Re: Play GM:
posted at 2/20/2013 7:55 AM EST
I don't think they can afford to pay Wes 11m this year and do other things to improve the roster as well. Also, bb will find a way to restructure some contracts and let some guys go so he has more cap flexibility.
This is a tough situation. Ideally I would have liked to sign Wes, Talib and vollmer. However, given what it will take and their individual situations, I would opt to not sign any of them unless its a very cap/team friendly deal.
If we have roughly 18m + whatever is saved after restructuring a few contracts and letting a few guys walk, let's say that numiner jumps up to about 22-25m in cap space.
So if we have a starting point of 22m, here are the choices that must be made;
1. I am letting Talib walk. Someone overpays for him. I also don't like how he is so often injured. Do we want to pay a guy 7-8m per who sits on the bench? Before you bring up Gronk or Hern, I am also considering his past run ins which scare me for any long term deal. He was a decent rental for low money. That is far as I want to go..
2. Offer Wes 3 years, 24 m, with 10 guaranteed. Take it or leave it.
3. what will it take to resign vollmer? 5-6m per for 4-5 years with 12m guaranteed? I figure that is the same amount roughly it would take to sign gholdson or maybe Byrd. What is worth more to this team? We have cannon and zucskevis in waiting. Cannon played pretty well while vollmer was out. I roll the dice here and let vollmer walk so I can help sure up The back of my secondary with mccourty and gholdson/Byrd . I am coming out of FA early with a top notch safety oor what I mentioned or a decent corner like DRc. My draft focus is on the one I missed in FA.
4. Resign Edelman, Arrington.
5. Let woody walk.
okay..assuming at this point Wes takes the deal and we get a safety in FA at about 5m per. That consumes 13m of the 22, 9m left to spend.
6. I am looking for OL depth in the neighborhood of 1-2m per. Decent veteran that can play tackle or kick inside.
7. Ideally, would love to sign a Melton or Starks, but again, they will be too costly In FA.
8. Regarding drafting...looking for a big DT like Hankins, Williams to fall to me at 29. If not there, I would be inclined to target Rhodes to play corner. Got to come out of the draft with a cb or safety If we can land an fa. We have enough along the DL but could use upgrades. Safety is secure via FA hopefully and I have decent OL depth by grabbing a vet OL. So, although bb has limited picks in the draft, he has max flexibility because he has done some decent things in FA. tough decisions but I think somewhat necessary ones.