Peter King: Charlie Weis to Indianapolis or New England?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Peter King: Charlie Weis to Indianapolis or New England?

Peter King on the NBC pre-game show says that Weis is likely done with Notre Dame adn that he will also likely be going back to the NFL. Some logical destinations are New England, Carolina, and Kansas City. One thing he also mentioned was the possibility of going to the Colts. Tom Moore is likely leaving after another season (at least that's what King said) and Weis is considered a Hoosier, according to Tong Dungy. What do you think?

I posted it a few weeks ago: I think he's coming back to New England for another dynasty run.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from grammbo14. Show grammbo14's posts

Re: Peter King: Charlie Weis to Indianapolis or New England?

I like the idea, I just wonder if it will happen because of a couple of things: an ego issue for Weis, i.e. he wants success outside of Belicheck/Brady, or Belichick doesn't want to sandbag O'Brien or wants to develop someone. But I love the idea, you can really notice the difference with the play-calling this year, real suspect. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nickelbean. Show nickelbean's posts

I think that we would be alot better if we had Weis calling plays.  Good play calling  has been lacking this year, in my opinion.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

Tom Moore says he's retiring when they take him out in a hearse.  Unless the Colts fire (or kill) Moore, Weiss isn't going there...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kman2004. Show kman2004's posts

I would definitely like to see Charlie back in New England. I heard the comment that Dungy made regarding Weis possibly going to Indianapolis. That would be a devasting blow to loose him to the dolts.

One thing that worries me a little is something Michael Holly said about the possibility of Weis coming back as offensive coordinator. He said he did not think Belicheck would bring him back in that capacity. He said since he is already grooming Obrien he believes in developing talent from within and thought if he came back it would be in a different role.

He said he might come back labeled a quarterback coach, but also be labeled an assistant head coach. Would that type of situation be a turnoff to Weis? Who knows. If it would be, then that might provide more justifcation for him to consider the Colts. However, Dungy did mention that their current offensive coordinator would be staying for another year.

Overall knowing the guys history with Belicheck it's hard to imagine that would go to the Colts. He was with Belicheck in NY with the Giants and NE.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

The idea of Weis spurning his best friends in the NFL in Bill Belichick and Tom Brady to go to the COLTS just blows my mind.

I hope the Patriots make a serious play for Weis, and ASAP - if for any reason to prevent the Colts from getting him (and because he has to be more consistent than O'Brien is, and able to get the right personnel on the field in the clutch for the play that he calls)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

In Response to Re: Peter King: Charlie Weis to Indianapolis or New England?:
    [QUOTE]The idea of Weis spurning his best friends in the NFL in Bill Belichick and Tom Brady to go to the COLTS just blows my mind. I hope the Patriots make a serious play for Weis, and ASAP - if for any reason to prevent the Colts from getting him (and because he has to be more consistent than O'Brien is, and able to get the right personnel on the field in the clutch for the play that he calls)
    Posted by NickC1188[/QUOTE]

I agree but remember, the Patriots aren't too loyal either when it comes to the business side of things so who knows if Weis will be in that mindset. I think the play-calling this year has been sub-par and we've gotten by because of the sheer talent and experience we have on offense. I'd love to see Weis back at it in New England.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Irkillendem. Show Irkillendem's posts

Lol, I'm sure Weis would come back if the Patriots offered him the chance to. Look at the offensive talent we have now. Not that Troy Brown was a bad receiver it's just I think Randy Moss is the better one.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

I disagree, the pats are loyal as long as you perform and can contribute.  They are not loyal to those that dont produce

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

[QUOTE]I disagree, the pats are loyal as long as you perform and can contribute.  They are not loyal to those that dont produce
    Posted by MordecaiBloodmoon[/QUOTE]

Good point. I guess what I meant to say was that they don't overpay for players based on pedigree and what they did years before. They pay you and stay by your side as long as you're performing today...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

i agree that the play calling has been pretty bad this year, especially in the red zone and in the second half with the lead.

the calls are too conservative in the red zone, and we've been unable to effectively deliver the final blow and manage the clock in the second half.

if weis is the answer, lets get him.
    if not, lets not.

*i think he is*

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from passedball. Show passedball's posts

In Response to Peter King: Charlie Weis to Indianapolis or New England?:
    [QUOTE] Tom Moore is likely leaving after another season (at least that's what King said) and Weis is considered a Hoosier, according to Tong Dungy. What do you think? [/QUOTE]

Tony Dungy= crack head. End thread.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Peter King: Charlie Weis to Indianapolis or New England? : Tony Dungy= crack head. End thread.
    Posted by passedball[/QUOTE]

I think he had some smart things to say tonight when discussing Michael Oher in the pre-game show.

Having said that, i saw this on the Celtics @ Heat conversation thread on ESPN and thought I'd share it:
    Doesn't Dungy look like Waluigi?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from flip781. Show flip781's posts

Financially Charlie is all set with the buy-out from Notre Dame said to be in the neigborhood of $10 million or more....He left on great terms with B.B and I have to believe that Weis would be welcomed back after Bellicheck's waching his team's obvious predictability with  Obrien's offense !! If Obrien would be gracious he could learn a lot from Charlie about things like half-time adjustments in your stategy .What to look for on film that would help you readily spot the weaknesses in the apposing teams defense ......Very important strategies that Weis is very good at and  why he was so succesful as a Offensive Coordinator............

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southernpat. Show southernpat's posts

In the Parcell's regime, BB was always the quiet student who went about his business and received the teachers approval.  Weiss was the whipping boy.  I think Charlie would relish coming back to the Pats and sticking it to Parcells and Miami.  While we're at it, Romeo can come back too. 

On another note, the Fox pregame show had everyone picking New Orleans over the Pats except for Howie (a New England boy) and Frank Caliendo.  Why does Terry hate the Pats so much or is it just because he's a Louisiana boy? 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Peter King: Charlie Weis to Indianapolis or New England? : I agree but remember, the Patriots aren't too loyal either when it comes to the business side of things so who knows if Weis will be in that mindset. I think the play-calling this year has been sub-par and we've gotten by because of the sheer talent and experience we have on offense. I'd love to see Weis back at it in New England.
    Posted by apdynasty23[/QUOTE]

Two points:

1) Let's not get silly on loyalty, this is a business. We all love TB but if he started to lose it and began playing at a level of say, sanchize, it would not be long before we, the loyal fans wanted his head. That is the business side of the NFL, teams that win keep the fans happy and make money.

2) With Charlie this is more than business, he and Brady are true friends. TB spent his time in the hospital when Charlie was sick. TB spoke at his trial. BB and Charlie are friends, though BB will take more of a business attitude then TB. Charlie going to Indy would be a friendship blow as well as a business deal. Might happen but would take a lot.

IMHO

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from koft. Show koft's posts

In Response to Peter King: Charlie Weis to Indianapolis or New England?:
    [QUOTE]Peter King on the NBC pre-game show says that Weis is likely done with Notre Dame adn that he will also likely be going back to the NFL. Some logical destinations are New England, Carolina, and Kansas City. One thing he also mentioned was the possibility of going to the Colts. Tom Moore is likely leaving after another season (at least that's what King said) and Weis is considered a Hoosier, according to Tong Dungy. What do you think? I posted it a few weeks ago: I think he's coming back to New England for another dynasty run.
    the playcalling has been aweful, as it was in macdaniels 1st season as well. the last series of downs in Indy was a case in point. first, brady hands the ball off to faulk for no gain, then they try a short sidelines  incomplete pass to welker, and then the short pass to faulk for no gain, or a one yard gain. geez wizz. how about going with your strengths? how about welker over the middle for 12, then a screen pass to faulk for 8, and then a bullet to moss for 13? the pats would have been on Indy`s 30 yd L with less then one minute to go, with the victory well in hand. all it would have taken is a few very basic pass plays, instead, o`brien tries to 'nickel and dime' it to death, just trying to get that first down.] i have to ask, when have the patriots had a problem getting a first down?] too bad BB wasn`t  so timid that day. my advise, whether they win or lose today, is for them to go with their strenghts...welker, moss, watson, faulk and  how about surprising everyone by dumping the ball off to maroney for a....45 YD gain once in a while as well. now that would be a surprise. this team is losing it`s edge by being so damn consevative. what a waste.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Peter King: Charlie Weis to Indianapolis or New England? : the playcalling has been aweful, as it was in macdaniels 1st season as well. the last series of downs in Indy was a case in point. first, brady hands the ball off to faulk for no gain, then they try a short sidelines  incomplete pass to welker, and then the short pass to faulk for no gain, or a one yard gain. geez wizz. how about going with your strengths? how about welker over the middle for 12, then a screen pass to faulk for 8, and then a bullet to moss for 13? the pats would have been on Indy`s 30 yd L with less then one minute to go, with the victory well in hand. all it would have taken is a few very basic pass plays, instead, o`brien tries to 'nickel and dime' it to death, just trying to get that first down.] i have to ask, when have the patriots had a problem getting a first down?] too bad BB wasn`t  so timid that day. my advise, whether they win or lose today, is for them to go with their strenghts...welker, moss, watson, faulk and  how about surprising everyone by dumping the ball off to maroney for a....45 YD gain once in a while as well. now that would be a surprise. this team is losing it`s edge by being so damn consevative. what a waste.
    Posted by koft[/QUOTE]

My biggest peeve: not having the right personnel on the field for the first play that was called in their final drive in Indy, then having to burn a timeout.

Weis has already won Super Bowls as an offensive coordinator and already has considerable rapport with Brady and Belichick.  I also think he'd have the offense running more consistently.  I'd love to see what he could do with Moss and Welker.  I can't see Weis making a mistake like that, or I could see Weis still finding a good play with the personnel in the huddle to save the timeout.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

[QUOTE]I think that we would be alot better if we had Weis calling plays.  Good play calling  has been lacking this year, in my opinion.
    Posted by nickelbean[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it $uck$ that we are 7-3 and have one of the top 3 offenses this year....We should get rid of Belichick for doing a horrible job.....

Thank God we don't ask for your opinion.....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Weis is out:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4700891

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NickC1188. Show NickC1188's posts

[QUOTE]Weis is out: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4700891

yup.  should have posted my thoughts on this here:

I don't see how he'd get another college head coaching job after his stint at Notre Dame.  His recruiting classes were good, but his results slowly declined.  Nothing he did would give him a shot at an NFL head coaching job either, methinks.

Waluigi (Tony Dungy - http://www.mariomayhem.com/reference/character_bios/waluigi1.jpg) offered this viewpoint on recruiting... um I mean the possibility of Weis going to the Colts:
    (Rodney duly notes: "Where's all this 'we' coming from?")

I just don't see how he wouldn't come back to the Patriots to be an offensive coordinator, all things made equal.

He'd be coaching his 'son'/good friend again

He'd also be coaching for another good friend in Belichick:

Pay particular attention to the link where Weis sings Bon Jovi with Belichick and try to tell me that he'd bypass being an offensive coordinator with one or two of his best friends instead of going to the team each or all of them might hate.

Sections
Shortcuts