Players thats got away.....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Re: Players thats got away.....

Vinatieri and Samuel and I guess Law did well after leaving, but none performed BETTER than what they were here.

Very short list.

I had to bitchslap Jets trolls here, most notably our friend PhatRex/Patsman 2 when he was under a different name, earlier this season in August.

He claimed Belichick had nothing to do with players getting worse or not performning better elsehwere.

lol

Look at how much better his defenses were once Pete Carroll left, too. Carroll had a lot of good talent, but once the bloated contracts forced Kraft/Grier/BB to restructure, the Milloys, Laws, Bruschis, McGinests, Ted Johnsons, etc, really took off under BB's coaching.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

I have ben saying this for the past 6 years. Only a few have had similar/better success elsewhere.
    Add Cassell to the list that should be as good if not a chance to be better. Most if not all of his abilities lie at the feet of learning IMHO from Brady.
    I know this was a trade............not FA

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

vrabel has been a good leader to the young Kansas city defense.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

There are plenty of examples of Pats players going elsewhere and being decent, but Vrabel is not remotely close to what he was in NE.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Curtis Martin

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I think perhaps the only one they would regret letting get away would be Samuel. Law was good for a couple seasons after he left, but wasn't worth the deal at his age and it showed. Vinateri's an all time great, but you could argue they have gotten more quality kicks for less cash out of Ghost, so that is a wash with better payroll structure. 

However, Asante was a different story. Count me among the people that didn't think it would take Bill so long to replace him, and among those who thought a league tops deal was a bit much for a zone corner who is a subpar tackler. 

Hindsight being what it is, by the time Samuel's contract was in year two, the CB market had escalated to the point where Samuel's deal looked almost like a bargain. He is one of the elite playmaking CBs in the game, and is only top ten in total salary.

Couple that with the subsequent difficulty Ne had bringing in a viable replacement through draft or FA, until they struck twice with Bodden and McCourty, and he may regret that one a bit.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I think this person means the BB regime, not all time.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

A lot or most, except for Samuel, were in the latter part of their careers, which probably affects how they performed elsewhere too. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

In Response to Re: Players thats got away.....:
    [QUOTE]Curtis Martin
    Posted by Rocky[/QUOTE]

(oops...my bad he was prior, can you tell it hurt...lol)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from expertmike. Show expertmike's posts

[QUOTE]Curtis Martin
    Posted by Rocky[/QUOTE]

Yep - Curtis Martin

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking11. Show harleyroadking11's posts

Jim Plunkett and Mike Haynes

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Woodhead. Oh no, whoops, that was the Jets. LOL

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]I think this person means the BB regime, not all time.
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I thought that was understood.

Although extending it outward, I think we could argue letting Martin go and letting Irving Fryar go, both of whom went on to fantastic careers, with hated rivals, would be moves the franchise regrets.

I think Vrabel was washed, for sure, but I still can't help thinking BB would have preferred his veteran leadership last season when certain cankerous players really dragged the team down. But I can't think of anyone on the roster the last couple seasons that he would have beat out for a spot on athletic ability alone. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking11. Show harleyroadking11's posts

excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse mmmmmmeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Hmmm. Could we say Branch? He stunk and was hurt all the time for Seattle, but one could imagine the difference he might have made in 2006 alone when Reche "Bugeyes" Caldwell dropped the season away .... Branch had a decent season that year, but the point is that while he never was nor will he ever be a classic "ace" WR, we can count on him to not drop a game winner ... he is as reliable as they come.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Players thats got away..... : Yeah, I thought that was understood. Although extending it outward, I think we could argue letting Martin go and letting Irving Fryar go, both of whom went on to fantastic careers, with hated rivals, would be moves the franchise regrets. I think Vrabel was washed, for sure, but I still can't help thinking BB would have preferred his veteran leadership last season when certain cankerous players really dragged the team down. But I can't think of anyone on the roster the last couple seasons that he would have beat out for a spot on athletic ability alone. 
    Posted by zbellino[/QUOTE]

I think Vrabel was also dumped because he was a player rep and may have rattled the cage a little bit. That seemed to be the insinuation in the media, anyway.

So, his "leadership" value was probably seen as compromised after 2008.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

I think McCourty is way better then Samuael ever was. At least McCourty covers receivers and doesn't just jump routes. I was never a big Assante fan and even less from the Superbowl. Curtis Martin was constantly on the Trump shuttle back and forth between Ny and NE.

To add to the thread I'd say Stallworth has done as well or better on the field then in NE.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I was a big Samuel fan and I agree with that.  Samuel did not really develop into an upper tier CB until 2005, when he started catching INTs he used to drop.  He was physical, used the sideline well and baited QBs as good as I have ever seen.

McCourty is light years above any rookie CB I have seen in the last 15 years of the NFL.

No lie.   Maybe someone like a Ronde Barber comes to mind as looking as complete as this when he was a rookie. Maybe Law and Champ Bailey, but I don't think it's a stretch to say McCourty is easily as good as they were out of the gate, if not more impressive.

Name a rookie CB who has been so technically sound in all facets like this. It's pretty tough to do. Most rookies are hidden in a good defense if they peform well like this, yet McCourty was really part of a D in transition.

He plays great in man, zone, he hits, he creates turnovers, he baits QBs, he tackles well, etc.

You can literally count on one hand how many times he was beaten this year.

More than impressive for a rookie and he's BETTER than Revis ever dreamt of being in 2007 or 2008.   And this year, for that matter.

McCourty />Revis

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Players thats got away..... : .... I think Vrabel was washed, for sure, but I still can't help thinking BB would have preferred his veteran leadership last season when certain cankerous players really dragged the team down. But I can't think of anyone on the roster the last couple seasons that he would have beat out for a spot on athletic ability alone. 

He was better than Burgess. Nobody this year though.

Old school, the two HOFers that got away: Haynes and Buoniconti.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrocktonMike. Show BrocktonMike's posts

[QUOTE]Curtis Martin
    Posted by Rocky[/QUOTE]

This is one that really hurts.  Curtis played in NY the same way he played in NE, with heart, character and class.  Something the current Jet staff and team could learn a lesson from.  

I never stopped being a Curtis fan.  In many ways he was like sweetness, and when he retired, he didn't let them make a big fanfare about it.

He's one of the few Jets I support making it into the HOF on the first ballot.  

I think I'm in a majority on that.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

[QUOTE]Hmmm. Could we say Branch? He stunk and was hurt all the time for Seattle, but one could imagine the difference he might have made in 2006 alone when Reche "Bugeyes" Caldwell dropped the season away .... Branch had a decent season that year, but the point is that while he never was nor will he ever be a classic "ace" WR, we can count on him to  not  drop a game winner ... he is as reliable as they come.  

Absolutely Branch. He would be one of the top players that we should have retained. I think we would have won 1 if not 2 more SB's with a healthy Branch on the team. 2006 as you reference losing in the AFC champsionship game, Branch would have made a big difference...and I would argue again in 2007 where we needed a guy like Branch who had chemistry with TB and knew how to adjust to defenses with TB. With Wes and Branch in 07 at WR, that Giants pass rush could've been slowed down.

Hate looking back like that,but I would argue Branch was the 1 player in BB's tenure that he wished he resigned and kept as a Patriot.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TampaPete. Show TampaPete's posts

Since we have gotten far afield here: Carlton Fisk, Rick Burleson (The Rooster), and Freddie Lynn.

Back to the topic, you could argue that Bledsoe had some moments both at Buffalo and Dallas, but the guy never learned to step up in the pocket or adjust to a short passing game, and he ran like a giraffe on stilts (I stole that line). Bottom line, Brady was better and ran the offense the way the coaches wanted it run.

Terry Glenn's stats at Green Bay and Dallas pretty much matched his production at New England except for his rookie year 90 receptions. He just never got with the Belichick program though and had to go. He didn't receive a ring for 2001 and screwed himself out of two more.

Belichick's policy is to get rid of a guy a year too early rather than a year too late. It seems to be working. I don't miss Samuel because I see him whiff on tackles every time I watch an Iggles game. I don't blame him for avoiding contact because he is a bit fragile. The thing is, he is no Deion Sanders.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from wolfwood. Show wolfwood's posts

the only one that eneded up hurting us more that i though it would was Asante,  vinnateri didnt bother me as much , but he further solidified his clutchness over the last few years in Indy

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from irishfanatic. Show irishfanatic's posts

Maroney......only problem was he didn't get away sooner.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

In the 2000's I'm thinking Samuel, Branch, Gaffney all in order.  Replace Reche Caldwell with Branch and we don't lose against Indy.  Gaffney could have helped out a lot last year.  If we still had Samuel, Bodden, and McCourty in our secondary to go with our safety group... wow.

Sections
Shortcuts