Peter King's Free Agent List

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

Peter King's Free Agent List

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/03/08/top.50.free.agents/index.html?sct=nfl_t11_a0

Can't help but notice his comment about free agent #2...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wmasschilly. Show wmasschilly's posts

Re: Peter King's Free Agent List

unfortunately Mario's probably not listening to Peter King---it is going to be interesting to see what his market is though, I haven't heard much buzz about other teams likely to make a play--you?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brawny27. Show Brawny27's posts

In response to "Peter King's Free Agent List":
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/03/08/top.50.free.agents/index.html?sct=nfl_t11_a0 Can't help but notice his comment about free agent #2... Posted by TitleTown11
    Mario would be an awesome addition for the Patriots but will he take a pay cut!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

We get Mario, and V jack.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Another take on Mario, from Gregg Rosenthal of Rotoworld:

"On Mario, I went back to watch three Mario Williams games to see if it made any sense for the Texans to give him a big deal despite their 3-4 defense. My sense is that he fits Wade Phillips’ scheme just fine. But he’s still not worth it for Houston.

Williams split snaps evenly with his hand down and standing up. He rarely dropped into coverage. (I counted four times in 2.5 games.) He is always on the line of scrimmage; so calling him a linebacker seems silly. Williams is valuable because he can line up on either side of the defense and he often draws double teams. But in the games he played last year, Williams was no bigger difference-maker than J.J. Watt, Connor Barwin, or even Antonio Smith.

Charley Casserly’s prized pick beat Dallas Clark of the Colts for two sacks and Steelers rookie Marcus Gilbert for two more. (One of those Gilbert did a nice job but Big Ben ran into the sack.) Williams also disappeared against the Saints and for a long stretch against Pittsburgh. (Although Mario had a huge second half against the Steelers.) Williams can be attacked in the running game.

Seattle would be my prediction for where Williams ends up. It makes more sense for him to have his hand on the ground most plays. Houston is a team defense with a lot of working parts. They don’t need Williams. Williams stands out physically, but he’s just one key piece to the puzzle there. He doesn’t show up every game.  Williams has racked up sack totals over the years, but I’m not convinced he’s the every-down difference maker that he should be considering he’s likely to become the game’s highest paid defensive player.

This isn’t Reggie White or even Julius Peppers in his prime.  He may not be a top-five defensive end."

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Out of the 50 top free agents by King, there are 31 teams that have a player on that list...we are the only ones that don't have a single player there. This either means we do a magnificent job locking guys up, or we haven't drafted enough good players over the last previous 4-5 seasons that people want them as top guys in free agency.

It's funny but over the last few seasons I didn't look at the players that were going to become free agents from us and think, wow how are we going to keep all these good players? We had some...Wilfork, Mankins and now Welker, but it wasn't like you could sit there and say, how are we going to keep our shut down corner, or our our dominant pass rusher, or our franchise runner? How can we possibly keep our pro bowl safety and big time wideout? Realistically losing Mankins wouldn't of killed us...the guy is a guard.

I'm leaning towards this not being a good thing that there isn't 3-5 guys that are so good that we may not be able to sign. In a couple of years we may say that about Hernandez and Gronk, but I'm not sure there's much else at this point. WE did resign Mayo, but was there going to be teams lining up to throw 40 million on a linebacker that isn't very insinctive in coverage and doesn't rush the passer? Maybe there was?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Three days until free agency, still no cap number

wholefoodsGetty Images

Teams have been wondering for more than a week when (and perhaps now the better word is “if”) the 2012 salary cap numbers will be revealed.  Free agency starts in three days, and the team-by-team spending limit still hasn’t been disclosed.

So what’s going on?

“We’re still working out cap details with the union,” NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said via email Saturday morning.  “The teams will receive the numbers as soon as everything is completed.”

Though no one is commenting on the details, multiple sources have informed PFT over the past week that an effort has been undertaken to increase the cap number.  Under the new CBA, total player salary and benefits come from a total pot.  Benefit costs came in higher than expected, which drove down the money available for the cap.

As of last Saturday, the parties were “scrambling” to work it out.  We’d hate to see how long this would take if they 

Sections
Shortcuts