Peter Kings, Team of the decade

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

Re: Peter Kings, Team of the decade

In Response to Re: Peter Kings, Team of the decade:
    In Response to Re: Peter Kings, Team of the decade : So if you believe Manning is better than aren't you not giving the proper credit to the Colts Defense?  Despite what many think, the Colts have had better defenses this decade than the Pats including the 1st ranked defense in 2007, and 2nd ranked defense in 2005. 
    Posted by shenanigan

Depends on what you are looking at as far as stats are concerned.  If you poll people who either played in the NFL during this decade or make a living watching the NFL, I don't think any of them would suggest that the colts had a better defense than the pats.  None. 

Under the same scenario, when comparing Manning and Brady, you will have a difference of opinion.  King's opinion is that Manning is better.  Sporting News polled a bunch (100?) writers and former and current players on this subject and the experts picked Manning. 

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/2009-09-09/sporting-news-nfl-top-100-peyton-manning-no-1-on-our-experts-list

Its an age old debate.  I am just happy that the teams have the #1 and #2 players

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

my NEGAME you've been a posting fool.

So the fight continues Brady, Manning or Manning, Brady.  Me personally, I don't care.  We are always in the race for the SB.  Even this year writers are saying don't count the Pats out.  Do they say the same about the Colts?  No.  It's all about the playoffs.  Let Manning have the season accolades that are the crumbs from the table where champions feed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sam-Adams. Show Sam-Adams's posts

The one thing I know and can't be disputed is the term "dynasty" and I never heard it in reference to the Colts. 
    It's the same comparison as Montana and Marino/Elway/Kelly and time has done well for all of them. The only difference is who won more SB's period. That's why they do everything they do in the NFL, to win that trophy and TB has that hands down.
    Every other statistical dispute means nothing. Is Manning great, absolutely. Is he going to Canton, no brainer. Is he better than TB this past decade no, he lost 3-1. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME. Show NEGAME's posts

What --if-- Brady had played 50% and more of his games in a dome, had the same coaches for 10 years and had Randy Moss as a receiver since 2001 then what.  that's why Manning does not impress me

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Brady is Joe Montana. Manning is Dan Marino with one ring. If there is a big game I want Brady under center and if want to win my fantasy football league I take Manning. Although, I took Brady in 2007 and won anyway (had Welker too)i. Manning has had slightly better weapons (still have not seen Wayne or Harrison play DB so Troy Brown is still the man). The only thing that bothers me is this argument comes up once every two weeks or whenever some chimp in the media decides that one QB is clearly better than the other and here's their awesome statistical proof. Brady still has a great post-season record and that's really all I care about. Wins.

Have a Merry Christmas everyone !

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptainZdeno33. Show CaptainZdeno33's posts

This debate will go on forever... there's no right and wrong to this question obviously everyone will have their own opinions.  In my opinion I honestly don't care which one is better I'm just enjoying being able to watch 2 of the greatest quarterbacks of all-time week in and week out.  

Just one more thing, game, you don't have to like Manning but if he doesn't impress you as a quarterback then you should go back and study up a little more on the game of football.  Manning is an incredible quarterback who ranks right up there with the all-time greats.  Lets hope we get to see Brady-Manning Round II this season!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Norger. Show Norger's posts

Agreed with Captain Z.  Why should anyone really care about some sports writer's phony award?  Watch the games, if either team wins it all, that team's fans have the last laugh this year.  Don't like Manning, never have, partly because he plays for a hated rival, partly because of the Peyton pout when he loses/chokes.  He is a great QB, though.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

Underdoggg, you are usually well informed, but this statement is ludicrous - the Patriots have not run the same offense from day one with Brady at QB - for better or worse their philosphy has been far different from 2007 - 2009 than it was from Brady's beginning until 2007

I think you are wrong.  See this link. 
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_England_Patriots_strategy
    The play calling may be different, but the system really is not. 

This arguement is no different than the Marino/Montana debate of the late 80's.......at the end of the day you play the game to win the trophy.....Peter King fails to mention the 2 ( very easily could have been 3) SB MVP trophies that Brady has won

Superbowl trophies are team trophies.  Comparing Manning and Brady only by this criteria invalidates the other 52 on the roster and the coaching staff which is ludicrous.   

Sam - you are absolutely right.  The pats of the 00's are a dynasty as a team.  This is what pats fans always hang their hats on - team.  The colts don't have that.

Game- I'll bet Peyton would like to have Moss as a receiver since 2001.  On a related note, it looks like Manning is going to win MVP with 4th rd rookie Austin Collie and 6th rd Mt Union Alum Pierre Garcon.  That has to mean something.

At the end of it all, as you all know, I think Manning is the better QB.  I think Brady is more physically talented, but not as good overall.  I also think I wish (and I'm sure Manning does to) Indy had the rings NE does.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

The decade (if you inlcude the season through to the Super Bowl) is not yet over...stay tuned, Tom could make this argument moot, or Peyton could make it legitimate.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALLDAWAYPATS. Show ALLDAWAYPATS's posts

"Game- I'll bet Peyton would like to have Moss as a receiver since 2001.  On a related note, it looks like Manning is going to win MVP with 4th rd rookie Austin Collie and 6th rd Mt Union Alum Pierre Garcon.  That has to mean something." by UNDERDOGGGG

I understand that you are trying to make a point that Manning doesn't have the weapons that he has had in the past, but please.  He still has Reggie Wayne (who is a hell of a WR) and Dallas Clark.  To me these two are equal to Moss and Welker.  So, Austin Collie=Edelman (tie?) Garcon=Aiken (Advantage Garcon). 

Peyton way wish he had Moss, but he did have Harrison, while Brady had Caldwell and ummmmm...........

I don't think that Manning is a lock for MVP this year either.  Although he is the ESPN favorite, I think a case could be made for C. Johnson and D Brees, maybe even Charles Woodson.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubbazilla. Show bubbazilla's posts

king admitted to just being a bit provocative on that, kind of like a choir contrarian... when questioned on eei. indicated it was kind of a flip of a coin and he would have no beef going with brady either.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

Manning is pretty cool to watch, from a fan's POV.  He is brilliant at calling adjustments.

However, there have been countless assists to his stats by the officials.  he should have been off of the field a lot more if not for inumerable phantom P/I calls that extended drives, padded yardage and T/D numbers and led to unwarranted wins.  Simply put, he has his talents, but we will never know how good he really was because of all this assistance.

In contrast, with few exceptions, Brady has been hindered by hostile officiating since 2005.  I will never forget the Ravens game in 2007, when the zebras let the Ravens manhandle the Pats' receivers for all but the last five+ minutes of the game. And when they fianlly started calling the P/I and holding that had been gong on all game, the Ravens and a rabid sports media called "foul".  It was sickening. And yet, the Pats still won.  I am convinced this has all occurred because the league is/was loathe to have the Pats win a fourth, fifth and maybe evena sixth SB within the decade, lest the non-Pats fans retreat to the NBA, NHL and (gasp) figure skating. Hence the P/I call against the Pats in the Broncos game that was not, and the safety on Baily that was never called; the ridiculous multiple pahntom P/Is called in the 2006 AFCC, and the even the questionable non-calls for o-line holding by the Giants in their SB win (though in the former case, not as flagrant).

Bottom line, put Brady indoors at home for his career, take away Manning's assistance from the Striped-ones and you don't even have a contest.  Heck, I have watched four Colts' game this season and in each one the Colts got at least two insane P/I calls in their favor on 3rd down when the passes were incomplete, and all extending scoring drives.  Had Brady and Manning been allowed to play by the same rules, Manning looks good, not great. I think that says it all.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nickelbean. Show nickelbean's posts

Obviousy Manning has better stats.  Look at his recievers, Marvin Harrison- 1st ballot HOF, Reggie Wayne- probably a HOF.  look at brady's recievers before the last couple of years:  Deon Branch, Jabar Gaffney.  If brady played for the colts he would have 5+ rings.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

PK is a big DA, even the DA old coach of the Colts says stats don't mean squat, its wins, and the wins he's means is the last win, Super bowl wins.

everyone in the business knows what team of the decade means, it means whos'on the most championships. apparently he's doesn't know crap.

hey in the 60's Johnny U was the best QB and had the stats to back it up, but the Packers won the most championships that decade, and Bart Starr was not a stat driven QB, the packers were the team of that decade.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

I thought the TD the refs gave Gaffney in the AFCCG was pretty favorable. 

Chris - your post sounds exactly like a colts fan complaining about the pats in the 04 afccg. 

Nickel - Brady's great but he would have been no better than Manning with the colts defense.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Did that guy just refer to Tom Brady as a whiner in a comparison with Petyon Manning?

Pot -- have you met kettle?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Steelcurtain75. Show Steelcurtain75's posts

Both great Qb's! To be honest, I'd have to flip a coin! That's how good I think both of them are. The only other QB I would put in their category would be Joe Montana, but that was a different decade!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from GameChanger. Show GameChanger's posts

You can argue Peyton over Brady. Team of the decade is the Patriots with three SB trophies. Regular season is just that, regular. Otherwise, we should make the 1980's Bills the team of that decade because, they made it to all those SB games, right?

Sections
Shortcuts