3.html#ixzz0mt5S1Dny

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimNotJimmy. Show JimNotJimmy's posts

Re: Peter King calls BB out for not drafting a RB

Peter King is a joke and should go toss his own salad. He actually thinks what he writes matters and Bill is going to listen to his advice.  My opinion is yes we need a new running back but it wasn't a pressing need over the other areas like OLB MLB CB TE which is what we addressed in the first few rounds. It would've been pointless to draft one in later rounds just to have him compete with the others. I expect next year we will go after one early in the draft. And yes I know Bill B is not listening to my advice either and no I will not go and toss my own salad.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSII. Show BSII's posts

Maroney, Morris, Taylor, BJGE and Faulk were all under contract for 2010 going into the draft.  They squeezed out almost 2000 yards with that group last year despite Fragile Fred missing a bunch of games.  Pats probably decided they had RB covered for this year and will address it in 2011.  Adding Alge Crumpler and a the 2 rookie TEs should help the running game overall.  Be nice to see the old 2 TE set more often this year.  Chris Johnson was quoted saying losing Crumpler would cost him 300 yards, that's a nice endorsement.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

They could have drafted Blount in the 7th round but what for? Did anyone see the live feed from the apartment he was at during the draft? Dude had a pack of cigerettes sitting within an arms reach of him on the otherwise empty couch. Who else would they want? Maybe Paschall comes in and wows them in the real camp! He had a very productive college career at NDSU,he averaged 139 YPG! He not fast and he's not flashy but he follows blocks exceptionally well and he has a good burst through whatever hole has been provided. I don't worry about what writers scribble about drafts or coulda,shoulda,woulda's. It is what it is..BB knows what he has and he's moving forward.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sydpat. Show sydpat's posts

Sportsbozo 1.............Who else would they want?

Anthony Dixon........................6th round

Jonathan Dwyer?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_483130. Show user_483130's posts

I like the draft they had, but I agree w/ Peter King. I would still like to see another RB.  I definitely don't think the roster is set, there will be the chance to add a RB going forward.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBRULES23. Show BBRULES23's posts

I agree with picking up Blount in the later rds of the draft, but what's done is done.  The Pats are still thin at RB, Taylor is coming off an injury prone season, I don't expect that to change at his age.  Morris is also injury prone, and Maroney dances and fumbles.  Faulk is still a great back, but his age is concerning.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Peter King calls BB out for not drafting a RB:
    Peter King of SI in his MMQB column I think I have one question for Patriots fans: Do you think  Laurence Maroney  has incriminating photos of someone? Kidding, but really, they've got 12 draft picks and can't get someone to threaten the job of the terminally disappointing Maroney? Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/05/02/offseason/3.html#ixzz0mt5S1Dny
    Posted by murghkhor

King stated the following: "I think I have one question for Patriots fans: Do you think Laurence Maroneyhas incriminating photos of someone? Kidding, but really, they've got 12 draft picks and can't get someone to threaten the job of the terminally disappointing Maroney?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

I like reading Peter King and Gregg Easterbrook as well....they both are good at their craft, but don't take them too seriously. They are more Op-Ed guys at this point in their careers.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I was hoping for a RB out of this draft myself.  But with all the holes this team had it could only cover so much.  Blount might have been an interesting pick but he ended up signing as a FA some where else so that means Blount was never considered.  Who knows why?

I've always said the Pats would need this draft and next years to cover all the holes so I'm waiting on next years picks to see what happens.  RB has got to be at the top of the list.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Pk is a dumba$$, BB picked up the kid from ND State, he might beat out BJG

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Sure it would have been nice to see a really good back get signed but I like all the different backs the Pats have and BB using them all for different roles.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

wish they would have signed Toney Baker as an UFA.  the dude is pretty good.  he ran behind Ted Larsen (6th round) at NC State.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Rookie RBs are likely to get Tom Brady killed. 

If one good RB is left standing at the end of January, BB will be happy.  If not he will be unhappy. 

I wonder whether the field is flush with not-so-famous but workable RBs being ejected out of their contracts this year.  They want to work somewhere, anywhere, the final eight teams can't sign them, and the Patriots are looking mighty fine these days.  Maybe in another month we'll see one of them signed.  The whole lot of them won't sign for cheap right now because LT just cashed in bigtime, but give them all a month of unemployment and see who flinches first.

So, researchers, any idea of who is available right now?  Also, who will be available on September 1 after the final cutbacks?  BB will certainly not need a good RB until about November, with Fragile Fred, Old but Slammin Sammy and Runs Upright Laurence Maroney already in line for playing time.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

king is a notorious BB hater. no big surprise there. but...i kind of agree with him. we need a new running back. lots of good ones are found in the middle to late rounds. i'm still hoping someone with some talent hits the waiver wire. i like taylor and morris but they were over the hill two years ago. and i am so tired of seeing laura dance behind the line of scrimmage. i think this is a black hole for the offense. i really hope this paschall kid is our year breakout undrafted player. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

Wow are Pats fans the most sensitive fans in the world or what???  First of, every single one of you guys has been complaining about Maroney for years.  Second, he didnt say use a TOP pick, he said they had 12 picks, couldnt they find someone draft with ALL those picks to push Maroney.  Morris and Taylor cant do it cause they cant stay healthy enough to get on the field.

Please all you guys calling King a joke go back and look at all your mock drafts, 90% of you have the Pats taking a RB at some point.  But someone else suggest it and OMG defend BB he is under attack!!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

In Response to Re: Peter King calls BB out for not drafting a RB:
    Wow are Pats fans the most sensitive fans in the world or what???  First of, every single one of you guys has been complaining about Maroney for years.  Second, he didnt say use a TOP pick, he said they had 12 picks, couldnt they find someone draft with ALL those picks to push Maroney.  Morris and Taylor cant do it cause they cant stay healthy enough to get on the field. Please all you guys calling King a joke go back and look at all your mock drafts, 90% of you have the Pats taking a RB at some point.  But someone else suggest it and OMG defend BB he is under attack!!!!
    Posted by Patsman2

lol....so true! 

Now I do think that King is an idiot, he has a point.  Do any of us really have faith in the RB's we have aside from Faulk...ummm...NO!  Freddy and Sammy are walking injuries, BJGE? Maroney is self explantory.  I believe Dwyer was right there in the 6th or 7th round and he went to Pittsburgh.  Now of course hindsight is 20/20, but bring in a guy to challenge some of these vets...dont tell me Paschall will do it either...that guy has a very long shot to make this team.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I would cut the guys here some slack.  King has written some very silly things about the Pats in the past so when you read him you always think the worse of it.  He does have a point but it was also written in a sarcastic manner.  Kinda like being poked with a stick.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

In Response to Re: Peter King calls BB out for not drafting a RB : Agreed - RB will be at the top and it will be a better class to pick from. I think BB wants to get a look at Price, Tate and Edelman (maybe Stanback), and then decide what to do about WR in the 2011 draft. Similarly BB will look at Brace and crew and decide what to do at DE (Lewis and Warren are most likely "one and done"). So it will be DE, RB and WR + another.
    Posted by One-If-By-Sea

Lots of DTs and DEs at the top of next years draft and I think that's where the Pats will go.  RB with the 2nd first rounder.  Light is in the last year of his contract so I wonder what will happen there?  I'm big on looking for a replacement on Koppen as well.  I'm talking about two of Bill's fav's so I don't know if anything will happen.  WR is on the radar with Moss going.  Ouch!  If Holt is productive I can see the Pats resigning him but he's not the replacement for Moss.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

The better question is who cares what he thinks.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

i like to refer to peter as spot...

a name either your female dog might have or a circus clown...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Couple of points:

Everything King writes about the Pats is suspect.  He's had an ax to grind for some time.

Light's replacement is already in the fold - Vollmer.  They'll get someone to play the right side.

I agree with several other posters that RB is covered for this season.  I suspect a quality RB will be taken in either the 1st or 2nd rounds next year.

I like the results of the Pats draft although I'm absolutely certain Peter King could have done an infinitely better job.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrbungle. Show mrbungle's posts

Well surprise, surprise, I agree with King for once. Passing up Anthony Dixon was inexcusable IMO. Watch him run this year in the NFL and remember we passed on him. Not only that, Maroney needs to be pushed by a hungry young back. Instead, the Patriots briing in older backs because of their "experience" that end up injured. Maroney needs to be challenged and he isn't.

I think if Marion Barber is indeed available for the right price, BB should go after him big time. If Maroney sees Barber coming in there will no doubt be some competition. Competition that I would LOVE to see happen. Can you imagine the Patriots lining up with Crumpler and Gronkowski on each end with Barber and Maroney BOTH in the backfield? Ooooo. Now THAT would be priceless. Maroney for a short pass from Brady? Barber up the middle. Maroney leading for Barber? Barber for Maroney? Tell me that wouldn't be killer!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

Well surprise, surprise, I agree with King for once. Passing up Anthony Dixon was inexcusable IMO. Watch him run this year in the NFL and remember we passed on him. Not only that, Maroney needs to be pushed by a hungry young back. Instead, the Patriots briing in older backs because of their "experience" that end up injured. Maroney needs to be challenged and he isn't. I think if Marion Barber is indeed available for the right price, BB should go after him big time. If Maroney sees Barber coming in there will no doubt be some competition. Competition that I would LOVE to see happen. Can you imagine the Patriots lining up with Crumpler and Gronkowski on each end with Barber and Maroney BOTH in the backfield? Ooooo. Now THAT would be priceless. Maroney for a short pass from Brady? Barber up the middle. Maroney leading for Barber? Barber for Maroney? Tell me that wouldn't be killer!
    Posted by mrbungle

Agree with the idea but isnt Barber just as injury prone as everyone else we have?  He lost his starting job in Dallas because he couldnt stay on the field.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

The only different between me and Peter King (or most sports writers) is that I actually know that I'm not a football expert.  I can sit back and say "they should do this or that" but I don't actually know the differece between cover 5 and cover 8 let alone which matchups make wake one more effective than the other. 

Sections
Shortcuts