Playcalling

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Indylove. Show Indylove's posts

Playcalling

I have a problem with fans who complain about playcalling, in general. 

Certainly there are some play calls that might produce some complaints, but to bltch about the process in general is bs. 

1st - as fans we have no idea what the team's game plan.  Is an oc going to disobey the head coach if the hc has some specific ideas about how the offense should run? 

2nd - does anyone know whether or not the hc may have made the play call before criticizing the oc or play calling coach? 

3rd - it seems to me that those who criticize playcalling believe that every play should work every time which couldn't be further from the truth.  a) there are execution issues on the offensive side of the ball.  Players do make mistakes.  b) there is a defense on the other side of the ball who has a say in how effective an offensive play is.  sometimes the defense out executes the offense. 

I just get tired of people blaming playcalling. 

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Re: Playcalling

Because they aren't educated enough with the game of football, by trolling here, they get more attention.

They did not get attention as kids, and this is their way to generate it.

Sad, but true.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Indylove. Show Indylove's posts

In Response to Re: Playcalling:
    Because they aren't educated enough with the game of football, by trolling here, they get more attention. They did not get attention as kids, and this is their way to generate it. Sad, but true.
    Posted by BBReigns

And you NEVER start an arguement?  What a tool. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Indylove. Show Indylove's posts

Seriously - this isn't a pats fan only thing, either.  Its an every fan thing who seems to think they can be a better play caller than the coach who has been doing it as a career and has reached the highest level of his profession doing it. 
    Its fandom at its worst. 

You never hear fans complain when plays work.  Was it bad playcalling when a play worked?  Maybe.  Maybe the play fell apart and the players improvised.  Maybe the running back found a hole where one wasn't expected. 

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

In Response to Re: Playcalling : And you NEVER start an arguement?  What a tool. 
    Posted by Indylove

No, I rarely start threads here. I do counter junk I see posted here, which is usually by a troll or pink hat irrational that didn't do their homework.

It's fine to disagree but to wildly complain and not included a context, it's not going to help much in a discussion.

Also, I know WHY you are starting this thread. Your agenda is to prop up Gomer.

Gomer "calls his own plays", right hotshot? He doesn't, but that will be yourclaim to try to pretend and Off Coordinator is not important.

Tom Moore wouldn't have been in Indy since Gomer's rookie year if he wasn't valued.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I explained what his hidden agenda is with this thread, Killa. I have seen this act before from Colts fans.

One of their arguments is Manning calls his own plays. I am sure he does, and so does Brady.

Brady goes to the line with at least 2 plays.  Maybe 3.

Personally, I'd love to know if they are all one style (run or pass) or a mixture based on the personnel.

In principle, I agree with Hayseed, that it's  lame to bash the playcaller as the excuse, but what I see with O'Brien is pretty clear. When he doesn't balance out the plays EARLY in the game, it creates problems later, which is essentially what happened all of last year in the second half.

This year, he has complete brain farts because he wants to implement the spread too fast.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Indylove. Show Indylove's posts

Starting a thread is unrelated to starting an arguement, but I would never expect you to understand that.  

Context?  Ok - go to any message board (including this one) and look for the posters that complain about playcalling as if it is the reason for a team's failure.  In this case, I expected the board to understand what I am saying without having to provide written context about what I mean.  Obviously, I forgot that you are here.  For your benefit, I'll do a better job of "dumbing it down" next time.

Agenda?  Nope.  Wrong.  I've got no other agenda here except to say, I think its ridiculous for fans to complain about playcalling, in general, as if they would somehow be better at it. 

Play calls - sure.  You can have issues with a couple here or there, but in general, I say no. 

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Indylove. Show Indylove's posts

Rusty (and Tas) -

This is not and was not a thread about Manning and I do not intend to get into that, but Russ you have contradicted yourself.

First you said this:
    Gomer "calls his own plays", right hotshot? He doesn't, but that will be yourclaim to try to pretend and Off Coordinator is not important.

Then you said this:
    One of their arguments is Manning calls his own plays. I am sure he does, and so does Brady.

It takes you less than 5 minutes to change your opinion. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Umm, no. It means, each Gomer and Brady have such a status in their positions that they have a lot of autonomy as compared to other QBs in this league.

You think everything is so black and white and exclusive and then you claim someone contradicts what they say. 

Hilarious.

I think this means you are desperate and just got exposed by me.  You started this thread for a reason.  And it won't work.

Brady has as much influence in plays he'd like to run as does Manning.

Ever think certain things are mutli-facted, Mr. Simpleton?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

How do you feel about threads when some one starts out by saying, "I Told you so". Those are the ones I dislike the most. It's like most gamblers that will tell you about every game they win but they forget all the losses.
    Anyway, at least you have the bait in the water here. Let's see what's out there.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Manning gets plays called for him, but in general Moore sends in four plays and they decide at the LOS what they are running.

Brady gets plays called for him too, but has to call out the defense and change aspects of the play, and may change to any number of plays at the LOS depending on the personnel. 

Neither of them has complete autonomy. And everyone calls stupid plays from time to time.

That play on 4-1 (I think we are referring to this?) was silly the first time they called it. It worked earlier in the game. I didn't like it when it worked either.

I liked it less the second time. It was literally 4th and a couple inches. Why not just let the QB squeeze the inches?

The irony is that everyone on the Chargers knew it was coming, and bit so hard in the direction, that all BJGE needs to do is cut it back inside and he gets and easy three yards IMO.

But that is his flaw as a runner. He is too mono-directional and never bounces to an alternate lane, and has zero upfield vision IMO.

SO yes. It is a situation where it is NOT all playcalling. Certainly BJGE could have cut it inside, although that isn't by design. Certainly SD was all over it, and NE simply cannot muster the blockers to cover it because they are short two players, QB and RB. But NO I think you can certainly say that running that particular play in a situation where all you need is an inch is not the best call by O'Brien. 

If Brady had snuck and failed, I wouldn't complain as much, except to say the OL needs to be able to clear an inch in the clutch. This play forces them to clear 3-4 yards of space to make one inch of forward motion .... it simply doesn't make sense. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BelichickDisciple. Show BelichickDisciple's posts

I agree with your first sentence of the first bullet point - "as fans, we have no idea what the gameplan [is]". 

This makes analysis by casual fans pure speculation. It's clear that BB does not particularly care about game stats for example, other than the score at the end of the game (and maybe turnover ratio). On defense, I think he is content to allows lots of yard between the 20's, if the big play is prevented, or if the main facet of the opponent's game gets shut down. He isn't wedded to one particular style of offensive play (running vs. passing, long ball vs. dink and dunk...). He will take what he is given. 

If you think of yesterday's game, he is probably very happy with the defense - it looked like they committed to stop the run (Vince Wilfork lined up as DE) and were content to let Rivers pass all day. 

BB defies convention, and creates a unique gameplan each week for the particular opponent. This is why its is so endlessly fascinating to watch the Pats, and why they are a unique team in the league. 

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Indylove. Show Indylove's posts

Umm, no. It means, each Gomer and Brady have such a status in their positions that they have a lot of autonomy as compared to other QBs in this league. You think everything is so black and white and exclusive and then you claim someone contradicts what they say.  Hilarious. I think this means you are desperate and just got exposed by me.  You started this thread for a reason.  And it won't work. Brady has as much influence in plays he'd like to run as does Manning. Ever think certain things are mutli-facted, Mr. Simpleton?
    Posted by BBReigns

Russ - don't try to squirrel away from this one.  Here's what you said (AGAIN FOR EMPHASIS):

First:

Then:

Can't be anymore black and white than that.  Everyone knows that, but (I guess) you.   

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Indylove. Show Indylove's posts

In Response to Playcalling : What bugs me most about fans griping about playcalling is the refusal to blame players for not executing. 
    Posted by STP43FAN

and/or to give credit where credit is due.  Sometimes the opponent wins those battles and that is the reason for the lack of execution.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

In Response to Re: Playcalling : Russ - don't try to squirrel away from this one.  Here's what you said (AGAIN FOR EMPHASIS): First: Gomer "calls his own plays", right hotshot? He doesn't , but that will be yourclaim to try to pretend and Off Coordinator is not important. Then: One of their arguments is Manning calls his own plays. I am sure he does , and so does Brady. Can't be anymore black and white than that.  Everyone knows that, but (I guess) you.   
    Posted by Indylove

Exclusively, he doesn't otherwise Tom Moore wouldn't be there.  Exclusively.

You like to nit-pick.   I should have wrote "exclusively", because if you look at the entire context of my point, that's what I think you are trying to get at. I was emphasizing the idea that he isn't in charge of his own plays, which is always a little attempt by Colts rubes to proclaim Manning is somehow superior to Brady.

It's a misnomer. Gomer doesn't call his own plays 100% of the time. Flat out lie, by drippy Colts goobers like yourself.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Indylove. Show Indylove's posts

In Response to Re: Playcalling : Exclusively, he doesn't otherwise Tom Moore wouldn't be there.  Exclusively. You like to nit-pick.   I should have wrote "exclusively", because if you look at the entire context of my point, that's what I think you are trying to get at. I was emphasizing the idea that he isn't in charge of his own plays, which is always a little attempt by Colts rubes to proclaim Manning is somehow superior to Brady. It's a misnomer. Gomer doesn't call his own plays 100% of the time. Flat out lie, by drippy Colts goobers like yourself.
    Posted by BBReigns

Nitpick??  This has nothing to do with me.  If you want people to understand your perspective then YOU need to learn to express yourself better.  

Not only did you express yourself poorly and now are backpedaling, but more importantly, you completely failed to grasp the very simple and obvious point of the original post.  This thread was started without any thought of Brady vs. Manning or Manning vs. Brady.  That you immediately jumped to that conclusion is another mistake by you.  If you need further proof then go back and read the first post.  You are constantly telling others that they need to understand you.  The fact is YOU need to understand others. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

That's fine. I should have said "exclusively".  I didn't make myself clear up front, but I did after that first post.

You aren't going to win this one, though. I have you pegged and Gomer has had the same coordinator since 1998.

I wish Brady had that luxury.

24. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts