Peyton Dissed by Colts' Radio Announcer

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Peyton Dissed by Colts' Radio Announcer

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/08/colts-radio-voice-trashes-peyton-off-the-air/

"Peyton appeared to accept" hahahahaha

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Re: Peyton Dissed by Colts' Radio Announcer

To a degree, I agree with Lamey. 

I don't think the Colts should bench Manning for Painter, who looks terrible. But they should use their first selection to get Ryan Mallett and start rebuilding. At his young age Mallett already does a number of things better than Manning that could help the Colts offense now. 

#1 He is much, much more mobile. That means that everytime there is pressure it won't necesarily = an interception or a sack. Manning is a statue. 

I know... this is anathema to some Colts fans who have convinced themselves that everything that is wrong with the team is everyone but Manning, but Manning is a lot like Bledsoe.... he requires a great line, great receivers and a great running back to be competitive. Otherwise he is a human turnover. 

Getting someone younger with a few more QB type skills who could eventually learn to look at defenses the way Manning has, takes the pressure off of the Colts' FA to grab new WRs every draft to keep a pipeline of talent flowing.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

In Response to Re: Peyton Dissed by Colts' Radio Announcer:
    To a degree, I agree with Lamey.  I don't think the Colts should bench Manning for Painter, who looks terrible. But they should  use their first selection to get Ryan Mallett and start rebuilding. At his young age Mallett already does a number of things better than Manning that could help the Colts offense now.  #1 He is much, much more mobile. That means that everytime there is pressure it won't necesarily = an interception or a sack. Manning is a statue.  I know... this is anathema to some Colts fans who have convinced themselves that everything that is wrong with the team is everyone but Manning, but Manning is a lot like Bledsoe.... he requires a great line, great receivers and a great running back to be competitive. Otherwise he is a human turnover.  Getting someone younger with a few more QB type skills who could eventually learn to look at defenses the way Manning has, takes the pressure off of the Colts' FA to grab new WRs every draft to keep a pipeline of talent flowing.
    Posted by zbellino

WOW! Can't believe you just said that, Z. You, of all people.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Red-Doc-Redemption. Show Red-Doc-Redemption's posts

To a degree, I agree with Lamey.  I don't think the Colts should bench Manning for Painter, who looks terrible. But they should  use their first selection to get Ryan Mallett and start rebuilding. At his young age Mallett already does a number of things better than Manning that could help the Colts offense now.  #1 He is much, much more mobile. That means that everytime there is pressure it won't necesarily = an interception or a sack. Manning is a statue.  I know... this is anathema to some Colts fans who have convinced themselves that everything that is wrong with the team is everyone but Manning, but Manning is a lot like Bledsoe.... he requires a great line, great receivers and a great running back to be competitive. Otherwise he is a human turnover.  Getting someone younger with a few more QB type skills who could eventually learn to look at defenses the way Manning has, takes the pressure off of the Colts' FA to grab new WRs every draft to keep a pipeline of talent flowing.
    Posted by zbellino

I think maybe a few years ago Peyton could have yurned a cast of nobody's into somebody's....But not anymore. Still, the idea of closing the curtains of the (in my opinion) 2nd smartest QB in football is crazy......or is it?

Peyton throws the deep ball better than anyone in the game. Who loves the deep ball? Al Davis! If Al Davis will trade a #1 for  an aging Seyour you gotta think he would give up his 2012, 2013 & then some for Manning. Would this be a smart move for the Colts? IDK, bc you gotta think they'd be in the crapper for a few years, but it sure is fun food for thought... 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

I like Curtis Painter.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NY-PATS-FAN4. Show NY-PATS-FAN4's posts

Not.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from patswirelessfan. Show patswirelessfan's posts

No way.  As much as I love and enjoy seeing the Colts fail, the problem lies in Polian and his failure to successfully build up the offensive line.  

Only Saturday, who is getting older, is worth his weight.

Also, Peyton is experiencing what Brady has successfully navigated his way through his entire career, the changing of offensive co-ordinator.  Last Year, his old co-ordinator was still on board as a consultant whereas this year, it is for real.

The scenario of players changing and co-ordintors changing, if one considers those variables ( Plus Playoff and championship rings ) makes Brady the Best overall QB of this era.  

Sure Peyton has a lot of stats, But Brady has his own as well, its whatever the media wants to use to hype it up......

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

To a degree, I agree with Lamey.  I don't think the Colts should bench Manning for Painter, who looks terrible. But they should  use their first selection to get Ryan Mallett and start rebuilding. At his young age Mallett already does a number of things better than Manning that could help the Colts offense now.  #1 He is much, much more mobile. That means that everytime there is pressure it won't necesarily = an interception or a sack. Manning is a statue.

RESPONSE:  Interesting point, Z. But, it will never happen. In order to get Mallett, who will be in the cross-hairs of the terrible 3-7 Arizona Cardinals, the 6-6 Colts must, out of necessity, sit Manning down for Painter. If Painter plays, the Colts likely will finish at 6-10, and will  still have to trade up to get Mallett.
         Manning will play, and, assuming that the Colts beat Jacksonville in Indy, they'll likely win the AFC South. 

I know... this is anathema to some Colts fans who have convinced themselves that everything that is wrong with the team is everyone but Manning, but Manning is a lot like Bledsoe.... he requires a great line, great receivers and a great running back to be competitive. Otherwise he is a human turnover.  Getting someone younger with a few more QB type skills who could eventually learn to look at defenses the way Manning has, takes the pressure off of the Colts' FA to grab new WRs every draft to keep a pipeline of talent flowing.

RESPONSE: Not only that, but Indy must pay zillions to keep him, at the end of the season. The best thing that Polian can do would be to franchise Manning, and offer to trade him to Arizona for two #1 picks, one of which would be used to draft Mallett. Peyton will do well in Arizona...and the Cardinals will be able to convince Larry Fitzgerald to stay, with Peyton there.
    Posted by zbellino

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

Well look at what the Packers did with Aaron Rodgers. Not that I want to see the Colts be good for another 10 years but if I were in their shoes I'd draft a QB first round. Sign Manning have the young QB learn under Manning for 3 years then in 2014 when Manning is 38 years old trade him to a team like the Redskins for some good draft picks and hopefully you'll have the next Aaron Rodgers/Steve Young type of QB.

Hope down the road the Pats can do the same thing to continue their legacy post-Brady.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Posted by zbellino

Silly post by someone unwilling and/or uninterested in the truth. 

Or we could just have our personnel department make better decisions about the offensive line.  

Look at how well Brady has been protected.  A qb with that much time doesn't have to worry about a receiver missing a route or QB/receiver miscommunication, they can just wait until the receiver gets open.  Brady doesn't even have to worry about a pocket developing because the tackles aren't letting the d ends/lbs beyond the line of scrimmage. 

And this idea of Manning needing excellent receivers is hogwash.  Last year Manning won MVP and went to the superbowl throwing 100 balls to a rookie 4th rounder and a 2nd year 6th rounder who had previously caught 4 balls in the NFL. 

This year, he's got no protection and a running game to match (with RB's who are not good pass blockers-yet).  He's throwing to one all pro receiver with a hamstring problem, the 6th round receiver (identified a couple of weeks ago as possibly producing the worst colts receiving year in a decade) who also has a hamstring problem, a UDFA rookie (White), and 4th rd - 3rd year TE who had previously caught 6 balls. 

Practices aren't helping because these guys aren't practicing.  They are nursing their injuries. 

This doesn't mean that Manning isn't at fault, he is, also.  Where Manning in the past has thrown balls away or eaten them, he is not this year and the question has to be why?  

A good offensive line cures a lot of ills.  The colts front office has addressed the issue and has failed.  The loss of Howard Mudd also likely has something to do with this.  When a defense can rush 3 or 4 and put pressure on the quarterback while dropping everyone else into coverage on any play that is beyond 2 yards for a 1st down, a team has a problem.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

Good way to thank him for his decade of play for them isn't it. No offensive line, no running game, one good receiver and the defense stinks. I hate to defend the Oreo licker but in this case it's not all his fault. He has to keep throwing and every team's defense knows it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Peyton Dissed by Colts' Radio Announcer : Silly post by someone unwilling and/or uninterested in the truth.

RESPONSE: Why do you deem this a "silly post"? You imply that he's way off base. Okay then...what is your version of the "truth"?

Or we could just have our personnel department make better decisions about the offensive line.

RESPONSE: Do you really think that an OL can be rebuilt overnight? Jeff Saturday is 57 years old, Indy has a gapping hole at RG, and could use an upgrade at OT. You can't go back magically into time and corrrect personnel mistakes that were made. 
         Hey Dog(gggg), I thought that Peyton's smarts and quick release made the OL better? You'vve preached that here for two years now. What's happened?

Look at how well Brady has been protected.  A qb with that much time doesn't have to worry about a receiver missing a route or QB/receiver miscommunication, they can just wait until the receiver gets open.  Brady doesn't even have to worry about a pocket developing because the tackles aren't letting the d ends/lbs beyond the line of scrimmage.

RESPONSE: LOL!!! Couldn't it be said that Brady is so great at reading defenses and getting rid of the ball quickly, that it makes his OL look better than it is? Perhaps the play calling and system of offense the Pats use is better than in Indy as well. Matt Light is far from a great LT, and most likely will be replaced at the end of the season. Sebastien Vollmer has seemed to regress some, after an outstanding rookie season. Center Dan Koppen is aging, and needs to be replaced. Starting RG Stephen Neal is hurt again, and appears to be done. The Pats have played most of the season without LG Logan Mankins. In other words...as usual, you don't know what you're talking about. 

And this idea of Manning needing excellent receivers is hogwash.  Last year Manning won MVP and went to the superbowl throwing 100 balls to a rookie 4th rounder and a 2nd year 6th rounder who had previously caught 4 balls in the NFL.

RESPONSE: Talk about hog-wash...Manning was successful last year because he was hardly touched. Please cut the BS about him not having great weapons. Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, and Joe Addai were top notch weapons last season...to go along with Garcon and Collie. Manning has fallen on hard times without Addai and Clark to bail him out on check-downs.

This year, he's got no protection and a running game to match (with RB's who are not good pass blockers-yet).  He's throwing to one all pro receiver with a hamstring problem, the 6th round receiver (identified a couple of weeks ago as possibly producing the worst colts receiving year in a decade) who also has a hamstring problem, a UDFA rookie (White), and 4th rd - 3rd year TE who had previously caught 6 balls.  Practices aren't helping because these guys aren't practicing.  They are nursing their injuries.

RESNSE: More Manning excuses. Why can't you admit what everyone else knows...that he's making poor decisions, and mistakes in reading coverages. 

This doesn't mean that Manning isn't at fault, he is, also.  Where Manning in the past has thrown balls away or eaten them, he is not this year and the question has to be why?

RESPONSE: See my response above.

A good offensive line cures a lot of ills.  The colts front office has addressed the issue and has failed.  The loss of Howard Mudd also likely has something to do with this.  When a defense can rush 3 or 4 and put pressure on the quarterback while dropping everyone else into coverage on any play that is beyond 2 yards for a 1st down, a team has a problem.

RESPONSE: Sorry...no sale. Peyton, according to you, is the best QB, ever. Poor play on his part, poor coaching, poor play calling, and injuries all seem to be a part of the problem.

Posted by UD6

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

TP - Manning is still making the oline look better than they are.  They are that bad. 

Yes, I believe Brady does make his Oline look better at times, but that claim cannot be made when he has 4 seconds to throw a ball and not a single rusher within 5 yards of him.  Brady clearly has time to wait and read, something Manning hasn't had for quite sometime.  Some of this also has to do with the pats ability to run the ball (which has something to do with the effectiveness of the oline also). 

All of the things you mention (including injuries) contribute to Manning having problems.  It is a team game, you know.  Remarkably, however, the one area where Indy does not have injury concerns and should thus be good is (you guessed it) the oline. 

You can disagree all you like, but there is not a single NFL commentator worth his salt who does not believe that indy's line is not a significant part of the problem.  Even its architect, Polian, agrees. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

TP - Manning is still making the oline look better than they are.  They are that bad.  Yes, I believe Brady does make his Oline look better at times, but that claim cannot be made when he has 4 seconds to throw a ball and not a single rusher within 5 yards of him.  Brady clearly has time to wait and read, something Manning hasn't had for quite sometime.  Some of this also has to do with the pats ability to run the ball (which has something to do with the effectiveness of the oline also).  All of the things you mention (including injuries) contribute to Manning having problems.  It is a team game, you know.  Remarkably, however, the one area where Indy does not have injury concerns and should thus be good is (you guessed it) the oline.  You can disagree all you like, but there is not a single NFL commentator worth his salt who does not believe that indy's line is not a significant part of the problem.  Even its architect, Polian, agrees. 
    Posted by UD6

That's not what I'm hearing. More and more, commentators are placing the blame on Peyton. Even the king of Indy homers, this announcer...who is the Johnny Most of the Indy Cots, is blaming Peyton. Ron Jaworski early in the season speculated that Peyton's abilities are in decline. Deion Sanders has been very vocal in his criticisms on Manning.

Poor game planning (coaching) and poor play calling (coaching and Manning) are certainly part of the problem. Here are some cold, hard football facts on the subject: http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_3495_Peyton%2C_the_Colts_and_the_lessons_of_Johnny_U.html, and http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_3512_Colts_fail_to_heed_lesson_of_Unitas_%28again%29.html  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmcpatsfan. Show dmcpatsfan's posts

I love that Peyton is getting it put to him...guy's had it easy for way too long...
    he's a 4 time league MVP, time to earn those stripes!!!!

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from WCPatsFan. Show WCPatsFan's posts

Wow, every QB has bad seasons. Look at Brady an 2002. Potatoe head is a good QB and a great field general. He will find his groove. He is just having a bad year. It happens. I hate the colts and I hate potatoe head but I still recognize him as a good QB, not Brady, Montana status... maybe down there with Favra and Morono.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Z has made the point that Manning doesn't throw to his check down enough and, instead, looks for the down field throw too much.  I think there's a lot of truth in that.  Manning is to blame if he's not throwing to his checkdowns, or his safer throws, especially if he thinks the rush is coming faster due to his allegedly poor OL play.  His picks seem to come from his poor decisions in that regard.
    Posted by Duc749Rider

I agree with that too but it's byproduct of what he's going through this year. He has no running game so he's much more tempted to force throws just to move the chains and score points. He knows his defense can't win games for him. I know it's still a QBs job to make the safe play for the sake of the TEAM but come on now, it's second nature for these superstar QBs to come out and try and carry the team. Another factor is whether there's someone on that coaching staff that has the power and/or guts to set Peyton aside and say "dude, you're making obvious mistakes." One thing you also can't discount is drops and less-than-stellar route-running at times (i know it's not 100% the problem but it builds into a QBs psyche: "If I just throw it deep to Wayne, even in triple coverage, at least i know he'll be at the right place and that he'll catch it if it hits his hands.")

Interesting stuff nonetheless.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In Response to Re: Peyton Dissed by Colts' Radio Announcer :      That's not what I'm hearing. More and more, commentators are placing the blame on Peyton. Even the king of Indy homers, this announcer...who is the Johnny Most of the Indy Cots, is blaming Peyton. Ron Jaworski early in the season speculated that Peyton's abilities are in decline. Deion Sanders has been very vocal in his criticisms on Manning.      Poor game planning (coaching) and poor play calling (coaching and Manning) are certainly part of the problem. Here are some cold, hard football facts on the subject:  http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_3495_Peyton%2C_the_Colts_and_the_lessons_of_Johnny_U.html , and http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_3512_Colts_fail_to_heed_lesson_of_Unitas_%28again%29.html   
    Posted by TexasPat3

Clearly Peyton is currently part of the problem with some very poor decision making, but to suggest that is the ONLY problem with the colts is short sighted.  Whether or not you agree with Manning's 4 mvp's doesn't change the fact that he is one of the best in the game.  That didn't change all of a sudden over a 3 game span.  Recall some were suggesting just last month that he was one of the guys in the mix for MVP this year.  There's more to this. 

Its injuries (including injuries to players who are playing but not practicing), its a very poor offensive line that is allowing the pass rush to get to Manning as well as showing an inability to run block. 

Again - if a defense can play 7 or 8 in coverage and still not worry about the run, then it doesn't matter how bad that defense is, they are going to be effective.   

So while Manning certainly bears his share of the blame, it cannot all be laid at his feet. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In Response to Re: Peyton Dissed by Colts' Radio Announcer : I agree with that too but it's byproduct of what he's going through this year. He has no running game so he's much more tempted to force throws just to move the chains and score points. He knows his defense can't win games for him. I know it's still a QBs job to make the safe play for the sake of the TEAM but come on now, it's second nature for these superstar QBs to come out and try and carry the team. Another factor is whether there's someone on that coaching staff that has the power and/or guts to set Peyton aside and say "dude, you're making obvious mistakes." One thing you also can't discount is drops and less-than-stellar route-running at times (i know it's not 100% the problem but it builds into a QBs psyche: "If I just throw it deep to Wayne, even in triple coverage, at least i know he'll be at the right place and that he'll catch it if it hits his hands.") Interesting stuff nonetheless.
    Posted by apdynasty23

If six stay in to block 3 or 4 rushers then that leaves 7 or 8 to defend 4 receivers - if I have some time, I am going to look at this from the last game.  I personally think the check downs may not be there.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

they should be called the indianopolis cult because of their unquestioning faith in PM. dogggg the compound is on fire. flee!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Peyton Dissed by Colts' Radio Announcer : Clearly Peyton is currently part of the problem with some very poor decision making, but to suggest that is the ONLY problem with the colts is short sighted.

RESPONSE: Where have I "suggested" that Peyton was the sole problem? What's short sighted is to suggest that Peyton is not the problem.

Whether or not you agree with Manning's 4 mvp's doesn't change the fact that he is one of the best in the game.  That didn't change all of a sudden over a 3 game span.

RESPONSE: One of the best in the game?? I thought that, according to you, he was the best...ever? Where have I mentioned anything about his 4 MVP awards? What does that have to do with how he's playing now?

Recall some were suggesting just last month that he was one of the guys in the mix for MVP this year.  There's more to this.  Its injuries (including injuries to players who are playing but not practicing), its a very poor offensive line that is allowing the pass rush to get to Manning as well as showing an inability to run block.

RESPONSE:  It's excuse making!!! Why can't you admit that he is part of the problem? The other thing you failed to address was my point concerning the game planning and play calling. These are coaching and QB related issues.

Again - if a defense can play 7 or 8 in coverage and still not worry about the run, then it doesn't matter how bad that defense is, they are going to be effective. So while Manning certainly bears his share of the blame, it cannot all be laid at his feet.

RESPONSE: Apparently, you haven't read my posts...or the articles I cited. Where have I said that Peyton is entirely  to blame? Why don't you get your head out of Peyton's back-side for a moment, and try to view the Colts' problems objectively? 
    Posted by UD6

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts