Peter King thinks the Redskins name should be changed

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Re: Peter King thinks the Redskins name should be changed

In response to seawolfxs' comment:

I do wonder the genesis of them calling themselves redskins?

The term "redskins" was not a racial slur. It was synonymous with "indian". It simply described them. Calling an indian a redskin was never a demeaning term in itself. It is the PC perceptions of today that label it racist, not the original usage.

The team started in Boston as the "Braves". After moving from "Braves Field" to Fenway Park to play, they changed the name to "Redskins". Then they moved to Washington DC.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

In response to CatfishHunter's comment:

The larger question is whether the descendants of George Washington would want their name associated with this franchise.

Lol

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Cultural norms change.  Redskin is now perceived to be offensive by many.  Eventually the name will be changed. The Bullets became the Wizards, so maybe the Redskins can become the Witches. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In response to 49Patriots' comment:

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

In response to kansaspatriot's comment:

They should probably think about changing thier name. This crap is getting old. If this country is ever going to become united we need to get rid of terms that plant the seeds of division.

But nowadays the Patriots would have to change their too to be more PC, because the term 'patriot is offensive to some because they think those that would fight for liberty and states rights or freedom are extremists.

Agree. And funny how the term patriot is now considered fringe. Amazing.

You can thank the Right-Wing for making "Patriot" seem "fringe". Whenever they call someone a "Patriot" it usually means that person is a chickenhawk Neo-Con trying to thrust us into another war.

yeah, but it's the liberals who are trying to redefine what a "patriot" is, and what extremists are-and those same liberals support terrorists in syria that call themselves rebels and go into christian villages and kill the inhabitants.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

The team started in Boston as the "Braves". After moving from "Braves Field" to Fenway Park to play, they changed the name to "Redskins". Then they moved to Washington DC.

Babe, watch some PC liberal blame it all on Boston.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Lets change the name to the middle-aged white men and put a picture of some fat, bald white guy on the helmet.  That would be more appropriate for a team from Washington anyway.  

So the Washington Mt Hurls?

Doesn't quite have the ring to it should.

Rofl

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

The term "redskins" was not a racial slur. It was synonymous with "indian". It simply described them. Calling an indian a redskin was never a demeaning term in itself. It is the PC perceptions of today that label it racist, not the original usage.

Thanks and rusty too on Oklahoma

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Section136. Show Section136's posts

Yes, interesting stuff, for sure. I'm still waiting to hear from American Indians on the subject. If several tribal leaders came forward to express their displeassure with the name, then I'd be on board big time. But hearing a bunch of self important middle aged white guys....yeah, no!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

They should probably think about changing thier name. This crap is getting old. If this country is ever going to become united we need to get rid of terms that plant the seeds of division.

But nowadays the Patriots would have to change their too to be more PC, because the term 'patriot is offensive to some because they think those that would fight for liberty and states rights or freedom are extremists.

I could careless whether they change the name or not. But please don't tell me you believe changing a football team name will help unite this country please tell me your not that naive. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

PC = BS=intolerance= bleeding hearts.

By today's standards "the greatest generation vets" are all war criminals.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Section136. Show Section136's posts

In response to Section136's comment:

Yes, interesting stuff, for sure. I'm still waiting to hear from American Indians on the subject. If several tribal leaders came forward to express their displeassure with the name, then I'd be on board big time. But hearing a bunch of self important middle aged white guys....yeah, no!

I actually agree. If the majority of Native Americans feel it should be changed and they are literally offended to the point it affects their lives, then fine. Change it. Change it to the Skins and let's get on with it.

I am tired of hearing about such a non-important real life thing.

We got wars, terrorism, a crap economy, etc.

Nice perspective....kinda silly when you think about it. When you watch Syrian children foaming at the mouth and dying a slow agonizing death or the faces of school children slaughtered in Connecticut...who gives a flying you know what about a football team's brand.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Section136. Show Section136's posts

I actually agree. If the majority of Native Americans feel it should be changed and they are literally offended to the point it affects their lives, then fine. Change it. Change it to the Skins and let's get on with it.

I am tired of hearing about such a non-important real life thing.

We got wars, terrorism, a crap economy, etc.

Nice perspective....kinda silly when you think about it. When you watch Syrian children foaming at the mouth and dying a slow agonizing death or the faces of school children slaughtered in Connecticut...who gives a flying you know what about a football team's brand.

Kick off - psyched....well, speaking of unimportant stuff!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In response to stan17's comment:

I could careless whether they change the name or not. But please don't tell me you believe changing a football team name will help unite this country please tell me your not that naive. 

no changing a name won't unite us, but 's it attitude's like yours that make it impossible

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Section136. Show Section136's posts

no changing a name won't unite us, but 's it attitude's like yours that make it impossible

No, it's folks like you who relentlessly pursue devisive agenda's that make that impossible. I never even thought about this until it became an issue. I think the logo is majestic! Not insulting at all. I am of Irish descent and - do some reearch on what my ancestors encountered upon their arrival. Do some research on what Italian Americans faced. But we are white - so no harm no foul!? If American Indians aren't upset about this - how dare you...don't you understand that your speaking for them is worse than what you are b#tching about? As if they are unable to spesk for themselves? How presumptious of you that they are helpless to defend themselves. Hypocrite!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Lol keep believing fool.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

[/QUOTE]

No, it's folks like you who relentlessly pursue devisive agenda's that make that impossible. I never even thought about this until it became an issue. I think the logo is majestic! Not insulting at all. I am of Irish descent and - do some reearch on what my ancestors encountered upon their arrival. Do some research on what Italian Americans faced. But we are white - so no harm no foul!? If American Indians aren't upset about this - how dare you...don't you understand that your speaking for them is worse than what you are b#tching about? As if they are unable to spesk for themselves? How presumptious of you that they are helpless to defend themselves. Hypocrite!!!

[/QUOTE]

LOL. Folks like me. Come on down to Oklahoma and call a Chickasaw, a Choctaw or a Cherokee a redskin and i hope they kick your dumbassss.

I'm the frist to cry foul with the current discrimination against us whites, but as conservative as I am, i hope for a day when we can refer to urselves as Americans, and not hyphenated-Americans, that's what's dividing us-the liberal agenda.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Lets change the name to the middle-aged white men and put a picture of some fat, bald white guy on the helmet.  That would be more appropriate for a team from Washington anyway.  

I'd be honored.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

In response to Philskiw1's comment:

In response to Philskiw1's comment:

http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2013/august/peter-king-s-mmqb-website-won-t-use-the-term-redskins.html

Says he wont use the name "Redskins" in his articles. It will now be "Washington football team"  I guess theres something to be said about tradition.

Slavery was considered "tradItion" too. Would you be okay with the Detriot "Darkskins" and the San Francisco "Yellowmen"? How that survived this long is a mystery to me.

well then why stop there, what about the "fighting Irish" or the Celtics?  Braves, Indians, Yankees?

Redskin is an offensive term.

NOT to a vast majority of Indians. It is offensive to LIBERALS.

It is super offensive. Who says it isn't? Do you call your black friends darkies? As a matter of fact the Oneonta are buying ads durIng the Redskins game telling people it is bad. You can't just say it is liberals, it is a racist term. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Stop comparing yourself to other ethnic groups, Italians, Irish and Eastern Europeans are all white. It's hard to discriminate against another white person unless you know their last name or they open their mouth. Once an Irish/Italian American loses his native accent, by the second generation, they assimilate into mainstream American culture. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to TSWFAN's comment:

PC = BS=intolerance= bleeding hearts.

By today's standards "the greatest generation vets" are all war criminals.

Actually, WW2 saw the most honorable military in American history. That was a time when we actually adhered to code of conduct in war. Vietnam was filled with war criminals, or are we supposed to celebrate America's scourched earth policy in 'Nam? What about Nepalm bombs?

gimme a break.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheSalmon. Show TheSalmon's posts

Someone somewhere is offended... So let's change everything.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

"Negro" wasn't a racial slur either, but you wouldn't call a black person that today, would you? 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheSalmon. Show TheSalmon's posts

use a picture of Peter King

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Agree. And funny how the term patriot is now considered fringe. Amazing.

You can thank the Right-Wing for making "Patriot" seem "fringe". Whenever they call someone a "Patriot" it usually means that person is a chickenhawk Neo-Con trying to thrust us into another war.

yeah, but it's the liberals who are trying to redefine what a "patriot" is, and what extremists are-and those same liberals support terrorists in syria that call themselves rebels and go into christian villages and kill the inhabitants.

Hello, I'm a Liberal, love America and our Pats. As far as Syria goes, I think Obama should've shut his mouth and not committed the U.S. to something he wasn't positive he wanted to get involved in. But don't blame the left alone for saber rattling,  John McCain and Lindsey Graham have been calling for boots on the ground the entire time. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeritasMD. Show VeritasMD's posts

Don't native americans have any other issues to address?  This is their most pressing problem?

I'm at the point where I hope the Redskins change their name just to shut them up.  A lot of complaining about nothing. 

They should become the Washington Casino Owners. 

Sections
Shortcuts