Pick 3 Players - Keys for the Season

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobomul. Show bobomul's posts

Pick 3 Players - Keys for the Season

Who are the key Patriots that need to perform in order for them to return to the Super Bowl this year?  Limit 3: Obviously if everyone plays up to their maximum potential NE will romp and obviously not everyone on the team will.  So who's the 3 players that you think can make or break their SB chances?  Here's mine:

1.  Jarvis Green (DE) - Comming off a poor 2009 season, a lot will depend on Green with Seymore's departure.  JG will probably get time as RDE in both the 3-4 and the 4-3.  Assuming they play the 4-3 as their base, the pass rush will have to come from the D Ends (as oppossed to in the 3-4 where it the OLBs generate sacks).  Green needs to show he can stop the run and the pass and become a consistent 2 way defensive player.

2.  Gary Guyton (LB) - Has the speed to play OLB in a 4-3 system and the size to play ILB in the 3-4 but will he have the smarts and instinct to perform in BB's complicated LB system? It's a lot to ask of a undrafted 2nd year player.  If Guyton is a bust then we'll be seeing a lot more of Ninkovich and Woods than most here would prefer.

3. Nick Kaczur (OT) - NE his carrying only 3 OTs on the squad with a rookie Sea Bass being one of them.  An ineffective or injured Kaczur would put a lot of pressure on the rest of the line and likely too much pressure on Tom Terrific.  Some just look at the Left OT spot as the pass protector, but that's not historically true. SI did an article last year analyzing the connection between a strong LOT and the overall line play and found out that there was NO connection whatsoever.  Theory being the Defenses will identify the weakness in the OL, wheter it's at LOT, ROT, RG - wherever - and exploit the weakness.   NE needs a healthy Brady and thus needs the ROT spot to hold up under pressure.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2.. Show Tcal2.'s posts

Re: Pick 3 - Keys for the Season

1) Offensive line protecting Brady.

2) Pass rush.

3) DB making plays.

Defense making 3rd down stops, which is a combination of 2 + 3.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from markinFl13. Show markinFl13's posts

1. Tom Brady stays healthy and plays like 2007 Tom Brady. 
    2. Tom Brady stays healthy and plays like 2007 Tom Brady. 
    3. Tom Brady stays healthy and plays like 2007 Tom Brady. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobomul. Show bobomul's posts

In Response to Re: Pick 3 - Keys for the Season:
    1. Tom Brady stays healthy and plays like 2007 Tom Brady.  2. Tom Brady stays healthy and plays like 2007 Tom Brady.  3. Tom Brady stays healthy and plays like 2007 Tom Brady. 
    Posted by markinFl13

Brady played like Brady in 2007 but the Pats still did not win the Super Bowl.  Even if healthy, he won't get 50 TDs this season.  But I'm NOT worrying about Brady, he'll be fine.  It's the other parts of the puzzle that will deterimen success or failure in their quest for another ring.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobomul. Show bobomul's posts

1) Offensive line protecting Brady. 2) Pass rush. 3) DB making plays. Defense making 3rd down stops, which is a combination of 2 + 3.
    Posted by Kmax

Thanks for narrowing it down Kmax. Why don't you just say "scoring more points than the other guys"?

What PLAYERS do you feel need to step up their game for NE to win another SB ring.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

Hi Leon,
    I'm just fine, little under the weather though.  Anyways before I list my 3 Keys to the season, I'd like you to list the New Jersey Jests' keys.

1. 3rd Down/Redzone Defense-Plagued us all year long last year.

2. Young players with experience in the D (Guyton, Meriweather, Sanders, Mayo) need to step up and lead an inexperienced defense.

3. Oline keeping Brady on his feet-we can't risk losing Brady again.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

As for players, 

1. Gary Guyton-His production at OLB is HUGE for our success 
    2. Derrick Burgess-Gave up a #3 on him, needs to boost this pass rush
    3. Matt Light- Our "Top Tackle" has not been at top form lately, Kazcur is below average so we need Light to hold anchor the corners.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NE-decade-of-my-dreams. Show NE-decade-of-my-dreams's posts

I'll pick the three players whom I believe, if they do not perform up to their past standards would make the Patriots non contenders.

#1 has to be Vince Wilfork... without him in the center of the defense, it would put a great deal of pressure on the rest of the defense. I dont think they could be effective without VW playing.

#2 Wes Welker... Other teams really have to game plan for this guy. He creates sooo many opportunities on his own that it would be a great loss if he doesn't perform like he has the last 2 years. He is possible the most underrated 100 reception per year receiver i've ever seen.

#3 Tom Brady... for obvious reasons

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

In Response to Pick 3 - Keys for the Season:
     Who are the key Patriots that need to perform in order for them to return to the Super Bowl this year?  Limit 3 : Obviously if everyone plays up to their maximum potential NE will romp and obviously not everyone on the team will.  So who's the 3 players that you think can make or break their SB chances?  Here's mine: 1.   Jarvis Green (DE)  - Comming off a poor 2009 season, a lot will depend on Green with Seymore's departure.  JG will probably get time as RDE in both the 3-4 and the 4-3.  Assuming they play the 4-3 as their base, the pass rush will have to come from the D Ends (as oppossed to in the 3-4 where it the OLBs generate sacks).  Green needs to show he can stop the run and the pass and become a consistent 2 way defensive player. 2.  Gary Guyton (LB) - Has the speed to play OLB in a 4-3 system and the size to play ILB in the 3-4 but will he have the smarts and instinct to perform in BB's complicated LB system? It's a lot to ask of a undrafted 2nd year player.  If Guyton is a bust then we'll be seeing a lot more of Ninkovich and Woods than most here would prefer. 3. Nick Kaczur (OT) -  NE his carrying only 3 OTs on the squad with a rookie Sea Bass being one of them.  An ineffective or injured Kaczur would put a lot of pressure on the rest of the line and likely too much pressure on Tom Terrific.  Some just look at the Left OT spot as the pass protector, but that's not historically true. SI did an article last year analyzing the connection between a strong LOT and the overall line play and found out that there was NO connection whatsoever.  Theory being the Defenses will identify the weakness in the OL, wheter it's at LOT, ROT, RG - wherever - and exploit the weakness.   NE needs a healthy Brady and thus needs the ROT spot to hold up under pressure.
    Posted by bobomul

My picks are:

1) Mayo:  Yes, Mayo because he is the mike in the new 4-3, which I think we will see a lot of because it plays to Mayo/Guyton's strengths which is speed and open field tackling. He is the key to dictating the D, and his responsibilities are complex. Example: since we do 4-3 2 gap, assuming run, mike is assigned center as primary defeat and must shed lead block to stop rb advance forcing cutback, etc.  Guyton as Will (weakside) has secondary flat responsibility, e.g, being aware of misdirection play, etc. etc. so his gameplaying ability is predicated and rarely intuitive (as opposed to Mayo).

2) 3rd/4th WR we know what #1/2 can do, but it is up to #3 to beat single coverage or at least take advantage of it because we know Moss draws the double or deep roll, and Welker gets heavy slot coverage, and #3 must nullify this. If Galloway is as advertised and if he gets on the same page as Brady, his breakaway speed forces those options, thereby lessening wear/tear on Moss and Welker.

3) Running game NE must engender effective running game to counter pressure up the middle that other teams will bring against Brady. Most people wrongly assume blitzing as key to beating Brady whereas pressure up the middle is far more effective as it collapses pocket. Having a good running game forces opponent D to worry about gap discipline on LOS. Assuming 1 gap 4-3 D, the gaps are nullified by pulling G, so instead of ILB shooting gap, they must slant away (D gap).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

1.  Tom Brady - has to make accurate passes to every point on the field, thereby advancing our offense to the endzone.

2.  Matt Light - has to protect Brady's blindside, thereby enabling Brady to make accurate passes.

3.  Stephen Gostkowski - has to kick accurately when the team lines up for extra points, field goals, and kickoffs.

But assuming all the proven players continue to play as they have for the past few years, we need these unproven guys to step up:

1.  Jarvis Green - was a proven guy but had an off year.  Hopefully he is healthy, can play RDE in the 4-3 and beat the best left tackles in the game.

2.  Derrick Burgess - New to the system, injured the last few years.  If he and Green can consistently pressure the quarterback from both end spots, our D's gonna be good.

3.  Kevin Faulk - he is proven, but up there in years and I am scared he may be injured, or get injured during a playoff game like he did in 2006 and 2007.  If he goes down, no one can do what he does for the offense.  His job is to stay healthy. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from crasian. Show crasian's posts

1-Tom Brady and the offense needs to score big to keep the other team throwing, and playing from behind. ( Brady's knee!)

2-O-line needs give to protect the franchise! 

3- Defense needs to makes stops on 3rd downs this year! Please!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MaritimePatsFan. Show MaritimePatsFan's posts

I don't agree with the 3 players that have to step up for this team to be successful. We need better play from certain positions though. With that in mind here are my 3 plositions/players that we need more from.

Safety(Sanders, Merriweather): I think on defense it starts here. The front seven will be fine stopping the run but it is up to the secondary to effectively stop the pass. Sanders and Merriweather are the longest tenured Pats in the secondary and it is up to them to communicate to the corners what is going on. One or both need to step up and somewhat fill the role Rodney has left for these two.

OLB/DE(Thomas, Banta-Cain) Depending on a 34 or 43 Defense we need to pressure the QB. Hopefully Burgess performs this year, but I really think TBC is going to be the better of the two. I see Adalius blitzing from a 43 OLB not so much from Guyton who will be used more in coverage. Thomas must generate pressure and stay healthy.

Run Game(Too many players to name) If you know anything about the Pats, Kevin Faulk will be on the field more than any other back and the ball will most likely be put in his hands more as well. 60-70 percent of those "touches" will be receptions though. To keep defenses honest we need for the other four to be able to run the ball effectively. Each one has different abilities and hopefully each stays healthy enough to showcase them throughout the season. Ultimately though it will come down to the O-Line. We have averaged over 4 YPC the last few years and that is a credit to them not the RBs in my mind. Also, when Stephen Neal is in the game our run game is much, much better.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

As for players,  1. Gary Guyton-His production at OLB is HUGE for our success  2. Derrick Burgess-Gave up a #3 on him, needs to boost this pass rush 3. Matt Light- Our "Top Tackle" has not been at top form lately, Kazcur is below average so we need Light to hold anchor the corners.
    Posted by titletownfan

Not sure, but I think Guyton is an ILB, not OLB.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobomul. Show bobomul's posts

In Response to Pick 3 - Keys for the Season : My picks are: 1) Mayo :  Yes, Mayo because he is the mike in the new 4-3, which I think we will see a lot of because it plays to Mayo/Guyton's strengths which is speed and open field tackling. He is the key to dictating the D, and his responsibilities are complex. Example: since we do 4-3 2 gap, assuming run, mike is assigned center as primary defeat and must shed lead block to stop rb advance forcing cutback, etc.  Guyton as Will (weakside) has secondary flat responsibility, e.g, being aware of misdirection play, etc. etc. so his gameplaying ability is predicated and rarely intuitive (as opposed to Mayo). 2) 3rd/4th WR  we know what #1/2 can do, but it is up to #3 to beat single coverage or at least take advantage of it because we know Moss draws the double or deep roll, and Welker gets heavy slot coverage, and #3 must nullify this. If Galloway is as advertised and if he gets on the same page as Brady, his breakaway speed forces those options, thereby lessening wear/tear on Moss and Welker. 3) Running game  NE must engender effective running game to counter pressure up the middle that other teams will bring against Brady. Most people wrongly assume blitzing as key to beating Brady whereas pressure up the middle is far more effective as it collapses pocket. Having a good running game forces opponent D to worry about gap discipline on LOS. Assuming 1 gap 4-3 D, the gaps are nullified by pulling G, so instead of ILB shooting gap, they must slant away (D gap).
    Posted by patpscyho

Some people bring up the the importance of the running game, but that's historically NOT been the case with the Pats.  Last year they were strong in the running game, finishing 6th in yards/7th in ave.  That's the best year they've had running the ball in 10 years.  For most of their SB teams, NE finished b/w 14th and 28th in the league running the ball.  That never stopped them from scoring points and winning games. They just had to run the ball "good enough".  That said, they have lots of decent backs and should be fine in that area (not that it really matters - historically).

3rd/4th WR (?).  I think they'll be fine in that area too, mainly because of Brady. He makes WRs better than they are anywhere else. Maybe they'll throw to the TEs more this year as well.  Brady will find the open man and the guys on the team are good enough to hold on - or at least as good as some of the other WRs NE's had in the past that have been much more productive with Brady than any other time in their careers.

Mayo will need to have a big year, as will Wilford, Warren, Green, Moss and Welker.  For those concerned about Tom Brady's production this comming year, RELAX.  He looks healthy and I think we all know he'll put up big numbers.  We learned in 2007 that big numbers from Brady isn't good enough without some help.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from trollslayer. Show trollslayer's posts

How many nicknames is that leon? You seem to keep getting kicked out for some strange reason.......Wait

Is it true you played football?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from patpscyho. Show patpscyho's posts

In Response to Re: Pick 3 - Keys for the Season : Some people bring up the the importance of the running game, but that's historically NOT been the case with the Pats.  Last year they were strong in the running game, finishing 6th in yards/7th in ave.  That's the best year they've had running the ball in 10 years.  For most of their SB teams, NE finished b/w 14th and 28th in the league running the ball.  That never stopped them from scoring points and winning games. They just had to run the ball "good enough".  That said, they have lots of decent backs and should be fine in that area (not that it really matters - historically). 3rd/4th WR (?).  I think they'll be fine in that area too, mainly because of Brady. He makes WRs better than they are anywhere else. Maybe they'll throw to the TEs more this year as well.  Brady will find the open man and the guys on the team are good enough to hold on - or at least as good as some of the other WRs NE's had in the past that have been much more productive with Brady than any other time in their careers. Mayo will need to have a big year, as will Wilford, Warren, Green, Moss and Welker.  For those concerned about Tom Brady's production this comming year, RELAX.  He looks healthy and I think we all know he'll put up big numbers.  We learned in 2007 that big numbers from Brady isn't good enough without some help.
    Posted by bobomul

1) Correct, historically not the case, but back then, teams were not zeroing on Brady because they continually underestimated his skills. Today they are, because 2007 blew the cover off, and now everyone is aware of just how good he is. The game has evolved, and teams are keying on Brady now, so we must spread the pressure.

2) Of course Brady makes everyone around him better, my keying on the 3rd/4th WR was a question of intangibles- of reducing wear and tear on our #1/#2 options. We have to have someone pick up the slack, especially if  Moss/Welker get injured.

3) Our big weakness is our D, and that starts with Mayo, being the heart and leader of it, so if he has a big year, then the other players will have big years, so to speak.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Irkillendem. Show Irkillendem's posts

O-line and defense is the only keys to this season. We know what Brady brings, we know what Freddy T brings, ect If the o-line can't run block we're screwed if they can't pass block we're screwed. If the defense can't get off the field on third down we're screwed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

1. D-Line...kill the QB
    2. O-Line ...save the QB
    3. Smash everyone that gets in the way

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Perhaps this thread should be retitled "Pick 3 Players". 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Re: Pick 3 Players - Keys for the Season

1.) Leigh Bodden
    2.) Jarvis Green
    3.) Gary Guyton

I could go with a few others here, Burgess, any other corner, etc, but these guys need to either prove they can play this system or prove they can be more effective. HUGE opportunity for Green, with Seymour gone the die is cast, and he will see serious reps at end in both fronts I think.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

Everything seemingly starts and ends with the health of Tom Brady. If he doesn’t play, we’re screwed (as is my fantasy team, lol). With him, the Pats are pretty much guaranteed 12 wins or more, one of the best (likely the best) offenses in the NFL, a division title, and perhaps a first round bye. When I look at the keys for the season, I’m going to skip Brady and leave it as an assumption. The keys then should focus on the defense, specifically for the playoffs.

1. Gary Guyton

I absolutely agree with all the posters who put Guyton in this list. His performance this year will be perhaps the biggest factor on defense on the type of season. Like AD and Mayo, he needs to be a 3 down backer, perform better against the run and in coverage. We could see him playing 80 to 90 percent of plays this season. The better he plays, the more attempts AD will have to pass rush instead of dropping into coverage. No backup matches his size and athleticism so if he does not make it, we will be using a lot of nickel packages this season, featuring Pat Chung as the Star.

2. Brandon Meriweather

Last year, he was the team’s best player in the secondary. Ballhawking and playmaking starts with him. When it comes to the playoffs, someone needs to be able to make plays from the secondary. James Sanders is a solid, consistent player, who won’t make mistakes, but he does not make plays. Pat Chung as a rookie will make the field infrequently. Perhaps his most important role is to cover the tight end (Dallas Clark) or rotate into Meriweather’s position so that Meriweather can come up as the Star. Chung though will not be relied on to make plays. It will be Meriweather, who twice last year came up with big sacks that ended games and 4 interceptions of his own.

3. Vince Wilfork

It goes without saying that he is the best defensive lineman for the Patriots. He is of course the key to controling the line of scrimmage whether in the 3-4 or 4-3, on the run or the pass. I thought he looked to be a far better player this preseason than in the pass, more consistently rushing the passer especially. If he is to be an effective early down player, he will need to be able to create a pass rush. The team seems to have a decent pass rush on third downs with him substituted out and with Burgess, Green, Wright (Pryor), and TBC rushing the passer. Can Warren, Wilfork, and the rest of the line create a pass rush on early downs?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobomul. Show bobomul's posts

In Response to Re: Pick 3 Players - Keys for the Season:
    1.) Leigh Bodden 2.) Jarvis Green 3.) Gary Guyton I could go with a few others here, Burgess, any other corner, etc, but these guys need to either prove they can play this system or prove they can be more effective. HUGE opportunity for Green, with Seymour gone the die is cast, and he will see serious reps at end in both fronts I think.
    Posted by zbellino

Are you saying all the questions for this team next year are on Defense?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

1) Burgess/Warren: We all know what Wilfork is capable of (controlling gaps, collapsing the pocket and drawing double teams). The Pats need a sustained pass rush and I don't much care where it comes from, these two are likely candidates. AD is better in coverage than Burgess so that makes him either rush OLB in 3-4 or a rush DE in the 4-3.

2) Guyton; Again the whole world knows that Mayo is a beast, we have yet to see what Guyton is capable of in BB's defensive schemes. He could be hugely important part of the LB corps in the very near future.

3) Leigh Bodden: The continuous search for very good corner ummmmm continues. For me Meriweather is already our best (if he's not it's close) and the Pats need Bodden to have 20+ PDs and 5 INTs and good coverage to have a decent shot at the passer...so yeah I am one of those people that thinks you need a good secondary to have a great pass rush.

If anything all of these players will contribute to playing MUCH BETTER situational football. No more mediocre offenses getting 3rd down conversions against the Pats D and toughening up in the red zone. Also believe that this D will be better by Mid-season than the first few games...after that, because the offense will be fine......it's.....

Beatdowns For Everyone !

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

I think the offense is pretty good with exception of back up QB and having a clear number 1 RB.

I agree OL needs to improve from late 2007 and keep Brady up right. So it would have to be either Nick Kaczur or if they use him as much as I think they do then TE Michael Matthews.

Otherwise it would have to be pass rush Burgess since we have him for a number 3

Then Sanders at Safety as he replaces Harrison calling the shots back there. Meriweather needs to do his bit too, but Sanders needs to make the right calls and make sure he tackles otherwise everyone will be throwing deep.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

1. Tom Brady stays healthy and plays like 2007 Tom Brady.  2. Tom Brady stays healthy and plays like 2007 Tom Brady.  3. Tom Brady stays healthy and plays like 2007 Tom Brady. 
    Posted by markinFl13

He doesn't really have to put of 07 numbers but Brady healthy IS everything.

Sections
Shortcuts