Player Availability

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

Player Availability

there are more RFAs than UFAs because of the lack of the salary cap. The conventional wisdom says big-name, high-impact players wont be available. At the same time, teams have the option to cut vets with bloated salaries without a big caphit. (Deion Branch, Adalius Thomas)
    Isn't it possible that some talented vets could end be more available for the pats roster because of this?I've tried to express this idea in posts before but i don't think i was clear. Is there the possibility that more talented veteran players will be available than usual? If so, Belichick, who understands how to utilize vets better than anyone could make a killing (hopefully)
    I don't  understand all the issues at hand. Is there the possibilty that the patriots could benefit from this unique environment?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

Re: Player Availability

I think that's a logical assumption.  I'm sure other teams have their "Adaliuses" they'd like to move on from but won't be able to trade because of bad contracts.

That would be a good research exercise for some of the Pats beat writers.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

"That would be a good research exercise for some of the Pats beat writers."

LOL ~ That's funny!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MordecaiBloodmoon. Show MordecaiBloodmoon's posts

You are correct, however that also means the contracted is bloated because they didnt play upto it.  So do we want underperformers?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

"You are correct, however that also means the contracted is bloated because they didnt play upto it.  So do we want underperformers?"

Probably not but you never know if someone may perform better in another system or environment.  Look at someone like Banta-Cain.  Wasn't worth what 49ers gave him in free agency but while not outstanding, he was able to fill a role here after he was cut.  Unfortunately, Pats haven't hit on too many of these signings in the past couple yrs.

A few yrs earlier, Pats did bring in useful veterans that were considered as past their prime or nothing special by their former teams .  Guys like Pleasant, Hamilton, Phifer, Poole, Vrabel, Antowain Smith, Otis Smith, Harrison, Gaffney became big contributors.