Peter King insists the Patriots will "snap up" Ed Reed when the Ravens don't re-sign him....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Peter King insists the Patriots will "snap up" Ed Reed when the Ravens don't re-sign him....

Said it tonight on PTI. I'd only do it if he comes in at the right price, which he probably won't. He's 34 years old, and his best days are past him. If the Pats sign Talib I don't think they need him with Dennard out there--unless he wants to go play safety opposite McCourty, which he also proabaly won't.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

Re: Peter King insists the Patriots will

I agree with Peter King, if the Ravens don't sign him expect BB to try his best to.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

Would look great next to McCourty. Two instinctive, rangy, athletic, and surprisingly physical safeties. If we could manage to nab Reed, and re-sign Talib, our secondary woes would come to an end.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to dreighver's comment:

Would look great next to McCourty. Two instinctive, rangy, athletic, and surprisingly physical safeties. If we could manage to nab Reed, and re-sign Talib, our secondary woes would come to an end.

As a safety yes, like I said in my op, that I would go for. Not sure about corner, especially if it means not signing Talib. If Reed is willing to come here and play safety, heck, go for it.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

As a safety yes, like I said in my op, that I would go for. Not sure about corner, especially if it means not signing Talib. If Reed is willing to come here and play safety, heck, go for it.

Since he has always played safety, one would assume that he would play safety if he ever joined the Patriots.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

BB will try his best to pull this off, he has a ton of respect for Reed and he could potentially have a Rodney Harrison-type impact on the secondary. He's not what he was five years ago, but he's still in the upper-tier of NFL Safeties.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

There's no reason why the Ravens wouldn't resign Reed unless his price range is too high.

If he hits the open market, it's because his price is too high. So if the Pats sign him, it probably won't be for cheap

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to newenglanderinexile's comment:

Since he has always played safety, one would assume that he would play safety if he ever joined the Patriots.

Guess I havent been paying attention. Always thought Reed was a corner. Bring him in then, wont hear any complaints from me. Sign Talib and secondary issues are solved.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from series2006. Show series2006's posts

would be a grea tpick up

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

+1

If you do not realize that Ed Reed is and always has been a safety (probably the best safety in the NFL over the past ten years), it makes your other opinions on defense backs and defensive backfield play carry slightly less weight.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to FrnkBnhm's comment:

+1

If you do not realize that Ed Reed is and always has been a safety (probably the best safety in the NFL over the past ten years), it makes your other opinions on defense backs and defensive backfield play carry slightly less weight.

:  )

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

What makes people think that no one else will be willing to pay Ed Reed to play football? Especially, should the Ravens win on Sunday, I would think he would go for the $$$.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

What makes people think that no one else will be willing to pay Ed Reed to play football? Especially, should the Ravens win on Sunday, I would think he would go for the $$$.

Should the Ravens win the SB then I agree with you, Reed will go where the big money is.  If they lose, I would expect him to go to a team that is close to going, certainly the Pats would be a good choice for him unless he really plans on staying with the Ravens.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I agree.  McCorty will have hit the jackpot.  Can you imagine all McCorty could learn from Reed.  That alone is reason to sign him.  Would help McCorty out big time which would carry over for the Patriots for years to come.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

I can't imagine he'd come to the Pats. It would be received ten times worse in Baltimore than Ray Allen's move to Miami was in Boston.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

Usually vets take less money to come to the Patriots because they think they have a good chance for a championship. I'd say the Ravens are doing pretty well in that area.

The Patriots would have to over-pay unless the Ravens simply break the bank for Flaco and just offer Reed the minimum then I do not see why the Pats would be in any special position to get him.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

I can't imagine he'd come to the Pats. It would be received ten times worse in Baltimore than Ray Allen's move to Miami was in Boston.

He and Belicheck have alway had a very good raptor. So I doubt that his loyalty to Baltimore will have any impact on where he signs if indeed they let him go. My guess is that he re-ups with the Ravens. More than likely he agrees to restructure his deal so the Ravens can afford to sign Flaco. then he retires after the season...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

+1

Its more like I dont pay attention to whos a safety and whos a corner on other teams. I see a guy in coverage, hes a db, the pass is completed or its not. Since I dont have any concern over whether or not some guy would be better for may team at corner or safety (like McCourty and his issue) I simply dont care which position hes playing back there. Its all the same because you complete the pass or you dont because I think of it from the perspective of the team Im following, and dont care about who is who on the other team. If someone sacks Brady, I cant say as I pay any attention to whether hes a DL or LB, and have no idea whos gap he came through, who blew an assignment, why the play that was called enabled him to get to the QB, and why McDaniels is an idiot for calling it. I just dont analyze it that much. Now that you guys mentioned it, I remember Reed being called a safety, but I dont always pay attention to who plays which db position on other teams.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

It's all going to come down to money in the end. Reed is still a good S but he's no longer a top 5 S, maybe not even a top 10 S anymore. Given his age and that he had nagging injures all of last year which did limit the time he spent on the field I'm not even sure I'd be willing to give him much more then what Gregory got. I doubt that would get it done though.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Guess I havent been paying attention. Always thought Reed was a corner. Bring him in then, wont hear any complaints from me. Sign Talib and secondary issues are solved.

I dont know that I would say McCourty is physical. Athletic, rangy, fast? Yes. Not so physical.

Reed, although an upgrade from current personel, has really lost a step and a half, and is border line a "dirty player" resulting in dumb penalties.

If signed by the Pats, I believe he must take a below market deal, as he would be after Talib and Vollmer on the list. I feel he is also a 1 year "band aid" to the Pats safety rotation, and after next year, Pats are in the same position. If he accepts a below market deal with the Pats, why wouldnt he with the Ravens?

I think the Reed rumors are a negotiating ploy on his part to up the ante on the Ravens. Fine with me, as signing Flacco and Reed will hurt the Ravens ability to upgrade elsewhere.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Throwing big money at an aged safety is a fool's errand.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from cellucci. Show cellucci's posts

Patriots already have their free safety. We need a strong safety...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

This is a pipe dream.  Reed will not be a Patriot next year.  He was amazing in his prime, but those years are well in the rear view for him.  BB won't throw big $$$ at an aging player who is becoming more and more of an injury liability, and big $$$ is what it will take to get him.

Sections
Shortcuts