PFF.coms Patriots projected line up...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

PFF.coms Patriots projected line up...

Looks like the Pats may already have their starting DT and SS in Siliga and Harmon.... Both turned in very good grades for the season.

It wasn’t a classic New England Patriots season as the offense took a step back early on before evolving into more of a running attack late in the season.  The defense appeared to be the strength of the team at the beginning of the season, but a string of injuries forced a slow decline that became exposed by the Denver Broncos in the AFC Championship.

Despite the turmoil, New England won yet another AFC East championship on the strength of a number of dramatic comebacks. They’re still the division favorites heading into 2014, but they have some re-tooling to do throughout the roster.

Key:
    -  Player markers are colored per class on a six-step ‘Poor’ to ‘High Quality’ scale based on their overall performance and the league’s elite are marked separately in blue.
    -  Colored outlines suggest a potential change in class.
    -  Underlined players will be 30+ years old for the 2014 season.
    -  Red player names suggest injury risks.
    -  Click on the image to enlarge.

Lineup NE

Roster Notes

-  One of the major stories of the Patriots’ 2013 season surrounded their tight ends and wide receivers as quarterback Tom Brady found himself throwing to a new cast of characters, including three rookie wide receivers. None of the rookies established themselves as steady threats, but Aaron Dobson and Kenbrell Thompkins flashed some potential that could make them viable options in the future. Still, there are a number of question marks at wide receiver as well as tight end where only an injury-prone Rob Gronkowski resides.

-  While the offensive line has been relatively stable through the years, the Patriots showed some weakness on the interior this past season. Center Ryan Wendell was unable to build on a surprisingly solid 2012 and he hits the market as a free agent, while right guard Dan Connolly earns the orange marker after two consecutive years as the line’s weakest link. The tackle spots look good as Nate Solder continues to emerge as one of the league’s best young left tackles while Sebastian Vollmer may be the best right tackle in the league, though health concerns have crept up in the past couple years.

-  It was an interesting year on the defensive line for New England as starting defensive tackles Vince Wilfork and Tommy Kelly were both lost for the season by Week 5. That forced undrafted rookies Chris Jones and Joe Vellano to play quite a few snaps with less than stellar results, but it also helped uncover a potential hidden gem in Sealver Siliga who emerged as a quality run stuffer grading at +7.6 on 221 snaps. It was the complete opposite at defensive end where starters Chandler Jones and Rob Ninkovich played 1,142 and 1,114 snaps respectively, the top two totals ever tracked for defensive linemen since 2008.

-  Despite losing LB Brandon Spikes to free agency, Dont’a Hightower’s late emergence in the middle should have the Patriots feeling good about their linebacking corps heading into 2014. Jerod Mayo will return after missing most of 2013 while Jamie Collins flashed his potential in a Divisional Round gem of a +7.9 performance.

-  On the back end, Devin McCourty was our top rated safety at +18.7 and the season looked promising with CB Aqib Talib playing an outstanding six games before battling injuries for the rest of the season. New England has to debate his worth in free agency as they’re left with a solid, yet unspectacular group of cornerbacks.

2014 Cap Situation

Only eight teams have less money available than the Patriots who currently sit almost $4 million over the cap according to overthecap.com. It doesn’t appear that they’ll be major players in free agency, especially with looming decisions on Talib and WR Julian Edelman. A couple veteran cuts and/or restructures should open the necessary room, but it’s likely that we’ll see another year of the Patriots looking for free agent bargains later in the process.

Potential Casualties

The most obvious potential cuts are Wilfork and Connolly. Wilfork has been a staple in the New England defensive front as well as a top notch leader in the locker room, but with nearly $8 million of cap space opening up if he’s cut, something will have to be done in order to keep him in New England. Connolly would provide nearly $3 million of savings, so his -12.9 overall grade makes him a likely casualty.

Opportunities from the Roster

Prior to his playoff breakout, Collins would certainly make this list, but he already appears to be entrenched in the starting lineup for 2014. Assuming Vollmer bounces back and Connolly is let go, Marcus Cannon could make the move inside to Connolly’s right guard spot. Cannon graded at-1.9 overall on 578 snaps in 2013, most of which came at right tackle. At defensive tackle, Chris Jones and Vellano struggled for the most part in every-down roles, but they could emerge as valuable players in more of a rotation. Siliga should also be right in the mix for a starting spot depending on Wilfork’s status. Safety Duron Harmon posted a solid +1.2 grade on 431 snaps and he could become a viable replacement for SS Steve Gregory at some point.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

Re: PFF.coms Patriots projected line up...

Not sure where you got the figure from. They have. The pats at $7.3M under

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

Miguel has them at 5.5M under

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

sorry his article has them 11M under. Didn't finish reading the full page

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

If the projected WR's are Dobson, Thompkins and Amendola then that is just plain pathetic.  The offense is in trouble.  I don't like seeing Gregory still on the list and no Talib?  Wilfork and Kelly still on the list too?  This projection doesn't show any FA's added to the team?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

the projections make a lot of assumptions regarding restructure, free agency and the draft...isnt it really, really, really too early for this?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bungalow-Bill. Show Bungalow-Bill's posts

Um, why is Tom Brady not considered an "elite starter"?

Awful lot of yellow at the skill positions and in secondary.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CatfishHunter. Show CatfishHunter's posts

If the league allows us to line up 12 players (like the illustration shows) I like our chances.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Interesting..  Gronk an "elite" starter, Brady is not.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Based upon last year (TB) stats and who is signed on the roster now

I think DT SS and Oline are the most pressing needs

We dont know about Talib yet

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to seawolfxs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'd like to draft a 1st round DT, sign a veteran SS to compete with harmon who imo looked good, and go after a mid round TE AND a veteran TE like Chandler, or Pettigrew even though I don't think those guys are great or anything. Then get 2nd round CB and mid to late round o line depth. I think Cannon takes Connoly's guard spot. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from fishers5. Show fishers5's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to seawolfxs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'd like to draft a 1st round DT, sign a veteran SS to compete with harmon who imo looked good, and go after a mid round TE AND a veteran TE like Chandler, or Pettigrew even though I don't think those guys are great or anything. Then get 2nd round CB and mid to late round o line depth. I think Cannon takes Connoly's guard spot. 

[/QUOTE]

Have to agree on chandler, but have watched Lions quite a bit and he has way too many drops and is starting to be dinged up and not available way to much.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

First of all I don't know who came up with the cap numbers. As my running total started before any cap change when it was still 123mil they had 4.25 mil available at that point in Time since then there have been two updates as to the actual cap number for 2014 the first one had it at 126 mil which would have had the Patriots at 7.25 mil under the cap, Then came Laconfora's forecast of 130 mil shortly thereafter John Clayton announced the cap would be set at 132mil if this is the actual number then the Patriots will start with a whopping 13.25 mil in operating capitol before they do any manuavering i.e. cuts, restructures and or money they get back from the contract dispute with Hernandez. As for the projected lineup, noone can project the roster let alone the starting lineup. One guy is for sure, provided he's not injured or dead, TB will be the starting QB. Also here is the most updated Cap info I just read on a column by Mike Florio on PFT.com the Cap will be closer to 135mil this year, I read this atricle after I wrote this blog.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Yeah bozo I think that article was written before the news of increased cap came out. A little over 4 million was the figure they were saying before, and they are projecting the line up based on players that are currently on the roster...which is all we have to go by anyway.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric1. Show KyleCleric1's posts

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/25/source-cap-will-be-higher-than-132-million/

The cap isn't set yet but according to miguel it's 11.67m at 132M. Any set amount beyond 132m is more cap space. Also, Pats have obvious cuts in Sopoage (2.08M in space) and Adrian Wilson (746k in space), and there are dozens of other ways for them to make more space if needed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to Bungalow-Bill's comment:

Yea that pretty much ruins the post. Gronk and Vollmer are elite but Brady is not?

So Brady is on the same level as McCourty now?

Edit: I think I get it now. Since this a projection, they are essentially saying Hightower will be a high quality starter with improvement from last year and that Brady is gonna decline from Elite to hight quality starter. I guess I feel a little better although I dont agree.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In response to KyleCleric1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/25/source-cap-will-be-higher-than-132-million/

The cap isn't set yet but according to miguel it's 11.67m at 132M. Any set amount beyond 132m is more cap space. Also, Pats have obvious cuts in Sopoage (2.08M in space) and Adrian Wilson (746k in space), and there are dozens of other ways for them to make more space if needed.

[/QUOTE] Yeah evidently PFT.com has a better source than Miguel. They are now saying the Cap will be closer to 135mil, I'll do the basic math, they had 4.25 left over from last year. That cap was 123mil add an additional 12mil to the balance available that equals 16mil under the cap without any moves. I don't care who says what, that's plenty of room to make a couple of moves, and still have money available for their rookies. Should they cut Gregory and his 2mil and Wendell and his 2 mil your now at 20 mil and that doesn't include another 10 moves they could make to further ease their cap situation.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/category/_/name/defensive-snaps-2

this link may be helpful in determining who starts next year. Its a game by game breakdown of the snap count for each position and how they faired and why their snap counts varied from week to week. I found it to be interesting in that regard.

Just as I thought, BB had Nink and C.J. play EVERY DEFENSIVE SNAP going back to our November game vs the Steelers. So from November to January you had your Starting DE's play EVERY snap and did the same in the AFCCCG and BB expected WHAT Exactly from these two after wearing them out??

Same Reason Wilfork went down and then trickled to Kelly. BB is always asking TOO MUCH of his better players to compensate for the trashy Depth he has on the team each year!   and yet you guys tell it, he is the greatest GM ever....lol

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to KyleCleric1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] Yeah evidently PFT.com has a better source than Miguel. They are now saying the Cap will be closer to 135mil, I'll do the basic math, they had 4.25 left over from last year. That cap was 123mil add an additional 12mil to the balance available that equals 16mil under the cap without any moves. I don't care who says what, that's plenty of room to make a couple of moves, and still have money available for their rookies. Should they cut Gregory and his 2mil and Wendell and his 2 mil your now at 20 mil and that doesn't include another 10 moves they could make to further ease their cap situation.

[/QUOTE]

and a connoly cut..3 million in savings afer a bad year. Extend VW to save 6 mill, etc.... Pats are fine, the more I look at it, I expect Talib and Edelman back.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yea that pretty much ruins the post. Gronk and Vollmer are elite but Brady is not?

Edit: I think I get it now. Since this a projection, they are essentially saying Hightower will be a high quality starter when improvement from last year and that Brady is gonna decline from Elite to hight quality starter. I guess I feel a little better although I dont agree.

[/QUOTE]

I mean Brady is 37 years old next year. They have him as high quality starter after his worst completion % in 10 years and his fewest tds in 7 years. 

Maybe they didn't have the luxury of using triple OG's "eye test" to tell who is great and who isn't?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric1. Show KyleCleric1's posts

I think PFT was probably Miguel's source (or they shared sources) for the 132m amount. There just hasn't been a new announcement yet for a firm amount beyond that.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Edit: I think I get it now. Since this a projection, they are essentially saying Hightower will be a high quality starter when improvement from last year and that Brady is gonna decline from Elite to hight quality starter. I guess I feel a little better although I dont agree.

[/QUOTE]

I mean Brady is 37 years old next year. They have him as high quality starter after his worst completion % in 10 years and his fewest tds in 7 years. 

Maybe they didn't have the luxury of using triple OG's "eye test" to tell who is great and who isn't?

[/QUOTE]

OR Maybe he went most the year without any reliable threats. How about the 8 weeks we had no Vareen and tried to use Bolden as a pass catcher!?  Let me guess, you think Hooman was a great tartet? The guy who logged 4 catches in 5 games when Gronk was out. How about K.T.? The 27 y/o crack dealer who got us excited in preseason only to look like a scrub during the year. Or was it Boyce, the guy who was redshirted or Flobson who looked like he had stone hands and broke his foot running a straight line. You dont think surrounding Brady with this joke of a cast had anything to do wiht it? Of Course you dont. Oh did I mention we signed Collie and he was starting in the playoffs??!!!  Bwahaaa, Keep at it man. Somebodys gotta drink the Kool Aid. I gave it up years ago but YOU KEEP CHUGGING MAN! 

The fact you keep bringing up my "eye test" quote tells me you are jealous of fans who can form their own opinion. Must s*ck to have to look to clowns like Paul Perillo for football acumen...lol

Keep up the Good Fight Buddy! You are a TRUE Patri - Ot

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

OR Maybe he went most the year without any reliable threats. How about the 8 weeks we had no Vareen and tried to use Bolden as a pass catcher!?  Let me guess, you think Hooman was a great tartet? The guy who logged 4 catches in 5 games when Gronk was out. How about K.T.? The 27 y/o crack dealer who got us excited in preseason only to look like a scrub during the year. Or was it Boyce, the guy who was redshirted or Flobson who looked like he had stone hands and broke his foot running a straight line. You dont think surrounding Brady with this joke of a cast had anything to do wiht it? Of Course you dont. Oh did I mention we signed Collie and he was starting in the playoffs??!!!  Bwahaaa, Keep at it man. Somebodys gotta drink the Kool Aid. I gave it up years ago but YOU KEEP CHUGGING MAN! 

The fact you keep bringing up my "eye test" quote tells me you are jealous of fans who can form their own opinion. Must s*ck to have to look to clowns like Paul Perillo for football acumen...lol

[/QUOTE]

Of course I think it had to do with his supporting cast, but the fact is he  was a 60% completion passer with 25 tds to 11 int's, and was 17th in the league in rating. We all know he is still elite but to a subjective eye based on his performance last year, he fell below the elite tier.

RK PLAYER TEAM COMP ATT PCT YDS YDS/A LONG TD INT SACK RATE YDS/G 1 Nick Foles, QB PHI 203 317 64.0 2,891 9.12 63 27 2 28 119.2 222 2 Peyton Manning, QB DEN 450 659 68.3 5,477 8.31 78 55 10 18 115.1 342 3 Josh McCown, QB CHI 149 224 66.5 1,829 8.17 80 13 1 11 109.0 229 4 Philip Rivers, QB SD 378 544 69.5 4,478 8.23 60 32 11 30 105.5 280 5 Aaron Rodgers, QB GB 193 290 66.6 2,536 8.75 83 17 6 21 104.9 282 6 Drew Brees, QB NO 446 650 68.6 5,162 7.94 76 39 12 37 104.7 323 7 Russell Wilson, QB SEA 257 407 63.1 3,357 8.25 80 26 9 44 101.2 210 8 Tony Romo, QB DAL 342 535 63.9 3,828 7.16 82 31 10 35 96.7 255 9 Ben Roethlisberger, QB PIT 375 584 64.2 4,261 7.30 67 28 14 42 92.0 266 10 Colin Kaepernick, QB SF 243 416 58.4 3,197 7.69 64 21 8 39 91.6 200 RK PLAYER TEAM COMP ATT PCT YDS YDS/A LONG TD INT SACK RATE YDS/G 11 Sam Bradford, QB STL 159 262 60.7 1,687 6.44 73 14 4 15 90.9 241 12 Matt Ryan, QB ATL 439 651 67.4 4,515 6.94 81 26 17 44 89.6 282 13 Jay Cutler, QB CHI 224 355 63.1 2,621 7.38 67 19 12 19 89.2 238 14 Alex Smith, QB KC 308 508 60.6 3,313 6.52 71 23 7 39 89.1 221 15 Andy Dalton, QB CIN 363 586 61.9 4,296 7.33 82 33 20 29 88.8 269 16 Cam Newton, QB CAR 292 473 61.7 3,379 7.14 79 24 13 43 88.8 211 17 Tom Brady, QB NE 380 628 60.5 4,343 6.92 81 25 11 40 87.3 271 18 Andrew Luck, QB IND 343 570 60.2 3,822 6.71 73 23 9 32 87.0 239 19 Matthew Stafford, QB DET 371 634 58.5 4,650 7.33 87 29 19 23 84.2 291 20 Carson Palmer, QB ARI 362 572 63.3 4,274 7.47 91 24 22 41 83.9 267

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Of course I think it had to do with his supporting cast, but the fact is he  was a 60% completion passer with 25 tds to 11 int's, and was 17th in the league in rating. We all know he is still elite but to a subjective eye based on his performance last year, he fell below the elite tier.

RK PLAYER TEAM COMP ATT PCT YDS YDS/A LONG TD INT SACK RATE YDS/G 1 Nick Foles, QB PHI 203 317 64.0 2,891 9.12 63 27 2 28 119.2 222 2 Peyton Manning, QB DEN 450 659 68.3 5,477 8.31 78 55 10 18 115.1 342 3 Josh McCown, QB CHI 149 224 66.5 1,829 8.17 80 13 1 11 109.0 229 4 Philip Rivers, QB SD 378 544 69.5 4,478 8.23 60 32 11 30 105.5 280 5 Aaron Rodgers, QB GB 193 290 66.6 2,536 8.75 83 17 6 21 104.9 282 6 Drew Brees, QB NO 446 650 68.6 5,162 7.94 76 39 12 37 104.7 323 7 Russell Wilson, QB SEA 257 407 63.1 3,357 8.25 80 26 9 44 101.2 210 8 Tony Romo, QB DAL 342 535 63.9 3,828 7.16 82 31 10 35 96.7 255 9 Ben Roethlisberger, QB PIT 375 584 64.2 4,261 7.30 67 28 14 42 92.0 266 10 Colin Kaepernick, QB SF 243 416 58.4 3,197 7.69 64 21 8 39 91.6 200 RK PLAYER TEAM COMP ATT PCT YDS YDS/A LONG TD INT SACK RATE YDS/G 11 Sam Bradford, QB STL 159 262 60.7 1,687 6.44 73 14 4 15 90.9 241 12 Matt Ryan, QB ATL 439 651 67.4 4,515 6.94 81 26 17 44 89.6 282 13 Jay Cutler, QB CHI 224 355 63.1 2,621 7.38 67 19 12 19 89.2 238 14 Alex Smith, QB KC 308 508 60.6 3,313 6.52 71 23 7 39 89.1 221 15 Andy Dalton, QB CIN 363 586 61.9 4,296 7.33 82 33 20 29 88.8 269 16 Cam Newton, QB CAR 292 473 61.7 3,379 7.14 79 24 13 43 88.8 211 17 Tom Brady, QB NE 380 628 60.5 4,343 6.92 81 25 11 40 87.3 271 18 Andrew Luck, QB IND 343 570 60.2 3,822 6.71 73 23 9 32 87.0 239 19 Matthew Stafford, QB DET 371 634 58.5 4,650 7.33 87 29 19 23 84.2 291 20 Carson Palmer, QB ARI 362 572 63.3 4,274 7.47 91 24 22 41 83.9 267

[/QUOTE]

WT F is This?  More of your meaningless stats that you run to when you dont have any commen sense to use context in football?

So since you replied with this hot garbage, would you trade Brady straight up for Sam Bradford today? How about Josh McCown?  answer me that True

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

[QUOTE]

Looks like the Pats may already have their starting DT and SS in Siliga and Harmon.... Both turned in very good grades for the season.

It wasn’t a classic New England Patriots season as the offense took a step back early on before evolving into more of a running attack late in the season.  The defense appeared to be the strength of the team at the beginning of the season, but a string of injuries forced a slow decline that became exposed by the Denver Broncos in the AFC Championship.

Despite the turmoil, New England won yet another AFC East championship on the strength of a number of dramatic comebacks. They’re still the division favorites heading into 2014, but they have some re-tooling to do throughout the roster.

Key:
    -  Player markers are colored per class on a six-step ‘Poor’ to ‘High Quality’ scale based on their overall performance and the league’s elite are marked separately in blue.
    -  Colored outlines suggest a potential change in class.
    -  Underlined players will be 30+ years old for the 2014 season.
    -  Red player names suggest injury risks.
    -  Click on the image to enlarge.

Lineup NE

Roster Notes

I sort of like this visual aid in looking at the Pats. It is really sort of unimportant if there is a disagreement one who and where specific players are rated -It does give a sense of strength of the team as a whole

I would love to see the top tier teams and a few of the bottom

I would also like to see the ave starting contract by position of the top teams 

Many here have been saying that SS is a need. IS Harmon the answer? Speed, physicality and coverage ability? I do not know

[/QUOTE]

Sections
Shortcuts