Peyton Manning dodged a bullet!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from flutie66. Show flutie66's posts

Re: Peyton Manning dodged a bullet!

In Response to Re: Peyton Manning dodged a bullet!:
    In Response to Re: Peyton Manning dodged a bullet! : Well maybe to an LSU guy, but thoughtful people understand the injuries the colts endured last year and this year.  Don't care for my take?  Here's Bruschi:  "maybe the difference is Manning", or Rich Gannon, today:  "What would the colts be today with Manning?  Probably 5-2".  People in the know, know. 
    Posted by UD6

i usually dont get involved in these arguments, but i think its pretty clear that the colts would be bad this year even with manning.  as for what you said about injuries destroying the colts last year, perhaps you would like to check this link out (http://backseatfan.com/2010/06/2010-2011-nfl-players-on-injured-reserve/)   i think you will be suprised to compare the colts IR list to the other teams in the league, including the pats who had the NFLs best record of 14-2 last year.  i dont think anyone is arguing against manning  being great (at least in the regular season), but the fact is that team has needed an overhaul for a few years now

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from danemcmenamin. Show danemcmenamin's posts

No QB is worth 53 points. SIMPLE!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from FishTaco64. Show FishTaco64's posts

Hmmm that's weird, suing injuries as an excuse for an early playoff exit last year. You know who else had tons of injuries? The Packers....they seemed to get through it ok.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In Response to Re: Peyton Manning dodged a bullet! : Umm, not sure what LSU has to do with this ... care to elaborate? At any rate ... Manning doesn't make Painter or Collins better.  If the Colts had Matt Cassel (or ANY QB worth playing in the NFL) they would likely be 4-3 or 5-2 as well ... I don't think Bruschi or Gannon would argue that either.  Painter and Collins have been pretty much terrible. Outside of the excellent running, and some amazing jobs or RAC, Painter can't hit the broad side of a barn. He is throwing half the balls into the stands. It's a joke.  It says far, far more about how overrated the Colts are as personell managers and drafters than how good Manning is.  Get it? Mr. In-the-know. ;-)
    Posted by zbellino

Z - I was just being a sh*thead with the LSU comment after a few drinks, please accept my apology. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In Response to Re: Peyton Manning dodged a bullet! : i usually dont get involved in these arguments, but i think its pretty clear that the colts would be bad this year even with manning.   as for what you said about injuries destroying the colts last year, perhaps you would like to check this link out ( http://backseatfan.com/2010/06/2010-2011-nfl-players-on-injured-reserve/ )   i think you will be suprised to compare the colts IR list to the other teams in the league, including the pats who had the NFLs best record of 14-2 last year.  i dont think anyone is arguing against manning  being great (at least in the regular season), but the fact is that team has needed an overhaul for a few years now
    Posted by flutie66

Here you go:  take a look at this link:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/fo-espn-feature-columns/2011/espn-starter-games-lost-and-packers

IR lists are one thing, but they always tell much.  There are a lot of 3rd stringers on IR.   The question is about key players who are injured, which actually makes what the packers did last year pretty remarkable. 

BTW - you may want to take a look at this one as well:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2010/2009-adjusted-games-lost-totals

The colts went to the superbowl that year. 

Which begs the question, how do you explain that the colts have needed an overhaul for the past few years when as one of the leagues most injured teams it had the best record in the NFL and went to the SB 2 years ago? 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Hmmm that's weird, suing injuries as an excuse for an early playoff exit last year. You know who else had tons of injuries? The Packers....they seemed to get through it ok.
    Posted by FishTaco64

taco - injuries weren't the reason for the colts playoff loss last year.  Bad coaching was.  Manning put the team up with less than a minute to go and Caldwell called timeout when the Jets had none left and would have had to kick a 49 yd FG.  That gave the Jets an opportunity to call another play which they hit for 17 yds and then hit a chip shot of a 32 yd fg. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In Response to Re: Peyton Manning dodged a bullet! : taco - injuries weren't the reason for the colts playoff loss last year.  Bad coaching was.  Manning put the team up with less than a minute to go and Caldwell called timeout when the Jets had none left and would have had to kick a 49 yd FG.  That gave the Jets an opportunity to call another play which they hit for 17 yds and then hit a chip shot of a 32 yd fg. 
    Posted by UD6

Aren't you assuming a couple of things here? Namely; A) The jets would have misse the longer FG. B) The jets wouldn't have gained the 17 yeards even without the time out?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeffab. Show jeffab's posts

In Response to Re: Peyton Manning dodged a bullet! : Z - I was just being a sh*thead with the LSU comment after a few drinks, please accept my apology. 
    Posted by UD6

LOL!  Gotta respect the honesty! 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Runer. Show Runer's posts

colts are 3-4 at best with manning at the helm.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In Response to Re: Peyton Manning dodged a bullet! : Aren't you assuming a couple of things here? Namely; A) The jets would have misse the longer FG. B) The jets wouldn't have gained the 17 yeards even without the time out?
    Posted by BabeParilli

yep - but with no timeout, no play called, and the Jets claiming that they would have tried the FG with 30 seconds left because they had no play called, I assume they would have had to try a 49 ydr.  Certainly could have made it but I would have much preferred that than a 32 ydr. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from gln826. Show gln826's posts

In Response to Re: Peyton Manning dodged a bullet! : Here you go:  take a look at this link: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/fo-espn-feature-columns/2011/espn-starter-games-lost-and-packers IR lists are one thing, but they always tell much.  There are a lot of 3rd stringers on IR.   The question is about key players who are injured, which actually makes what the packers did last year pretty remarkable.  BTW - you may want to take a look at this one as well: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2010/2009-adjusted-games-lost-totals The colts went to the superbowl that year.  Which begs the question, how do you explain that the colts have needed an overhaul for the past few years when as one of the leagues most injured teams it had the best record in the NFL and went to the SB 2 years ago? 
    Posted by UD6

Ok, Hyp. Look at the 2003 Pats. They were the most injured team in the league that year (games lost).  What happened that year? Oh yeah, they won the SB. Now look at the 2004 Pats, they were the most injured team in the NFL again (more injuries than in 2003), guess what happened? Oh yeah, they won the SB.

So, now you can stop crying about injuries, kickers, bad defenses, and am I missing anything that you have cried about?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Gln - Its HIPP, as in I M HIPP (like the running back).  Could you provide a link, like I did, to your statement?

Thanks, the hipster.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

Not even a Kyle Boller team has lost a game 62-7. The Colts are bad and Manning is lucky that he is missing this. Even if Brady was on that team they would be struggling. They lost 62 to freaking 7. Even when the Pats were running it up on some sorry a** teams in 2007 they could not score 62 points. The Colts have perhaps the 2nd worst head coach in football (Sparano is still #1) but they have at least 5 pro bowler's still on that team. I bet if Belichek was their head coach they would have at least 2 or 3 wins so far even with Painter. If Belichek and Brady were both there I bet they would have 5 wins at least (Saints game would still be a loss though, Brees was not missing in that game). 

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

Why is it that only fans of other teams are making this point?  Answer:  fandom. Answer2:  specifically here - it hurts Tom Brady's legacy.
    Posted by UD6

Hey Troll, the Dolts hitting rock bottom does nothing to tarnish TB12's legacy. Nobody cant take his rings and records away. What the Dolts hitting rock bottom does is ADD to BB's legacy as a guy who can build a TEAM.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcour382. Show jcour382's posts

Why is it that only fans of other teams are making this point?  Answer:  fandom. Answer2:  specifically here - it hurts Tom Brady's legacy.
    Posted by UD6

once a tool always a tool....  ... i know gomer and gomer is no tom brady...never was never will be...

its just nitwits like you that like to promote that premis

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

Same thing happened to Miami when Marino retired.  They still have not recovered.  A good QB can hide some of the flaws on a bad team.  A fair QB can succeed on a good team.  I bad team and a bad QB will always lead to a lot of bad losses. Cassell
    had a good team and coach behind him in 08.  He is not an elite or even a good QB.  I thought he was going to be cut before the start of the 08 season.  His true colors are showing in KC.  The Patriots have reloaded in the last couple of years while still being competitive.  Now with a good QB and a young good team it should be exciting for the next few years.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from gln826. Show gln826's posts

Gln - Its HIPP, as in I M HIPP (like the running back).  Could you provide a link, like I did, to your statement? Thanks, the hipster.
    Posted by UD6

HIPP, yeah.....so clever!  Some day I may be as clever as the "Hyprocrite" because  "People in the know, know!"

I could find the article about the injured game quantities, but have the team from wiki.  here is the roster.  look at the bottom of the page for all the players on the IR.  The Pats were basically on the 3rd string OL including a 5th round C (turned out to be pretty good, but still a rookie).  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_New_England_Patriots_season

The 2004 Pats didnt have as many impact injuries except at CB (both the starters).  again look at the bottom for the IR players.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_New_England_Patriots_season

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

gln - so unlike me, you really don't have any analysis defining the pats as most injured in 2003.  You just thought you'd throw it out there and see if it would stick. 

Look, I don't doubt that the pats had a heavily injured bunch.  I believe you, but without the analysis like I provided we just won't know. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxpowers034. Show maxpowers034's posts

The Colts were fool not to be ready

Here's a cool Patriots site....60maxpowero.com

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

I don't think they were in 2008 - I think they were 2nd. 

but hey - don't shoot the messenger.  This stuff is put out by a boston based website. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from gln826. Show gln826's posts

gln - so unlike me, you really don't have any analysis defining the pats as most injured in 2003.  You just thought you'd throw it out there and see if it would stick.  Look, I don't doubt that the pats had a heavily injured bunch.  I believe you, but without the analysis like I provided we just won't know. 
    Posted by UD6

When do you ever provide anything tangible?  NEVER, just because say it, doesnt make it so.  I just remembered it was said on NFL Live.  I will try to find the link.

Sections
Shortcuts