Peter King insists the Patriots will "snap up" Ed Reed when the Ravens don't re-sign him....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Re: Peter King insists the Patriots will

Pats will definitely looking at free agent safties - all of them. If Reed is available, yes he is short term but he would be a great addition to the team even if he has lost a step. He would help in the DB meeting room and on the field, and could help all the young DBs.

I think probably the top of anyones list is Byrd if Buffalo doesn't franchise him. After that  ... who knows. A lot depends on how much money is being thrown around by teams at the safety position and how much it ends up costing to sign or replace Aqib.

I do think they would look at Landry as well though I suspect his pro bowl nod is going to price him out of the value the Pats would place on him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to MattC05's comment:

In response to wasecl's comment:

Too old. And the Pats haven't had much success with Ex-Ravens. Adalius Thomas anyone?

Totally different players.  You can't really compare a cornerback and a long snapper.

Lay off the Bushmills before 5 dude.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:

In response to coolade2's comment:

I don't see this happening.  if ravens don't sign him , it means he's not worth the money.  They should know ...

Not sure what price he would command at that age but major discount would be necessary to land here.

I don't think it has to do with him not being worth the money.   Flacco wants 20 mil per.  They're old.  Ray Lewis is retiring. Changes are going to be made.

That's why the speculation is there.  Plus, Reed will want to choose where he plays. He loves BB, BB loves him.

So, it makes sense. 

If Balt loses the SB, it makes even more sense from Reed's point of view.

Yeah but at what price...?  That will be the prohibitive factor.  His play has gone downhill . Hard to tell if he's even healthy.

That said, I hope to be wrong.  If BB can swing it, it would be great to have a healthy ed reed, but just too many red flags right now, IMO.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

Its more like I dont pay attention to whos a safety and whos a corner on other teams. I see a guy in coverage, hes a db, the pass is completed or its not. Since I dont have any concern over whether or not some guy would be better for may team at corner or safety (like McCourty and his issue) I simply dont care which position hes playing back there. Its all the same because you complete the pass or you dont because I think of it from the perspective of the team Im following, and dont care about who is who on the other team. If someone sacks Brady, I cant say as I pay any attention to whether hes a DL or LB, and have no idea whos gap he came through, who blew an assignment, why the play that was called enabled him to get to the QB, and why McDaniels is an idiot for calling it. I just dont analyze it that much. Now that you guys mentioned it, I remember Reed being called a safety, but I dont always pay attention to who plays which db position on other teams.

Reed is arguably the best safety of all time. Almost a crime for a fan of the game not to know his position.

Don't know how long you've been watching football, but you'll enjoy it more once you've been a fan for longer and can understand the matchups. Cornerbacks and Safeties are both defensive backs, but their defensive assignments are completely different. Football is as much a mental game as it is a physical one.

All that being siad, I don't think Reed is the answer for this team. He's an upgrade over Gregory but he's an aging center fielder...which is the type of role I would hope McCourty can one day play.

They need a hard hitter at SS. The guy that Meriweather and Chung failed to develop into. I really like a guy in the mold of Kam Chancellor. Big, physical and can cover...hard to find though

How long? About 30 years every Sunday of my life Sept-Jan/Feb. So once I've been a fan a little longer I can enjoy it more and see the matchups. Good grief, how ridiculous, some of you are blowing this out of proportion to feed your idea that you are all football coaches. I know who Ed Reed is, I know he's one of the best db's of all time, I've been watching him play his entire career. What I'm saying is I don't care about football minutia the way some posters on here do. I couldn't tell you who any of the starting corners or safeties for NY were last year in the SB. Other than Revis and Cromartie, I couldn't give you the names of any db's on other teams in the AFC East. I simply don't care who they are. I don't pay attention to whether a guy is a safety or corner when they play for the other team, it makes absolutely no difference to me as I watch the game. All I see is that Brady threw a pass to Lloyd, and Ed Reed either knocked it down, picked it off, or gave up a reception. What do I care where he came from on the play? He's simply a db, and with a guy of his skill, he might have assignments a corner usually does on many plays. In that case, how could you really tell the difference, and what would it matter? Either you schemed around him to get someone the ball or you didn't. I don't make up the matchups for my team, and don't fancy myself a coach the way most on this forum do. Me knowing what possible matchups there might be contributes nothing to my team winning because I'm not a coach. Furthermore, the talking heads on espn and nfln show these "matchups" on a weekly basis, and at least half the time they're wrong. They don't know who's going to win or what plays will happen any more than I do. Like 99.9% of NFL fans, I just watch the game. Here is the limit of my understanding of corners and safeties: As a general rule, safeties are bigger and more physical, and tend to hit harder, they are usually known as the enforcers of the secondary. Ronnie Lott is the best ever in my opinion, and I watched him play often. I could not define to you the football X and O mechanisms of what made him good at his job, I only saw that was and didn't care why. Corners are usually smaller, quicker, and generally put on the best two WR's, and are expected to have better hands. Safeties are generally there to give support over the top so corners can press the wr's in close coverage. Hence, they are called "safeties" because they provide help when certain routes are run into certain areas of the field. Nickel is 5 db's, dime is 6, and they are generally used in long yardage or obvious passing situations--leaving the defense vulnerable to the run if the offense can take advantage of it. Please correct me if I am wrong on any point. So there is the limit of my knowledge. I've been watching football for 30 years, have never attempted to learn more and never will because I don't see how knowing that McCourty blew his assignment, or Chung took too shallow an angle will be something I yell about AS THE PLAY IS HAPPENING and the receiver is streaking by the camera for a td. And I've got news for most of you on here, niether do you. You do the same thing I do. You listen to Troy Aikman telestrate the replay and show where the qb looked Chung off and changed his angle, and then you post on Monday morning that Chung has got to go, and how he got burned again as if you saw it happening in live action--even though the camera was on the qb in the pocket. And while I understand 4/3, 3/4, all these specialized defensive schemes--cover 2, Tampa 2, etc., etc., I have no idea about, and don't care. It in no way impacts my enjoyment of the game. Therefore, when I say that I don't care if Ed Reed is a corner or saftey I'm not saying I haven't been watching football and don't know what it means, I'm simply saying I don't care what position he plays. In fact, until I started this thread it never even crossed my mind what he was--or if it did I have forgotten it. When it might effect if he plays on one of my teams? Yeah, then I'll look at it, but before that is pointless.   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

i guess if you say 7 times in a post that you don't care, then it might be time to stop posting in a football forum.  it is quite possible that 90% of people on this board care about the issues they write about. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

pass on the geezer and move up and draft Matt Elam

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:

i guess if you say 7 times in a post that you don't care, then it might be time to stop posting in a football forum.  it is quite possible that 90% of people on this board care about the issues they write about. 

How does knowing Ed Reed plays safety as opposed to corner impact my life or enjoyment of the game? Think about it. How does it impact a discussion of NFL football in general or my fanhood? And how did my saying I dont care which one he was get garbled into the idea that I dont care about anything related to football? I have an IQ of 140, this stuff is not beyond my ability to understand. What makes me different is that I dont live and die by this stuff the way some guys on this forum do. There are other things I can apply my mind to that I get more good out of. I love the NFL, Ive been a fan most of my life but I dont worship it. Its a little like saying one needs to stop posting on a baseball forum because he cant take a ball in his hand and demonstrate how to throw the slider and cut fastball. I have no idea, and Ive been a baseball fan all my life. I just enjoy the game. But one thing youre right about, (and Im not taking a shot at you, Im just speaking my opinion) I have considered not posting on here anymore because of the sheer number of posters who like to act as if they know a lot more about sports and world events than they actuallly do. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to FrnkBnhm's comment:

In response to newenglanderinexile's comment:

In response to dreighver's comment:

Would look great next to McCourty. Two instinctive, rangy, athletic, and surprisingly physical safeties. If we could manage to nab Reed, and re-sign Talib, our secondary woes would come to an end.

As a safety yes, like I said in my op, that I would go for. Not sure about corner, especially if it means not signing Talib. If Reed is willing to come here and play safety, heck, go for it.

Since he has always played safety, one would assume that he would play safety if he ever joined the Patriots.

+1

If you do not realize that Ed Reed is and always has been a safety (probably the best safety in the NFL over the past ten years), it makes your other opinions on defense backs and defensive backfield play carry slightly less weight.

Its more like I dont pay attention to whos a safety and whos a corner on other teams. I see a guy in coverage, hes a db, the pass is completed or its not. Since I dont have any concern over whether or not some guy would be better for may team at corner or safety (like McCourty and his issue) I simply dont care which position hes playing back there. Its all the same because you complete the pass or you dont because I think of it from the perspective of the team Im following, and dont care about who is who on the other team. If someone sacks Brady, I cant say as I pay any attention to whether hes a DL or LB, and have no idea whos gap he came through, who blew an assignment, why the play that was called enabled him to get to the QB, and why McDaniels is an idiot for calling it. I just dont analyze it that much. Now that you guys mentioned it, I remember Reed being called a safety, but I dont always pay attention to who plays which db position on other teams.

as shocking as this is and despite the fact i smiled at franks above statement i have to back examiner here as i understand what he means...yes i know ed reed is a safety and i am pretty aware of the team and position and stats of the high profile players across the league i also am a fan like examiner: i pay big attention to my team and have more specific knowledge of some hi profile teams (pats steeleers ravens etc) but a lot of my player knowledge is general and i watch the other games as a football fan without caring too much about specifics...if i can name 5 starters on certain teams thats it, maybe 10 on others(of  the 22)...so i gotta cut him some slack here

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

Would look great next to McCourty. Two instinctive, rangy, athletic, and surprisingly physical safeties. If we could manage to nab Reed, and re-sign Talib, our secondary woes would come to an end.

As a safety yes, like I said in my op, that I would go for. Not sure about corner, especially if it means not signing Talib. If Reed is willing to come here and play safety, heck, go for it.

Since he has always played safety, one would assume that he would play safety if he ever joined the Patriots.

+1

If you do not realize that Ed Reed is and always has been a safety (probably the best safety in the NFL over the past ten years), it makes your other opinions on defense backs and defensive backfield play carry slightly less weight.

as shocking as this is and despite the fact i smiled at franks above statement i have to back examiner here as i understand what he means...yes i know ed reed is a safety and i am pretty aware of the team and position and stats of the high profile players across the league i also am a fan like examiner: i pay big attention to my team and have more specific knowledge of some hi profile teams (pats steeleers ravens etc) but a lot of my player knowledge is general and i watch the other games as a football fan without caring too much about specifics...if i can name 5 starters on certain teams thats it, maybe 10 on others(of  the 22)...so i gotta cut him some slack here

Most posters on here are like that, it's just that some of them like to play the macho thing and act like they know what's going on out there. We all know who they are--they post page after page of stuff like "yeah, but they were in cover 2 on that play you dumb troll, why did McDaniels call for a comeback route when any idiot could see that Reed was only one step off Lloyd? And Brady didn't read Pollard coming on the backside with disguised double coverage? That means "pick 6" you dullard--just what we ended up with. What's up with that? Brady is slipping man, three times he misread Baltimore's cover schemes in that second quarter, and he's lucky he didn't throw three picks. Reed fooled him at least twice, and if Gronk hadn't made an incredible snag they wouldn't even have scored the one td they did. Go learn football, then come back and talk to me in a few years." etc etc.... 

Blah blah blah. Whatever. Just watch the game. On this issue we agree.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

Personally, I would love to see Reed in Patriots uniform, but like all FA signing it will come down to money and years. If some one else is willing to give him two or three years and anything close to what he was make ($7M per) you have to pass...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Personally, I would love to see Reed in Patriots uniform, but like all FA signing it will come down to money and years. If some one else is willing to give him two or three years and anything close to what he was make ($7M per) you have to pass...

+1

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:

In response to mthurl's comment:

In response to PhatRex's comment:

If BB doesn't sign him, he surely will push up his price the way he did to Laron Landry.

LOL

Landry was running out of options. Detroit said no, NE said no as did others who didn't wnt to renta starter for 1 year. No one wants a Safety (at tht money) who can't cover either.  Roids are an ugly, ugly thing.

But, you enjoy him giving up pass after pass over the middle and leave it to you to pretend Mark Sanchez presents a challenge for him in practice, too.

Priceless.

I know!! Landry kind of reminds me of Chung, except he's bigger, stronger, can play in the box, intimidates people, and surprisingly - despite years of steriod abuse - is not as fragile. Maybe we can convince the Jets to not make him an offer...and instead just sign Chung?? That way the Jets can have our crap box safety wanna be, and we can have someone who plays like Chung (except better). Then we all can be happy - you can be happy because we have a guy like Chung and if you really miss Chung that bad, it's only a four hour ride to watch him play down in NY. It's a win win!! Sweet!! The warnings were out people!!!!!

i think we can all agree that chung is garbage, but landry isnt that much better at this point. plus, landry wouldnt have made the pats offense score more than 13 points...

Really. Crusty jr.  Some of those infamous  picks or even a pick 6 or a fumble recovery or two or three, wouldn't have helped the O score more points?  Wanna rethink that one?

How about not allowing so many, too?  Oh, yeah only good D's do that.  Nevermind!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

If BB doesn't sign him, he surely will push up his price the way he did to Laron Landry.

LOL

Landry was running out of options. Detroit said no, NE said no as did others who didn't wnt to renta starter for 1 year. No one wants a Safety (at tht money) who can't cover either.  Roids are an ugly, ugly thing.

But, you enjoy him giving up pass after pass over the middle and leave it to you to pretend Mark Sanchez presents a challenge for him in practice, too.

Priceless.

I know!! Landry kind of reminds me of Chung, except he's bigger, stronger, can play in the box, intimidates people, and surprisingly - despite years of steriod abuse - is not as fragile. Maybe we can convince the Jets to not make him an offer...and instead just sign Chung?? That way the Jets can have our crap box safety wanna be, and we can have someone who plays like Chung (except better). Then we all can be happy - you can be happy because we have a guy like Chung and if you really miss Chung that bad, it's only a four hour ride to watch him play down in NY. It's a win win!! Sweet!! The warnings were out people!!!!!

:  )))

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

+1

Most posters on here are like that, it's just that some of them like to play the macho thing and act like they know what's going on out there. We all know who they are--they post page after page of stuff like "yeah, but they were in cover 2 on that play you dumb troll, why did McDaniels call for a comeback route when any idiot could see that Reed was only one step off Lloyd? And Brady didn't read Pollard coming on the backside with disguised double coverage? That means "pick 6" you dullard--just what we ended up with. What's up with that? Brady is slipping man, three times he misread Baltimore's cover schemes in that second quarter, and he's lucky he didn't throw three picks. Reed fooled him at least twice, and if Gronk hadn't made an incredible snag they wouldn't even have scored the one td they did. Go learn football, then come back and talk to me in a few years." etc etc.... 

Blah blah blah. Whatever. Just watch the game. On this issue we agree.

Well, in a cover 2 Reed wouldn't be pressing up on Lloyd, one of the CB's would as Reed is a safety and would be responsible for a deep half. ;)

But I do have to agree that, while not needing to know all the ins and outs of defensive schemes, knowing the position of a player you're talking about wanting on the team is important. Especially since what you thought you were suggesting (moving a CB to S) is one of the big issues with the Pats D...they've been playing with too many CB's and not enough real safeties. And just saying they are a DB is not accurate...DB is a general group, Corner Back, Strong Safety and Free Safety are positions, and are all fairly unique in their style of play. 

Also, saying that nobody is able to see when Chung has blown his coverage in real time is extremely wrong. Many people need Troy to show later that he was blitzing and that it was by play design that he was out of position.

So yes, you don't need to know every roster and every formation and all that, but not knowing the position of one of the all time greats at his position is not really one of the little things. It's fairly common knowledge.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to pezz4pats's comment:

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:

LOL

Priceless.

i think we can all agree that chung is garbage, but landry isnt that much better at this point. plus, landry wouldnt have made the pats offense score more than 13 points...

Really. Crusty jr.  Some of those infamous  picks or even a pick 6 or a fumble recovery or two or three, wouldn't have helped the O score more points?  Wanna rethink that one?

How about not allowing so many, too?  Oh, yeah only good D's do that.  Nevermind!

so the defense needs a pick 6 and/or two fumble recoveries to keep the team in the game? thats not asking a ridiculous amount or anything.....i wonder why you dont have these high level of expectations for the offense....how about scoring more than 13 points? oh, yeah only good offense's do that. Nevermind!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from stewart7557. Show stewart7557's posts

Ed Reed is a class act.

I am rooting for Baltimore this Sunday for 1 reason - Ed Reed. He would have made a great Patriot. Good article on ESPN recently about him this week.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/8892504/super-bowl-xlvii-ed-reed-hiding-plain-sight

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to TFB12's comment:

What makes people think that no one else will be willing to pay Ed Reed to play football? Especially, should the Ravens win on Sunday, I would think he would go for the $$$.

Should the Ravens win the SB then I agree with you, Reed will go where the big money is.  If they lose, I would expect him to go to a team that is close to going, certainly the Pats would be a good choice for him unless he really plans on staying with the Ravens.

Rest assured that Reed is loving the speculation that he's headed to the Pats. It will serve as leverage in his next contract negotiation. If Reed moves on, my guess is that it will be to  a contending team...not just to a team that throws a ton of money at him:  http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/30/ed-reed-could-definitely-see-himself-as-a-patriot/

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

ed reed is great, but im still rooting for the niners because ed reed's greatness doesnt outweigh ray lewis, terrell suggs, and bernard pollard's doooshery.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

In response to TFB12's comment:

What makes people think that no one else will be willing to pay Ed Reed to play football? Especially, should the Ravens win on Sunday, I would think he would go for the $$$.

Should the Ravens win the SB then I agree with you, Reed will go where the big money is.  If they lose, I would expect him to go to a team that is close to going, certainly the Pats would be a good choice for him unless he really plans on staying with the Ravens.

Rest assured that Reed is loving the speculation that he's headed to the Pats. It will serve as leverage in his next contract negotiation. If Reed moves on, my guess is that it will be to  a contending team...not just to a team that throws a ton of money at him:  http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/30/ed-reed-could-definitely-see-himself-as-a-patriot/

I agree he will use the Patriots rumors as leverage in other talks. Even if he decides to limit his teams to "contenders" that still leaves other teams in the mix. 

After his talk about how he agreed that he would probably not let his sons play football, maybe he plans to walk away after this season and just doesn't want the hoopla that is surrounding Ray Lewis.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

as a fan of football, even though I am a Pats fan and season ticket holder for over 30 years, I have to give credit where credit is due, even to non Patriot players. IMO Landry had a good to very good year, and was a bargain at his salary. I would have preferred the Pats sign him over Gregory, and I believe Landry would have been the starter. I think he could have made a similar difference to the defense that Talib did. Yes, he would have been beat on coverage by many RB's and TE's, what S isnt beat, but he would not have been worse than Gregory in pass D. He would have been that enforcer the defense needed in the defensive back field.  

There is no way you're a season ticket holder for over 30 years or even 10 years.  No way. What section, row and seats? lol

Gregory had more INTs than Landry. Landry is all hype with the roids and posing.  He was interested in the biggest paycheck. He got it and will shop himself around again like the loser he is.

are you seriously going to come here and say Landry didnt have a better season than Gregory?

only you Neal, only you...seek help, please.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

My hopes continue to rise...

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4739383/reed-i-could-definitely-play-for-belichick#comment

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kansaspatriot. Show kansaspatriot's posts

LOL. No