Peyton Manning Leaving Colts?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Re: Peyton Manning Leaving Colts?

Isn't it officially two first rounders and the franchising team has rights of first refusal?

Anyhow, there is always option #5, that Manning's agent wants to generate a buzz about Manning. He is a product first and foremost. Having him go to free agency, or even 'almost' go, keeps his name in the headlines in the offseason.

I sincerely doubt that he really wants to wait for the sake of not talking... hammering out a deal should be easy enough under NFLPA tradition. Just add a little to the highest paid player's contract and you are growing the value at the position.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

One can only guess.  Possible reasons:

1. Getting big guaranteed deals done in this uncapped year has required a lot of creative writing.  He may simply want to wait for the new CBA.  It's not like he's worried he better get his money now or never.  Either he or his agent or both may be uncomfortable with all of the creative writing needed to strike a deal this year.

2. In an uncapped year, you can guarantee money against skill OR injury, but not against skill AND injury.  I don't think that is a trivial point.  I think they have been using some very creative writing as I mention above to circumvent this, but all of that creative writing is somewhat untested.

3. No guarantee there will even be a franchise tag next year.  Probably will be, but no guarantee.  The owners are going to have to give up something important if they want both a longer regular season as well as giving players a reduced percentage of revenue.  Don't rule out something like this as the price for that.

I highly doubt it is related to them passing on a perfect season.  I'm sure he's still ticked off somewhere between the ears, but I doubt he'd look for a new team only because of that.  The Colts have taken good care of Peyton.  They've always made sure he had a good line and good receivers to work with.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

Good for Peyton. I hate the guy but America is made on free enterprise and making all you can. There is some thought to this post though. The colts do have some chinks in the armor. I don't see a hugh plan to bolster the forces. They never play the free agant market in the off season. they never move around in the draft. I'm sure for Manning its more about rings now then money. Retirement should be in his thoughts so if planned proper he'll never have to worry about money again.
    So if Rings matter more then money what are his options?
    Minne...  couple fast receivers, excellent running back, dome, and NFC most of all. thats as guranteed in the playoffs every year as he has it now.
    Dallas. Dez and roy Williams, good running game, an owner who will get you anything you want for a ring. Jerry Jones would have NEVER rested the starters.
    I dont think he'd consider Miami, AFC east is too tough a division. Then theres the reach teams (warm weather) like Arizona and San Fran.

This will be Mannings ultimate loyalty test in Indy. Mannings mug is all over billboards in Indy. He'd make a gazillion $ in Dallas or San Fran.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

Unlikely

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Bob Kraft should inquire.  Tom Brady needs a good back up.

I'd have to say NO to this. They'd do better signing someone they could count on on a cold, snowy day in January!

I seriously doubt Manning wants to go elsewhere. Irsay is going to pay him, pretty much whatever he wants. They did have to wait until Tom got his, to set the price as it were. But even if they did tag him in 2011, he'd be guaranteed around $22 million and still be able to get a contract pretty much at will the next year. And I wouldn't think he'd want to sign with a team that doesn't have a legitimate shot at a SB. All those teams have a QB locked up. I'd say part of it was to make Irsay sweat it a bit, and part to see what happens with the CBA. If a team did agree to the picks I'm sure the Colts would match whatever he was offered, guarantees or not!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from boomerst3. Show boomerst3's posts

If he leaves, he will only g to a team with an indoor stadium.  That has probably padded his stats by 10-20%.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

the colts will pay him a truck load of money.....a Mayflower truck load

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

the spin is interesting, but I am betting Florio has not made that call to you yet. 

If I told you that I thought Manning was more of a team player in this instance than Brady, I am sure I'd catch a lot of flak, but from my perspective, its hard not to see it that way.  Brady complained publicly, and continued to allow the issue to fester embarrassingly until (imo) he got his audience with Kraft and they were able to figure things out.  Manning on the other hand, generally only said "I don't talk about contracts in the media".  Ultimately, some of you who like to refer to Manning as payaton must be chafed that Manning looks much more like the team player here than the selfish Brady.    

Now, could Manning leave?  Without a contract, anything is possible.  Will Manning leave?  I doubt it. 

Lets examine your thoughts - Still upset over last year's decision to rest players.  He could be bothered by this, but wouldn't this have mattered only if they had won the SB?  Isn't that the same for the pats?  Does this issue really even matter anywhere but jealous NE?  I mean its not like its spygate, right?  

Aging fading team - I don't think so.  Especially given that the team is only a fraction older than its youngest team in the last 5 years.  Also, if this is in any comparision to the pats, the colts are younger. 

Manning has worked with Caldwell for years.  Manning has enough clout to make his feelings known about the coaching staff.  If he doesn't like Caldwell, Polian will know. 

Making millions elsewhere - Manning is the #1 endorser in the NFL as it is.  AS AN INDY PLAYER, no less.  I am sure as a 4 time MVP and an uncanny pitchman, he's got more offers than he can take.  Besides - Minnesota is an endorsement capital?  Forget about that, what about the culture of those teams.  The only one that is attractive is the Jets, and I do not forsee Peyton going to NYC given that Eli's already there. 

Further why really would he want to leave.  He's more or less created and runs the offensive system.  It would be a lot of work understanding a new one.  Plus, Manning like most humans appears to be a creature of habit.  Taking him out of his comfort zone would not be attractive to him imo. 

just my thoughts - a little bored, eh, tp?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

My bet is he ends up in tennesseeWink

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hardright. Show hardright's posts

I think we have a better chance of seeing a hockey game played on the River Styx before we see the Colts let Manning leave.

Ditto for Jeter with the Yankees. Both sides are just posturing now, but does anyone really believe that Jeter will be in any other uniform besides pinstripes next year? He's the face of their franchise, as Manning is the face of the Colts' franchise.

Both guys will be back with their same teams next season.

Polian is a childish, drunken, manipulative asshat, but he's not stupid, that's for sure.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

I thought the Pats were the youngest in the NFL after Moss left.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

Could be that Manning and his agent want a better idea of how the new CBA shakes out.  

My guess is he stays in Indy.

He just wants to know how much money there is before he decides how much he will take.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mar10fern. Show mar10fern's posts

Much like the talk about Brady and his contract...THIS IS A NON STORY!

Manning will remain in Indy.  It's not up to him anyway.  If Indy wants him, than he has no choice other than to not play in the NFL at all.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

He better hope he doesn't get hurt. You know he's gonna get pounded some, its December afterall.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Manning did this for his team? That is as lunatic as saying he wants to leave because they sat players last season.

Manning wants more money:

But I suppose that is "biased reporting" or something else.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

Nothing in the NFL surprises me but I'd be supremely shocked if he doesn't re-sign with the Colts.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Peyton Manning Leaving Colts?:
    Isn't it officially two first rounders and the franchising team has rights of first refusal? Anyhow, there is always option #5, that Manning's agent wants to generate a buzz about Manning. He is a product first and foremost. Having him go to free agency, or even 'almost' go, keeps his name in the headlines in the offseason. I sincerely doubt that he really wants to wait for the sake of not talking... hammering out a deal should be easy enough under NFLPA tradition. Just add a little to the highest paid player's contract and you are growing the value at the position.
    Posted by zbellino

Yes Z...I believe that there is a right of first refusal. But what's to stop any team that is willing to part with two #1 picks and millions of dollars from adding a "poison pill" provision in the contract proposal?  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Dogg
    Brady complained publicly???  Really???
    I heard Manning is on his way back to MD to play for the "Baltimore Oreo's". LOL

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Dogg Brady complained publicly???  Really??? I heard Manning is on his way back to MD to play for the "Baltimore Oreo's". LOL
    Posted by pezz4pats

Yahoo's resident know-nothing, Michael Silver, manufactured a non-story about some supposed "disconnect" between Brady and Kraft (unsourced, naturally) that never actually amounted to anything, had no legs at all, and the slavering wannabes who live in perpetual jealousy of New England ate it up with a spoon.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from wolfwood. Show wolfwood's posts

i just dont see him leaving he has a blank check on the table  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

Bob Kraft should inquire.  Tom Brady needs a good back up.
    Posted by Encinitas

How do you pay him? With Chuckie Cheese tokens? Sometimes I really wonder?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DynastyXXXVI. Show DynastyXXXVI's posts

My bet is he ends up in tennessee
    Posted by kansaspatriot

That same thought has actually crossed my mind before. Even before the recent Vince Young implosion.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

One can only guess.  Possible reasons: 1. Getting big guaranteed deals done in this uncapped year has required a lot of creative writing.  He may simply want to wait for the new CBA.  It's not like he's worried he better get his money now or never.  Either he or his agent or both may be uncomfortable with all of the creative writing needed to strike a deal this year.

RESPONSE: Isn't Peyton risking his multi-million extension by waiting? For example, what happens if he suffers a serious injury?

2. In an uncapped year, you can guarantee money against skill OR injury, but not against skill AND injury.  I don't think that is a trivial point.  I think they have been using some very creative writing as I mention above to circumvent this, but all of that creative writing is somewhat untested.

RESPONSE: We've heard nothing about the Colts and Manning agreeing to anything. Besides, how would doing something like that benefit the Colts? They offered pretty much a blank check to extend him back in week seven.

3. No guarantee there will even be a franchise tag next year.  Probably will be, but no guarantee.  The owners are going to have to give up something important if they want both a longer regular season as well as giving players a reduced percentage of revenue.  Don't rule out something like this as the price for that.

RESPONSE: The owners would likely give up on the 18 game schedule before they would be willing to part with the franchise tag. But, if you're right about this, isn't that further proof that Manning is leaving? Can you imagine the bevy of lucrative offers he'd draw, if teams didn't have to worry about a right of first refusal, or compensating the Colts? 

I highly doubt it is related to them passing on a perfect season.  I'm sure he's still ticked off somewhere between the ears, but I doubt he'd look for a new team only because of that.

RESPONSE: Don't underestimate how angry Peyton may, and probably still is, about that decision. He's all about his legacy. He knows that he has been in head to head competition with Tom Brady over which QB is the best in his era. Manning likely hates the fact that Brady broke his TD pass record. He likely was craving the opportunity, not only to match Brady's perfect regular season, but to have surpassed him with a perfect season. If he had done that, Peyton would have achieved football immortality. Bill Polian, Jim Irsay, and Jim Caldwell denied him of that opportunity.   

The Colts have taken good care of Peyton.  They've always made sure he had a good line and good receivers to work with.

RESPONSE: Peyton has taken good care of them, too. Where would the Colts be without him? Management's decision to overrule his wishes to go for that perfect season still sticks in his craw. Otherwise, why is Peyton choosing to take the position on his contract, that he's taking?
    Posted by carawaydj

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Note how the media is dead quiet on this but attacked the Krafts and harrassed Brady all summer long.

This, on the heels of them playing into the Mankins temper tantrum making Kraft seem like the devil.

Anyone who doesn't believe the media uses an anti-NE angle to make money is daft.

Sections
Shortcuts