Play-calling got conservative

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from millergrnv. Show millergrnv's posts

Play-calling got conservative

Like all of the Patriots, i'm disappointed in the Pats losing in the end last night and its a tough pill to swallow, but we have got to move on to the the next week. While a lot of the media and fans will point the finger at the refs, I don't blame the officials for why the team lost. The refs made some bad calls, but it happens. I blame the play-calling late in the game on offense. The play-calling was a lot better compared to last week, until the last two drives. It got conservative in a way because instead calling plays to get 1st Downs, they called plays that were trying to run time and what happened is the offense lost its aggression. I look at the play-calling near the end of the game as to why the Pats lost and not the refs.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

Re: Play-calling got conservative

For some reason McD is just itching for Woody, no pun intended, while its Ridkey who should have been in on that ghoul line run and ether other runs at the end if the game as it came down close to 2 minutes. He Carlos should be passing on 2nd and running on 3rd not the other way around like he had been lately.

Maybe losing Hernandez really has thrown him for a loop.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

In response to DelGriffith's comment:

I am telling ya, every time they start using Woodhead in that way, we lose games. I have no issue with Woodhead being used when there is some advantage on slow LBs in coverage, to give RIdley a rest, or in the 2 minute before half or as a wrinkle in the gameplan.

The problem is what we saw last night, though.  It makes it easier for any D to guess on what NE Is doing once they then sub back in Ridley.   It's why they get stoned at the line of scrimmage when the RIdley or BJGE come back in.

Again, once they go to Woodhead, I cringe.  I like Woodhead, he just isn't as good as what RIdley can do or what BJGE provided with downhill running, blocking and the abilities/skill set to allow the OC  to diversify the flow in the gamecalling.

Not a huge reason for the loss last night, as the D could have played better, but I have no idea why he's so anxious to get Woodhead into games. That block RIdley threw in pass protection was righteous. 

Woodhead is the starter in that package. Ridley has not looked that good catching the ball and while he did make an excellent block Woodhead had several also including a good one on Lewis. I wish they would pass to Woodhead more often because he is terrific in the open field and was a great weapon in 2010 and in last years super bowl. Last night Woodhead played hard, got a tough TD and at least one tough first down. The offensive line still looks inconsistent to me and several running plays were blown up quickly and way behind the line of scrimmage. There were a couple of runs where Woodhead got 3 yards but it looked like there were decent gaps but he tripped over teammates legs.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to millergrnv's comment:

Like all of the Patriots, i'm disappointed in the Pats losing in the end last night and its a tough pill to swallow, but we have got to move on to the the next week. While a lot of the media and fans will point the finger at the refs, I don't blame the officials for why the team lost. The refs made some bad calls, but it happens. I blame the play-calling late in the game on offense. The play-calling was a lot better compared to last week, until the last two drives. It got conservative in a way because instead calling plays to get 1st Downs, they called plays that were trying to run time and what happened is the offense lost its aggression. I look at the play-calling near the end of the game as to why the Pats lost and not the refs.

"gets" its been that way.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to DelGriffith's comment:

I am telling ya, every time they start using Woodhead in that way, we lose games. I have no issue with Woodhead being used when there is some advantage on slow LBs in coverage, to give RIdley a rest, or in the 2 minute before half or as a wrinkle in the gameplan.

The problem is what we saw last night, though.  It makes it easier for any D to guess on what NE Is doing once they then sub back in Ridley.   It's why they get stoned at the line of scrimmage when the RIdley or BJGE come back in.

Again, once they go to Woodhead, I cringe.  I like Woodhead, he just isn't as good as what RIdley can do or what BJGE provided with downhill running, blocking and the abilities/skill set to allow the OC  to diversify the flow in the gamecalling.

Not a huge reason for the loss last night, as the D could have played better, but I have no idea why he's so anxious to get Woodhead into games. That block RIdley threw in pass protection was righteous. 

after preseson gaem one last year i was confident in ridley as a runner, blocker and could catch teh ball out of the backfield.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tydog. Show Tydog's posts

Its almost like they couldnt adjust after the ravens started blitzing everyone, especialy DBs from the  ends

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

agree with alot of what folks have already posted, I'm a bit confused as well on who they have in there when....don't get it.  Hopefully they (McDaniels) become much more consistent moving forward.  We'll see.....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from glenr. Show glenr's posts

Play calling got stupid. The team is moving down the field so lets throw in a reverse and lose 9 yards and end up having to punt.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to glenr's comment:

Play calling got stupid. The team is moving down the field so lets throw in a reverse and lose 9 yards and end up having to punt.

that was so frustrating...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

that "reverse" play seems to rarely ever work.

Sections
Shortcuts