Peter King thinks the Redskins name should be changed

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Peter King thinks the Redskins name should be changed

http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2013/august/peter-king-s-mmqb-website-won-t-use-the-term-redskins.html

Says he wont use the name "Redskins" in his articles. It will now be "Washington football team"  I guess theres something to be said about tradition.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Re: Peter King thinks the Redskins name should be changed

In response to Philskiw1's comment:

http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2013/august/peter-king-s-mmqb-website-won-t-use-the-term-redskins.html

Says he wont use the name "Redskins" in his articles. It will now be "Washington football team"  I guess theres something to be said about tradition.

Slavery was considered "tradItion" too. Would you be okay with the Detriot "Darkskins" and the San Francisco "Yellowmen"? How that survived this long is a mystery to me.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

Slavery was considered "tradItion" too. Would you be okay with the Detriot "Darkskins" and the San Francisco "Yellowmen"? How that survived this long is a mystery to me.

well then why stop there, what about the "fighting Irish" or the Celtics?  Braves, Indians, Yankees?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

They should probably think about changing thier name. This crap is getting old. If this country is ever going to become united we need to get rid of terms that plant the seeds of division.

But nowadays the Patriots would have to change their too to be more PC, because the term 'patriot is offensive to some because they think those that would fight for liberty and states rights or freedom are extremists.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

well then why stop there, what about the "fighting Irish" or the Celtics?  Braves, Indians, Yankees?

Not Celtics, I don't think anyone of celtic ancenstry is offended to have a sports team named after them. At one time they pretty much ruled western Europe.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

In response to kansaspatriot's comment:

They should probably think about changing thier name. This crap is getting old. If this country is ever going to become united we need to get rid of terms that plant the seeds of division.

But nowadays the Patriots would have to change their too to be more PC, because the term 'patriot is offensive to some because they think those that would fight for liberty and states rights or freedom are extremists.

Agree. And funny how the term patriot is now considered fringe. Amazing.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

It's the reference to skin colour (and the derogatory connotations that that particular term can have) that make the name more offensive to many than words like Braves or Chiefs or Indians. 

I think it will eventually change, though there will continue to be resistance to change because the name has such long tradition. 

I might keep the logo and change the name to something like "Warriors" . . . unless there's an even cooler actual native American word you could adopt.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

It's the reference to skin colour (and the derogatory connotations that that particular term can have) that make the name more offensive to many than words like Braves or Chiefs or Indians. 

I think it will eventually change, though there will continue to be resistance to change because the name has such long tradition. 

I might keep the logo and change the name to something like "Warriors" . . . unless there's an even cooler actual native American word you could adopt.  

Washington Warriors is cool, but  I think they are catching heat for th name and the logo. I think the logo is nice, and in no way seems to be derogatory like the Indians and old Braves logo was.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

I admit, I do get tired of our society's need to be PC about every miniscule part of our lives. I would think most people, however, could understand that the term "redskin" has historic racist undertones. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Apples and oranges, champ. Celtics aren't an offensive term for Irish people, neither is Braves or Yankees offensive to any group. As far as "fighting Irish" goes, would be interesting to see if the Irish would be okay with removing the Leprachun and replacing it with a picture of the St. Patty's day parade with real fighting Irish. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

You can thank the Right-Wing for making "Patriot" seem "fringe". Whenever they call someone a "Patriot" it usually means that person is a chickenhawk Neo-Con trying to thrust us into another war.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO f'n sick and tired of this anal idiotic politically correct crybaby whine. Change the f'n name so we can stop hearing these PC puzzies bleat about it.

This is PURE white liberal BS. Search it, Indians not only don't care but LIKE being honored by teams naming themselves after them.

Teams name themselves after COOL things! Duh! Redskins is a COOL name, not a f'n slur. ANYBODY whining about this; you are a certfiable imbecile. LMAO

9% of Indians are offended by this.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/redskins/2004-09-24-redskins-indians-poll_x.htm

When asked after the war why he had seized the machine gun and taken on an entire company of German infantry, Audie Murphy replied simply, "They were killing my friends."

http://theconservativetreehouse.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/audie-murphy-2-1.jpg

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

You can thank the Right-Wing for making "Patriot" seem "fringe". Whenever they call someone a "Patriot" it usually means that person is a chickenhawk Neo-Con trying to thrust us into another war.

LMAO@U Says you, as the left wing icon Obama tries to inject us into yet another war.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I have a Native-American friend who loves the Redskins.  They are his favorite NFL team.  If he isn't offended, neither am I.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

I have a Native-American friend who loves the Redskins.  They are his favorite NFL team.  If he isn't offended, neither am I.

I know a few Indians. Mass used to have a symbol for the pike with a Pilgrim hat that had an arrow through it. Indians LOVED that. It was an inside joke to them. Then the PC imbeciles removed it because "it painted Indians as violent". LMAO, imbeciles to the very last man.

(After UMASS changed the nickname from Redmen to Minuteman because of this same collection of turds, some of them actually cried that Minuteman was "sexist". Unbelievable.)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brady2Moss07. Show Brady2Moss07's posts

Our country is going to crAp, the redskins are a storied franchise and loved by many. It's not meant to be derogatory. If people don't like it don't watch them. You can't mention God without be attacked,either. Peter king is a p¥ssy so what do you expect.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

It's so tiring

i think tu was supposed to be a good thing!

PC will never stop. king is part of the mms, and he is of them

Funny growing up and until recently no one thought in these terms

I do wonder the genesis of them calling themselves redskins?
    Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Redskin is an offensive term. There is where the issue lies. The Celtics or Seminoles are a name of a group of people. Yankee has refered to different people through out the history of the Country. Indians and Braves are border line. Chief Wahoo is horrible.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

The larger question is whether the descendants of George Washington would want their name associated with this franchise.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

Redskin is an offensive term.

NOT to a vast majority of Indians. It is offensive to LIBERALS.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Babe, knockout pool? Still time

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Interesting in the poll I cited above....

"13% of Indians with college degrees said the name is offensive, compared with 9% of those with some college and 6% of those with a high school education or less."

Exposed to the liberal agenda found in the college atmosphere, their perceptions clearly change at a greater (but still a small minority) rate. Or do some of you think that the majority of Indians that don't find "Redskins" offensive, are just stupid? LMAO

When asked after the war why he had seized the machine gun and taken on an entire company of German infantry, Audie Murphy replied simply, "They were killing my friends."

http://theconservativetreehouse.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/audie-murphy-2-1.jpg

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Babe, knockout pool? Still time

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

No thanks. FF league is all I can handle.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Lets change the name to the middle-aged white men and put a picture of some fat, bald white guy on the helmet.  That would be more appropriate for a team from Washington anyway.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

The Washington Lobbyists

Sections
Shortcuts