Play GM:

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Re: Play GM:

I think if I'm GM I would be very patient this off season. At least half of the teams are over or near the CAP and would not be able to sign any draft picks.

The large swords have not yet been swung. Gonna be a Patriots kind of off season for sure.

As GM I would be frustrated by not having any 4th, 5th or 6th round picks. With a record amount of underclassmen (~75) declaring for the draft I would do what I could to get me some. If Mallett ain't going for 1st rounders I would say to Cleveland "Look, you know you want this Kid, let's talk a series of 4th, 5th and 6th round picks that gives us the mid second round value that Mallett is"

I'm not Tagging anyone. At least half the Teams ain't gonna be picking fruit off my tree so I ain't chasing anyone either. Talib is gonna need to sign a incentive laden deal or leave and my medical staff better be sure on Vollmer's back or I ain't risking 8-10 mil here either. Does Kazur ring a bell here.

With my draft picks, hopefully a few more added, I take advantage of a deep DT draft and LB. I need a stronger D on a budget and rookie salaries are what's for dinner.

I would however grab one big wide receiver in the draft.

With my salary cap money I fill in the blanks, I would at least throw a number at Melton or Starks.

I wait for Philly to make a move with Nnamdi Asomugha and or Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie  

Connor Barwin is on my radar...

Brandon Moore would be a solid guard, even at 33...

I want to know once and for all if Ridley, Vereen and Bolden can play. And the only way to find out is they need to play. So Woodhead moves on but it kills me....

Lloyd, I woulda cut after week one....

And I would sit down with Wes one last time as say "do you really want to walk away from the best gig you will ever have"

And, I would "sweeten" Ballards deal a bit to let him know his future is here.

And keep my powder dry....there's gonna be a slew of cuts in camps this year....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

A source tells the Miami Herald that the Dolphins have had "extensive discussions" with free agent WR Brian Hartline.

Per the Herald, the Dolphins have "discretely targeted" re-signing Hartline and FS Chris Clemons. They hope to "lock" both players into contract before free agency opens on March 12. The problem is that re-signing Hartline could prove pricy and therefore limit the Dolphins' opportunity to go after a true No. 1 wideout such as Mike Wallace, Greg Jennings or Dwayne Bowe. Getting Ryan Tannehill some weapons must be a priority for GM Jeff Ireland.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

Latest News Recent News Chris Price of WEEI Boston predicts the Patriots will let free agent CB Aqib Talib test the market. Price expects the Patriots to prioritize Sebastian Vollmer among their own free agents, retaining the right tackle "either through tag or new deal." Price admits he's "not sure" about free agent Wes Welker. The Pats aren't going to overpay for Talib, and seem to consider Vollmer a more integral puzzle piece. They do not appear to be considering slapping Talib with the franchise tag. Feb 18 - 12:56 PM

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to ClarkGriswold's comment:

You would have cut Lloyd after Week 1 last year? Why?

He had 74 catches, almost 1000 yards and 4 TDs. We need to add to that production.   Keep in mind, at one time or another both Hernandez and Gronk weren't on the field together, so imagine how much better his numbers will be next year with Ballard added into the mix.

Why would you want to remove that from the equation? I don't agree there at all, obviously. 

We disagree on Welker. At age 32, what he's going to command, I just don't see how it makes sense.  Hernandez and Edelman, maybe with an emerging Ebert in development can work the middle with Hern, Gronk and Ballard.  That TE linep is seriously the best in the NFL and it ain't close.  Need some flanker production.

As for your WR in the draft, anyone in particular you like?  I haven't done any research yet (will probably wait until after the combine), but I think it's pretty well known at this point that they need a very high IQ player who can handle the complexities of what's in NE's playbook and the expectation tied to being a WR here.

Connor Barwin would be great here, but I don't see how BB can compete. I'd rather go pass rush or edge player in the draft, maybe Rd 2 and get the DT in Rd 3 since it's so deep.

Agree on the slew of camp cuts and quality trickling down, but I also would have clear priorities for slam dunk fits here in FA, too.

Early in the season they were sending a message to Welker by throwing to Lloyd on every other play. He couldn't do it, it did not work.

Lloyd caught balls down the road after Welker came in and began playing regular. Lloyd had a bunch of so what catches if you ask me. I never saw him make a difference in any game.

Welker is more than a top slot guy, he's Brady's guy. I hate messin' with Brady's guys. I would try and reason with Welker, say less money but guarantee a lions share of it. I do realize though he's likely done here.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

I agree on  Hartline.....but like the latest report indicated,  I think the Dolphins really want to keep him and it would be a longshot for us to swoop in.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

OK, we seem to be giving kid's with some issues a chance. So if I'm gonna reach I would reach with this kid, Da'Rick Rogers. No issues he's a top first rounder. Projected 2nd day now.

As I said earlier, we need more mid round picks!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

He had 74 catches, almost 1000 yards and 4 TDs. We need to add to that production.   Keep in mind, at one time or another both Hernandez and Gronk weren't on the field together, so imagine how much better his numbers will be next year with Ballard added into the mix.

Why would you want to remove that from the equation? I don't agree there at all, obviously. 

We disagree on Welker. At age 32, what he's going to command, I just don't see how it makes sense.  Hernandez and Edelman, maybe with an emerging Ebert in development can work the middle with Hern, Gronk and Ballard.  That TE linep is seriously the best in the NFL and it ain't close.  Need some flanker production.

As for your WR in the draft, anyone in particular you like?  I haven't done any research yet (will probably wait until after the combine), but I think it's pretty well known at this point that they need a very high IQ player who can handle the complexities of what's in NE's playbook and the expectation tied to being a WR here.

Connor Barwin would be great here, but I don't see how BB can compete. I'd rather go pass rush or edge player in the draft, maybe Rd 2 and get the DT in Rd 3 since it's so deep.

Agree on the slew of camp cuts and quality trickling down, but I also would have clear priorities for slam dunk fits here in FA, too.

Early in the season they were sending a message to Welker by throwing to Lloyd on every other play. He couldn't do it, it did not work.

Lloyd caught balls down the road after Welker came in and began playing regular. Lloyd had a bunch of so what catches if you ask me. I never saw him make a difference in any game.

Welker is more than a top slot guy, he's Brady's guy. I hate messin' with Brady's guys. I would try and reason with Welker, say less money but guarantee a lions share of it. I do realize though he's likely done here.

Yeah it is risky, but I realize he's gone too. I was listening to weei today and a caller said he would offer him a 3 year deal (9 mil,9mil and 11). As a last ditch effort I'd offer him something like a three year 24 million dollar deal, with the thought that he'd never see that last year of the deal. The thing about Welker is that he may be the least risky signing of our three big free agents and he may have the biggest positive impact too. I could care less either way with this, but I wouldn't feel comfortable giving Talib or Vollmer a big long contract - they both just carry too many risks. Honestly all three of them are very far from ideal situations, and any of the three could really come back and bite us one way or the other.  Honestly I wouldn't be shocked if they let them all walk.

I tell you if it wasn't for Vollmer's back I'd sign him...he'd be the guy. I then would seriously look into cutting Mankins next year because I just don't want a guard making that much money on the team unless he is an all world talent - I'm talking a guy that will change the way the position is played and thought of. Mankins is far from that.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

How about Ramses Barden WR for the Giants? They may keep him ...but could he be an option?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

Yeah it is risky, but I realize he's gone too. I was listening to weei today and a caller said he would offer him a 3 year deal (9 mil,9mil and 11). As a last ditch effort I'd offer him something like a three year 24 million dollar deal, with the thought that he'd never see that last year of the deal. The thing about Welker is that he may be the least risky signing of our three big free agents and he may have the biggest positive impact too. I could care less either way with this, but I wouldn't feel comfortable giving Talib or Vollmer a big long contract - they both just carry too many risks. Honestly all three of them are very far from ideal situations, and any of the three could really come back and bite us one way or the other.  Honestly I wouldn't be shocked if they let them all walk.

I tell you if it wasn't for Vollmer's back I'd sign him...he'd be the guy. I then would seriously look into cutting Mankins next year because I just don't want a guard making that much money on the team unless he is an all world talent - I'm talking a guy that will change the way the position is played and thought of. Mankins is far from that.

If Vollmers back is OK the Pats will sign him. He seemed "stiff" to me and caution is in order. I know they can do a lot these days with backs but I have never known anyone who was the same after surgery.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I've never see a guy with a big leg not be used so little from 45+ yards out.

Great use of the language bonehead. LMAO@U

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

how about this guy??????..................just kidding

Jets released ILB Bart Scott.

The sides were set to meet Thursday at the Combine, but must have decided there was too much ground to make up in talks. The move gives the Jets an additional $8 million in cap space on top of the roughly $24 million they saved earlier Tuesday by cutting Calvin Pace, Jason Smith, Eric Smith and Josh Baker. Scott was still a useful player in 2012, but came off the field in nickel situations, and tallied just 60 tackles. That was his lowest total since 2004. He'll have to be amenable to incentive-laden deals in free agency. 2012 third-rounder Demario Davis should take Scott's place in New York.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

relax Clark...just kidding

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from stegall85. Show stegall85's posts

I can't. It just keeps coming up as on-line adds.

Can't even see the original post.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

One guy I'm interested in is RFA David Nelson. Depending on what Buf tenders him at I love the guys size and speed. Before his injury last year he was an upcoming WR with a bad QB. For a 2nd or 3rd tender I'd rather get him then to target someone in the draft. I think he'd command a mid level contract while just entering his prime.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to stegall85's comment:

I can't. It just keeps coming up as on-line adds.

Can't even see the original post.

Interesting. Same here. I am wondering if they have added a blocker with regards to Jets titled threads. The Revis one now does the same thing.

Edit: Just tried to start a thread as a test and it's doing the same thign.  Someone else try to start a thread.

you turn on bold and you can't turn it off lol

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JRABBB. Show JRABBB's posts

Do you know that you started 6 different threads in as many hours Clark "I like to think that I know everything about everything "Griswald?

TFB has about 38 this weeK alone so u must play catch up I guess?

Great thread about Gronk going to rehab...care to join in?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think the approach to free agency should go like this...sign young, up and coming players...players that are heading into their prime or in it already. I'm talking about the second tier type of guy - we have had success with that in the past - we should be able to do it again. Enough with these over the hill, past their prime types...enough. Sign these types...Rashard Mendenhall,  Danny Amendola,  Desmond Bryant,  Connor Barwin,  Louis Delmas,  William Moore, Sean Smith. We should be able to land a couple of those guys for reasonable money.

I'll tell you what, another approach could be to go out and instead of getting complimentary pieces...sign a guy that will make everyone better. Could Goldson be that guy? Is he that good? I haven't seen enough of him to say either way, but the times I have seen him, man does he impress me. Can a guy like that have a trickle down affect on our entire secondary...or defense? If you look at the really special players on this team, they make average talent look better than it is...Brady, Gronk, Wilfork...they each make three or four other players look better than they are. Can Goldson do that? If he can, I'd sign him because if you can get one guy that makes three guys better you can't do better from a value stand point. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to JRABBB's comment:

Do you know that you started 6 different threads in as many hours Clark "I like to think that I know everything about everything "Griswald?

TFB has about 38 this weeK alone so u must play catch up I guess?

Great thread about Gronk going to rehab...care to join in?

great thread? you're grasping at straws.

Sections
Shortcuts