Peyton Manning Leaving the Colts, Part Deux

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Peyton Manning Leaving the Colts, Part Deux

There's lots of sighing, knashing of teeth, and the howling of a baying dog(gggg), that can be heard for miles around Hooterville...as the Colts will soon have to slap the franchise tag on "The Wonderful One": http://www.indystar.com/article/20110210/SPORTS03/102100395/1058/SPORTS03/Colts-ready-use-franchise-tag-Manning

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Re: Peyton Manning Leaving the Colts, Part Deux

I heard about this. Of course, Underpants will defend this.

Note how the media swarms all over Brady not being signed, but now when they "disrespect" and "lie" to Gomer, the media doesn't say a word.

Hypocrites.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

sounds like the regular stuff that happens around contract negotiations.  Not sure why they didn't get it done before, but if the tag is only 23 million, they won't lose much in waiting. Bet it all gets done pretty soon.  then they will have spent, what 220 million over 18 years to only win the one superbowl?  because they sure aren't getting any better.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Peyton Manning Leaving the Colts, Part Deux:
    sounds like the regular stuff that happens around contract negotiations.  Not sure why they didn't get it done before, but if the tag is only 23 million, they won't lose much in waiting. Bet it all gets done pretty soon.  then they will have spent, what 220 million over 18 years to only win the one superbowl?  because they sure aren't getting any better.
    Posted by Davedsone

But...many teams would gladly fork over two #1 picks, and be willing to sign Peyton to huge money. A "poison pill" provision in the contract would take care of Indy trying to match the offer. So, the question is...does Peyton really want to remain a Colt?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

The news has far more distractions with the SB just ending, the CBA and draft coming on.  Above this, Manning is the media darling so it will be handled with kid gloves for sure.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

In Response to Re: Peyton Manning Leaving the Colts, Part Deux :      But...many teams would gladly fork over two #1 picks, and be willing to sign Peyton to huge money. A "poison pill" provision in the contract would take care of Indy trying to match the offer. So, the question is...does Peyton really want to remain a Colt?
    Posted by TexasPat3

good point. i bet san francisco or the vikings wouldn't mind giving them up being that both teams are just a QB away from being serious contenders.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Wow, read some of the comments in that article. Funny stuff.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

a team like minnesota would be scary with manning at QB Maybe a team like San Diego could swith Rivers to Indy and a first rounder. i spect manning to retire a colt.
    Posted by auchhhhhhhhhhh

I envision Peyton leaving Indy. If he really wanted to stay, he would have signed a deal right after Brady signed with the Pats. After all, the Colts  allegedly were prepared to pay him anything he wanted. So...why wait, and take a chance on getting hurt without a deal in place? Obviously, he has issues with management...and, perhaps he sees the window of opportunity closing in Hooterville?  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from patswirelessfan. Show patswirelessfan's posts

It would be a scary team if he went to Minny....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from df2. Show df2's posts

Two first rounders for a guy that is around 35 seems a little over the top.

I also think Peyton was exposed a bit this year. Suddenly, without a dominant offensive line to keep him squeaky clean, he didn't look like the same QB.

I'm not saying he's not a good QB. But I think that line in Indy has made Peyton look a lot better than he really is. Of course that didn't stop him from throwing them under the bus in the playoff loss to Pittsburg, now did it?

As you can tell, I'm not real high on the guy's leadership abilities. And I think he needs a great offensive line to dominate the way he did in Indy. He could still help a lot of teams. The question is, what would be the price?

Two first rounders for a guy that has leadership/mental toughness issues and has spent his whole life (college and pros) falling short in big games seems like way too much to me.

Then again, some moron paid Brett Favre (aka The Turnover Machine) 16 million. So what do I know?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JulesWinfield. Show JulesWinfield's posts

Two first rounders for a guy that is around 35 seems a little over the top. I also think Peyton was exposed a bit this year. Suddenly, without a dominant offensive line to keep him squeaky clean, he didn't look like the same QB. I'm not saying he's not a good QB. But I think that line in Indy has made Peyton look a lot better than he really is. Of course that didn't stop him from throwing them under the bus in the playoff loss to Pittsburg, now did it? As you can tell, I'm not real high on the guy's leadership abilities. And I think he needs a great offensive line to dominate the way he did in Indy. He could still help a lot of teams. The question is, what would be the price? Two first rounders for a guy that has leadership/mental toughness issues and has spent his whole life (college and pros) falling short in big games seems like way too much to me. Then again, some moron paid Brett Favre (aka The Turnover Machine) 16 million. So what do I know?
    Posted by df2

Interesting take.  I haven't heard anyone call the Colts' cast of cast-offs and no-names a "great line" before.  LT to RT, last year's starters came to the Colts as: 6th rounder, street FA, street FA, 2nd rounder, 4th rounder.  Other than Saturday, the only other Pro-Bowler they had in the last umpteen years was Tarek Glenn, who retired four years ago.  No...usually it's said that Manning makes the line look better...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Hate on Manning for whatever reasons you wish, but I think any QB without a good O line is "exposed".  Brady wouldn't be Brady if he had a bunch of tomato cans in front of him.  I think any QB would tell you his success is based in part on his O line so that's not really a good argument to me. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Well, I think I have to comment, don't I? 

First, anything any of us think about what all of this means is nothing but pure speculation. 

So, I think when a deal didn't get done in the offseason, start of the season, I think the Union got to Manning, and said, "if you don't sign, it will help us with our cause".  Can't pin that one on Brady.  Didn't want Gisele to be the only one paying for that LA home, I guess. 

I don't think Manning will ever play under the tag.  As noted in the article, the colts have a history of tagging then signing big players to longer term deals before the season starts. 

I'll grant you all this.  This must be fun for you.  Thankfully, a "disconnect" article hasn't been planted...yet. 

Now, on to your comments.  Rusty would find disrespect in someone calling Brady great, so its not surprising that he's used this thread as another opportunity to talk about how poorly the media treats the pats.

df2 takes a rather contrarian view.  Ask anyone who covers the colts/nfl for a living and they will tell you that their offensive has been mediocre at best since 07.  Manning does not get sacked or hit because he gets rid of the ball quickly and he relies on his receivers to be where they are expected to be.

As for the leadership thing, this happened 5-6 years ago?  You'll defend Belichick's cheating and teaching of cheating but you'll trash Manning?  Go figure.  I'll chalk it up to fandom. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

In Response to Re: Peyton Manning Leaving the Colts, Part Deux :      I envision Peyton leaving Indy. If he really wanted to stay, he would have signed a deal right after Brady signed with the Pats. After all, the Colts  allegedly were prepared to pay him anything he wanted. So...why wait, and take a chance on getting hurt without a deal in place? Obviously, he has issues with management...and, perhaps he sees the window of opportunity closing in Hooterville?  
    Posted by TexasPat3

I keep thinking back to the look on Manning's face when Caldwell called that timeout at the end of the Jets Playoff game. He must believe that they have an incompetent Head Coach leading the team and he must also be questioning the ability of this Colts team as constructed to win another SuperBowl or even improve from where they are now. I have to believe that a contract similar to what Brady got would clinch the deal so what's the Hold Up? It has to be certain intangibles such as personnel and or team philosophy. I do however wonder if another team would shell out 2 #1's for an aging quarterback. If so it would have to be a team that feels Manning puts them over the top immediately which really narrows the field(Maybe the Vikings). My money is on Manning signing back with the Colts but It is probably the most interesting offseason story and the longer it goes the more you have to wonder.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Dear Underpants,

The story is buried, goober.

It ran across the ticker last night and by comparison to the soap opera of Brady's deal last year, this is like you playing tiddly winks after school. 

No story, when in reality, it's beyond weird.

There is absolutely drama around it, no coverage of it, nothing.

Yet, all we heard this whole, entire time was Irsay saying "Gomer will be the highest paid, regardless".

Okie dokie, creepy, bible thumping Irsay. Where is it? Where is Gomer's deal?

The arrogance of that statement during Brady's contract negotiation and now the fact they aren't being held is such arrogance and hypocrisy, it's not even funny.

Yet, it goes completely right over your head because you are a blinded little tool.

And now to top it off, the media just ignores it, not calling the Colts "cheap" or implying they are trying to pull one over on the guy who put fannies in the seats in Gooberbville for the past 13 years.

See the differerence yet?

NE is professional, quiet about the whole thing, etc, and you spend time scouring over relentless articles about how Bob Kraft is cheap and Brady deserves more and this and that, etc.

You continued to post a Michael Silver article here over and over and over when it was all speculative. Now, we see Irsay's comments completely contradict what he said before and you act like it's nothing.

Where are the articles?  Where is the daily drama? Where is the media obsession?

Doesn't quite add up, does it?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Peyton Manning Leaving the Colts, Part Deux : I keep thinking back to the look on Manning's face when Caldwell called that timeout at the end of the Jets Playoff game. He must believe that they have an incompetent Head Coach leading the team and he must also be questioning the ability of this Colts team as constructed to win another SuperBowl or even improve from where they are now. I have to believe that a contract similar to what Brady got would clinch the deal so what's the Hold Up? It has to be certain intangibles such as personnel and or team philosophy. I do however wonder if another team would shell out 2 #1's for an aging quarterback. If so it would have to be a team that feels Manning puts them over the top immediately which really narrows the field(Maybe the Vikings). My money is on Manning signing back with the Colts but It is probably the most interesting offseason story and the longer it goes the more you have to wonder.
    Posted by Rerun85

How 'bout Manning's reaction when Caldwell pulled him from the Jets game at Indy in 2009, with the Colts well on their way to going 15-0. They were a  virtual certainty to tie the Pats' 16-0 2007 regular season run...with only lowly Buffalo remaining to stand in their way. I don't think that Manning has ever gotten over that. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Manning hasn't gotten over a lot.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

Go figure.  I'll chalk it up to fandom. 
    Posted by UD6

You're finally figuring it out. It only took how many years?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Russell,

There is no drama, because Manning and his agent are not giving it any drama, and because (as you noted) Irsay already said Manning would be the highest paid.  What is the drama in that? 

By the way, this franchise tag thing is being reported.  You just have your head stuck too far up BB to realize it.  ESPN, PFT, FoxSports, SI, there are plenty of outlets that have reported this. 

As I have said, I think Manning is doing some work here for the Union.  He's attended negotiating meetings along with Brees obviously at the request of his union.  I believe they think his current contractual position provides them some leverage (whatever that may be).

As for the "highest-paid player" comment, sometimes russ, your fingers get ahead of your mind, or your mind simply refuses to work.  Irsay first made those comments at Super Bowl Media day last year.  Was that during Brady's contract negotiation period?  And if Brady and Manning had contracts expire at the same time (as they did), wouldn't that also be Manning's negotiating time, too? 

Isn't it really both of their negotiating times?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd4ZbEATetg&feature=related

Russ, contrary to what your jaded mind believes, the world (and not even the football world) does not revolve around everything patriots.  Maybe your world does, but that's your problem.  Once again, your effort to spin something unrelated into a slight to patriots has failed again.  Failed.  Failed.  Failed. 

Russ, Manning's negotiation has nothing to do with the patriots being cheap. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In Response to Re: Peyton Manning Leaving the Colts, Part Deux : You're finally figuring it out. It only took how many years?
    Posted by niz-58

I've known it all along and have said it many many many times on this board. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Russell, There is no drama, because Manning and his agent are not giving it any drama, and because (as you noted) Irsay already said Manning would be the highest paid.  What is the drama in that?  By the way, this franchise tag thing is being reported.  You just have your head stuck too far up BB to realize it.  ESPN, PFT, FoxSports, SI, there are plenty of outlets that have reported this.  As I have said, I think Manning is doing some work here for the Union.  He's attended negotiating meetings along with Brees obviously at the request of his union.  I believe they think his current contractual position provides them some leverage (whatever that may be). As for the "highest-paid player" comment, sometimes russ, your fingers get ahead of your mind, or your mind simply refuses to work.  Irsay first made those comments at Super Bowl Media day last year.  Was that during Brady's contract negotiation period?  And if Brady and Manning had contracts expire at the same time (as they did), wouldn't that also be Manning's negotiating time, too?  Isn't it really both of their negotiating times? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd4ZbEATetg&feature=related Russ, contrary to what your jaded mind believes, the world (and not even the football world) does not revolve around everything patriots.  Maybe your world does, but that's your problem.  Once again, your effort to spin something unrelated into a slight to patriots has failed again.  Failed.  Failed.  Failed.  Russ, Manning's negotiation has nothing to do with the patriots being cheap. 
    Posted by UD6

It has not fsailed at all. My observatins of the hypocritical Colts organization and the media is spot on.

Completely accurate.

When you compare the Brady contract not being done last summer and how the Colts continued to say what they said and after witnessing the media behavior here, said media does not cover the Gomer contract in the same fashion.

FACT

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

In Response to Re: Peyton Manning Leaving the Colts, Part Deux : I've known it all along and have said it many many many times on this board. 
    Posted by UD6

And yet you still complain about it.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Niz - As do you and everyone else. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

Niz - As do you and everyone else. 
    Posted by UD6

Really? You have a post from me complaining about Pats fans going overboard with their fandom? I'd love to see it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Underpants done.

His Colts vision has him so far gone, there is no turning back.  The guy needs professional help.

Sections
Shortcuts