Peyton Manning Leaving the Colts, Part Deux

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Re: Peyton Manning Leaving the Colts, Part Deux

Was the release of Bob Sanders the first of what could be several cost-cutting measures to free up money...to wave at Peyton? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peduncle72. Show Peduncle72's posts

Very interesting read... All 6 pages.

Fact is that there is just no way Peyton gets cut, I believe that there is only one coach with the b@lls to cut a high profile player like Peyton, and he isnt coaching the colts. Think Adam V, Randy M, Mike V etc. but on a bigger scale. BB is likely the only coach in football who could make that kind of decision and survive it. IMO Peyton gets cut, and the coach who made the decision would get canned within the year if they arent in the superbowl.

On the flip side, my guess is that we will all be suprised when Brady gets cut for the very same reason...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Peyton Manning Leaving the Colts, Part Deux:
    [QUOTE]Very interesting read... All 6 pages. Fact is that there is just no way Peyton gets cut, I believe that there is only one coach with the b@lls to cut a high profile player like Peyton, and he isnt coaching the colts. Think Adam V, Randy M, Mike V etc. but on a bigger scale. BB is likely the only coach in football who could make that kind of decision and survive it. IMO Peyton gets cut, and the coach who made the decision would get canned within the year if they arent in the superbowl. On the flip side, my guess is that we will all be suprised when Brady gets cut for the very same reason...
    Posted by Peduncle72[/QUOTE]

Peyton won't get cut. What I'm saying is that there a good chance that he no longer wants to be a Colt, for the following reasons:

1.) Money: Though Colts' owner Jim Irsay is willing to pay him whatever he wants, the opportunities for earning money off the field are limited in Indy. But, if Peyton were playing in, say, LA or Dallas...his off-field earning potential is off the charts. I know that LA doesn't have a team yet. But the Vikings have been making noises about moving there...and they'd love to have Peyton at any price. 

2.) Power: Remember during the Steelers/Colts play-off game in Indy, during the 2005 play-offs, when Peyton overruled Tony Dungy's decision to punt on a 4th down, and kept the offense on the field? We'll...Peyton was overruled by Bill Polian and current Indy coach, Jim Caldwell...when they decided to pass on going for a perfect season, in 2009. The egotistical Manning has never gotten over that. 

3.) A Better Supporting Cast: The Colts are an aging team. Their OL is mediocre at best, and key defensive players like Gary Brackett and Dwight Freeney appear to be embarking on the down-sides of their careers. Unlike the Patriots, who have gradually rebuilt since 2009, the Colts appear to be on the decline. Manning realizes that the "window of opportunity" in Indy is rapidly closing.  

The Colts have franchised Peyton, slapping the so-called exclusive tag on him. What that means is that other teams are not allowed to make offers to him, even though he's technically a unrestricted free agent. Manning's options are to sign an extension with the Colts, sign a one year deal, and be paid $23mil. for the one year in 2011...or to hold out. A prolonged hold out by Peyton could force a trade.