Pit matched orrer sheet for Sanders

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Re: Pit matched orrer sheet for Sanders

"This is a strong draft for WR's. There is plenty of talent to be had after the first round. Robert Woods, Marcus Wheaton, Maybe Justin Hunter, DaRick Rogers, Steadman Bailey."

I wouldn't be too excited. BB has a heck of a lot of trouble drafting receivers who can grasp our (overly?) complicated system. I'm not at all confident in his ability to draft a difference making receiver and would rather see those picks go to defensive players anyhow.

My question for Bill would be: did you want this player or not? A more aggressive offer would have gotten it down. 

Seems a bit late in the offseason game to be floating balloons. 

But, I'm happy for BB to prove me wrong, just don't understand why he would go through a useless matching exercise.

"I was never that convinced that Sanders was the 'answer' for the Pats - good player but ...?"

nor was I. But, you either go get a player or you let him go. Obviously you might not try quite as hard if you have a very solid plan B. I sure hope the plan B is not the draft in this case...

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

Keep in mind if he goes more aggressive than what the 2nd rd tender was for, you're talking about possibly not getting him to sign an extension past 2014, with BB losing his leverage in negotiations and Sanders going to FA, with us only renting him for 1 year. That is what Pitt is doing.  Banking on basically winning a SB in 2013. Sanders or bust.

This was all about a long term deal. Pitt was in such a bad state, BB just made their current situation worse.

The bid was more than enough and I am beginning to think Colbert isn't as good of a GM as many previously thought, at least with salary allocation. In that area, he's been pretty weak so far into and out of the lockout. The whole reason they couldn't get Wallace done in 2011 was because they misjudged the new CBA structure.

I am shocked at how bad the Rooneys misjudged the new CBA as big as they are in the league. Shocked.

i agree completely...only ozzie newsome and jerry reese are worse

two incompetents i tell you

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PATSchampsSB. Show PATSchampsSB's posts

Keep in mind if he goes more aggressive than what the 2nd rd tender was for, you're talking about possibly not getting him to sign an extension past 2014, with BB losing his leverage in negotiations and Sanders going to FA, with us only renting him for 1 year. That is what Pitt is doing.  Banking on basically winning a SB in 2013. Sanders or bust.

This was all about a long term deal. Pitt was in such a bad state, BB just made their current situation worse.

The bid was more than enough and I am beginning to think Colbert isn't as good of a GM as many previously thought, at least with salary allocation. In that area, he's been pretty weak so far into and out of the lockout. The whole reason they couldn't get Wallace done in 2011 was because they misjudged the new CBA structure.

I am shocked at how bad the Rooneys misjudged the new CBA as big as they are in the league. Shocked.

Meanwhile, BB puts a price on a player in the market, and this is no different. Don't be shocked to see Sanders here after 2013.

BB has a handful of other directions to go. This was one more at WR before the draft, but it's not some disastrous thing. It just would have made his draft a bit more clear.

good points.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to 42AND46's comment:

Yes, I really enjoy my GM not having any leverage and being completely backed into a corner like we just saw with Colbert. lol

no the point is why do u always go out of ur way to rag on others? to raise BB up? especially-shocker!-the colts, ravens, steelers and giants

if belllichick is so "great" why the need to do this? shouldn't his "genius" speak for itself without the need to lower others?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreighver. Show dreighver's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

do you hear the birds singing Hurl?

"cheep! cheep! cheep! cheep!"

How much are you guys paying Osi this year?

we aren't paying him as much as the falcons! but then we already won twice with him so if he left least we can say we had success with him before we let him walk

This has to be the most absurd argument I've ever heard. If you think you're anything more than a double-standard filled troll, you're being disingenous. 

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to dreighver's comment:

In response to pcmIV's comment:

How much are you guys paying Osi this year?

we aren't paying him as much as the falcons! but then we already won twice with him so if he left least we can say we had success with him before we let him walk

This has to be the most absurd argument I've ever heard. If you think you're anything more than a double-standard filled troll, you're being disingenous. 

wrong as usual...what osi was asking for as a 31 year old DE who had a down year last year is totally and completely different than not spending 500K to get a WR when u need one or not re-signing Welker coming off his usual production and signing a cheaper version who is injury-prone and unproven

tightfisted Bob has squeezed Btrady's twilight years and I for one love it

meanwhile we let Osi go with 2 pretty little rings so how did the giants not get everything they could from him and him from them?

smarten up

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

Although I know some don't want to hear this, but the resigning of Edelman was a good move.  He's capable of getting 40 receptions as a WR in this offense.

I think Sanders is a better WR, but the drop off isn't some huge dip either.

I'd still like DeAndre Hopkins in Rd 1.  I think he'd be a great add even if raw.

I agree. If BB is going to take a first round WR, I hope it is Hopkins. He can run the route tree and is decent at getting separation. His comparisons to Roddy White seem reasonable from what I have read.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from AyyyBoston. Show AyyyBoston's posts

Nice scouting report on Deandre Hopkins (from NFL.com):

STRENGTHS

Presents good height and length for an outside receiver, also has some lower-body strength for explosion off the line of scrimmage and in his cuts. Solid route-runner used in the short, intermediate, and deep games, who has flexibility to avoid corners in zone and the quick feet to separate on hitches, comebacks, and other cuts. Does a nice job creating separation and deceiving defensive backs with head fakes and quick moves. Will threaten the top of defenses with NFL-quality straight-line speed. Possesses strong hands in traffic, not afraid of contact downfield and can separate at the last second with an arm extension. Agile enough to quickly avoid oncoming defenders after the catch yet remain balanced to head downfield for the big gain. Does not go down without a fight, can run through arm tackle attempts from cornerbacks. Snatches throws with his hands, even those within his frame. Concentrates on the ball throughout difficult catches and extends his long arms to make a big radius. Sells double-moves well with a head fake and body lean. Very good body control to contort his body on catches and pluck the ball out of the air, keep one foot in-bounds on the sideline. Effective run blocker, usually reaches his target and gets his hands up, uses correct blocking angle to sustain; also shows some nastiness at times, capable of putting his man to the ground. Consistently productive over his time at Clemson, improving his stats each season

WEAKNESSES

Only average size for a starting outside receiver and has room to add bulk to his frame. Occasionally loses track of the ball on easy catches when trying to make a move too early. Must prove his ability to use his hands to beat press coverage from NFL veterans off the line. Dances around defenders and run backwards after short catches at times, losing his balance or some yardage, instead of heading upfield. Will need to be more consistently physical in the blocking game at the next level.

NFL COMPARISON

Roddy White

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

Yes, I really enjoy my GM not having any leverage and being completely backed into a corner like we just saw with Colbert. lol

no the point is why do u always go out of ur way to rag on others? to raise BB up? especially-shocker!-the colts, ravens, steelers and giants

if belllichick is so "great" why the need to do this? shouldn't his "genius" speak for itself without the need to lower others?

How am I "ragging"? I gave my analysis on this DAYS before this final decision was made.

I gave evidence, fact, proof, etc, to explain the differences.  How is it "ragging"? Could it be that Colbert or these other overrated GMs are overrated and BB is underrated?

Hmm?

At worst, BB is toying with a rival. At worst.  Show me another GM that toys with other GMs like this.

I would have welcomed Sanders in here with open arms, but the beauty of this was BB putting the screws to the Steelers because they had no leverage in the situation.

As a fan of my team and one that doesn;t like the Steelers (although I respect them for sure), this was a no lose situation from my GM.

End of story.

Wake me when BB is backed into a corner like that.  Ain't happening.

the only problem with this long-winded  "BB is God" polemic is you refuse to listen to any legitimate criticsms or flaws people point out about Bellichick-anything anyone says that questions a draft pick or FA pick-up or God forbid criticizes Bellichick drives into a tizzy of spin, denial, convenient lapses of memory, etc...ur facts and logic and reason ad nauseum are one way when it comes to Bellichick...he NEVER makes an error-ever-in your world

now Tom Brady he poisoned your dog

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

Got to think we could of had him if we had offered 500k more, now we are going to have to take some chances in the draft on a wideout. 

I wouldn't say it was being cheap. If you don't assign values to players like that you end up in cap hell and a bunch of all right FA's.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

In response to mthurl's comment:

Got to think we could of had him if we had offered 500k more, now we are going to have to take some chances in the draft on a wideout. 

I wouldn't say it was being cheap. If you don't assign values to players like that you end up in cap hell and a bunch of all right FA's.

i hear u  bosox but as a pats fan i gotta ask u: doesn't the pats approach drive u a wee bit crazy at times? u ever want to just yell "spend for once!"? I know i would...you can only squeeze so much blood from a stone and accounting for every penny....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

$2.5 million is about right for a solid number two or three receiver.  So I don't think the Pats were cheap.  If anything the Steelers were hoping to get Sanders cheap at $1.3 million.  Seems like they were banking on no one wanting him that badly.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Oh so the fact that the Giants let a guy walk for less money that we let Wes walk for means the Patriots are cheap and the Giants aren't.  I guess if we had won a SB with Wes you wouldn't be calling the Pats cheap right?  LMAO @ U troll.  You are an idiot.  I wonder what bs you'll be spinning when either Nicks or Cruz walks.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

$2.5 million is about right for a solid number two or three receiver.  So I don't think the Pats were cheap.  If anything the Steelers were hoping to get Sanders cheap at $1.3 million.  Seems like they were banking on no one wanting him that badly.

Don't let anything like facts get in the way of the troll's agenda here Prolate.  The Patriots are cheap.  It's not like they handed out the 2 largest contracts for their position in NFL history to their TEs.

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In response to nomadfan's comment:

The balloon mishap made Stallworth that much more electrifying.

Hahaha!  You are on fire today nomadfan!  Oh, wait... that might have been a bad thing to say.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts