Physical

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Physical

I'm going to state the obvious...last night's game stunk. My daughter went to see One Direction at Gillette and I almost wonder if I should of gone to spare myself from that game last night. That's how bad it was.

Having said that I think there are two players that we signed this off season who are made for playoff football...Will Smith and Browner.

We all know that when the weather gets cold and it's the playoffs, things are different. Things are called different - those pass interference plays are given a little pass - and the running increases. I like both Smith and Browner for those situations. I saw both of these guys play physical last night like I haven't seen from players on our defense in a long time. I think both can help.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

Re: Physical

intimidation is a big factor on a defense, and we've been lacking this for years, now this guys could scare other teams offense. The only problem about Browner is the PI calls, but he is a veteran and probably will adjust to it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from m. a. pat. Show m. a. pat's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm going to state the obvious...last night's game stunk. My daughter went to see One Direction at Gillette and I almost wonder if I should of gone to spare myself from that game last night. That's how bad it was.

Having said that I think there are two players that we signed this off season who are made for playoff football...Will Smith and Browner.

We all know that when the weather gets cold and it's the playoffs, things are different. Things are called different - those pass interference plays are given a little pass - and the running increases. I like both Smith and Browner for those situations. I saw both of these guys play physical last night like I haven't seen from players on our defense in a long time. I think both can help.

[/QUOTE]

I'm glad you saw a couple positives in the game. I was going to watch it and much to my surprise it was blacked out in my area. I DVRed it on NFLN and will probably catch it Sunday night.

Pats definitely need physical players on both sides of the ball in the playoffs. The last few years they've gotten dominated when advancing and facing tougher opponents.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to PATSchampsSB's comment:
    [QUOTE]

intimidation is a big factor on a defense, and we've been lacking this for years, now this guys could scare other teams offense. The only problem about Browner is the PI calls, but he is a veteran and probably will adjust to it.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah he's going to have to figure it out, but I do find that in the playoffs they let stuff go. Did you see him make that play in run support last night? He blew up a blocker and then tackled the running back for little or no gain. Impressive. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah he's going to have to figure it out, but I do find that in the playoffs they let stuff go. Did you see him make that play in run support last night? He blew up a blocker and then tackled the running back for little or no gain. Impressive. 

[/QUOTE]

hopefully, the refs will be more lax during end of season and during playoff games and just let the teams play football.

Can our DL and OL be more physical.....sure hope so

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to m. a. pat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm glad you saw a couple positives in the game. I was going to watch it and much to my surprise it was blacked out in my area. I DVRed it on NFLN and will probably catch it Sunday night.

Pats definitely need physical players on both sides of the ball in the playoffs. The last few years they've gotten dominated when advancing and facing tougher opponents.

[/QUOTE]

I think it's key, you just can't go into a playoff game and let the other team punch you in the mouth. And it's not about these big fancy plays...jacking a receiver up...it's about physically being able to win some of these battles of strength. Being able to impose your will on an offense in the redzone. Being able to stop a third and one...when's the last time we did that? When's the last time we made a quarterback hold onto the ball longer than he wanted and then hit him hard enough to think about it? We didn't do that to Peyton last year and a few years ago I watched us make Mark Sanchez look like Joe Montana.

Again, it doesn't have to be fancy - doesn't have to be highlight stuff - it just needs to be there. I think Browner and Smith can bring that.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to OnlyDaTruth's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

hopefully, the refs will be more lax during end of season and during playoff games and just let the teams play football.

Can our DL and OL be more physical.....sure hope so

[/QUOTE]

Yeah the offensive line needs to improve, no doubt about that. As for the defensive line, I imagine Chandler Jones, Vince, Kelly and Smith could really amp up the physicality that is needed against good teams in the playoffs. And who knows? With this secondary maybe a guy like Easley could be paired up with Chris Jones in the middle, Chandler on end and whoever on the other end...and get after it on third downs. They actually may be able to get away with blitzing with a guy like Revis out there too.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

+1 Good thread Mthurl.

This is what makes this year's team different from the teams previous 5-6 years.

Browner is ultra physical when covering and can hit. Smith is a big boy on the end as a rusher.

Revis is even a very physical CB as well. So is Dennard.

Offensively, I was hoping to see Stork beat out Wendell and Cannon beat out Connolly so beef up the line but idk how that is going to happen now. But in general we have some physicality on offense too. Ridley is a bigger runner. White can be that as well. Gronk and Lafell can be bigger too.

This trait in this team moves away from the finesse crap we've had over the past few years and we can bully teams to victory in January and February hopefully.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from m. a. pat. Show m. a. pat's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I think it's key, you just can't go into a playoff game and let the other team punch you in the mouth. And it's not about these big fancy plays...jacking a receiver up...it's about physically being able to win some of these battles of strength. Being able to impose your will on an offense in the redzone. Being able to stop a third and one...when's the last time we did that? When's the last time we made a quarterback hold onto the ball longer than he wanted and then hit him hard enough to think about it? We didn't do that to Peyton last year and a few years ago I watched us make Mark Sanchez look like Joe Montana.

Again, it doesn't have to be fancy - doesn't have to be highlight stuff - it just needs to be there. I think Browner and Smith can bring that.

[/QUOTE]

Well said. On offense when's the last time you had confidence we could run the ball on third and 1 and get the first down? The SB teams could either stop the opponets on third and short or play smash mouth offense when they needed a yard or two.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Mthurl, I wouldn't worry too much about last night's performance.  That was a very odd mix of bottom of the roster guys in most positions and there was clearly no game planning at all.  That's not going to be anything like what we see in the regular season.  At best, all you can take from it is that a lot of the bottom of the roster still has a long way to go.  But camp just started . . .

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Section136. Show Section136's posts

For me the best part of last night was - no injuries and a lot of teaching points for the coaching staff!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

I think 1 thing is obvious from last night, and I mean abundantly obvious.....Brian Tyms is our best receiver and Jimmy the Greek is our best QB. 

And to murtl's point, I believe Dennard will be the starting #2CB across from Revis all year, and Ryan and Arrington will also play as much or more then Browner. I think he has lost the fluidity in his hips and will have trouble with holding all year as he did las year and in camp so far. I still think he plays an in the box DB role who can cover TE's or roam the field a bit as an intimidator. I won't call it a "safety" because I know how that label upsets some of you. 

[object HTMLDivElement]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Mthurl, I wouldn't worry too much about last night's performance.  That was a very odd mix of bottom of the roster guys in most positions and there was clearly no game planning at all.  That's not going to be anything like what we see in the regular season.  At best, all you can take from it is that a lot of the bottom of the roster still has a long way to go.  But camp just started . . .

[/QUOTE]

No I don't even consider last night a preseason game, it was actually less than that.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think 1 thing is obvious from last night, and I mean abundantly obvious.....Brian Tyms is our best receiver and Jimmy the Greek is our best QB. 

And to murtl's point, I believe Dennard will be the starting #2CB across from Revis all year, and Ryan and Arrington will also play as much or more then Browner. I think he has lost the fluidity in his hips and will have trouble with holding all year as he did las year and in camp so far. I still think he plays an in the box DB role who can cover TE's or roam the field a bit as an intimidator. I won't call it a "safety" because I know how that label upsets some of you. 

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah I think Dennard will be starting across from Revis too, he is good player that plays physical for his size, however like you said, Browner will have a place on this defense as well.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well said. On offense when's the last time you had confidence we could run the ball on third and 1 and get the first down? The SB teams could either stop the opponets on third and short or play smash mouth offense when they needed a yard or two.

[/QUOTE]

Good point.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:
    [QUOTE]

+1 Good thread Mthurl.

This is what makes this year's team different from the teams previous 5-6 years.

Browner is ultra physical when covering and can hit. Smith is a big boy on the end as a rusher.

Offensively, I was hoping to see Stork beat out Wendell and Cannon beat out Connolly so beef up the line but idk how that is going to happen now. But in general we have some physicality on offense too. Ridley is a bigger runner. White can be that as well. Gronk and Lafell can be bigger too.

This trait in this team moves away from the finesse crap we've had over the past few years and we can bully teams to victory in January and February hopefully.

[/QUOTE]

Speaking of Lafell, I thought he looked good in his limited opportunities last night. He looks big - someone else wrote that he wasn't a big guy - but I thought he looked big...long arms, some height, etc. My opinion on him is that if he can catch 60 balls, it will help the offense. I thought Thompkins looked good too, he held on to some difficult throws with a guy hanging all over him. That was a good sign because last year he would of lost that battle...again, this is where a guy like Browner helps, he was getting into it with Thompkins last week. Those things help players get better.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

[QUOTE]
    Speaking of Lafell, I thought he looked good in his limited opportunities last night. He looks big - someone else wrote that he wasn't a big guy - but I thought he looked big...long arms, some height, etc. My opinion on him is that if he can catch 60 balls, it will help the offense. I thought Thompkins looked good too, he held on to some difficult throws with a guy hanging all over him. That was a good sign because last year he would of lost that battle...again, this is where a guy like Browner helps, he was getting into it with Thompkins last week. Those things help players get better.

[/QUOTE]

I think LaFell looked good as well.

And when it comes to big, it depends on what you define it as... I mean height and length wise, he is long which is nice to have. While he isn't like a solid WR with a bigger frame like a Marshall or someone of that nature he still plays the game physically which I like. He's regarded as a very good blocker which is also another plus with him.

I think he will always drop a ball here and there and of course people will jump on him for it, but I've been high on him since the signing and think he can b the #2 option and producer on this team behind Gronk.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

+1 Good thread Mthurl.

[/QUOTE]

I do believe that both Stork and Cannon will be playing majority snaps by the 6th or 7th game

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

+1 Good thread Mthurl.

[/QUOTE]

I do believe that both Stork and Cannon will be playing majority snaps by the 6th or 7th game

[/QUOTE]

I think Cannon starts at RG week one.