Peter King

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan1033. Show Patsfan1033's posts

Re: Peter King

Yea, read his article earlier and was thinking the same thing...he's getting the Tom Jackson treatment and deservedly so!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

What you read as dire straits, I read as thin at receiver. 

How many rookies regularly start each season for the pats?  Isn't that what the TE's are with the exception of Crumpler? 

God forbid anyone write anything that can be construed as questioning or critical of the pats.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bradleyBliss. Show bradleyBliss's posts

In Response to Re: Peter King:
    What you read as dire straits, I read as thin at receiver.  How many rookies regularly start each season for the pats?  Isn't that what the TE's are with the exception of Crumpler?  God forbid anyone write anything that can be construed as questioning or critical of the pats.
    Posted by underdoggggg

Actually doggiedodo that isn't what they are criticising or observing about PK. What they mean is that he doesn't know enough about the young, but very real talent of the recent draft picks over the last two years or so. We are truly thin at OLB, but we are quite deep at WR. PK used to know the Patriots in depth. He doesn't seem to do so now.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

In Response to Re: Peter King : Actually doggiedodo that isn't what they are criticising or observing about PK. What they mean is that he doesn't know enough about the young, but very real talent of the recent draft picks over the last two years or so. We are truly thin at OLB, but we are quite deep at WR. PK used to know the Patriots in depth. He doesn't seem to do so now.
    Posted by bradleyBliss

I think the concern is that the "quite deep" part is largely unproven rookies at this point.  Looks like we could be starting 2 rookie TE's, 1 rookie reciever, and have the 4th reciever as a rookie as well. 

If these guys turn out to be a Chad Jackson or Bethal Johnson, we could be in serious trouble.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

It's not bad to be starting rookies if they can play. The Pats appear to have done an excellent job in the draft this year..Spikes, Gronk, Hernandez, Mesko, McCourty. These guys can play. Parcells used to say, " It's not throwing them to the wolves if they are one of the Wolves". We got a few wolves this year and we should unleash them.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ebuddha. Show ebuddha's posts

Familiarity breeds contempt? Seems as though ever since King moved to Boston, he's not very welcome down there. Ironic that the city in which he makes his home, is the one he seems to know least about (in an NFL sense).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

I heard Edelman only has "potential".  So, yeah, this WR group could be in serious trouble.
    Posted by russgriswold

Yes Chad Jackson had "potential" too.  Bethal Johnson had "potential" too.  Funny with those rose colored glasses you only see the good and never the bad.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

How is it critical when it's completely off base?  If you are critical, at least have a leg to stand on. Get it? Patten can still play right now if he wanted to. He decided to retire because he has young kids blowing by him in camp. This is a good thing.  Not a bad thing. Again, the media looks for a name on the shirt they recognize AND King also conveniently leaves out Edelman, Tate and the TEs. Hey, Peter, name me Brady's best TEs in his career here.  Yeah, that's what I thought. This is my point. You call it "thin", I call it DEEP at WR.  Very deep.   He mentions Price, but mysteriously leaves out a VERY impressive Julian Edelman and a eye popping Tate. This is BETTER THAN ANYTHING BRADY HAS HAD HIS ENTIRE CAREER INCLUDING 2007.  IN 2007, he had Stallworth who was not even used after Week 6 because that's how deadly that offense was. Now, he has 3 TEs being brought in here, Moss/Welker, Edelman and a young Tate? This is thin? I get Tate has never played 16 games in his career before.  Neither has Price.  If this is thin, what is Indy's WR corps?  "Quite thin"? Wayne = Moss Gonzalez = Welker Garcon = Tate Collie = Edelman I am using "=" here to serve the purpose of what each WR represents in terms of quality for each team. Obviously, I think Moss />Wayne, Welker />Gonzalez, I'd put Garcon />Tate and I feel Edelman />Collie. So, really, how thin is this WR corps here? Note how Jeff Saturday just had surgery and is rehabbing, but where is the media on this?  Wouldn't that be a possible problem for Manning? I think it would.  Ugoh has been moved to Guard. That's a new position for him. Note how when Kazcur moves inside, gets hurt, etc, it's a gloom and doom media sensation. When a draft bust by Polian like Ugoh moves inside, there is no real mention of it. And I am not even mentioning the O  Line in general for Indy that seems to have some serious problems.  Didn't Howard Mudd retire, too??? I'll keep saying this until I am proven wrong, but NE is held to a different standard because of an agenda the media has created against NE. This is a constant thing.  Another example is the Brady and Manning contracts. If you were a casual NFL fan, you'd think ONLY Bob Kraft is being "cheap" and looking to trade Brady, not Irsay and the Colts. And, I don't care if Irsay said he wants Manning to be the highest paid QB. Kraft says he wants Brady to retire a Patriot and the media ignores it and creates more lies.  It's incredible. Another example right there.  It's one thing to be critical, but to leave out contexts and facts on purpose proves there is an agenda.
    Posted by russgriswold

Good post, Russ. I've always thought of Peter King as a blowhard with very little credibility.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

How is it critical when it's completely off base?  If you are critical, at least have a leg to stand on. Get it? Patten can still play right now if he wanted to. He decided to retire because he has young kids blowing by him in camp. This is a good thing.  Not a bad thing. Again, the media looks for a name on the shirt they recognize AND King also conveniently leaves out Edelman, Tate and the TEs. Hey, Peter, name me Brady's best TEs in his career here.  Yeah, that's what I thought. This is my point. You call it "thin", I call it DEEP at WR.  Very deep.   He mentions Price, but mysteriously leaves out a VERY impressive Julian Edelman and a eye popping Tate. This is BETTER THAN ANYTHING BRADY HAS HAD HIS ENTIRE CAREER INCLUDING 2007.  IN 2007, he had Stallworth who was not even used after Week 6 because that's how deadly that offense was. Now, he has 3 TEs being brought in here, Moss/Welker, Edelman and a young Tate? This is thin? I get Tate has never played 16 games in his career before.  Neither has Price.  If this is thin, what is Indy's WR corps?  "Quite thin"? Wayne = Moss Gonzalez = Welker Garcon = Tate Collie = Edelman I am using "=" here to serve the purpose of what each WR represents in terms of quality for each team. Obviously, I think Moss />Wayne, Welker />Gonzalez, I'd put Garcon />Tate and I feel Edelman />Collie. So, really, how thin is this WR corps here? Note how Jeff Saturday just had surgery and is rehabbing, but where is the media on this?  Wouldn't that be a possible problem for Manning? I think it would.  Ugoh has been moved to Guard. That's a new position for him. Note how when Kazcur moves inside, gets hurt, etc, it's a gloom and doom media sensation. When a draft bust by Polian like Ugoh moves inside, there is no real mention of it. And I am not even mentioning the O  Line in general for Indy that seems to have some serious problems.  Didn't Howard Mudd retire, too??? I'll keep saying this until I am proven wrong, but NE is held to a different standard because of an agenda the media has created against NE. This is a constant thing.  Another example is the Brady and Manning contracts. If you were a casual NFL fan, you'd think ONLY Bob Kraft is being "cheap" and looking to trade Brady, not Irsay and the Colts. And, I don't care if Irsay said he wants Manning to be the highest paid QB. Kraft says he wants Brady to retire a Patriot and the media ignores it and creates more lies.  It's incredible. Another example right there.  It's one thing to be critical, but to leave out contexts and facts on purpose proves there is an agenda.
    Posted by russgriswold

First - you said exactly what I think King might have been saying.  Name your proven pass catchers (I said WR but TE's should be included).  I've got three and I am not including Crumpler.  Brady Moss Edelman.  Who else is proven? 

The colts were in a similar situation last year with the loss of Harrison (not a big loss as he had declined big time in 2 years) and then gonzalez in the first game.  And the colts were picked by many to actually miss the playoffs last year.  Thankfully, Garcon and Collie stepped up, but no one knew they would.  You may be right, there may be pass catching depth by bodies, but not proven pass catching depth.  That does not mean they won't prove themselves, but they haven't yet. 

As for media attention - 1) you pay more attention to the media comments about the pats.  There are comments made about the colts.  I just assume you don't look for them as thoroughly.  2) is the attention on Indy as bright as it is for NE?  Probably not.  Indy is a small market team.  You'd think with them in the SB last year you'd hear more about them, but you don't.  I attribute some of that to the market.  3) I think the colts are boring for the media.  You don't get much from the colts.  Jim Caldwell may be a worse quote than Belichick, not because he is trying to hide more, but because he is so cliche. 

NE is not held to a different standard, they are simply a bigger market (top 10), and they've had more questions/stories over the past 3 years than the colts.  08 - overcoming SB loss after undefeated RS.  09- Brady comeback, seymour trade.  10- horrible playoff loss, defensive questions, Mankins holdout.

So do think Silver was lying when he wrote that article about Brady being upset?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ebuddha. Show ebuddha's posts

In Response to Re: Peter King : Yes Chad Jackson had "potential" too.  Bethal Johnson had "potential" too.  Funny with those rose colored glasses you only see the good and never the bad.
    Posted by Patsman2

Neither of those guys had the NCAA production of Tate and Price, did they? Just thinking that off the top of my head, could be proven way wrong with some stats.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

In Response to Re: Peter King : Neither of those guys had the NCAA production of Tate and Price, did they? Just thinking that off the top of my head, could be proven way wrong with some stats.
    Posted by ebuddha

I think Jackson did.  But college production is no guarentee to translate to pro production.  I am not saying these guys are going to be busts, just that at this point their unproven.  How can you not be alittle nervous when a good portion of your pass attack (2 TE's, #2 and #4 reciever) are rookies that have yet to take a single snap in a regular season game.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

Further thoughts - Assuming Welker and their draft pick are not ready to go early in the season (per pk), the pats will start the season with Moss, Edelman, (some unproven 3rd), and a new tight end (either proven and old or unproven, but regardless, new to the system). 

If this is the way the season starts - By appearence the pats receiving game will start worse off than they were last year.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

Why assume Welker won't be ready to go when all indications seem to be that he will?  What draft pick - Price?  He's been practicing, why wouldn't he be ready?  Looked ready yesterday.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

Further thoughts - Assuming Welker and their draft pick are not ready to go early in the season (per pk), the pats will start the season with Moss, Edelman, (some unproven 3rd), and a new tight end (either proven and old or unproven, but regardless, new to the system).  If this is the way the season starts - By appearence the pats receiving game will start worse off than they were last year.  
    Posted by underdoggggg

I take this as the point of the thread, PK is writing from the assumption you state above. If he is right or wrong is irrelevent, it's the fact that he didn't state both sides of the case to allow the reader have a full perspective and form there own opinion. ( ie could Edleman or Tate actually step up ). Now did he exclude the aformentioned WR's on purpose because there unproven or is it becuase of a lack of knowledge in regard to the Pats? and if it is lack of knowledge, why bother to continue to read the words of the uninformed. Should he even be writing if such is the case.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

Tas - I said that.  First, the colts were picked by many last year to not even make the playoffs.  Many thought the loss of Harrison would negatively effect the colts.  Then in the first game Gonzalez went down.  Everyone thought we were doomed because we did not have proven pass catchers.  We were fortunate that our unproven guys came through, but that did not mean that the questions weren't valid. 

The same goes for the pats if Welker does not start the season.  If you see King's comments differently then you are just being sensitive.  With rookies and unproven players you can only hope for the best, you can't know ahead of time that they will actually pan out. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

Further thoughts - Assuming Welker and their draft pick are not ready to go early in the season (per pk), the pats will start the season with Moss, Edelman, (some unproven 3rd), and a new tight end (either proven and old or unproven, but regardless, new to the system).  If this is the way the season starts - By appearence the pats receiving game will start worse off than they were last year.  
    Posted by underdoggggg

Well appearences can be deiciving.  Just like you can't say there better off, you cant say their worse off either (even if only saying appreance).  There UNPROVEN at this point.  Time will tell if their better or worse off.

Not sure it could get any worse then Galloway last year anyway thou. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

Patsman - I said that only based on the assumption of Welker being out.  He may not be, and even if he is, he will be back.  My only point is that King is simply saying there are questions with the situation, but some here think he is disparaging the team.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

I'm just surprised and happy with the way the WR's and TE's are already working. They looked quite good the other night and very in-Sync for the opening game. They will only get better from here and that is certainly not an area of concern for me.I'm looking forward to seeing them tear Atlanta a new one this week.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from threejak. Show threejak's posts

Conjecture at it's best....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

In Response to Re: Peter King : Right, but Edelman only has "potential"?  You do realize the only thing that held him back from an even more impressive rookie season was some guy named Wes Welker and the fact he broke his arm, correct???? How is me really liking Edelman's progression and skill set here wearing "rose colored glasses"??? Maybe because the bad is minimal and far less than 80% of other organizations, I don't see the point in really mentioning it???? This is why people suspect you as a troll.
    Posted by russgriswold

What does edelmans progession have to do with how tate or price progress? any more then how Jackson and Johnson did not progess have to do with tate or price?

You mention ONLY edelman like every rookie will progress like he did. Thats NOT the case.

Plus no one was even discussing edelman.  They have Moss at #1, assuming welker is healthy, he is in the slot.  Edelman is welkers backup in the slot unless you are suggesting using him as the #2?  If not, you are starting two rookie TE's (maybe Grumpler starts but he would only block), a rookie at #2 (Price or Tate), and have a rookie as #4 (Price or Tate).

Thats alot of Rookies. So I dont think its being a troll for saying there is some uncertainty there and alittle worrisome.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

Tate is not a rookie

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

Tate is not a rookie
    Posted by 123meg

LOL ok what did he play 1 game and like 3 snaps? I stand corrected.  There is NO uncertainty there.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggggg. Show underdoggggg's posts

In Response to Re: Peter King : Please post the article by Silver that states Brady is upset . This is exactly what I am talking about. I have yet to see any proof that Brady said he was ticked off. Didn't Silver write about how it is overblown and Brady will have a big year? NE is definitely a bigger market than Indy is, but that is not the point. Manning is as big a name as Brady, so from a general NFL fan interest concept, both names should be included in discussing long term, high end deals. This is not the case. For every Manning artice there are at least 5 other Brady articles. Pats fans don't need to see 1,000 Brady/Contract articles over and over. It's old news and most sane Pats fans know he isn't going anywhere, nor is Manning.
    Posted by russgriswold

Russ - this was the article Silver wrote and the one that started the firestorm. 

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-trippinwednesday060210

based on things I have read, Silver seems to know what he is talking about and when questioned about his article, he stood by it. 

Here's an article from one of your local's saying that based on Brady's actions Silver must have been right. 

http://www.necn.com/08/12/10/Felger-Brady-exclusive-with-Michael-Silv/v1_landing_patriots.html?blockID=288608&feedID=3352

Now why hasn't peyton endured the same firestorm.  I'll tell you its because he hasn't told a reporter that he was upset that nothing had gotten done.  I'd also say its because at the time of the Superbowl the owner of the colts publicly said Manning would be the highest paid player in the NFL. 

That said, there have been plenty of reports linking the two with regard to their contract situations.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

Two actually, plus preseason.  This is his second full offseason/training camp. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

Two actually, plus preseason.  This is his second full offseason/training camp. 
    Posted by 123meg

Wait, he was hurt in college and put on the PUP list before the season (the one you have to miss the first 6 games).  So, he wasnt in any preason games or practices.

I think he was active for 2 games, but only actually got into 1 game and then for just a few snaps.

Either way my point is he is still an unproven guy at this point.  Coming off a knee injury, makes it even more so.

Sections
Shortcuts