Players Pats passed on that they will regret later...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1020us. Show m1020us's posts

Re: Players Pats passed on that they will regret later...

I got two words for you:  Pat White if he's as good in the Wildcat as Ronnie Brown is, then we're gonna have a lot of problems with Miami
    Posted by PatsFan1979

No we won't.  We didn't expect it the first game that we played against them, we were caught off guard.  We were ready for them in the second game and defended the Wildcat ok.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

These are all players patriots could have taken in the draft that they decided to pass on which will end up being big mistakes down the road..... Rey Maualuga ILB Clay Mathews OLB Clint Sintim OLB Paul Kruger OLB (I really liked him) Lawrence Sidburry OLB Jasper Brinkley ILB (was still available in 5th round!!!!!!) Victor "macho" Harris DB (also was available in 5th round) Scott Mckillop ILB (5th round) Heres a list of guys they passed on in the last few drafts when they wouldn't take LB's in the early rounds...... 2007 - Pats take Merriweather 23rd overal..... Jon Beason ILB (Carolina picked 24th) Paul Posluzny LB (34th, great player!) David Harris ILB (47th pick great rookie season for jets, hurt last year) LaMarr Woodley OLB (46th pick, great pass rusher!!) Justin Durant LB (48th 2nd round, good player for Jaguars) 2006 - Took Maroney 21st in 1st round...... Demeco Ryans LB (33rd pick made pro bowl rookie season i think) D'Qwell Jackson ILB (34th pick, been very good for Browns 3-4 D) Rocky McIntosh LB (35th pick by Wash) Patriots traded up to 36 pick to take Chad Jackson!!! Thomas Howard LB (38th pick by Oak very good outside linebacker) Daryll Tapp DE/LB (63rd last in 2nd round, could play outside LB in 3-4) Other good LB's were drafted in the 3rd and 4th round that year....Leon Williams by browns, has been productive LB for them 2005 Lofa Tatupu ILB (2nd round , pro bowler) Kevin Burnett LB (2nd round, very good for Cowboys) Matt McCoy LB (2nd round, had break out year for Eagles this year) Odell Thurman ILB (2nd round, great rookie year, suspended now 3 years in a row, maybe not if with patriots) Barrett Ruud (2nd round, good player for Tampa) Channing Crowder (3rd round, Miami) Kirk Morrison(3rd round Oakland, very good player, ranked a 92 in Madden!)
    Posted by Wingman23

Wingman, if you say that all of the players you mention are sure things and that you've seen them all play for more than just a few plays or one game, then you should be in the scouting business.  I'm sure the Pats personnel guys pored over film for hours, interviewed coaches, etc. to make their decisions.  You are putting yourself out there as knowing better.  And you have the benefit of hindsight for the other comments you made.  Not coming down on you, but don't you think the pros know better than you maybe? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 347pg. Show 347pg's posts

I thought that when they let Maualuga and Laurenitis go by, that maybe something was still in the works for Taylor or Peppers.  maybe BB is letting the price for Peppers go down and Carolina's urgency to trade him go up.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

what I didnt like seeing was the Dolphins drafting a bunch of big CBs, we left Vonte Davis on the board and he went to the Dolphins. If he ends up a good player we will regret not drafting him. He is big enought o cover Moss if he can keep up with him.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

We can look also flip this coin, how many teams passed on TB, RS, VW, TB ect

Man if they hit 100% of the time I would love for them to pick my lottery tickets.  Part of the excitment of the draft to me is who is that sleeper or that guy that falls who everyone thought it was a sure thing.  We've missed one some hit on others all and all I think BB is still the best at it IMO.

Great thread though, I don't think we'll be sorry because the guys we picked are going to prove to be great for the team.  Can't have them all as much as I would have like to have Chung Butler Harris Davis Sean Smith, wow imagine a secondary in three years with all those guys in it.  that would be sick but anyways Pats did a good job adding talent and taking care of what should be a stronger draft next year.  Next year we don't need to move up and draft DL if we loss all our guys to FA the same goes for the OL.  We'll have guys with one year in the system.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Here's my answer to that analogy: After your first pick in the draft every player after that pick becomes one you might wind up regretting for not taking the individual in question.BB is one of the top talent evaluators in football,so if he's OK with who he drafted I'm surely not going to cry over spilt milk...I counted 7 guys on the draft list who are going to be impact players in the NFL,whether they make the Patriots or not is entirely up to them.Effort,Execution,enthusiasm,energy and general football knowledge will determine their place in the NFL.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

I won't miss one of those players. Matthews, Maualuga, and Cushing were all over-rated. Well, as it turns out Maualuga was so over-rated because he ended up sitting around a while.

None of those players would do anything but chew up a bunch of money on this squad while competing for a job. I said it before the draft, USC linebackers this year were tremendously over-rated. I am glad Ne saw it the same way.

Kruger could have been a decent value at #58, but hewas picked at #57 and I wouldn't have picked him any higher than where he went. And I certainly wouldn't take him over Chung, Butler or Brace.

Trust me. In five years people are going to say Clay Matthews? Wasn't he a linebacker for the Browns? And Cushing who?

Wow Z, bold predictions back then. I'll be honest I saw Maualuga as being over rated but I remember trading out of the Matthews pick and being upset. 

I thought Matthews was good and Cushing could be serviceable 

Sadly, your prediction on all three of these guys was way off... Sadly. Wish we had Clay

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to Wingman23's comment:

The Patriots just havn't drafted very well in the past few years compared to some of the other top teams in the league like the Steelers, Giants, chargers, Eagles, Colts.  Just look at the players they have got in the early rounds and even in the later rounds.  Hopefully this year is different and butler and the others pan out.  

Take away the Giants. Are you telling me that these teams you say have drafted better achieved more success than the Pats year in year out?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MileHighMke. Show MileHighMke's posts

I won't miss one of those players. Matthews, Maualuga, and Cushing were all over-rated. Well, as it turns out Maualuga was so over-rated because he ended up sitting around a while.

None of those players would do anything but chew up a bunch of money on this squad while competing for a job. I said it before the draft, USC linebackers this year were tremendously over-rated. I am glad Ne saw it the same way.

Kruger could have been a decent value at #58, but hewas picked at #57 and I wouldn't have picked him any higher than where he went. And I certainly wouldn't take him over Chung, Butler or Brace.

Trust me. In five years people are going to say Clay Matthews? Wasn't he a linebacker for the Browns? And Cushing who?

Does this zbellino guy still post here often?  If so you guys might not want to take his football talk seriously anymore.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Is there a point to dredging up a five year old thread? My guess is we've all been wrong a time or three, as have every NFL team you can name.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

umm, not so much. I STILL want Cushing here. Last year he was the only guy I saw completely punk M.Lynch. Came at him hard, early and often,. Blew him up and made him fumble. The guy headbutted a lineman....with his helmet OFF. Give me those guys any and every day of the week. We need more and just lost one (Spikes)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Yawn! How many other teams passed on these guys? Whine and b!tch some more.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Yeah but if we drafted Cushing and he finished 2 years on IR he would be considered a bust by the hind sight champions of the world.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

The Pats have drafted pretty well overall since BB took over. Everybody misses some. The Colts probably thought they were set when they drafted Addai, but their first pick in this draft was a RB. Six players in the top 100 should give us 2-3 solid and maybe star players. Good draft. Great trades. Glad Hobbs is gone as well.

I wouldn't have believed it if it I didn't see it for myself.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

Yeah but if we drafted Cushing and he finished 2 years on IR he would be considered a bust by the hind sight champions of the world.

This, and he was a cheater so the haters would have had a field day. "How could Belichick not have known he'd break down, the whole world knew he was a steroid abuser. Another draft failure..." I can see it now.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

In response to mbeaulieu07's comment:

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

The Pats have drafted pretty well overall since BB took over. Everybody misses some. The Colts probably thought they were set when they drafted Addai, but their first pick in this draft was a RB. Six players in the top 100 should give us 2-3 solid and maybe star players. Good draft. Great trades. Glad Hobbs is gone as well.

I wouldn't have believed it if it I didn't see it for myself.

Yeah, I caught that one too........we went from complete "mediocre" to "pretty well"....maybe Babe smoked a bowl before typing? LOL

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

The Patriots also could have swung a huge trade-up for JaMarcus Russell or Vernon Gholston.

The rules are:  the Patriots can only have about 3% of all the NFL players, both good players and JAGs.  The other 97% have to go elsewhere.  Furthermore, the Patriots have to draft near the bottom of the first round for every single year in this century except after the 2000 season, or in any year where they swindle San Francisco's front office out of Mayo.  It's called parity.

The only good reason for regrets is wisdom for the next draft.  If a scout nailed most of his critical calls, extend his contract.  If he flubbed too many calls, fire him.

Last year's draft class came on pretty well for their drafting positions.  #52 Jamie Collins was starting in January, and looked ok.  Dobson went on IR but at least he was downfield.  Logan Ryan and Duron Harmon both looked ok for rookies.  Boyce caught a few.  For all of these positions, players tend to blossom after a year.  Edelman took 5 years to get hot, but he was a quarterback. 

In 2012, Hightower and Chandler Jones were as advertised if not better.  Tavon Wilson and Bequette have been busts somewhat worthy of firing someone. 

In 2011, Nate has been great.  Ras-I was a silly name, but otherwise he was a bust.  Shane Vereen and Stevan Ridley were both keepers.  BB seems to have really liked Mallett, but the insurance policy stayed on the shelf so we don't know.  Marcus Cannon in the fifth round gets somebody a raise.

In 2010, McCourty is worth a small raise for someone.  Gronk at #42 is worth a big raise, even if he's injured half the time.  Cunningham was an expensive bust worthy of firing someone.  Brandon Spikes is worth a small raise.  Taylor Price at #90 was a bust.  Hernandez at #113 is a real head scratcher, given all the yardage he made.  Drafting Zoltan Mesko was worth a small raise for someone because he was good for three years and just got caught in a numbers game against the wrong young phenom at the wrong contract time.  Lots of sixth and seventh rounders didn't work out -- meh, and maybe a dirty look at the scouts that picked them.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

31 Teams passed on Brady.....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:

In response to TrueChamp's comment:

This, and he was a cheater so the haters would have had a field day. "How could Belichick not have known he'd break down, the whole world knew he was a steroid abuser. Another draft failure..." I can see it now.

Yep, he would now be considered a huge risk because he stubbed his toe in highschool or something, or used to be a bully in the play ground. He probably showed a propensity of disregarding authority..GASP, or maybe he even "SMOKED POT" Surprised

Belichick would have ben gambling on him and losing after 2 seasons of IR, but Kubiak was a genius for drafting him and extending him 6 years for 55 million with 22 guaranteed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In response to MileHighMke's comment:

Does this zbellino guy still post here often?  If so you guys might not want to take his football talk seriously anymore.

Why should we take what you say seriously? You were told about Peyton yet refused to believe.

How good of a year did Cushing have this year? What about Matthews? It looks like both of them are starting to break down. Possibly from steriod use.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

In response to joepatsfan111111's comment:

Wow Z, bold predictions back then. I'll be honest I saw Maualuga as being over rated but I remember trading out of the Matthews pick and being upset. 

I thought Matthews was good and Cushing could be serviceable 

Sadly, your prediction on all three of these guys was way off... Sadly. Wish we had Clay

How good of a year did Cushing have this year? What about Matthews? It looks like both of them are starting to break down. Possibly from steriod use. Who's Maualuga? Looks like Z's prediction might be right on.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to rtuinila's comment:

Why should we take what you say seriously? You were told about Peyton yet refused to believe.

How good of a year did Cushing have this year? What about Matthews? It looks like both of them are starting to break down. Possibly from steriod use.

Im not playing the "we should have " game but Cushing had some decent stats but only played in 7 games. Mayo played in how many last year? 

see how that works?

Cushing is the only guy like I said who absolutely took it to Lynch and made him look less than beastly. He blew him up in the hole and made him fumble. He Bring it. He is a bit crazy. Thats how I like my backers. To each his own.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to Wingman23's comment:

These are all players patriots could have taken in the draft that they decided to pass on which will end up being big mistakes down the road.....

Rey Maualuga ILB
    Clay Mathews OLB
    Clint Sintim OLB
    Paul Kruger OLB (I really liked him)
    Lawrence Sidburry OLB
    Jasper Brinkley ILB (was still available in 5th round!!!!!!)
    Victor "macho" Harris DB (also was available in 5th round)
    Scott Mckillop ILB (5th round)

Heres a list of guys they passed on in the last few drafts when they wouldn't take LB's in the early rounds......

2007 - Pats take Merriweather 23rd overal.....
    Jon Beason ILB (Carolina picked 24th)
    Paul Posluzny LB (34th, great player!)
    David Harris ILB (47th pick great rookie season for jets, hurt last year)
    LaMarr Woodley OLB (46th pick, great pass rusher!!)
    Justin Durant LB (48th 2nd round, good player for Jaguars)

2006 - Took Maroney 21st in 1st round......

Demeco Ryans LB (33rd pick made pro bowl rookie season i think)
    D'Qwell Jackson ILB (34th pick, been very good for Browns 3-4 D)
    Rocky McIntosh LB (35th pick by Wash)
    Patriots traded up to 36 pick to take Chad Jackson!!!
    Thomas Howard LB (38th pick by Oak very good outside linebacker)
    Daryll Tapp DE/LB (63rd last in 2nd round, could play outside LB in 3-4)
    Other good LB's were drafted in the 3rd and 4th round that year....Leon Williams by browns, has been productive LB for them

Lofa Tatupu ILB (2nd round , pro bowler)
    Kevin Burnett LB (2nd round, very good for Cowboys)
    Matt McCoy LB (2nd round, had break out year for Eagles this year)
    Odell Thurman ILB (2nd round, great rookie year, suspended now 3 years in a row, maybe not if with patriots)
    Barrett Ruud (2nd round, good player for Tampa)
    Channing Crowder (3rd round, Miami)
    Kirk Morrison(3rd round Oakland, very good player, ranked a 92 in Madden!)

on one hand every team but the one that drafted them missed on all these players and all teams fans can look back with 20/20 hindsight and say this

then again since Bellichick is supposed to be the "Greatest" GM ever...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

In response to rtuinila's comment:

Im not playing the "we should have " game but Cushing had some decent stats but only played in 7 games. Mayo played in how many last year? 

see how that works?

Cushing is the only guy like I said who absolutely took it to Lynch and made him look less than beastly. He blew him up in the hole and made him fumble. He Bring it. He is a bit crazy. Thats how I like my backers. To each his own.

Cushing has had his own little dance with PEDS.......

Just sayin'

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

i doubt they are saying that about Matthews he is the real deal

Sections
Shortcuts