Pioli says; " You can thank Tom"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Pioli says; " You can thank Tom"

Former Patriots Vice President of Player Personnel Scott Pioli was a guest on Sirius XM NFL Radio on Monday, appearing on an afternoon show with Bruce Murray and Rich Gannon. As noted previously, Pioli’s appearances are of particular note from this perspective because of his past ties to the Patriots and insight into the organization’s inner workings.

Pioli was asked about building a team over a long period of time, as he was part of with the Patriots, without getting into a situation where the club was handcuffed and unable to make moves in free agency to help itself.

Pioli’s answer came back to quarterback Tom Brady, and his recent contract extension.

“In the case of the Patriots, you have to hope you have players like Tom Brady who are willing to take less to spread out more amongst their team,” Pioli said. “By the time this cycle of contracts is done – Tom Brady just did a new deal, and I don’t even know is going to be in the top seven or eight highest-paid quarterbacks in the NFL. Stop and think about that – all of these guys getting done in and around him, [Tony] Romo just got done, [Aaron] Rodgers is going to get done, [Joe] Flacco – and I’m not even sure if Tommy is in the top seven or eight.”

At that point, Pioli was asked why Brady’s agent, Don Yee, wouldn’t have had it written in Brady’s contract that he would always be in the top three or five of quarterbacks at any time.

“Because it’s not the agent making the decision, and that’s one of the things that’s always been different about Tom Brady," Pioli answered.

"I think his agent, Don Yee, is one of the most respectful and admirable people in the industry – it’s not because he’s taking less. It’s because he puts his name on a contract he knows isn’t in the market value ... Sometimes it ends up being backwards. You have to remember, the agent isn’t the boss. The player is. The agent works for the player. That line gets blurred sometimes, where players allow agents to drive the deal and do what they want.

“That doesn’t mean players should play for less. Please don’t misunderstand me. I never begrudge a player for taking more money or taking a lot of money. That’s their prerogative. But you asked a question ‘how do you balance it with a team like the New England Patriots?’ You have a situation where there is a player there that has allowed the club to create more of a middle class, so to speak. That’s very different."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

Re: Pioli says;

In response to pezz4pats's comment:

Former Patriots Vice President of Player Personnel Scott Pioli was a guest on Sirius XM NFL Radio on Monday, appearing on an afternoon show with Bruce Murray and Rich Gannon. As noted previously, Pioli’s appearances are of particular note from this perspective because of his past ties to the Patriots and insight into the organization’s inner workings.

Pioli was asked about building a team over a long period of time, as he was part of with the Patriots, without getting into a situation where the club was handcuffed and unable to make moves in free agency to help itself.

Pioli’s answer came back to quarterback Tom Brady, and his recent contract extension.

“In the case of the Patriots, you have to hope you have players like Tom Brady who are willing to take less to spread out more amongst their team,” Pioli said. “By the time this cycle of contracts is done – Tom Brady just did a new deal, and I don’t even know is going to be in the top seven or eight highest-paid quarterbacks in the NFL. Stop and think about that – all of these guys getting done in and around him, [Tony] Romo just got done, [Aaron] Rodgers is going to get done, [Joe] Flacco – and I’m not even sure if Tommy is in the top seven or eight.”

At that point, Pioli was asked why Brady’s agent, Don Yee, wouldn’t have had it written in Brady’s contract that he would always be in the top three or five of quarterbacks at any time.

“Because it’s not the agent making the decision, and that’s one of the things that’s always been different about Tom Brady," Pioli answered.

"I think his agent, Don Yee, is one of the most respectful and admirable people in the industry – it’s not because he’s taking less. It’s because he puts his name on a contract he knows isn’t in the market value ... Sometimes it ends up being backwards. You have to remember, the agent isn’t the boss. The player is. The agent works for the player. That line gets blurred sometimes, where players allow agents to drive the deal and do what they want.

“That doesn’t mean players should play for less. Please don’t misunderstand me. I never begrudge a player for taking more money or taking a lot of money. That’s their prerogative. But you asked a question ‘how do you balance it with a team like the New England Patriots?’ You have a situation where there is a player there that has allowed the club to create more of a middle class, so to speak. That’s very different."

as Rusty always says Brady is the PROBLEM!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Greatest ever.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to tcal2-'s comment:

Greatest ever.

debatable- like ever other "greatest" argument

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I thought we won because of guys like Patrick Chung? 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:

Tommy is a class act.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from IrishMob7. Show IrishMob7's posts

Great interview.  Tom Brady is among the most selfless players in sports.  It is beyond my comprehension how people can 'hate' him.  I understand hating on Lebron, Kobe, Roethlisberger, A-Rod, Burrows, etc., but it just doesn't make sense to hate on Tom.  

We are one lucky fanbase to have him representing the face of our franchise over the past 12 years.

Oh, and cue Leon now with a "brady just gave himself a 27M raise!! he's all about himself!!"

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kylerocks. Show kylerocks's posts

That's just one more thing that makes Brady so amazing, he's still the boss of everything in his world.  He wants to take a little less to help his team be better so they can win more games, he can do that because he's in charge.  A lot of these pro athletes become brands first and players second and then all their decisions are handled like a corporation, by a team of strategists looking to maximize their potential earnings.  Tom can do what he wants to do, support the products he likes to support and just be the man.  Having a mega rich supermodel wife doesn't hurt but do you think he would have her if he wasn't so damn cool (I guess it helps that he's so good looking but still).  I like the fact that he's the guy making the calls on and off the field.  And sometimes he blows it and makes a bad throw or becomes a spokesmodel for Uggs but at least he's in a position to take a little less and he doesn't have such a massive ego machine that won't allow it to happen.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kylerocks. Show kylerocks's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

Brady has a choice. Be the highest paid on past laurels or make the no brainer move and find a way to spread the money out to make his cap hit less obnoxious than it was in 2011 and 2012.

He should be commended. He made the right move and it shows he still does care.

Now let's hope his AFC title game isn't as bad as its been the last 3 times.  I almost hope we have to go into Denver for it. Maybe it will light a fire under him a bit and not take playing to go the SB for granted.

I cannot take another AFC title game egg laid by Brady.

Brady does need guys who can get open though and create mismatches and when he lost Gronk he lost his biggest difference maker on O.  IDK why they went away from Hern in AFC game 2nd half but he wasn't really right all year either.  Plus Brady's a way better play action passer than most guys in the league but that only works if you pound the football consistently.  Without Gronk they really weren't able to do that either against Bmore.  Gronk needs to stay healthy or Ballard better be the 2nd coming cause that's the way our O rolls now.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

He's a team player all the way, I don't know of another guy like him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

Brady has a choice. Be the highest paid on past laurels or make the no brainer move and find a way to spread the money out to make his cap hit less obnoxious than it was in 2011 and 2012.

He should be commended. He made the right move and it shows he still does care.

Now let's hope his AFC title game isn't as bad as its been the last 3 times.  I almost hope we have to go into Denver for it. Maybe it will light a fire under him a bit and not take playing to go the SB for granted.

I cannot take another AFC title game egg laid by Brady.

TB has been doing this his whole career.  Now if BB can only FINALLY get him a D with all that saved cap space and a receiving core that does not drop 78 balls in the SB, we might see better results. 

Bet it burns you up to see Pioli give credit where credit is due rather than some plug and play accounting system that controls the cap situation.

Gotta plug and play the right players.

Can't take another AFC title game or SB where the D is scrambling their eggs and making Quiche instead of playing defense.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from AcheNot. Show AcheNot's posts

I love what Brady did too, but all his money is guaranteed. Unlike with the contracts for Romo, Flacco et al, Brady will collect every dime of his

Even if his production suddenly nosedives at the age of 38, he's still going to get paid, and he will still be on the books for two more years after

Yeah, he took a below market extension which helped out the team, but it was a pretty good deal for Brady too. Guaranteed money through the age of 40. Not bad

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

brady is great...if he wins another ring i think he will be the G.O.A.T

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"I cannot take another AFC title game egg laid by Brady."

Yawn. 

Even though you're not sniffing that game without Brady as your QB. 

Once we get there, it's all on him. 

These are dopey reductionist arguments. 

If there's one pattern to our playoff losses it's losing on every comparison - defense outplayed, line of scrimmage lost, special teams outplayed, turnover battle lost. 

You what i cannot take? I cannot take Bill coming up to the podium after another tough postseason loss and talking about how he was outcoached. 

Unlike Manning or Favre, Brady has never thrown a game-clinching post season interception. 

It should not be that hard to understand it's a team loss when we lose. You can tell that just by putting aside your rigid narrative and watching the games. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

Yawn. 

If there's one pattern to our playoff losses it's losing on every comparison - defense outplayed, line of scrimmage lost, special teams outplayed, turnover battle lost. 

You what i cannot take? I cannot take Bill coming up to the podium after another tough postseason loss and talking about how he was outcoached. 

Unlike Manning or Favre, Brady has never thrown a game-clinching post season interception. 

It should not be that hard to understand it's a team loss when we lose. You can tell that just by putting aside your rigid narrative and watching the games. 

brady did throw a game clinching int vs the colts in the 2006 afc title game

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

Pats without Brady= Celtics without Bird,(barring the one year they Paid for the Ring). Once Brady retires it will be interesting to see if BB does also?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

In response to jimmytantric's comment:

Pats without Brady= Celtics without Bird,(barring the one year they Paid for the Ring). Once Brady retires it will be interesting to see if BB does also?

BB will retire too

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:

Yawn. 

atta boy-ignore the rest and back rusty!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

Yawn. 

You are right, he sure did with 24 seconds left  in the game and right after the D gave up 32 points in the second half to lose the lead.  They needed a TD to win.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

Yawn. 

You are right, he sure did with 24 seconds left  in the game and right after the D gave up 32 points in the second half to lose the lead.  They needed a TD to win.

well thats rsf who is either rusty or rusty pays him

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to pezz4pats' comment:

Yawn. 

im not even blaming brady for that loss. everyone knows the defense absolutely collapsed in the second half of that game. i was just pointing out something is all.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

Yawn. 

well thats rsf who is either rusty or rusty pays him

you sound ridiculous. you continue to show your lack of intelligence as you come up with these lame conspiracies on here. there are plenty on here who share the same or similar opinions as me and rusty on many topics.